Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who should the Giants use their Franchise Tag on?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should the Giants use their Franchise Tag on?
Will Beatty OT ($9.660 million)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Kenny Phillips S ($6.978 million)
64%
 64%  [ 11 ]
Martellus Bennett TE ($5.962 million)
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Who should the Giants use their Franchise Tag on? Reply with quote

Simple question. Just interested in hearing some of the feedback of fellow posters. The Giants have historically been skeptical to use the Franchise Tag on players, but it seems like Jerry Reese has changed this mindset. They used the tag on Steve Weatherford last year, and used it on Brandon Jacobs a few years prior to that. They use this tactic more to ensure the player stays on the team while negotiating a long-term deal.

But because of their lack of cap space this offseason, I think the Giants will be using their franchise tag on someone who they believe they cannot re-sign. I look at these three guys as the most likely candidates for the Franchise Tag:

- Will Beatty ($9.660 million)
- Kenny Phillips ($6.798 million)
- Martellus Bennett ($5.962 million)

Who is most deserving of the tag?

My opinion (which I've stated on here before) is to tag Kenny Phillips. He isn't the most important of the bunch, Beatty is, but KP's tag number is the one that is most similar to his actual price tag. I don't think it's time for the Giants to give him a big contract, but I also don't think it's time to give up on KP completely. Give him this one-year deal to prove that he is healthy and a difference maker on the field. Fans are enamored with what Stevie Brown did this year, but he wasn't a very good safety outside of his uncanny ability to create turnovers. That won't happen again. I think the Giants need to bring back the x-factor of that secondary which was derailed last year when KP went down to injury.
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatty

I do not trust Phillips anymore and Bennent is replaceable
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Beatty

What's not to trust? (Other than that degenerative knee injury from 2009)
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
Acgott wrote:
Beatty

What's not to trust? (Other than that degenerative knee injury from 2009)

His knee injury, I cannot count on him to be a player that is counted on and a major member of this team. Giants must get his replacement
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking is this. We gave Martty B a 4M dollar contract last year when he had proven little to nothing. This year he has proven he can play a bit. Is he worth a bump of 2M dollars based on that? I think so. Especially considering he'd still be on a one year deal.

^Stone85 on the sig^
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:

His knee injury, I cannot count on him to be a player that is counted on and a major member of this team. Giants must get his replacement

I don't know if you were aware of this before, but the injury to his MCL this season was to his RIGHT knee, where as the microfracture surgery he had in 2009 was on his LEFT knee. His degenerative knee injury hasn't caused any problems since that original surgery. He played in 35 of 36 possible games the last two years before this season when he injured MCL. And it wasn't even a tear. Plus he's only 26 years old. He's got a lot of football left in him...
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
My thinking is this. We gave Martty B a 4M dollar contract last year when he had proven little to nothing. This year he has proven he can play a bit. Is he worth a bump of 2M dollars based on that? I think so. Especially considering he'd still be on a one year deal.

He may be worth it, just not to the Giants. They wouldn't even give Boss $4 million annually because they knew they can find a replacement no problems. MartyB is going to have to accept a hometown discount, which he said he is willing to entertain, if he wants to remain a Giant. I'd give him $4-4.5 million tops, but he isn't worth more than that to this team because we have the best TE coach in the biz.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possible. But out of all of those guys I see him most likely to get franchised.

Would like KP back but not at that money. Same with Beatty.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
Acgott wrote:

I don't know if you were aware of this before, but the injury to his MCL this season was to his RIGHT knee, where as the microfracture surgery he had in 2009 was on his LEFT knee. His degenerative knee injury hasn't caused any problems since that original surgery. He played in 35 of 36 possible games the last two years before this season when he injured MCL. And it wasn't even a tear. Plus he's only 26 years old. He's got a lot of football left in him...

Major injuries in both knees is not good. I love KP, but we need to replace him. He cannot be counted on to be a consistent player for us
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:

Major injuries in both knees is not good. I love KP, but we need to replace him. He cannot be counted on to be a consistent player for us

An MCL sprain is not a major injury. There's no reason not to think of him as a consistent player for us, as he was arguably the most consistent player on our defense for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. One season where he got injured then re-aggravated it doesn't make him inconsistent. But I guess we will agree to disagree on this topic...
reckless123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive said this before, people are exaggerating KP's injury concerns. From 2010 to 2011 he only missed one game. Hes a vital component to our defense. After our front 4, he is our most important player.

An MCL sprain is hardly a major injury.

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was not a major injury he should have more then 24 tackles and play in more then 7 games...
mlv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
If it was not a major injury he should have more then 24 tackles and play in more then 7 games...

Kenny is on record saying the Giants medical staff went about his rehab the wrong way. I don't even blame him if he wants to leave, our medical staff stinks.

I understand the concern about KP's knee, but Beatty isn't a beacon of health either.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:

Not fair to consider it 7 games. He played 7 snaps in Philly before injuring his knee. He played 20 snaps against Washington in limited play a week after re-injury. Every other game he played this year he had at least 4 tackles.

He essentially recorded 24 tackles in about 5.5 games, which is almost 5 tackles per game. I don't consider tackles as a good indicator with how good a safety is, but he is the surest tackler in the secondary.
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
Acgott wrote:

Not fair to consider it 7 games. He played 7 snaps in Philly before injuring his knee. He played 20 snaps against Washington in limited play a week after re-injury. Every other game he played this year he had at least 4 tackles.

He essentially recorded 24 tackles in about 5.5 games, which is almost 5 tackles per game. I don't consider tackles as a good indicator with how good a safety is, but he is the surest tackler in the secondary.

So its even worst... This was not a minor injury or he would have played in more games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: