Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rank the WR's in this years draft that fit the Packer system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packers FTW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon Austin is going to be a beast in the NFL.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Had a few guys send me mail asking why "pure" hands are better than "taught" hands so let me just post this here.

God given soft hands just play better/faster on a football field. It's like anything else that is a god given talent. It's the reason why Finley looks more athletic than guys with far better numbers. It's also the reason why guys like Sitton that are farm boy strong can stone cats and why try hards like Wells/Spitz can bench 500lbs and not move their man a inch.

Birth skills are always more functional on a football field. In many ways that sucks, but that's life. That's not to say guys can't work hard and do this or that. I'm just saying there is a difference. This is also why GM's love their bigs. It's something they need that players can't work harder to get. Your either 6'5 350lbs or your not! Know what I mean?

Hands are the same way. If your not fighting the football it helps you play fast. Soft hands also play better in poor weather more times than not. It's also a tech skill if taught so if a DB gets their hands in there it far more often leads to a dropped pass.

That all said, and I'll say this over and over. It's always the sum of all the parts!

My dad always laughed at me when I started pushing weights around when I was a teen. He said, " You wanna be strong boy? Go swing an axe or a hammer for a while." It's so true too. Had a friend and when we drank too much, the next day his old man would wake us up early to go crack and pile some firewood. Seen my buddy demo plenty of people nearly twice his size. Kid looked average, but he had so natural strength to him that was just insane.

Dad was like that too. Mechanic by trade, worked on cars wrenching all his life. Had a six-pack til his last day. Never broke 125lbs soaking wet but was one of the strongest people I've ever been around- and functional strong.
Yep, a lot of truth to that. It can be disguised in a 6-1 125lbs frame or in a 5-9 310 frame that looks like chewed bubble gum. I've seen it both ways, sadly I am a lot closer to the 2nd half Sad . I spent my youth on the farm with my dad shoveling corn and changing tractor weights while my friends were lifting weights, I think I shocked the hell out of them when it came to the 1vs1 drills Laughing

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Hits home with me because I was the other way around. I was weak as they come when I started lifting weights. By the time I left high school though I held every school lifting record and had a full ride in hand. Held mine in college also but that's when I started finding out what "farm boy strong" really was. Frickin leverage too I tell ya!

Damn thing never goes away if your on the short end of it either. All my life I wanted to be 6'5 and excel in football. LIS, I held mine but at the end of the day there are not too many six foot lineman in the NFL. After football I started to compete in powerlifting and found out there were guys next to me that were 5'5 and could squat a damn truck........ Evil or Very Mad

Such is life though I guess..... Laughing

Were you in high school up here or in the states Palmy?
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lived just outside of Ottawa until the end of my soph year. Moved in with my dad(was working for the Bills at the time) because I wanted to give the football thing a go and get to know him better. Hard to pull a ship playing ball up there though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Green wrote:
I don't know if you guys noticed this but TT likes to draft WRs with thick arms. Look at Jones, Nelson, Jennings etc...they are very thick armed. Not AJ Green/Randy Moss skinny arm types. Even over the years the undrafted ones had thick arms like Boykin and Gurley.

That should help us identify which players that TT is likely to target.

Another thing that goes without saying is proven consistency at catching the ball and YAC ability.

One final clue imo is how the player celebrates. I think TT tends to veer away from the wild/arrogant ones and instead prefers the guys that chucks the ball back to the ref and gets on with it. All of our guys have that trait.

When i was looking at WRs for the 2011 draft, there was one guy that kept popping up over and over again that fufilled those traits and it was Randall Cobb. Sure enough we drafted him. Laughing

It just my observation, feel free to bash me if i'm being stupid or if i'm just repeating something that is already common knowledge. Laughing

*sigh* I still hope we can keep Jennings...

Last edited by Pugger on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Had a few guys send me mail asking why "pure" hands are better than "taught" hands so let me just post this here.

God given soft hands just play better/faster on a football field. It's like anything else that is a god given talent. It's the reason why Finley looks more athletic than guys with far better numbers. It's also the reason why guys like Sitton that are farm boy strong can stone cats and why try hards like Wells/Spitz can bench 500lbs and not move their man a inch.

Birth skills are always more functional on a football field. In many ways that sucks, but that's life. That's not to say guys can't work hard and do this or that. I'm just saying there is a difference. This is also why GM's love their bigs. It's something they need that players can't work harder to get. Your either 6'5 350lbs or your not! Know what I mean?

Hands are the same way. If your not fighting the football it helps you play fast. Soft hands also play better in poor weather more times than not. It's also a tech skill if taught so if a DB gets their hands in there it far more often leads to a dropped pass.

That all said, and I'll say this over and over. It's always the sum of all the parts!

Shocked

One of the most insightful things I have read on here.

We are so fortunate to have someone like Palmy posting here! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Packers are making a conscious effort to go with more well rounded WR's. I think they really want to run the ball and be able to attack the flat's and short middle with both runs and passes. With the way teams are playing off on us, I think they feel it's important to be able to attack the short/intermediate areas of the field equally well as the deep parts.

Jones blocked his a$$ off this year. Nelson always has. Ross and Boykin are excellent blockers/ST players. Cobb, of course, is the exception to the 5 hold-overs.

We're in desperate need of a really good back, a guy who can run between that tackles, and attack the perimeter.

I'd rather have defense this year. I do think we can win with our offense as is, but getting a RB would be huge for our offense. WR. . . I'm not so sure it's as important to the up coming season as a RB is. Hopefully we find a really well rounded RB to play 1st and 2nd down. Hopefully Green develops into an excellent 3rd down back. . . .

Lots of hopes. I'm not so hopeful for a WR and even less hopeful for a smallish one.

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!
RCobb18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that RB is a need but I think that WR might be a bigger need at this point. Losing both Driver and Jennings is going to hurt, James Jones contract expires at the end of next season. And then we will have to address Cobb and Jordy after the 2014 season. I think right now is a perfect time to address the WR position, especially in rounds 2-4 there are going to be a lot of quality players in those rounds.

Me personally, I would love to see us draft Woods or Patton. Both should be available 2-4.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCobb18 wrote:
I agree that RB is a need but I think that WR might be a bigger need at this point. Losing both Driver and Jennings is going to hurt, James Jones contract expires at the end of next season. And then we will have to address Cobb and Jordy after the 2014 season. I think right now is a perfect time to address the WR position, especially in rounds 2-4 there are going to be a lot of quality players in those rounds.

Me personally, I would love to see us draft Woods or Patton. Both should be available 2-4.

The Packers will have at least 8 picks so why not address both. I don't think its a reach that TT will draft both a WR and RB fairly high in the draft (1st 4 rounds IMO assuming 5 picks in 4 rounds). The exception is if TT signs either Benson or someone like Steven Jackson.
pmikep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is loaded with Packer type WR in round 2 & 3 .
Woods, Hopkins, Rogers, Austin,Williams, Wheaton & Patton.
GO PACKERS !!!!!!!!
Terranimal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team has already a couple of players they trained from being former QBs to WR and those ended up being ufa's.

The running tally on WRs Thompson has been noted on being around are: Patton, Wheaton, King, and Dobson......would seem like a late round 2-4 area and number 2 type.

Of course this could mean squat as often times player he takes he was never linked to during this part of the year.
pollino14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If GB gpt Cordarrelle Paterson.... the NFL would be on notice. I hope Aaron gets the athlete like Patterson some point in his career.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which one is the absolute fastesT? draft that guy. we're missing that guy.
Bucks
Badgers
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Quinton Patton is 'most like' the other type of receivers TT has drafted in the past. Great comparison to Jennings, however he is a 'click' slower like someone else mentioned. Jennings had that 'explosive' step and Patton just doesn't seem quite that. Although, Patton is quite good. His routes are run very well and he has great hands. The guy is a big time playmaker and I really like his work ethic.

If you want any receiver in this draft, it's Patterson for me. The looks like a potential 'freak.' His athleticism is ridiculous. I think he'd be an explosive addition to our offense and a guy that would require some immediate attention. His ability to stretch the field is great. Wouldn't be upset with Patterson one bit.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted his name in several spots, but I'd like to see Corey Fuller develop in GB. Great speed and pretty good production for limited football experience post H.S. Has all the tools, just needs them refined.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: