Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who should the Giants use their Franchise Tag on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should the Giants use their Franchise Tag on?
Will Beatty OT ($9.660 million)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Kenny Phillips S ($6.978 million)
64%
 64%  [ 11 ]
Martellus Bennett TE ($5.962 million)
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

minutemancl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want KP back if he demands big money. We already have a younger KP without the injury concerns on the roster (Will Hill). Rolle, Hill, and Stevie Brown would make for a great 3 safety look, and we even have Sash in reserve.

I'd rather use the money we would throw at KP to lock up Cruz or Nicks long term.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:

So its even worst... This was not a minor injury or he would have played in more games

An MCL sprain is around a 4-6 week injury. They were on the cautious side and let him wait until after the bye week. He re-injured it that week after.

Here's a few interesting stats I found from an article online about KP:
- Giants had a 4-3 record in games that KP played. They gave up 16.85 PPG (2nd), 112.85 RPG (15th), 226.7 PaPG (17th), which adds up to 340 YPG (13th).
- Giants had a 5-4 record without KP. They gave up 25.1 PPG (27th), 141.89 RPG (31st), 275.8 PaPG (30th), which adds up to 417.11 YPG (31st).

Some drastic differences in the quality of the defense when KP plays. It doesn't take into account opponents, injuries, etc. but those raw stats sure are telling.
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
Acgott wrote:

So its even worst... This was not a minor injury or he would have played in more games

An MCL sprain is around a 4-6 week injury. They were on the cautious side and let him wait until after the bye week. He re-injured it that week after.

Here's a few interesting stats I found from an article online about KP:
- Giants had a 4-3 record in games that KP played. They gave up 16.85 PPG (2nd), 112.85 RPG (15th), 226.7 PaPG (17th), which adds up to 340 YPG (13th).
- Giants had a 5-4 record without KP. They gave up 25.1 PPG (27th), 141.89 RPG (31st), 275.8 PaPG (30th), which adds up to 417.11 YPG (31st).

Some drastic differences in the quality of the defense when KP plays. It doesn't take into account opponents, injuries, etc. but those raw stats sure are telling.

I have no doubt Phillips is a good player, but we cannot count on him to be a consistent player for us with his injury history at his price.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Marty B. Given the glut of free agent OTs and the deep draft class, I think we can get Beatty at a fair price. I want to see what the black Unicorn can do with a year in this system under his belt
GiantAl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
I don't want KP back if he demands big money. We already have a younger KP without the injury concerns on the roster (Will Hill). Rolle, Hill, and Stevie Brown would make for a great 3 safety look, and we even have Sash in reserve.

I'd rather use the money we would throw at KP to lock up Cruz or Nicks long term.

100% agreed.
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way I look at it is I would have no problem giving KP what he wants on a multi-year deal if i knew he was going to be able to stay on the field... he is that much of a difference maker... but since we don't know if he can stay healthy, it makes sense to franchise him, giving him good money but giving us flexibility should he get injured again

I definitely don't see beatty getting franchised... doesnt make much sense to do so... same with martellus... I think giving him a one year deal would only hurt us... if he had another good year and was a ufa next year after a good year, he'd probably ask for more than he will ask for this offseason... it'd probably be better to either lock him up now, or move on

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Bennett. While people say he is replacable, who could we possibly replace him with based on the outlook of the draft and FA. At least with KP, as was said, we still have Rolle, Brown, Hill, and Sash on the roster already.
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
I say Bennett. While people say he is replacable, who could we possibly replace him with based on the outlook of the draft and FA. At least with KP, as was said, we still have Rolle, Brown, Hill, and Sash on the roster already.

and Beatty?
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:

and Beatty?

Cap Hit is too much. We should be able to resign him for less. Bennett has basically little to no competition for top TE in FA. Beatty could possibly be the 5th most wanted LT in FA, not to mention the big 3 in the draft.
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franchise Beatty. Offer KP an incentive laden contract similar to T2. Make Marty B a "responsible" offer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
Franchise Beatty. Offer KP an incentive laden contract similar to T2. Make Marty B a "responsible" offer.

I don't get why people on here think KP would accept such an offer... He has no incentive to take that kind of offer when other teams will pay the man... offering him a short term incentive based contract is the same thing as saying "its been nice knowing ya, good luck elsewhere"

Franchising Beatty at that cap amount just doesn't make sense to me and while franchising MB is an option, I doubt they will do it. I think its KP or nobody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:

I don't get why people on here think KP would accept such an offer... He has no incentive to take that kind of offer when other teams will pay the man... offering him a short term incentive based contract is the same thing as saying "its been nice knowing ya, good luck elsewhere"

Franchising Beatty at that cap amount just doesn't make sense to me and while franchising MB is an option, I doubt they will do it. I think its KP or nobody

This. Taking an incentive laden offer would possibly work if KP was coming off an injury. He's just coming off a season where he missed a bunch of games and...blames the Giants training staff for not preparing him properly. He wouldn't sign it and we may have to overpay to keep him...thus why I think they'll use the tag on him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: