You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FFMD 2013 Washington Redskins WAR ROOM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough cuts

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recap:

We started the off season of FFMD 2013 at around 6M over the cap. And due to some tough cuts and restructuring of some of the higher priced contracts, we were able to sign Fred Davis to a lucrative deal.

We were also able to fill a lot holes in free agency with some selective players and not going after a lot of high priced players.

We put in an offer on Louis Delmas, but thanks for some teams looking to over pay, that deal was offered to another team and We were able to save a good portion of our 14M in cap space. Without that rejection, we would have been in a bad position when the shark tank opened up.

But with that much cap room we were able to fill a lot of holes for about 6M in signings. Adding guys like Corey Lynch, Eben Britton, Gary Guyton, Kyle Arrington and Calvin Pace.

Because of some of these signings, our team needs switched from FS to WR. And I think that we took some teams by surprise by drafting a WR. But he was the best value on the board that made sense. With Moss and Morgan not on the roster, and Hankerson and Robinson not being real contributors as of yet, we needed another presence on the field next to Garcon. Who better than something that has worked with RGIII than Terrance Williams.

We still needed to address FS and after Vacarro and Thomas were off the board, we resorted to adding a SS that is ranked by Mike Mayock as a top 5 S, not just SS, but S in this years draft. A guy who was not even on our big board. Adding Shamarko Thomas was a big upgrade and having the ability to move Meriweather to FS and having Corey Lynch back him up, meant we had talent at the FS spot, but not the SS spot, till Shamarko Thomas was drafted.

Thomas ran a 4.40 40, had 28 reps and a 40" vertical. Huge numbers for a 5'8" S.

We then had to look at the front 7 and really look at the depth of our OLB's based on what happened last season with Orakpo and the emergence of Rob Jackson, while we were happy that Jackson got his due in the shark tank, adding Calvin Pace was not nearly enough. There was some debate on Corey Lemonier or Brandon Jenkins, the staff voted on Jenkins and it was immediately realized that we had a steal on our hands.

Then we continued to add good value with B.W. Webb. Also ranked by Mayock as a top 5 CB in the draft. He played for a small program but showed up during the Senior Bowl nad combine to be a primetime player. He will have some growing pains, but has 3 good CB's to learn under.

In the 5th round we had to look for depth and look to develop players in positions they may not be accustomed to. That was the case with Akeem Spence. A prototypical 3 technique, we think that he can bulk up and really play a 2, 1, or 0 technique NT. He was the best value there after missing out on Kwame Geathers.

For the last pick of the FFMD 2013 Draft for the Redskins was truly a developmental player with a lot of upside. Xavier Nixon has been up and down the boards and has had a slow decline, but to find him in the 5th to learn the RT spot under Britton and Strief will really help his skills and ability to potentially start down the road. But as a staff we felt the need to add an OL from the draft

Overall it was a great draft, good free agency and I think that we have gathered a great team. When you realize that you have some tough cuts to make, that means you like your depth and your starters and you have good quality players at other positions.

I started off the FFMD 2013 draft with a bad move. And I wish that I could take that back, I even tried to get that back based on the entire dstaff did not vote on it. Especially after the Mods had decided that our trade for DHall was not valid with the Dolphins after a mistaken cap number that scared the Dolphins away.

I did what I could but to no avail. Cousins was to become a Chief and they still drafted Geno Smith, signed Kevin Kolb, still had Ricki Stanzi and what they didnt understand was that they had their starter under their nose and they got him for fairly cheap in Kirk Cousins.

So I apologize for trading Cousins, but I think we more than made up for it in free agency and the draft.

All in all good job staff and I am glad that we were able to all come together and work this out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job mike23md and great summary

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, there is set to be an UDFA period. At least that is the word. So be prepared to look at some prospects, like a development QB, another WR maybe, or S.

Just start thinking about is as we look into this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
BTW, there is set to be an UDFA period. At least that is the word. So be prepared to look at some prospects, like a development QB, another WR maybe, or S.

Just start thinking about is as we look into this.
i already have some names

MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't we need to bid on someone with our 7th round pick?

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:

Yeah, but we have to come to a consensus on whom to bid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

E7

Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we go with the QB from Arizona. Scott, I think his name is. I assume he didn't get drafted yet.

Edit: He did get drafted. What other QBs are available? That's where I'd like to go with our last pick.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

E7
Do we need code names anymore?

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

E7
Do we need code names anymore?
josh Evans

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
I say we go with the QB from Arizona. Scott, I think his name is. I assume he didn't get drafted yet.

Edit: He did get drafted. What other QBs are available? That's where I'd like to go with our last pick.

Anyone know what qbs are available?

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nervemind. Qbs suck that are available.

What position do guys want?

I could see Rb, FS, we talked about William Campbell also

MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should just take Tharold Simon, CB, LSU. He gives us another body in the secondary and can probably transition to FS. He's one of the better secondary players still available.

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
We should just take Tharold Simon, CB, LSU. He gives us another body in the secondary and can probably transition to FS. He's one of the better secondary players still available.
i didn't even realize he wasn't taken. Yah, I'm down with that because we talked about taking him already

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 80 of 83

Jump to: