Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LA wants to move the Falcons to the west coast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
The league is clearly fairly even at the moment.

I actually think it would be a good time to look into an expansion. Los Angeles and Oklahoma City.

Bring on the Los Angeles Outlaws & Oklahoma City Bombers! Cool

I can't see that Bombers name gaining much popularity.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Stuff
Here's a real simple and easy answer to your question about facilities. Every NFL city (w/ the exception of GB) has at least one major university w/ all the facilities you need to do everything. And thankfully, w/ the NFL revenue sharing, the team doesn't need to turn a profit right away b/c they will still be getting their share of 48% of $12+B every year. I think they will be fine.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Stuff
Here's a real simple and easy answer to your question about facilities. Every NFL city (w/ the exception of GB) has at least one major university w/ all the facilities you need to do everything.

Wouldn't those schools be using said facilities? Unless I am missing something and the NCAA has canceled college football forever, those facilities are already being used by someone around the time said football team is in town.

Quote:
And thankfully, w/ the NFL revenue sharing, the team doesn't need to turn a profit right away b/c they will still be getting their share of 48% of $12+B every year. I think they will be fine.

This isn't a model that gets cheaper, mind you. That profit needs to turn over quickly for any owner to even deem this as a model they would want to sustain, because let's make no bones about it - the owners talk about team pride, but NO owner in the NFL wants to operate in the red, at any given moment. The $12B made roughly comes out to $170MM per each team (if you had to cut the pie into 34 slices - which is what we'd be doing with LA + 1). That isn't just pocket money for these owners, it's reinvested in the team and pays a lot of the salaries for the ancillary staff members and such.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
sayheykid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Bring on the Los Angeles Outlaws & Oklahoma City Bombers! Cool

Well, that's in incredibly poor taste.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Stuff
Here's a real simple and easy answer to your question about facilities. Every NFL city (w/ the exception of GB) has at least one major university w/ all the facilities you need to do everything.

Wouldn't those schools be using said facilities? Unless I am missing something and the NCAA has canceled college football forever, those facilities are already being used by someone around the time said football team is in town.

Quote:
And thankfully, w/ the NFL revenue sharing, the team doesn't need to turn a profit right away b/c they will still be getting their share of 48% of $12+B every year. I think they will be fine.

This isn't a model that gets cheaper, mind you. That profit needs to turn over quickly for any owner to even deem this as a model they would want to sustain, because let's make no bones about it - the owners talk about team pride, but NO owner in the NFL wants to operate in the red, at any given moment. The $12B made roughly comes out to $170MM per each team (if you had to cut the pie into 34 slices - which is what we'd be doing with LA + 1). That isn't just pocket money for these owners, it's reinvested in the team and pays a lot of the salaries for the ancillary staff members and such.
Unlike CFB, there are no restrictions on time in the NFL, only time on the practice field, most teams practice mid morning, a time when CFB teams are not using the practice field b/c most CFB teams practice early afternoon.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Unlike CFB, there are no restrictions on time in the NFL, only time on the practice field, most teams practice mid morning, a time when CFB teams are not using the practice field b/c most CFB teams practice early afternoon.

...you REALLY think CFB teams adhere to those schedules? Furthermore, you don't think that there are many NFL players who do hit the fields early afternoon to fine tune plays, routes, etc?

If you do, then I guess...well, that settles it. Go London, I guess. Confused

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I think makes a permanent London team a more difficult prospect than some people are considering... the logistics of broadcasting games.

8 home games for that London franchise per year. That means 8 games away games in which the fanbases for the teams playing away in London are going to be having to get up earlier to watch (and the networks are going to have to broadcast at a completely different time) these games. Speaking as someone who lives on the West Coast and gets up at anywhere from 4:30 - 9:00 am to watch soccer matches live from England, that 5-8 hour time differential isn't the most logistically easy thing to negotiate when the majority of your viewership is already accustom to a static schedule. And television revenue is a BIG chunk of the pie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt see this even as a discussion, pretty surprised

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we take care of the NFL hungry cities in America (and even Canada) before we talk about a team in London?

I'd rather put a team in Utah, Portland, Oklahoma, Los Angeles, and Toronto before I'd even venture to think about a team in London.

Logistics hell.
Falastine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And really, what's so attractive about London to players? It's a nice city, but the weather is terrible.
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they would get paid in pounds? if so that would be a reason players would want to go overseas.

Not only would the travel be tough on teams that go over there, but every road game for the london team would be really rough. theres no way they would want to go to the west coast either which would really mess with the scheduling

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falastine wrote:
And really, what's so attractive about London to players? It's a nice city, but the weather is terrible.
How is the weather worse than any northern climate city, like New York?

Malik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Falastine wrote:

rain and rain and rain
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Falastine wrote:

rain and rain and rain

Slight chance of rain, too.

StLunatic88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it comes down to, an NFL team in London just isnt that appealing. Just like 18 game seasons, or expanded playoffs, they all sound good in the higher up's heads because all they see is more Dollar $igns. But in the long run they would all likely be failures, and is that minimal bump in revenue worth the blemish & stain it would leave on what is one of the most popular leagues ever right now?

To them, Im sure it is, because the Dollar is king. But to fans it just seems so dumb. In many ways the perfect symmetry & competitive balance is what makes the NFL so popular. They have found what is most efficient & popular in every way. I think in the end it will be much like when the NCAA talked about expanding the Tournament, in the books it looks like more money, but when it comes down to it it just wont work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: