Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Percy Harvin?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Percy Harvin? Reply with quote

Quote:
Sources tell Mike Max of WCCO in Minneapolis that Spielman will indeed actively pursue a Harvin trade on the heels of a November meltdown directed at head coach Leslie Frazier.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137929/article/report-vikings-will-actively-pursue-percy-harvin-trade

I think we should jump all over it, for many reasons actually.

1. If Tony retires, a huge dimension of our offense goes missing and we have nothing to replace it with. Percy could be just the guy to fill that void.
2. Having Harvin would give us an explosive receiver in the slot, a guy we can do a bunch of things with, and MUCH more effective than Harry Douglas
3. Having Harvin would give us 3 versatile star receivers that can effectively play in the slot or on the outside.
4. Our return game sucks, Percy would be able to finally give it some life.
5. Our wide receiver depth is questionable right now, Percy would definitely help solidify the corps.

I was just working on a mock where we trade up in the first round to get Cordarelle Patterson. I would gladly use those picks to acquire a proven star in Percy Harvin. It just makes too much sense. I want Harvin on this team. Even if Gonzalez does come back.

How much would you guys be willing to give for him? I would give a 2013 1st round pick and 2014 3rd round pick that can become a second. Or maybe the opposite if Minnesota would accept that, but I doubt it.

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
mjmiller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only way i would say yes to this would be if White was a FA and we didnt plan on bringing him back. yes very good and very explosive but we need to use our money on our needs. not on a #3 WR when he can go to a place and actually get paid as a #1.
swoosh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the idea of adding a player of Harvin's caliber and skill-set, but don't like the idea of Harvin himself. It'd be a much better idea, imo, to just select Tavon Austin. Very similar skill-set, without the baggage. Also, a lot less money.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trade Harry Douglas and a third round draft pick and i am down!
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjmiller wrote:
only way i would say yes to this would be if White was a FA and we didnt plan on bringing him back. yes very good and very explosive but we need to use our money on our needs. not on a #3 WR when he can go to a place and actually get paid as a #1.

I think adding another dimension to the offense is definitely a need. If Gonzo retires, as of right now, we are definitely a worse team than we were last year. No question. And no rookie tight end is going to come in and do what Tony did for us last year, as well as no free agent tight end.

JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first and a conditional 3rd?

No way.

Building our team through the draft is our best bet. Improving our defense through our picks should be our priority. Our offense can live without Tony assuming we bring in a decent replacement. Matt is good enough to develop and overcome the loss.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
mjmiller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

I think adding another dimension to the offense is definitely a need. If Gonzo retires, as of right now, we are definitely a worse team than we were last year. No question. And no rookie tight end is going to come in and do what Tony did for us last year, as well as no free agent tight end.

so u wanna waste money on a #3 WR/KR with injury problems and still be in the same boat we are in, instead of grabbing a FA DE and FA TE?

if we didnt have Roddy then id be all for the idea of Harvin coming in and being our #2. but we need defense more then anything right now.
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjmiller wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

so u wanna waste money on a #3 WR/KR with injury problems and still be in the same boat we are in, instead of grabbing a FA DE and FA TE?

if we didnt have Roddy then id be all for the idea of Harvin coming in and being our #2. but we need defense more then anything right now.

What defender can we draft or sign in free agency that would make more of an impact to this team than Harvin? I can only think of a few, and those players are more than likely going to be re-signed by their respective teams. Gonzo went 6 M towards the CAP last year. Harvin is only set to make 2.9 million in 2013, and Roddy will be a free agent after the 2014 season.
You are treating Harvin as if he is your average #3 WR/KR here. This is a guy that you can do so much with, especially in this offense with our personnel.

And JonnyQuest, looking back I do agree that my original price is too much. But I would still gladly give a first for him. I don't think that's too much.

And Tavon Austin would be considered a 1st round pick if he had a similar skill set to Harvin, lets be honest. But I do like Tavon Austin though, he wouldn't be a bad consolation prize to Harvin or CorDarelle.

devils1854

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
mjmiller wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

What defender can we draft or sign in free agency that would make more of an impact to this team than Harvin? I can only think of a few, and those players are more than likely going to be re-signed by their respective teams. Gonzo went 6 M towards the CAP last year. Harvin is only set to make 2.9 million in 2013, and Roddy will be a free agent after the 2014 season.
You are treating Harvin as if he is your average #3 WR/KR here. This is a guy that you can do so much with, especially in this offense with our personnel.

And JonnyQuest, looking back I do agree that my original price is too much. But I would still gladly give a first for him. I don't think that's too much.

And Tavon Austin would be considered a 1st round pick if he had a similar skill set to Harvin, lets be honest. But I do like Tavon Austin though, he wouldn't be a bad consolation prize to Harvin or CorDarelle.

Hasnt that question been asked every year for the past few years? We are scoring close to 30 points a game. We have Roddy and Julio. We have NO pass rush.

Big NO to Harvin or any offensive player in the first round this year. Montgomery/Okafor/or any potential impact player that might fall.

#JDI
devils1854

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picks that were made at #30 or farther back that were huge impact guys

2012 NFL Draft:
Janoris Jenkins
Bobby Wagner
Jerel Worthy(pre-injury)
Lavonte David
Casey Heyward

Thats just defensive players drafted in the 2nd round that made a huge impact for their teams this past year.

#JDI
Lentz33

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
mjmiller wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

Tavon Austin is considered a first round talent.

Adopt-a-Falcon: Matt Ryan - 76-111 68.4% 965 yards 7 TDs 3 INTs 105.2 QB Rating
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:

idk what teams you are talking to, but Tavon Austin is considered the next Harvin and Cordarrelle won't make it past 15.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:

2012 NFL Draft:
Janoris Jenkins
Bobby Wagner
Jerel Worthy(pre-injury)
Lavonte David
Casey Heyward

Thats just defensive players drafted in the 2nd round that made a huge impact for their teams this past year.

None of those players are defensive ends. And I actually really wanted Heyward.

And we'll see about Austin. I disagree that he'll be a first round pick, but he very well could be. Its too early to tell IMO.

I guess no one has the same views as me after all :/ Maybe my mentality is the way it is because I'm a quarterback and I love offense and weapons
Laughing

I just don't want to see our offense regress from last year, because we're in the same division as the Saints and the improving Panthers offense. I have a bad feeling those 93 catches for 930 yards will be missed if we don't address the offense properly.

But don't get me wrong, if TD feels that there's a defensive end at 30 that can contribute immediately and develop into a solid player then I say go for it. I'm sick of watching the opposing QB have 10 minutes to throw, I really am. But even in this fairly deep DE class, I don't see an immediate contributor waiting for us at 30. I do like Alex Okafor a lot, and I like Chase Thomas in a similar role to what Biermann played for us this year only better at it.

DrawABlank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
devils1854 wrote:

Snipped List

None of those players are defensive ends. And I actually really wanted Heyward.

Last year's draft was weak on the DL. This year is strong.

Another strong DL class was 2011, which featured Justin Houston, Jabaal Sheard and Muhammed Wilkerson as Pro-Bowl caliber defensive line talents selected at or after pick 30.

Remember, you're not just sacrificing the 1st rounder. You only have Harvin under contract for 1 year, and then you have to pay him as a free agent. So in essence you are spending a 1st round pick to rent Harvin for 1 year. There is a reason why there are so few player trades involving a 1st round pick that don't involve a QB.

Foster-A-Falcon: Matt Bryant
2013 Stats: 24/27 FG (88.9%), 39/39 XP (100%)
Robust Perry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt2Roddy, I see where you're going with this and Percy would be a GREAT underneath and slot replacement for Tony G. We wouldn't really need a TE and could cause nightmares for opposing defenses. Roddy, Julio & Percy would be the nastiest receiving corp I could ever think of. I also agree that it's worth getting a proven, young All Pro talent than drafting a potential star in the first that still would have some % of bust factor. We need defense though and if we were going to be giving up a first round pick I'd much rather get Revis than Percy. Remember that our 2nd round pick is still at the very end of the draft and most the guys you mentioned were early to mid second rounders. The Vikings said that they want a first rounder for Percy and most sites say they'd be lucky to get a first and have to settle on a high second or a package of picks & players. Percy also wants to break the bank in his next contract and it just wouldn't make sense to spend that much on our WR3. I like what you're thinking but it's probably too much of a headache (pun intended) to acquire Percy.

Robust Perry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: