Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where will Ware rank All-Time when it's all said and done?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where will Ware rank at the end of his Career
1st Ballot HOFer and GOAT, ahead of LT
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
1st Ballot HOFer and Elite, behind LT though
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
HOFer and Elite, but not 1st Ballot and behind LT
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Kevin Greene / Derrick Thomas level
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Football Mensa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
MH, Why do you beraid people to death with stats to prove your point rather than agree to disagree. We all have our own opinions, and just because they don't agree with yours doesn't make us wrong.

Debate is exchanging ideas to come to a conclussion on a particular topic, and not trying to prove your right and the rest of us are wrong.

Hatter isn't capable of just leaving it at a disagreement. Opinions will never be changed by a good debate. The debate is what should be fun then both shake hands and walk away still insisting each is correct. Nothing wrong with that. Hatter can't stand to be challenged on his opinion with out taking shots. It's his m.o.. He is incapable of having a discussion. It's a pissing contest with him.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
buckwild wrote:
MH, Why do you beraid people to death with stats to prove your point rather than agree to disagree. We all have our own opinions, and just because they don't agree with yours doesn't make us wrong.

Debate is exchanging ideas to come to a conclussion on a particular topic, and not trying to prove your right and the rest of us are wrong.

Hatter isn't capable of just leaving it at a disagreement. Opinions will never be changed by a good debate. The debate is what should be fun then both shake hands and walk away still insisting each is correct. Nothing wrong with that. Hatter can't stand to be challenged on his opinion with out taking shots. It's his m.o.. He is incapable of having a discussion. It's a pissing contest with him.

Not even a month and you think you know my m.o.? You haven't even began to debate with me. I've sat here and debated with the best on the forum and seen pages fill up with points and counter points on an argument that can't be won - I've become friends with rivals like Shockey and Art V from those debates. Don't step in if you're not willing to back it up and actually spend the time to have a debate.

Posting a few words and snide comments isn't a debate - counter the OP and then we can talk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Not even a month and you think you know my m.o.? You haven't even began to debate with me. I've sat here and debated with the best on the forum and seen pages fill up with points and counter points on an argument that can't be won - I've become friends with rivals like Shockey and Art V from those debates. Don't step in if you're not willing to back it up and actually spend the time to have a debate.

Posting a few words and snide comments isn't a debate - counter the OP and then we can talk.

Your m.o. is the same. You did the same thing with the Austin debate because you disagreed. Plenty of posters in here will conversate even with others disagreeing. You don't. You can't. It's shot after shot after shot. I back up my comments. Still at the end of the day it's ok with me if we still disagree just like I said on Dave's post when Austin came up. I don't go hunting the next thread to throw another dart.
Then again maybe you're just a child if not try being a little more grownup when someone disagrees.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome to disagree - but I'm not going to say "here's my argument, but I like you're argument, you're a nice guy so let's shake hands and agree to disagree" - I'm going to make my case, I'm going to counter yours, and look for you to do the same. It's a freaking football forum, not a tea party - I'm not afraid of ruffling feathers and don't get offended when others disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
You're welcome to disagree - but I'm not going to say "here's my argument, but I like you're argument, you're a nice guy so let's shake hands and agree to disagree" - I'm going to make my case, I'm going to counter yours, and look for you to do the same. It's a freaking football forum, not a tea party - I'm not afraid of ruffling feathers and don't get offended when others disagree.

You don't have to like the counter argument. Make your case and leave out the snarky comments that come with it and debate it like a grown man. It's a lot more fun to debate that way. It will usually get more posters involved when they know they don't have to get in a pissing contest. Which broadens everyones perspectives and gives them a chance to re evaluate their own opinion.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you have a counter argument or were you just quoting my post for fun?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL Network ranked Taylor the #3 player of all-time. To rank Ware ahead of Taylor would mean he's a top-3 player all-time - or at least a top-10 player all-time. Do you believe that, MH? Heck, Ware isn't even a top-3 player of his generation.

And so you went with one writer to back things up and you use stats, but stats don't tell the whole story especially considering that Ware has had many more opportunities to rush the QB than Taylor.

During Taylor's career, the pass-run ratio went from a low of 51.17:48.83 to a high of 54.89:45.11 (1993). The highest discrepancy also occurred during LT's last season.

During Ware's career, the ratios are:
Low: 54.85:44.15
High: 57.10:42.90

So while you use a stat like "sack percentage", you conveniently left out number of sack opportunities. Teams are passing far more today than ever before, so sacks and pressures will naturally go up.

And if you're argument is solely based on stats, then we should consider Kerry Collins as the #12 QB of all-time, ahead of notable QBs like Troy Aikman, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, and Y.A. Title. Stats have their limitation, especially when comparing over different eras. Also, how stats are gathered and what constitutes a tackle to a pressure, etc. are not consistent over time let alone across games.

Ware is a great player, but IMO he's not at the level of Lawrence Taylor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

You're m.o. will never change...
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Gents, take it to PM or just ignore each other in the future.

^^^mack
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I think Ware is currently a top 10 all time player? No - but that can easily change with a few more years, especially if he hits 20 sacks a second time.

And I gave you the exact numbers of passes they each faced - the run:pass ratio doesn't really matter when they're facing nearly identical number of passes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ware will probably end up in the top-3 of OLBs all-time, assuming he can stay healthy. He could very well end up being the most productive OLB of all-time in terms of sacks. However, to me, to be considered the GOAT at one position means that player has to truly transcend his piers and all those before him. I just can't put Ware above Taylor because Taylor simply dominated games. I don't see that same dominating presence in Ware than Taylor.

Again, determining who is the GOAT goes beyond the numbers. For instance, many consider Joe Montana to be the greatest QB of all-time although many other QBs have better and more impressive stats. It's the same thing with people arguing that Romo is the best QB in Dallas Cowboys' history. Stats are great, but being recognized by your peers as the best and winning championships help cement one's legacy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Seriously??? You quoted me and posted nothing here but I'm the bad guy? Whatever dude.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

MH is one of the biggest homers on this board. He'll go at lengths to defend Cowboys' players. That's fine since we need people like that, but I can understand the frustration.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game has changed too much to even compare LT and Ware. Ware will end up being a 1st ballot HOFer and mentioned among the best at his position.

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Game has changed too much to even compare LT and Ware. Ware will end up being a 1st ballot HOFer and mentioned among the best at his position.

I can agree with this.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: