Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How did the Titans view Kaep? Did VY hurt his chances?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Django


Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 2970
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: How did the Titans view Kaep? Did VY hurt his chances? Reply with quote

When that draft happened.....

I figured the Titans would wait till the 2nd round to get a QB. Whether that be Dalton, Ponder (thought he'd be a 2nd round QB) or Kaepernick.

Obviously the Titans rolled with their gut instinct and went 1st round for a QB.

I figure if they went another direction they would have had no problem trying to get Dalton later on (maybe trading up)

But how did they view Kaepernick...in fact...how did you view him?

Did Vince Young hurt his chances in your eyes? Seeing as how they're so physically similar...

Even though Kaep has proven to be smarter, better arm strength, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
latinoaustino


Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 6173
Location: The road is my home
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Kaep at all coming out of college. I watched him play a few times because my wife and I do NOTHING but watch college football and drink on Saturdays. I though he had a strong arm but the balls seemed to float a bit. He also looked real real skinny coming out. I was wrong with him, no doubt.
_________________


Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanSS


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3070
Location: My house
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved Kaepernick and was very high on Dalton as well. Anyone who paid attention to Senior Bowl week probably did also. Thought Locker, Newton, and Gabbert were all overrated and would bust. Also did not think Ponder would make it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttitansfan4life


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25055
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Loved Kaepernick and was very high on Dalton as well. Anyone who paid attention to Senior Bowl week probably did also. Thought Locker, Newton, and Gabbert were all overrated and would bust. Also did not think Ponder would make it.


Shocked Wow you must be god-like because almost all those things you predicted seem to be happening. Please apply for a Titans scout job. They need you.
_________________
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TitanSS


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3070
Location: My house
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
Loved Kaepernick and was very high on Dalton as well. Anyone who paid attention to Senior Bowl week probably did also. Thought Locker, Newton, and Gabbert were all overrated and would bust. Also did not think Ponder would make it.


Shocked Wow you must be god-like because almost all those things came to happen. Please apply for a Titans scout job. They need you.


Jury is still out on Locker and Newton. Dalton may not end up being as good as I thought and Kaepernick is playing better than I expected so early. Anyone with eyes could tell you that about Gabbert and Ponder weren't starting caliber QBs and Newton didn't run a real offense at Auburn so he was up in the air. Locker's game against Nebraska in which he went 4 of 17 didn't speak volumes for him as an NFL QB.

I am terrible at grading QBs. Kaepernick and Dalton just stuck out as having far fewer flaws than the others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingTitan


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 10568
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Kap coming out. He was on my list of acceptable QBs.
Others being:
Jake Locker
Ricki Stanzi
Greg McLroy

My last Mock Draft before that draft, I suggested trading back and getting Ryan Kerrigan in the first and Kap in the 2nd. I even liked some guy name JJ Watt if we could have traded back some...

None the less...
Coming out Kap had some mechanical issues and offensive handicaps working against him.

I think he didn't pass the "eye" test as well as Locker. Locker has the form, the look and the work ethic. With coaching, it was assumed he could reach a much higher ceiling than Kap.

Neither story is fully written. Of course Kap is the hot grease right now. I want to see how he grows and how he moves forward with NFL type offenses.

He can't run forever and he has to make sure that he doesn't rely on the "read-option" to be a good QB.

I don't think the "longhorn" stopped the Titans from getting Kap. I think it was more of the type of offense that we wanted to run and thinking Locker was a better fit.


Last edited by KingTitan on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingTitan


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 10568
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:

Locker's game against Nebraska in which he went 4 of 17 didn't speak volumes for him as an NFL QB.

I am terrible at grading QBs. Kaepernick and Dalton just stuck out as having far fewer flaws than the others.


After that game, I pretty much wrote Locker off. I didn't think there was anyway a guy could have that type of game and get drafted high.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titanprodigy


Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 1625
Location: So Cal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
Loved Kaepernick and was very high on Dalton as well. Anyone who paid attention to Senior Bowl week probably did also. Thought Locker, Newton, and Gabbert were all overrated and would bust. Also did not think Ponder would make it.


Shocked Wow you must be god-like because almost all those things you predicted seem to be happening. Please apply for a Titans scout job. They need you.


I feel like that feeling was pretty consensus. Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Ponder we're all over hyped. Newton has surprised me since; however, at the time I thought Dalton and Stanzi would be the best of the class. Kaepernick was my 4th QB behind Newton, but just like Newton, he had the potential to be really good with the right coach.
_________________
=)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanSS


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3070
Location: My house
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanprodigy wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
Loved Kaepernick and was very high on Dalton as well. Anyone who paid attention to Senior Bowl week probably did also. Thought Locker, Newton, and Gabbert were all overrated and would bust. Also did not think Ponder would make it.


Shocked Wow you must be god-like because almost all those things you predicted seem to be happening. Please apply for a Titans scout job. They need you.


I feel like that feeling was pretty consensus. Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Ponder we're all over hyped. Newton has surprised me since; however, at the time I thought Dalton and Stanzi would be the best of the class. Kaepernick was my 4th QB behind Newton, but just like Newton, he had the potential to be really good with the right coach.


Unlike Newton, I felt like Kaepernick had the brain to play NFL QB. I don't think Newton will ever reach top tier NFL QB. Middle of the pack is his ceiling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titans fan 617


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 10074
Location: BeanTown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im satisfied with Locker but i was one who said draft someone else with our first round pick and ether trade into or hope Kaep falls to the Titans in the 2nd
_________________

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
*2011

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballProdiG


Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Posts: 8787
Location: The Film Room
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
titanprodigy wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
Loved Kaepernick and was very high on Dalton as well. Anyone who paid attention to Senior Bowl week probably did also. Thought Locker, Newton, and Gabbert were all overrated and would bust. Also did not think Ponder would make it.


Shocked Wow you must be god-like because almost all those things you predicted seem to be happening. Please apply for a Titans scout job. They need you.


I feel like that feeling was pretty consensus. Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Ponder we're all over hyped. Newton has surprised me since; however, at the time I thought Dalton and Stanzi would be the best of the class. Kaepernick was my 4th QB behind Newton, but just like Newton, he had the potential to be really good with the right coach.


Unlike Newton, I felt like Kaepernick had the brain to play NFL QB. I don't think Newton will ever reach top tier NFL QB. Middle of the pack is his ceiling.


Since when was Cam Newton considered dumb? That's a pretty ignorant comment to not know the guy. I know right now he went back to get his degree while most other players are out drinking and getting into accidents so I applaud him for that if anything. It seems like his head on screwed on tighter than some of these other players. You might can make the headcase scenario about some people but Newton was always a good leader, and a great face at Auburn because he never overhyped himself and started bragging.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttitansfan4life


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 25055
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
titanprodigy wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
Loved Kaepernick and was very high on Dalton as well. Anyone who paid attention to Senior Bowl week probably did also. Thought Locker, Newton, and Gabbert were all overrated and would bust. Also did not think Ponder would make it.


Shocked Wow you must be god-like because almost all those things you predicted seem to be happening. Please apply for a Titans scout job. They need you.


I feel like that feeling was pretty consensus. Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Ponder we're all over hyped. Newton has surprised me since; however, at the time I thought Dalton and Stanzi would be the best of the class. Kaepernick was my 4th QB behind Newton, but just like Newton, he had the potential to be really good with the right coach.


Unlike Newton, I felt like Kaepernick had the brain to play NFL QB. I don't think Newton will ever reach top tier NFL QB. Middle of the pack is his ceiling.


Since when was Cam Newton considered dumb? That's a pretty ignorant comment to not know the guy. I know right now he went back to get his degree while most other players are out drinking and getting into accidents so I applaud him for that if anything. It seems like his head on screwed on tighter than some of these other players. You might can make the headcase scenario about some people but Newton was always a good leader, and a great face at Auburn because he never overhyped himself and started bragging.


You can't be serious? Next your going to say Newton is the most humble player in the NFL. The guy is a joke and the furthest thing from a leader. If he was so damn great, they'd have more wins. And don't use the excuse of the talent isn't there because there's teams with less talent that were just in the playoffs. RG3 and Luck are examples of great leaders on bad teams around them but still made the playoffs. Never overhyped himself? Laughing You've got to be kidding. He's the most arrogant player in the league.
_________________
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Django


Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 2970
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
Loved Kaepernick and was very high on Dalton as well. Anyone who paid attention to Senior Bowl week probably did also. Thought Locker, Newton, and Gabbert were all overrated and would bust. Also did not think Ponder would make it.


Shocked Wow you must be god-like because almost all those things you predicted seem to be happening. Please apply for a Titans scout job. They need you.


Cam has been very good...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingTitan


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 10568
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always cautious of crowning a player or condeming a player too soon.

We've seen too many players "flash" over a season or few games and everyone think they are H.O.F. only to burn out.
We've seen players start slowly only to move toward greatness as their career moved along.

Yes, QB's are different than they were even a few years ago, but the foundation and core principles remain the same.

The main question that I keep asking is what will RG3, Luck, Dalton, Kap..etc....do when the defense takes away their strength. Will they keep working hard and develop?
or
Will they do what "Mr. Longhorn" did....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lamont


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 3887
Location: tennessee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Cam would be gone when the titans picked. I did not like Dalton, Gabbert or Ponder. I wanted Kap or Jake, but I like Kap better. I knew #8 was too high for Kap, so if the Titans went QB, it would be Locker. Looking back, I am patting myself on the back for being on the Kap bandwagon pre draft 2011. Dancing

Hopefully Kap can lead our homeboy from Bruceton, TN. Patrick Willis and the ex Titan WR "straight cash homie" Randy Moss to a win and they can hoist the Lombardi next weekend. I will literally throw up all my Super Bowl watching consumption of beverages and food, if Ray Lewis wins again.
_________________

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group