Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best Pack Mock Ever/The "Let's Get Nasty" Edition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KManX89

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Best Pack Mock Ever/The "Let's Get Nasty" Edition Reply with quote

OCC: I get the feelin' you're gonna love this one, guys, just thought I'd throw that out there. Very Happy

Staff

Dom Capers fired as DC

We all knew this was coming, let's be honest. After laying a giant stinker 3 out of the last 4 years in crunch time, TT decides enough is enough and moves on.

Packers hire Romeo Crennel as new DC.

With the Chiefs letting him go and Capers no longer there, TT sees the opportunity to nab a perfect replacement and hires former DC/HC Romeo Crennel. This allows us to stick with the 3-4 defense while giving us a proven commodity at DC (which he's obviously best at), having previously ran the elite Pats defenses of the early 2000s during their "Dynasty" years. With some new pieces added to the defense (to be revaled later on) and familiarity with the scheme, here's hoping he can return the magic to GB.

Contracts

Not Resigned/retired/released/traded:

WR Greg Jennings-tagged and traded to Jets (along w/4th round pick, #122) for their 2nd and 3rd round picks (#40 and #74, respectively)
WR Donald Driver-retired
C Jeff Saturday-retired
SS Charles Woodson-retired
ILB A.J. Hawk-traded to Bills for 4th round pick (#104)
RB Cedric Benson-not re-signed
RB Ryan Grant-not re-signed
ILB Brad Jones-not re-signed
ILB Jamari Lattimore-cut
ILB Robert Francois-not re-signed
OLB Erik Walden-not re-signed

Re-signed:

C Evan Dietrich-Smith
CB Sam Shields
TE Tom Crabtree

Free Agents:

OLB Victor Butler (DAL)

TT signs a nice, cheap free agent to add depth behind Matthews and Perry.

**DD trade: Packers trade their 1st round (#26) to 49ers for their 1st (#32) and 2nd (#64) round picks.

The defending SB champion Niners, picking last, with 14 picks and having a perennial edge rusher fall in their lap, sees the perfect opportunity for a trade up and trades with the Pack to nab one of the LSU DE/OLB duo in Markevious Mingo or Sam Montgomery (I believe one or, just maybe, both could potentially end up falling towards the end of the 1st round) while the Packers, having various glaring needs that need to be addressed early, gets another pick in the process.

32. FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
6'1" 218 lbs.

The first of several pieces of that "physical" D is brought to GB. Kenny Vaccaro is arguably the best and most physical Safety in the draft. He is fast, excels in man coverage, plays the run well, and hits early and often. He does have a tendency to miss tackles on occasion, but when he does make a tackle (and more often than not, he won't miss his man), man he just flat out nails opposing players. And he can play either Safety position, allowing Burnett to move to his more natural SS position.

40. ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
6'2" 245 lbs.

Picking early in the 2nd round after the Jennings trade and having another big gap at ILB with Hawk's departure, Kevin Minter falls right in their lap, and they take him here. He gives us another added dimension of "nastiness" on defense, racking up 209 tackles at LSU and arguably being their best defensive player last year. He is fast, physical, and at 6'2, 245 pounds, adds a big bodied, hard-tackling presence to the middle of our defense. He is also adequate in coverage, which everyone knows the Packers could use some decent coverage LBers.

57. DT/DE Kawann Short, Purdue
6'3" 315 lbs.

The final missing piece to our D is addressed here. Kawann Short is arguably the best pass-rushing DL in the draft. He can do it all: stuffing the run, eat up blockers, AND get in the backfield. Granted, He is not as stout against the run as Jesse Williams, Johnathan Hankins or Star Louteleli, but he plays the run well enough, having amassed 49 TFL in his 4 years at Purdue. He can also get after the quarterback (he is tied for 5th in the SEC in sacks, let's not forget), something our DL has sorely lacked (at least on a consistent basis) since the departure of Cullen Jenkins. As an added bonus, he is a pass disruptor as well, having batted 4 passes in 2012. The trio of Short, Raji and Worthy solidifies our DL (all 3 base DL with pass-rushing ability is huge in a 3-4) and creates nightmares for opposing quarterbacks for years to come.

64. TE Zach Ertz, Stanford
6'6", 252 lbs.

Having passed on the opportunity to draft Tyler Eifert in the 1st round, the Packers finally get their TE here as he falls all the way to the end of the 2nd round (I HAVE seen Ertz drop to the bottom of the 2nd in some mocks, so bear with me, IF he were off the board at this point, I would probably go WR or OL here). He leads all college TEs in receiving yards and at 6'6" gives us another big, physical TE to pair with Finley. The 2 TE set of Finley and Ertz creates a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses and helps neutralize the 2 deep safety sets we were constantly faced with last year while also opening up the run game in the process.

74. RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama
6'0", 220 lbs.

With the Bengals taking Gio Bernard with one of their 2nd round picks and with none of the top 10 picks needing a RB, the dynamic Lacy falls all the way to the top of the 3rd round. TT hits the Jack Pot in acquiring an early 3rd, and the Packers snag him with the 3rd round pick acquired from the Jets in the Jennings trade. The Pack finally get that dynamic RB they've been desperately looking for to accomodate their passing game. With a new deadly 2 TE set and improved OL (with Sherrod and Bulaga both coming back from injuries) to block for him, he fulfills that one missing piece from this offense.

90. WR Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
5'10", 193 lbs.

Jordy/Cobb/Jones/Finley/Ertz/Bailey finalizes our already deep receiving core and gives us that replacement for Jennings. With Jordy, Jones and Cobb in the slot, we don't necessarily need a high round draft pick spent at WR, but Bailey gives us great value here in the 3rd. While lacking in size, he has great speed, great hands, racks up a lot of YAC, and is a deep threat.

104. C Khaled Holmes, USC
6'4", 305 lbs.

The best starting pure C in college, he gives us that one missing piece on our OL (with both Sherrod and Bulaga coming back next year) and is a Day 1 starter ahead of EDS.

121. (COMP) QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma
6'4", 229 lbs.

With no real pressing needs at this point in the draft, the Packers nab themselves a quality backup QB to relieve Rodgers in garbage time, or (God forbid) adequately fill in in the case of an injury.

154. DT/DE Kwame Geathers, Georgia
6'6", 365 lbs.

Packers get somewhat of a steal in the 5th round, acquiring nice depth on our DL and Pickett's eventual replacement. Not really a game-changer, by any stretch, but then again, we don't necessarily need one.

185. FB Zach Line, SMU
6'1", 219 lbs.

Having fulfilled all their needs to this point, the Packers take the top FB in the draft as depth behind Kuhn, and as a possible replacement in the future.

217. (COMP) WR Tarvarres King, Georgia
6'1", 200 lbs.

With one of our compensatory picks, the Packers nab DD's replacement in the 7th round and he immediately shoes in as our #5 receiver on the depth chart.

218. K Dustin Hopkins, FSU
6'2", 190 lbs.

With an abundance in picks, TT uses one of his many extra picks to draft a K to compete with Mason for the starting gig in training camp.

53 man Roster
Offense
QB: Aaron Rodgers | Landry Jones | B.J. Coleman
RB: Eddie Lacy | DuJuan Harris | Alex Green | James Starks
FB: John Kuhn | Zach Line
WR: Jordy Nelson | James Jones | Randall Cobb | Stedman Bailey | Tarvarres King
TE: Jermichael Finley | Zach Ertz | Andrew Quarless | Tom Crabtree
LT:Derek Sherrod | Marshall Newhouse
LG: T.J. Lang
C: Khaled Holmes | Evan Dietrich-Smith
RG: Josh Sitton
RT: Bryan Bulaga | Don Barclay

Defense
LDE: Kawann Short | Mike Neal | Mike Daniels
NT: B.J. Raji | Ryan Pickett
RDE: Jerel Worthy | C.J. Wilson
LOLB: Nick Perry | Victor Butler
LILB: Kevin Minter | D.J. Smith
RILB: Desmond Bishop | Terrell Manning
ROLB: Clay Matthews | Dezman Moses
CB: Tramon Williams | Davon House | Jarrett Bush
SS: Morgan Burnett | M.J. Jennings
FS: Kenny Vaccaro | Jerron McMillian
CB: Sam Shields | Casey Hayward

Special Teams
K: Mason Crosby (or Dustin Hopkins, depending on who wins the starting gig in TC; if Crosby wins, Hopkins goes to PS)
P: Tim Masthay
LS: Brett Goode

DT Kwame Geathers delegated to PS, along with WR Brandian Ross, S Sean Richardson, RT Andrew Datko, LG Greg Van Rotten, C Garth Gerhart, CB James Mixon, S Chaz Powell and NT Jordan Miller). TE D.J. Williams is either cut after trimming down the roster or delegated to PS.

Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much a train wreck, not sure if you are making your own projections on slot or not. I have a hard time with some of those players being available at those slots whoever is making the projection. Just unrealistic but if you were going for something outside of the box, ok fine.
byzr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i would love this draft but it seems like to much a of pipe dream to me...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real problem is with the slotting. The Packers will likely have to trade up to get Vaccarro (possibly very high) rather than down, and Ertz, Short, and Lacy are guys who are potential first round picks come April.

I mean, if the Packers ended up with Vacarro, Ertz, Short, and Lacy come April (without trading away a bunch of players or future picks) that would be awesome, but it would also be awesome to draft Lotulelei, Cooper, Fisher, and Dion Jordan... it's just not going to happen.
RCobb18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with this if it were to happen, that being said its really unrealistic.

-I am hearing that Vaccarro could go in the top 10 now like Baron did last year.

-I don't really like Minter that much, would rather go after (Reddick or Klein) in the mid rounds.

-I like Kawann Short but there are questions about his motor.

-Love Ertz, favorite TE in this class but he will be gone by that pick more than likely.

-Lacy will be long gone, I like him a lot though.

-Love Stedman Bailey.

-Don't like Holmes at all. Another over hyped USC product.

-And the rest is ok.
Packerbacker93

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Pack Mock Ever/The "Let's Get Nasty" Edit Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
Contracts

Not Resigned/retired/released/traded:

WR Greg Jennings-tagged and traded to Jets (along w/4th round pick, #122) for their 2nd and 3rd round picks (#40 and #74, respectively)
WR Donald Driver-retired
C Jeff Saturday-retired
SS Charles Woodson-retired
ILB A.J. Hawk-traded to Bills for 4th round pick (#104)
RB Cedric Benson-not re-signed
RB Ryan Grant-not re-signed
ILB Brad Jones-not re-signed
[b]ILB Jamari Lattimore-cut

ILB Robert Francois-not re-signed
OLB Erik Walden-not re-signed[/b]

Good luck selling a tagged Jennings to the Jets with their cap woes, even more luck trying to wrench that many picks that high.

Cut our playoff ST Capt? Not likely.

I'd love the board to fall this way, but I don't really see us taking a second WR. We seem to like Boykin, and I'm not high on the WVU WR.
packattack86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
yeah i would love this draft but it seems like to much a of pipe dream to me...

Agreed. I think these draft slots will end up being unrealistic, a lot of big name players in there, but i'd love it if it came to fruition.

I also like Romeo as a DC. He has not done well as a HC, but he has done very well as a DC. The Chiefs D played very hard/well for him for the most part.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerbacker93 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... He actually kinda looks like Tom Crabtree too HAHAHAH....

Anyway, I love the idea to bring Romeo in but I, like a lot of other posters, don't see a lot of those picks happening at those particular spots. Ertz might be a first round pick this year to...
KManX89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know it doesn't sound realistic, I was just going by a few mocks that I've seen with said players falling to said spots, and the picks I would acquire to be able to pick up said players in said spots. Like I said, I HAVE seen Ertz fall to the bottom of the 2nd in some mocks, though admittedly, those ARE few and in between, and it probably won't happen in the real draft. I've also seen some mocks with Vaccaro falling to the late 1st-early 2nd, same with Minter, and I've seen my share of mocks with Short being available at the end of the 2nd round, I've even seen a couple Packer mock drafts with us taking him with our 2nd round pick (no. 57), and a couple mocks with Lacy falling in the 2nd. If he makes it that far (doubtful, I know), the only team picking late with a need at RB is Atlanta. If they were to pass him up, that leaves only the Jets with a hole at RB in the 3rd round, which we acquired in the Jennings tag and trade in my mock, hence us acquiring him early in the 3rd.

Plus, Cincy acquired a bunch of 1st-2nd round talents with all the picks they've acquired in the first 3 rounds in last year's draft (heck, they got Devon Still, 2011 Big Ten DPOTY, at 53), so you never know.

Imagine if all of this did happen, though, it wouldn't even be fair to the rest of the league in getting Short, Minter, Vaccaro, Ertz, Lacy, etc in addition to getting Perry, Sherrod, Bulaga, and Worthy next year. Not to mention, those first 3, at least are possible with the picks we would be getting in said trades, or at least players with similar talent at those spots (ie: either of the Williams linemen in the late 2nd instead of Short, and Eric Reid instead of Kenny Vaccaro if they're gone by said picks) since we would be getting the last pick in the 1st after the trade down with San Fran and 3 2nd round picks, including an early 2nd. The talent pool would be very similar beyond the 32nd pick, up until maybe the end of the 2nd or early 3rd round. Still, there might be some 1st-2nd round talents that fall to the bottom of the 2nd round.

Nonetheless, I might do another mock at a later time that's somewhat feasible.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best Pack Mock Ever/The "Let's Get Nasty" Edit Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:

Dom Capers fired as DC
[/b]

And...you lost me right there!

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Best Pack Mock Ever/The "Let's Get Nasty" Edit Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Dom Capers fired as DC
[/b]

What team were you watching last year? Capers was even more vanilla than 2011 and only dialed up a good game plan when he had to. Dude, let go of the cord. Capers needs to be replaced, plain and simple. This isn't the Univ. of Iowa where Ferentz has a couple of crap years and people can equate it to all sorts of issues out of his control.

The fact is that our scheme has held us back the past 2 years and we've gotten creamed in the playoffs because of Dom's soft defense, lack of adjustments, and horrible coverage schemes.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best Pack Mock Ever/The "Let's Get Nasty" Edit Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Dom Capers fired as DC
[/b]

What team were you watching last year? Capers was even more vanilla than 2011 and only dialed up a good game plan when he had to. Dude, let go of the cord. Capers needs to be replaced, plain and simple. This isn't the Univ. of Iowa where Ferentz has a couple of crap years and people can equate it to all sorts of issues out of his control.

The fact is that our scheme has held us back the past 2 years and we've gotten creamed in the playoffs because of Dom's soft defense, lack of adjustments, and horrible coverage schemes.

But not injuries to Desmond Bishop, DJ Smith, Charles Woodson, Clay Matthews, a Mike Neal suspension, a Tramon Williams severe shoulder injury, the loss of a perennial pro-bowl and arguably the best safety in the league, the loss of our best interior pass rushing force, and an injury to our rookie first round pick OLB who was making great strides opposite of Matthews.

None of that.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Pack Mock Ever/The "Let's Get Nasty" Edit Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Dom Capers fired as DC
[/b]

But not injuries to Desmond Bishop, DJ Smith, Charles Woodson, Clay Matthews, a Mike Neal suspension, a Tramon Williams severe shoulder injury, the loss of a perennial pro-bowl and arguably the best safety in the league, the loss of our best interior pass rushing force, and an injury to our rookie first round pick OLB who was making great strides opposite of Matthews.

None of that.

And yet despite all that we rose from #32nd ranked defense to #11 with makeshift talent. But you're right, he deserves to be fired for all that. Rolling Eyes

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Pack Mock Ever/The "Let's Get Nasty" Edit Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Dom Capers fired as DC
[/b]

None of that.

And yet despite all that we rose from #32nd ranked defense to #11 with makeshift talent. But you're right, he deserves to be fired for all that. Rolling Eyes

...haters gonna hate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: