Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rank the WR's in this years draft that fit the Packer system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
persiandud


Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1009
Location: Davis, CA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love Robinson. Big play threat that you can line up anywhere. Understands the game from a QB's perspective. The hands issue is concerning, but getting him in the mid rounds is great value IMO. CBSsports.com has his 40 time at 4.39. I'd love it if our coaching staff can get their hands on him, because I have a feeling he'd come around in a big way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Green


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 1544
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you guys noticed this but TT likes to draft WRs with thick arms. Look at Jones, Nelson, Jennings etc...they are very thick armed. Not AJ Green/Randy Moss skinny arm types. Even over the years the undrafted ones had thick arms like Boykin and Gurley.

That should help us identify which players that TT is likely to target.




Another thing that goes without saying is proven consistency at catching the ball and YAC ability.

One final clue imo is how the player celebrates. I think TT tends to veer away from the wild/arrogant ones and instead prefers the guys that chucks the ball back to the ref and gets on with it. All of our guys have that trait.

When i was looking at WRs for the 2011 draft, there was one guy that kept popping up over and over again that fufilled those traits and it was Randall Cobb. Sure enough we drafted him. Laughing

It just my observation, feel free to bash me if i'm being stupid or if i'm just repeating something that is already common knowledge. Laughing
_________________


Last edited by Mr Green on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDpacks_5


Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this draft has a lot of solid role players at WR, not a lot of flash or dominating but for the packers at this point a role player will do just fine. When I think of a packer WR I immediately think of YAC, Character, Value.
With that being said my list would be in this order:

Keenan Allen
Big kid, Nice Hands, knows what to do with the ball in his hands, Very unique in that with his size you wouldn't expect him to be a big YAC guy but he is. I see that deep come back break to the outside TDs from this guy in our offense. Can play slot, Z, and X

Robert Woods
Highlight reel guy because of his playmaking ability once the ball is in his hands, you have to love it. Easily see him fitting in with the group we have and can easily see Aaron throwing him a stop route and letting woods make something happen. Also can play inside and out, I think has the work ethic to put on more frame to help against injuries

Terrance Williams
High Character guy, High Motor, Can play both Z and X spots, and he is unique. He can get down field and he has the body to play in the redzone. DBs have to play over the top because of his speed which Aaron Rodgers would just eat up with the back shoulder passes.

Quinton Patten
Hard worker, comes from a small school. Isn't about all the fame more about success. He doesnt Interview as well as i would like or as well as i have seen from the other WRs but his on the field style is perfectly inline with a young Greg Jennings (maybe a tad clicks slower and not as quick)

Stedman Bailey
I think great value can be had if we can get this kid mid draft (4-5). He is extra quick, above average hands, so clean in and out of his routes. His size is a small knock but he is not the smallest WR out there. He also interviews well and it comes across very sincere the passion he has for getting better and being the best.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GreenMeansGo


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick arms?
Those are not pictures from the draft year.
Do you remember DD at the beginning? He was still malnourished from his childhood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GreenMeansGo


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Cobb, he was ripped even at the combine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10425
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, TT didn't draft Driver.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Green


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 1544
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed driver from my previous post. Realised that he was not relevant to the dicussion as TT did not draft him but the rest of my post still stands.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PossibleCabbage


Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Posts: 3303
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Robinson's hands concern me. I know he was dealing with a finger issue at the Senior Bowl practices, but if you can't catch you can't play WR no matter how fast you are.


I think it's something that is going to come around in short order for him. But I agree that it's a bit of a flag right now. It's not that he can't but he needs to show that he can. New the rest of his game was going to come off raw around that group. But had high hopes of him catching it clean at the very least. Damn good sign that he was willing to come there and compete though. I don't kill them over not showing up like some. But in his case it really did take a pair!


I'm just not sure if you can teach everybody how to catch. Troy Williamson comes to mind: guy had speed to spare and millions of reasons to learn to catch the football but for whatever reason couldn't become even adequate in the hands department.

Robinson can certainly make me feel better about his hands in the pre-draft process (think his pro day will be much more significant than most in this regard) but I still worry about whether or not it's teachable.

Not saying he's bad because he can't catch, but some things either you can't teach or certain guys can't learn, and any time you don't have a lot of data on something (I don't think he ever ran a route at UM) it's not something you can be real confident in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 31288
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about Devonte Christopher from Utah? Looks like he had atrocious QB play to work with. Couldn't gage his YAC ability from what I saw because of the types of 'passes' he was getting.

Has enormous hands though and seems to snag the ball well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13874
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmikep wrote:
Palmy what round do you see Robinson going in ?


That staff has said many times over he will run sub 4.4 in shorts. If that's the case, he might still go day2. LIS, the only real sound "set" comparison of late is Armanti Edwards and he sure went high enough. Hard to say at this point really. I feel Robinson is a better prospect than Edwards was but this is also a better WR class at large.

On the mid board as it stands today. But could rise as much as any of them if he shows he can catch it clean and runs as well as has been said. My guess is that he will land somewhere in the middle of where Edwards went and the mid board grade he now holds.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13874
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Robinson's hands concern me. I know he was dealing with a finger issue at the Senior Bowl practices, but if you can't catch you can't play WR no matter how fast you are.


I think it's something that is going to come around in short order for him. But I agree that it's a bit of a flag right now. It's not that he can't but he needs to show that he can. New the rest of his game was going to come off raw around that group. But had high hopes of him catching it clean at the very least. Damn good sign that he was willing to come there and compete though. I don't kill them over not showing up like some. But in his case it really did take a pair!


I'm just not sure if you can teach everybody how to catch. Troy Williamson comes to mind: guy had speed to spare and millions of reasons to learn to catch the football but for whatever reason couldn't become even adequate in the hands department.

Robinson can certainly make me feel better about his hands in the pre-draft process (think his pro day will be much more significant than most in this regard) but I still worry about whether or not it's teachable.

Not saying he's bad because he can't catch, but some things either you can't teach or certain guys can't learn, and any time you don't have a lot of data on something (I don't think he ever ran a route at UM) it's not something you can be real confident in.


I disagree.

You can't make them have soft "pure" hands but you can sure as hell coach stong/good hands. The Packers all time leading WR(Driver) has anything but "pure" hands. TO is another example of a player that had to learn how to catch it clean. Pure hands are a HUGE plus but it's not as if those guys don't drop a few along the way also. James Jones has very soft god given hands!

In short, Williamson was a WR in college that just flat out had bad hands. It is a skill you can teach though. I agree that Robinson needs to show he can. But I'm not ready to say he can't just yet. I would clearly rather have the guy that can get out of bed and do it. But they all have their flaws and history have proven you can be damn good with "taught" hands.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13874
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few guys send me mail asking why "pure" hands are better than "taught" hands so let me just post this here.

God given soft hands just play better/faster on a football field. It's like anything else that is a god given talent. It's the reason why Finley looks more athletic than guys with far better numbers. It's also the reason why guys like Sitton that are farm boy strong can stone cats and why try hards like Wells/Spitz can bench 500lbs and not move their man a inch.

Birth skills are always more functional on a football field. In many ways that sucks, but that's life. That's not to say guys can't work hard and do this or that. I'm just saying there is a difference. This is also why GM's love their bigs. It's something they need that players can't work harder to get. Your either 6'5 350lbs or your not! Know what I mean?

Hands are the same way. If your not fighting the football it helps you play fast. Soft hands also play better in poor weather more times than not. It's also a tech skill if taught so if a DB gets their hands in there it far more often leads to a dropped pass.

That all said, and I'll say this over and over. It's always the sum of all the parts!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 4301
Location: Evanston, IL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Had a few guys send me mail asking why "pure" hands are better than "taught" hands so let me just post this here.

God given soft hands just play better/faster on a football field. It's like anything else that is a god given talent. It's the reason why Finley looks more athletic than guys with far better numbers. It's also the reason why guys like Sitton that are farm boy strong can stone cats and why try hards like Wells/Spitz can bench 500lbs and not move their man a inch.

Birth skills are always more functional on a football field. In many ways that sucks, but that's life. That's not to say guys can't work hard and do this or that. I'm just saying there is a difference. This is also why GM's love their bigs. It's something they need that players can't work harder to get. Your either 6'5 350lbs or your not! Know what I mean?

Hands are the same way. If your not fighting the football it helps you play fast. Soft hands also play better in poor weather more times than not. It's also a tech skill if taught so if a DB gets their hands in there it far more often leads to a dropped pass.

That all said, and I'll say this over and over. It's always the sum of all the parts!


Shocked

One of the most insightful things I have read on here.
_________________
Simian07:
Quote:
I'd argue Jordy is probably around the 30th-40th best receiver in the NFL, maybe 50th.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dubyajay


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1705
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Had a few guys send me mail asking why "pure" hands are better than "taught" hands so let me just post this here.

God given soft hands just play better/faster on a football field. It's like anything else that is a god given talent. It's the reason why Finley looks more athletic than guys with far better numbers. It's also the reason why guys like Sitton that are farm boy strong can stone cats and why try hards like Wells/Spitz can bench 500lbs and not move their man a inch.

Birth skills are always more functional on a football field. In many ways that sucks, but that's life. That's not to say guys can't work hard and do this or that. I'm just saying there is a difference. This is also why GM's love their bigs. It's something they need that players can't work harder to get. Your either 6'5 350lbs or your not! Know what I mean?

Hands are the same way. If your not fighting the football it helps you play fast. Soft hands also play better in poor weather more times than not. It's also a tech skill if taught so if a DB gets their hands in there it far more often leads to a dropped pass.

That all said, and I'll say this over and over. It's always the sum of all the parts!


My dad always laughed at me when I started pushing weights around when I was a teen. He said, " You wanna be strong boy? Go swing an axe or a hammer for a while." It's so true too. Had a friend and when we drank too much, the next day his old man would wake us up early to go crack and pile some firewood. Seen my buddy demo plenty of people nearly twice his size. Kid looked average, but he had so natural strength to him that was just insane.

Dad was like that too. Mechanic by trade, worked on cars wrenching all his life. Had a six-pack til his last day. Never brok 125lbs soaking wet but was one of the strongest people I've ever been around- and functional strong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13874
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hits home with me because I was the other way around. I was weak as they come when I started lifting weights. By the time I left high school though I held every school lifting record and had a full ride in hand. Held mine in college also but that's when I started finding out what "farm boy strong" really was. Frickin leverage too I tell ya!

Damn thing never goes away if your on the short end of it either. All my life I wanted to be 6'5 and excel in football. LIS, I held mine but at the end of the day there are not too many six foot lineman in the NFL. After football I started to compete in powerlifting and found out there were guys next to me that were 5'5 and could squat a damn truck........ Evil or Very Mad

Such is life though I guess..... Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group