Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bjoern Werner (think out of the box)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

who would you take
Werner
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Geno Smith
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
someone else
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Nic, yep, but one thing I saw (correct me if I'm wrong) ....Manuel had the quickest release and was't too shabby. Your thoughts on him?????

Hmmm, Manuel is a prospect I have tried to watch closely. He has the physical tools but struggles with inconsistency. Some posters in the draft forum compared him to Kaepernick as far as his mobility goes while others compared him to Roethlisberger. I think he is closer to Roethlisberger than Kaepernick as Manuel and Roethlisberger aren't nearly as athletic or smooth when running. Roethlisberger is much more adept at sliding to avoid pressure and has very good balance to follow through with a throw while under duress. Manuel doesn't seem to have near the pocket presence and I have to wonder about his balance because despite his size (6'-4", 235 lbs.) he seems to be tripped up in the pocket fairly easily.

A poster in the draft forum mentioned something very interesting that I have to say is a good description of one of my biggest concerns about Manuel. Manuel is well known for his willingness to take to coaching and is reportedly a hard-working film junkie when it comes to studying the position and reading defenses. That obviously is at first glance a big positive, but that does concern me considering where he is at as an NFL prospect. He seems very mechanical in his fundamentals and technique, almost to the extent that makes it seem like he is constantly thinking about all of the little things that go into having proper technique as a quarterback.

So I guess what I am saying is that despite all of his hardwork he might always struggle with the little things that really add up that most "natural" quarterbacks do without thought play-after-play. I might be too hard on him from this standpoint as he still has plenty of time to make progress.

I have come away after watching him play and can't shake the feeling that maybe the position will never become completely "natural" to him and that he will always struggle to maintain basic fundamentals - and that mental struggle could keep him from making other snap decisions during a play.

The other part of me realizes that essentially he has started only 2 seasons at Florida State and no amount of film study or preparation will fully prepare you for real game action as a starting quarterback.

Maybe part of the problem is coaching, I don't know. I will say, if someone like Andy Reid & company sit down with Manuel and really truly believe that he has the ability to put it all together and realize his potential, I am ok with him being our long term solution at QB.

To me Manuel is an enigma. I think in the right scenario he could develop and have a real shot at reaching his full potential, but I also think if he doesn't land in the right situation he could really struggle.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Nic, yep, but one thing I saw (correct me if I'm wrong) ....Manuel had the quickest release and was't too shabby. Your thoughts on him?????

he looked good in the Senior Bowl cause there is not blitzing. No pressure. Manuel is terrible with pressure.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel reminds, and especially after Nic's description, it really became apparent with what I'd seen, he's very similar to former A&M QB Jerrod Johnson.

Johnson was a big guy who was very mobile, great arm, coaches son who was always watching tape, gym rat type, etc. He just could never really get it together to be consistent. He was the one that got pulled mid-season after several multi-interception games for Tannehill to come in and shine.

He went on to go to Philly under Reid, but never did anything in the NFL, and is now in the UFL.

Ultimately, and Johnson, and I'm afraid Manuel, just don't have the requisite football mind of a QB. They both are sharp guys and are/were hard workers, but they just can't seem to get things to click. Maybe Manuel just needs more time, but I don't see him as more then a 3rd rounder, and probably more like a 4-5th round kind of guy.

^ryknowssd on the sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigs I couldn't agree more. And maybe that is why I dislike Manuel. I just don't see it. I think someone stated pressure being an issue as well. I'm ok with him as the second QB we draft...
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you run a quarterback prospect through the ringer (film review, offseason workouts, interviews, etc.) and come out the other side believing he is a franchise quarterback AND you need a quarterback, you take him.

This is it, couldn't be said better. If we pass it is clearly because these guys don't have what it takes to be number one. I just hope I'm wrong and someone worthwhile falls to 34.
brawl.kc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been getting entirely too carried away with this positional value hub-bub. The simple, basic truth to the draft is that it is pertinent that you add fresh young talent to your team. It doesn't matter when you get them. Looking back at some of the "idiotic" picks that were ever made -- Raiders grabbing a kicker in the 1st. Guess what? He's going to be a hall of famer and has scored more points for his team than anybody drafted after him except Tom Brady. If you add good players that stick to your roster, it doesn't matter WHEN you draft the guy except for how much his 1st contract is worth. I don't care if we add a stud QB in the 1st, 2nd, 4th or 5th round. I don't care as long as we get a guy and we can rely on that guy. Same being said for the 1st pick. Whoever is the best darn player in the draft this year we have a chance to get. That's all that #1 means. Hopefully our scouts identify him and get him into the fold. I could care less which position they're in, so long as it bolsters the roster on my team, sign me up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: