Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Saints biggest draft need might not be what we think:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Why Saints biggest draft need might not be what we think: Reply with quote

As I sit here and ponder over what our current state of defensive personnel is and how they would best fit in a new 34 scheme something jumped out at me. Something I haven’t thought of yet and wanted to see if anyone else thinks I could be on to something.

Here’s the theory…

Yes they have some talented pass rushers coming out this year but I really feel the Saints think they have a potentially deadly tandem in Galette & Wilson on the edge. Cam Jordan & Akiem Hicks are going to be killer on the ends while Brodrick Bunkley will likely finally find his true calling as a one gap 34 nose guard. Sure the Saints could use another inside linebacker and well as secondary help but the problem there is as I went through my mock draft I just simply didn’t see the value at those positions at 15th overall.

Then it hit me, it’s NEVER really been “best player available” when a team selects in the 1st round regardless of what they may say. It’s actually, “best player available at a position of need”. This is the more accurate description of the motto that most NFL teams live by when it comes to making 1st round selections. So taking this into account, I combined that motto with the top rated prospects available at 15 in my mock draft then selected the best available player at a position of need and this is who I came away with at 15…

Shariff Floyd DT/DE Florida

Let me explain my reasoning…

With the Saints set at defensive end and outside edge rusher (baring depth), and without an elite talent available in the secondary worth the 15th pick, I got to thinking… what does this roster lack compared to the talent that’s available and which player represents value at the 15th pick.

Talent wise, Floyd is clearly a top 20 talent. He might be the most versitle defensive lineman in the draft. He’s very disruptive along the defensive front and doubles as a stout run stuffer as well as someone who can pressure the quarterback.

Now I know what your thinking… “but Worm, were set at defensive end you said so yourself”!

The way I see it, Think of Floyd in the same manner you would our Nickel corner. In this day in age your Nickel corner is basically a starter in the NFL due to the excessive use of 4 wide reciver sets. This roster defensivly clearly suits a one gap 34 scheme and I absoutly believe Sean Payton realizes this and will hire a DC to implement such a scheme. In this scheme Brodrick Bunkley would be an ideal fit as a 2 down run stuffing nose tackle but in passing situations the Saints would ideally like to take Bunkley out of the game in favor for someone more disruptive with better pass rushing ability and that’s where Floyd comes in.

As the key rotational defensive lineman for the Saints due to his ability to play anywhere along the defensive line, Floyd would rotate with Jordan and Hicks throughout the game to keep everyone fresh and in passing situations, Hicks would kick inside to the nose with Floyd and Jordan on the ends to get the top pass rushing unit in this game. This is situational football at it’s finest. Floyd’s presence will also be felt in goal line defensive formations where all 4 of them (Bunkley, Hicks, Jordan & Floyd) would all be in the game together.

As I began to realize just how important that key rotational defensive lineman is to this scheme, the more I began to realize how much of a need the Saints have at the position. I am convinced that if this position isn’t addressed in free agency, then based on the talent that would be available at 15… I could very well see this position being solidified with the 15th pick.

So what do you think… am I on to something, or am I off my rocker?

Other prospects who possess the skill set to excel in this position
Star Lotulelei, Utah
Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
Kawann Short, Purdue

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about taking a rotational guy at 15. I'd like to see what the new DC is going to do with Tez first. If he's going to be put on the inside I say we go OLB, and if he's put on the outside I say we go ILB. Other than that I say trade back, pick up some picks, and draft a secondary player and LB/D line depth. Going to be a much clearer picture once we get a DC, and FAs are signed.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: