Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are Barkevious Mingo and Aldon Smith Simular? Option @6?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Are Barkevious Mingo and Aldon Smith Simular? Option @6? Reply with quote

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/aldon-smith-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/barkevious-mingo-1.html

Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
Height: 6-4. Weight: 250 in College

Barkevious Mingo*, DE/OLB, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 245 in College

Post Combine. Can't find the pre Combine Write up.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aldon-smith?id=2495487

Pre Combine write up.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/barkevious-mingo?id=2540140

See I think there are some very interesting comparisons between the 2.

#1 Both IMO were terribly miscast 43 DE's in college and more suited for the 34 in the Pro's
#2 Both flashed great ability athletically but struggled with consistent production in college.
#3 Both have a tremendous 1st step/initial burst.

Is Mingo going to have Smith like results in the NFL? I don't know but I find the similarities VERY interesting.

Where they differ is I think Smith is stouter/stronger and Mingo is faster and more athletic.

Thoughts?
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 6979
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 6979
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42322/321/all-bark-no-bite
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 6979
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42322/321/all-bark-no-bite


That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

Hes not anywhere near Aldon Smith's level even as a prospect.
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42322/321/all-bark-no-bite


That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

Hes not anywhere near Aldon Smith's level even as a prospect.


Never made that claim. I said they are similar in college.

And it's a rotoworld article with pictures of Mingo bending the edge vs Jake Mathews.
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 6979
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42322/321/all-bark-no-bite


That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

Hes not anywhere near Aldon Smith's level even as a prospect.


Never made that claim. I said they are similar in college.


You do this all the time. Just because there stats and h/w/40 may be similar, they aren't similar players.

I'm not touching mingo inside the top 15-20.
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42322/321/all-bark-no-bite


That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

Hes not anywhere near Aldon Smith's level even as a prospect.


Never made that claim. I said they are similar in college.


You do this all the time. Just because there stats and h/w/40 may be similar, they aren't similar players.

I'm not touching mingo inside the top 15-20.


My OP brought up 3 points and provided references. My Title asked questions. All I am trying to do is talk about a guy that may well be in the conversation at 6.

BTW: That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

You can have good to great bend and not have the flexibility of Von Miller.
Wink
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote














_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 6979
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42322/321/all-bark-no-bite


That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

Hes not anywhere near Aldon Smith's level even as a prospect.


Never made that claim. I said they are similar in college.


You do this all the time. Just because there stats and h/w/40 may be similar, they aren't similar players.

I'm not touching mingo inside the top 15-20.


My OP brought up 3 points and provided references. My Title asked questions. All I am trying to do is talk about a guy that may well be in the conversation at 6.

BTW: That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

You can have good to great bend and not have the flexibility of Von Miller.
Wink


Mingo doesn't have great bend. Smith has elite bend. Robert Quinn (just to reference a recent college athlete) has great bend. Mingo has good bend.. Which he rarely displayed. He tries to get by on athleticism.

Mingo is the type of player that would need to develop his skills and get a mean streak and he could become a good player. He basically didn't try this year..
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42322/321/all-bark-no-bite


That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

Hes not anywhere near Aldon Smith's level even as a prospect.


Never made that claim. I said they are similar in college.


You do this all the time. Just because there stats and h/w/40 may be similar, they aren't similar players.

I'm not touching mingo inside the top 15-20.


My OP brought up 3 points and provided references. My Title asked questions. All I am trying to do is talk about a guy that may well be in the conversation at 6.

BTW: That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

You can have good to great bend and not have the flexibility of Von Miller.
Wink


Mingo doesn't have great bend. Smith has elite bend. Robert Quinn (just to reference a recent college athlete) has great bend. Mingo has good bend.. Which he rarely displayed. He tries to get by on athleticism.

Mingo is the type of player that would need to develop his skills and get a mean streak and he could become a good player. He basically didn't try this year..
I think a more accurate statement is: He was out of position this year, he had no business playing 43 LDE IMO.

And to your other point what pass rusher doesn't try to use there athleticism against their opponent?

I get it you don't like the guy. I find him an interesting prospect but for the record I prefer Moore and Werner to him right now. I am just asking questions and pointing this out about him.
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 6979
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
No and I'll tell you why.

Smith had very good hands and could bend very well. Those are 2 of the three things in my book that make a great edge rusher. The 3rd being a motor. Mingo doesn't really possess any of that. His claim to fame is being quick off the ball. He needs to be more violent with his hands. I had Smith going to us in the top 7 that year in a few mocks. You won't see that from me about Mingo.


Mingo does need to improve his hand technique, agreed but he can bend it very well IMO. I disagree about Mingo's motor as he was playing out of position as a 43 LDE.


Please tell me when you saw him bend the edge this year. I never saw it.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42322/321/all-bark-no-bite


That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

Hes not anywhere near Aldon Smith's level even as a prospect.


Never made that claim. I said they are similar in college.


You do this all the time. Just because there stats and h/w/40 may be similar, they aren't similar players.

I'm not touching mingo inside the top 15-20.


My OP brought up 3 points and provided references. My Title asked questions. All I am trying to do is talk about a guy that may well be in the conversation at 6.

BTW: That's nice. I ask for evidence of bend and you give me a rotoworld article. They even contradict themselves: "he's got great bend" - then in the last paragraph - "he doesn't have the flexibility of a Von miller..

You can have good to great bend and not have the flexibility of Von Miller.
Wink


Mingo doesn't have great bend. Smith has elite bend. Robert Quinn (just to reference a recent college athlete) has great bend. Mingo has good bend.. Which he rarely displayed. He tries to get by on athleticism.

Mingo is the type of player that would need to develop his skills and get a mean streak and he could become a good player. He basically didn't try this year..
I think a more accurate statement is: He was out of position this year, he had no business playing 43 LDE IMO.

And to your other point what pass rusher doesn't try to use there athleticism against their opponent?

I get it you don't like the guy. I find him an interesting prospect but for the record I prefer Moore and Werner to him right now. I am just asking questions and pointing this out about him.


Okay replace athleticism with quickness. All that those screen shots show is exactly what I said about him: he's got a good first step.

I never said I didn't like him. I said he's a 15-20 draft pick. I'd still have to like a guy to take him in the 1st right?
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I overstated.

The reason I am interested in him is I could see Werner and Moore gone in the top 5.

Even if J.Jones is available I wouldn't want him due to his diagnose condition.

So that leaves the next ranked 34 OLB prospect of Millner.

I think Milner is good but he isn't great. I think the only reason he is rated the top CB is the top CB's at the top of the CB class are Meh 1st rounders.

If Star is available at 6 I would run to the podium with that pick, but ouside of star I can't see not going pass Rusher @ 6 which leads me back to Mingo.

Unless Somebody would rank somebody else over Mingo outside of Jones Moore and Werner?
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pnies20


Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 6979
Location: Nashville through Erie, PA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because Moore would be gone (not including Werner because he's not a viable option at 6 right now) doesn't mean we would have to take the next best OLB. Take a corner. Take the BPA. I don't care who it is... Besides a left tackle I guess lol.
_________________
2013 Browns Forum HOF Inductee

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group