Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma Reply with quote

Does anyone think more and more that this guy might be the pick at #12? He appears to be climbing draft boards with elite athleticism at the LT position. Perfect for the ZBS. And he hasn't even been playing OL for long. A former QB and TE.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
Does anyone think more and more that this guy might be the pick at #12? He appears to be climbing draft boards with elite athleticism at the LT position. Perfect for the ZBS. And he hasn't even been playing OL for long. A former QB and TE.
I said it in another thread on here in someones mock that had him going late round 2. If we dont have a tackle by the draft this guy is very much in play he will get drafted top 20 and is only one of a very few in the draft that can play LT or RT. He is climbing alot like Nate soldier did when the patriots drafted as a converted TE and that has worked out real good. super light feet and has a mean streak.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have Lane Johnson in my mock(something now sitting on my desk for 3 weeks).

However with Lewan and Matthews headed back to college Johnson is rising in the boards by the gap created.

Originally I had him with my first pick in Round 3 but now he is rising so fast that he may end up a late first round selection. Probably the only caveat he has is only two years playing at the tackle position. That may scare off a few GM's using a first rounder or very early second round selection.

If Jack Long leaves via free agency he would be a nice pick up for the Dolphins at RT with the our first pick in Round 2. Of course in that scenario Martin slides over to his natural position at LT.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 11, Tackles 11 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 11 : Death 30 Joe 34
Lemmiwinks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all of our needs, i'd much much much rather pay Jake Long 10 mil a season than spend the 12th overall pick on his replacement. If we were talking about 2nd round like Martin, then I wouldn't be as opposed but at 12th overall? No way. Jake needs to come back. He wasn't as good but saying Martin was just as good when he replaced him is a joke. Jake was by himself on every play against everybody and Martin was given help by a back or Tight End. While on the topic, Sean Smith needs to come back too. He isn't worth the money he is seeking but we had him during his learning process and now he is entering his prime and we have a need at Corner even with him.
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why his 2 years of experience playing OT is a knock on him. He doesn't play like it. Based on ability alone, he's a mid 1st round pick.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
I have no idea why his 2 years of experience playing OT is a knock on him. He doesn't play like it. Based on ability alone, he's a mid 1st round pick.
you are right he will be a top 20 pick and the scouting community has been high on him for a couple months. He has the lightest feet of any lineman in the draft with with 35 inch arms and a mean streak a guy who can play Lt or Rt
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for him replacing jake long he would be 7 years younger 10 million cheaper and a better fit scheme wise as he is a better athlete and already comes from a zone blocking offense.. Would he be worth it at 12 yet idk but maybe a trade back a few spots or by the time the process is done he might be..
PhinFan52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
because of past players.... former TE's moved to OT.. OG haven't really been the elite linemen we all hope for.. look at Barrett Jones.. last yr he was considered a 1st rd LT if he'd have came out.. stayed moved to C now he's a 2nd rd prospect ???
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:
because of past players.... former TE's moved to OT.. OG haven't really been the elite linemen we all hope for.. look at Barrett Jones.. last yr he was considered a 1st rd LT if he'd have came out.. stayed moved to C now he's a 2nd rd prospect ???

To me he is still a 1st round talent but will fall out of the 1st. He will be a steal and be playing guard in the NFL

UniversalAuthor
SUG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
As for him replacing jake long he would be 7 years younger 10 million cheaper and a better fit scheme wise as he is a better athlete and already comes from a zone blocking offense.. Would he be worth it at 12 yet idk but maybe a trade back a few spots or by the time the process is done he might be..

Cha Ching !

Man if the kid is there at the top of rnd #2 I hope we go for it.
Let him & J. Martin duke it out & may the best man start.

Spend 2B - 3A & 3B on WRs & TEs for all I care.
If Tanney cant drop back & plant his feet Fitzgerald wouldn't add up to a "hill o beans" in this Offense.

sug
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to bump this thread up because I love him as a prospect and a player and he ripped it up today
SUG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this kid looked frickin awesome today!

sug
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking athletes at the OT position, Terron Armstead deserves a look as well.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
While we're talking athletes at the OT position, Terron Armstead deserves a look as well.
Yes Armstead is a guy I mentioned in mercs mock he is a good football player to just the leval of competion and strenght are his questions. Crazy how tthey both did this the same year
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armstead certainly was the talk of the Offensive Tackles with that unofficial 4.71 time in the 40. No doubt he went from one of my possible seventh round picks up to a possible fourth round pick.

I guess i'll have to cross off another person from my Dolphin seventh round options.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 11, Tackles 11 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 11 : Death 30 Joe 34

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: