Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CW21's Packers Mock Draft v2013.02
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: CW21's Packers Mock Draft v2013.02 Reply with quote

Don't want to do FA again, especially when I think it's going to be similar as before. Also, we get a fourth round pick in compensation for Matt Flynn.

We trade down from first round pick and pairing it with our third round pick into the early second and an early third round pick. We also trade up from our late second and early third round pick to move up into the mid second round and mid third round.

Round 2A - Sharrif Floyd [DT; Florida]
I love his fit as a five technique in our defense. He's going to be an absolute stud in our defense, and a future star. I think he's got a bright future and hope he's a Packer come draft day.

Round 2B - Robert Woods [WR; USC]
Robert Woods is another guy that fits the Packers to a T. Unfortunately, Greg Jennings is likely going to walk as a free agent this year so the Packers will likely draft to replace him.

Round 3 - Sean Porter [OLB; Texas A&M]
The Packers need to bring more depth to their pass rush position, and Sean Porter is a year removed from having a big year. Then this year they asked him to drop more into coverage.

Round 4A - Kevin Riddick [LB; North Carolina]
I love Kevin Riddick in this defense with his ability to bring pressure up the middle. He's got some concerns about play awareness but he's got big time talent.

Round 4B - Christine Michael [RB; Texas A&M]
He's been a strong showing thus far in the postseason, but he'll need to continue with a strong combine. The Packers were one of the teams most interested in him, and the Packers' running game has been well below-average.

Round 5 - Chris Jones [DT; Bowling Green]
Chris Jones has been extremely productive at Bowling Green, and hopefully that production continues in Green Bay. He'll add more depth to the five technique position.

Round 6A - Ryan Otten [TE; San Jose State]
I honestly don't see D.J. Williams coming back next year unless he has a strong preseason, so let's add some more depth to our roster and this San Jose State tight end has had a pretty good season.

Round 6B - Kemal Ishmael [S; UCF]
He's one of my sleeper picks at safety with his extremely solid play and one of the best tacklesr in the draft. He may not have the notoriety of the other top safety prospects but I think he'll have a good career.

Round 7 - Brad Sorenson [QB; Southern Utah]
The Packers like to have at least four quarterbacks in camp, and they've got the veteran in Graham Harrell behind Rodgers as well as last year's project in B.J. Coleman. Now they add their rookie QB to compete.

QB: Aaron Rodgers / B.J. Coleman
FB: John Kuhn
RB: DaJuan Harris / James Starks / Alex Green / Christine Michael
TE: Jermichael Finley / Andrew Quarless / Tom Crabtree / Ryan Otten / Ryan Taylor
WR: Randall Cobb / Robert Woods / Jarrett Boykin
WR: Jordy Nelson / James Jones
LT: Marshall Newhouse / Derek Sherrod
OG: T.J. Lang / EDS
C: Evan Dietrich-Smith / Garth Gerhart
RG: Josh Sitton / EDS
RT: Bryan Bulaga / Don Barclay

LDE: Ryan Pickett / Mike Neal / Mike Daniels / Jerel Worthy (IR)
NT: B.J. Raji / Ryan Pickett
RDE: C.J. Wilson / Sharrif Floyd / Chris Jones
LOLB: Nick Perry / Sean Porter
WILB: Desmond Bishop / D.J. Smith
SILB: A.J. Hawk / Kevin Riddick
ROLB: Clay Matthews / Dezman Moses
LCB: Tramon Williams / Davon House / Jarrett Bush
FS: Morgan Burnett / Kemal Ishmael
SS: M.D. Jennings / Jerron McMillian
RCB: Sam Shields / Casey Heyward

K: Mason Crosby
P: Tim Masthay
LS: Brett Goode
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I can say is I'd like to go S earlier, but cannot arfue with any of the picks here. Very good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this draft, especially the top of it. Floyd was my original draft crush and I hope we have a shot at him. Same with Reddick in the third-fourth round. Addresses our needs but at a great value.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I like Floyd and Woods early. Dont think that Floyd lasts to Round 2 though.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
Pick6byWoodson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do like this mock, I'm not sure I understand why DE would be considered early in the draft. We have six quality d-linemen on this team as it is, (which is plenty for a 3-4 defense), and while four of them have expiring contracts after next season, it shouldn't be too hard to re-sign a few of them. Raji will be the only one requiring a decent amount of money.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick6byWoodson wrote:
While I do like this mock, I'm not sure I understand why DE would be considered early in the draft. We have six quality d-linemen on this team as it is, (which is plenty for a 3-4 defense), and while four of them have expiring contracts after next season, it shouldn't be too hard to re-sign a few of them. Raji will be the only one requiring a decent amount of money.

Just because you can resign them does not mean you will want to, outside of Raji they are very replaceable and drafted players are much cheaper than players on their second contract. Also, they need more than what they are getting from the position, especially from Wilson and Neal (who happen to be the ones with the expiring contracts) so bring in some players and see if they develop into more.

I am all on board with this, bring in some pass rush and some more big guys on the dline. The run defense and pass rush needs to be addressed in this draft.

We will have to get a little lucky to get those players in the 4th IMO, but they might stay in that projection area. Depends on how they do in shorts. I really liked how you addressed the offense but did not try to give it a lobotomy either. They will need an additional receiving threat with Jennings departure, but otherwise they really can just stand to see what a healthy offensive line and TE corp will give them. I agree on the Williams assessment as well, man looks great in TC practices and then disappears in games.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
Pick6byWoodson wrote:

Just because you can resign them does not mean you will want to, outside of Raji they are very replaceable and drafted players are much cheaper than players on their second contract. Also, they need more than what they are getting from the position, especially from Wilson and Neal (who happen to be the ones with the expiring contracts) so bring in some players and see if they develop into more.

I am all on board with this, bring in some pass rush and some more big guys on the dline. The run defense and pass rush needs to be addressed in this draft.

I don't think Wilson and Neal will be all that expensive at all seeings how Wilson was someone who was borderline cut last year and Neal has been hurt most of his career. However....I think we at least add another guy to that D-line but probably someone who can rotate inside and out the way Pickett has been able to. Pickett's contract expires next year I believe but much of this season, he seemed to be gassed and ready to quit. I think he's about done.

I like the idea of drafting Ishmael in the 6th for the reasons you stated but I'd at least draft two DB's. I've said it before and I'll beat the drum again: Our secondary is what has lost us playoff games in 3 of the last 4 years. We have not been able to replace Nick Collins and I honestly don't think we've got the players to do so right now, even with McMillian's strong rookie season. Therefore, I'd have to go with Eric Reid or Matt Elam early in this draft as well as Ismael in the 6th. I don't trust Robert Woods or any other USC WR coming out. Name me one USC WR that's been successful since Keyshawn Johnson...

DJ Williams has been a disappointment but we've yet to see Quarless come back from that injury. I don't think he'll be back and Williams will be able to play out his contract. I like the idea with Otten, but I'd go with someone like Joseph Fauria or even Philip Lutzenkirchen in UDFA. Lutzenkirchen's stock plummeted after Auburn began to royally suck and nobody could get him the ball....then he got hurt...
Pick6byWoodson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
Pick6byWoodson wrote:

I just don't see a point in replacing Neal and Wilson, they're good enough complimentary players, Neal has shown when healthy he's a decent pass rusher and Wilson is an ideal LE in our defense.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick6byWoodson wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
Pick6byWoodson wrote:

I just don't see a point in replacing Neal and Wilson, they're good enough complimentary players, Neal has shown when healthy he's a decent pass rusher and Wilson is an ideal LE in our defense.

Decent gets you to the playoffs and no further. Decent allows over 30 points to the Vikings and calls it a good day when they hold AP under 200 yards. Decent puts you on the field 10 games a season max and allows over 35 points in the playoffs. Decent should NEVER be an acceptable word in Titeltown.

You always look to upgrade players that need to be upgraded. Neal and Wilson while decent have their limitations. Unfortunately decent big men in this league do not go cheap, especially in comparison with rookie contracts.

Give me this draft and last year's draft see if any of them will upgrade Wilson and Neal. I will still take Pickett for 15-20 plays a game because we have witnessed he will give you 15-20 winning snaps a game. We have also seen that anymore than that will render him very ineffective at the end of the year. Get some dlinemen in there that will relieve the number of snaps that Pickett and Raji have to endure and get some guys in there that are going to make a difference above decent in the years ahead.

I do not want to make it sound like I am just on a rant. I like those players a lot, however we should all be very cognizant that they are holding the team back as well. GMs do not keep players just because they like them and yeah, they are decent players. The whole concept of "decent" and "good enough" is the biggest problem the Packer defense has right now. They need to get beyond decent to get the next level.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent gets you to the playoffs and no further. Decent allows over 30 points to the Vikings and calls it a good day when they hold AP under 200 yards. Decent puts you on the field 10 games a season max and allows over 35 points in the playoffs. Decent should NEVER be an acceptable word in Titeltown.[/quote]

So what you're saying is that Dom Capers is "decent"...

kinda hard to be gauge players when your when your D-coordinator is "decent"

but I digress, our problem on that defense is still the secondary, nevermind the injuries from this past year, when our secondary is still the glaring weakness when all those guys are healthy, you upgrade it. I'm sure if we slowed down Ponder in Week 17 and Slowpoke didn't commit that boneheaded penalty, we wouldn't be talking too much about AP's day; it becomes irrelevant because we won. The issues we had against the run were due to back-ups at the LB position not stopping the play. AP wouldn't necessarily run at Raji, but he would run to the outside and gain 10-15 yards a play because our OLB's couldn't set the edge and our DB's were getting blocked downfield.

Again, though, that comes down to defensive gameplan, not necessarily the players. I don't entirely blame the players.
Pick6byWoodson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
Pick6byWoodson wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
Pick6byWoodson wrote:

Decent gets you to the playoffs and no further. Decent allows over 30 points to the Vikings and calls it a good day when they hold AP under 200 yards. Decent puts you on the field 10 games a season max and allows over 35 points in the playoffs. Decent should NEVER be an acceptable word in Titeltown.

You always look to upgrade players that need to be upgraded. Neal and Wilson while decent have their limitations. Unfortunately decent big men in this league do not go cheap, especially in comparison with rookie contracts.

Give me this draft and last year's draft see if any of them will upgrade Wilson and Neal. I will still take Pickett for 15-20 plays a game because we have witnessed he will give you 15-20 winning snaps a game. We have also seen that anymore than that will render him very ineffective at the end of the year. Get some dlinemen in there that will relieve the number of snaps that Pickett and Raji have to endure and get some guys in there that are going to make a difference above decent in the years ahead.

I do not want to make it sound like I am just on a rant. I like those players a lot, however we should all be very cognizant that they are holding the team back as well. GMs do not keep players just because they like them and yeah, they are decent players. The whole concept of "decent" and "good enough" is the biggest problem the Packer defense has right now. They need to get beyond decent to get the next level.

Well yeah our D-line COULD be upgraded, but I just think there's more pressing needs than addressing a position where I feel we have plenty of depth.
justo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Floyd drops I would be stoked.
ajhawk5047

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick6byWoodson wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
Pick6byWoodson wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
Pick6byWoodson wrote:

Well yeah our D-line COULD be upgraded, but I just think there's more pressing needs than addressing a position where I feel we have plenty of depth.

it would be a real bummer if TT was always drafting for need.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I have with your final roster CWood is at S, and I really do not see a S this year that is going to make much of a difference. Burnett is an average FS and below average SS IMO. I do not see a FS in this class that is going to be the upgrade necessary and I hate to pull McMillian from learning that other S spot. That S spot is just crucial in Capers scheme to be successful, cannot have an average part there!!

Also would definitely think Manning will make the team next year at ILB, even with the Riddick pick. I'd probably go back to 4 TEs on the roster and dump this 5 TE concept to keep Manning on the team. Guy is very good on STs and the staff likes his prospects moving forward inside. The LB / TE body type is very close for TTs liking on STs as well. Drop Crabs who is not under contract (Taylor is ready to assume this role as well) and add Manning and I like it.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Riddick pick forces out Rob Francois and Jamari Lattimore more than anything. Rob Francois has had his plays but he hasn't done much since. Barring a phenomenal training camp/preseason, that all but seals his fate.

Either way, however, we need to seriously address that secondary. Some might still be hung up on Slowpoke Williams' 2010 season: get over it, it's 2013 and he desperately needs to be replaced. He shouldn't make the final 53, especially with that cap hating contract. I'd be more comfortable with a project player, rather than someone with a 4.6 40 time who, frankly, can't play zone or any other scheme we seem to want to run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: