Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

arKnaD7's Post-Senior Bowl Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: arKnaD7's Post-Senior Bowl Mock Reply with quote

This is my first mock off-season ever. I plan on doing one after the combine and just before the draft or after any major trade/FA signing.

2013 Free Agents (bold = signed)

Devin Aromashodu
Joe Berger (1 year) - Knows the system, fights for a reserve spot in training camp
Jasper Brinkley
Jerome Felton (3 years)
Erin Henderson - I'd guess that one of the FA LBs signs a 1 year deal, I'd prefer Henderson if that happens
A.J. Jefferson (RFA, 1 year)
Troy Kropog (RFA, 1 year)
Phil Loadholt (4 years) - No reason to create another hole
Marvin Mitchell
Jamarca Sanford (3 years) - Solid reserve S and a good special teams guy
Geoff Schwartz - I'd guess he signs in Philadelphia or Cleveland
Andrew Sendejo (ERFA, 1 year)
Marcus Sherels (ERFA, 1 year)
Jerome Simpson - Maybe on a 1 year, minimum deal

QB Matt Moore (2 years) - Insert generic backup QB here
WR Brian Hartline (3 years) - Only if the price is right, no reason to overpay for a guy that won't be featured
WR Ramses Barden (1 year) - No risk, high reward signing, was buried on Giants' depth chart
DT Sammie Lee Hill (2 years) - Third year in a row looking for a run stuffer (Ayodele, Guion), I think Hill can be effective with Evans
LB Larry Grant (2 years) - Blocked by 2 of the best ILBs in the game, Grant was productive when filling in for an injury in 2011
CB Bradley Fletcher (1 year) - See a trend? Fletcher is a starting quality CB that got buried on the depth chart in St. Louis after they signed Finnegan and drafted Jenkins and Johnson

Percy Harvin Contract Extension
Everson Griffen Contract Extension
Jared Allen Contract Extension/Restructure
Kevin Williams Contract Restructure

Notable Cuts

WR Michael Jenkins - I don't see any way he gets the roster bonus he is due, maybe they restructure again?
DT Letroy Guion - failed as a NT, a rotational DT at best

2013 NFL Draft

- Minnesota trades Joe Webb for a 7th round pick
- Minnesota trades #23 overall to a QB needy team that didn't select one at the top of the 1st round, they receive a 2nd and 3rd round pick
- Minnesota trades their 5th round pick for a 6th and a 2014 6th

2 LB Arthur Brown, Kansas State

Short, not small. He would start from day 1 at WLB or MLB.

2 WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State

The deep threat this ofense needs. Not quite as explosive as Mike Wallace or DeSean Jackson, but is much more polished coming out of college.

3 OL Menelik Watson, Florida State

Came to America, from England, as a basketball player. He is raw and older (25 I believe), but is super agressive as a blocker, something this coachig staff seems to covet.

3 DT Bennie Logan, LSU

An early entry who could have been a 1st rounder had he stayed one more year.

4 CB Leon McFadden, San Diego State

McFadden has questionable long speed, but could excel in a zone heavy scheme. In the same mold as Casey Hayward from last year.

4 LB DeVonte Holloman, South Carolina

A former safety that bulked up to play LB. I like him a lot as a WLB.

6 S Dexter McCoil, Tulsa

Has the size (6' 4", 220 lbs) and production (18 career INTs, 25 PBUs) you want. If he tests well at the combine he will be a late riser.

7 DE Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky

Always tough to project injured players (Smith tore his ACL in November), but Smith has high upside as a pass rusher.

7 RB Dennis Johnson, Arkansas

A receiver and returner out of the backfield in college. That would be his role in the NFL.

7 WR Darrin Moore, Texas Tech

A big bodied WR that catches the ball with his hands. Questionable speed, but excels at winning jump balls.

2013 Roster (red = rookie, blue = new FA)

QB: Ponder | Moore | Bethel-Thompson
RB: Peterson | Gerhart | Asiata or Johnson
FB: Felton
WR: Harvin | Wheaton | Hartline | Wright | 2 of: Barden, Burton, Childs, Moore
TE: Rudolph | Ellison | Carlson
OT: Kalil | Loadholt | Love
OG: Watson | Fusco | Johnson
OC: Sullivan | Berger or Kropog

DE: Allen | Robison | Griffen | Reed | Smith (PUP/IR)
DT: Williams | Logan | Ballard
NT: Evans | Hill
OLB: Greenway | Brown | Holloman | McKenzie
MLB: Grant | Cole
CB: Cook | Winfield | Robinson | Fletcher | McFadden | Jefferson
S: Smith | Raymond | Sanford | Blanton | McCoil

ST: Walsh | Kluwe | Loeffler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should bring back one of Brinkley or Henderson, preferably the former, and I doubt Matt Moore would come in to be a backup. However, I love the Hartline, Grant, and Hill signings plus Brown and Logan, I'd be pretty happy with this offseason. Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbroy45 wrote:
I think we should bring back one of Brinkley or Henderson, preferably the former, and I doubt Matt Moore would come in to be a backup. However, I love the Hartline, Grant, and Hill signings plus Brown and Logan, I'd be pretty happy with this offseason. Well done!

I agree about the LBs. I had Henderson re-signing on a 1 year deal and changed it last minute to keep young Audie Cole and McKenzie, a core special teams guy.

I'd guess Spielman will put a similar offer on the table to both and whoever accepts first is the guy they keep.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbroy45 wrote:
I think we should bring back one of Brinkley or Henderson,

Why?

Quote:
preferably the former,

Double why? Of the two, Henderson was the better player (still bad but better).
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brinkley was in his first year as a starter and would likely be the cheaper option to retain considering he plays 15? 20 plays at most a game.

You said it yourself, Henderson wasn't good this year either, but he's going to cost more.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Brinkley was in his first year as a starter and would likely be the cheaper option to retain considering he plays 15? 20 plays at most a game.

You said it yourself, Henderson wasn't good this year either, but he's going to cost more.

I agree, take the cheaper option to be a 15-20 snap per game player and draft a 3 down LB, whether that be a WLB/nickel MLB or a 3 down MLB.

I dont see any reason to bring back both players if we need to upgrade both positions in the long term anyway. Reality is, the Vikings wont have the resources this offseason to add long-term solutions at MLB and WLB considering all the needs the Vikings have. But we can hope that at least one of the spots can be filled with a three down starter. That would be my goal in addressing the LB positions.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
Robbroy45 wrote:
I think we should bring back one of Brinkley or Henderson,

Why?

Quote:
preferably the former,

Double why? Of the two, Henderson was the better player (still bad but better).

I wouldnt say Henderson is the better player. Brinkley and Henderson are good vs the run but Brinkley has the upper hand coverage wise. Henderson is lost out there. Also Brinkley will come cheaper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Henderson is still living on his past seasons, which were just flashes of potential anyway.

I can see some LB-desperate team giving him a 2-3 year deal... hoping a "change of scenery" will turn him into a starting caliber LB.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
Nzd07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the mock, I love it except for Wheaton. I'd rather get a bigger #1 reciever like Hunter or Patton with that pick. Those Free agent pickups would be ideal, and I love Brown as a prospect.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hit on first rounders. even ones around 23. we miss on second rounders. take loadholdt, (please) he gave up 10 sacks last year, had his usual record number of penalties and gave up a huge number of hurries. He's a bust. No idea why most seem enamored of the run blocking. he's fine at it when not getting a 15 yard PA foul, but 10 sacks? we don't pass that often. But, it's loadholdt's usual output of sacks, hurries & stupid penalties. Sorry, got carried away there.

anyway, why not give our 2nd & 3rd for a second late first? Two great players is better than 3 mediocre. or trade them all for round 4 picks, lol, spielman does ok there, too.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

I really don't see the point in bringing back either. The argument that we should retain Brinkley because he'll be cheaper isn't especially compelling to me because the reason Brinkley will be cheaper is because he's terrible.

Edit:

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

Brinkley and Henderson are good vs the run but Brinkley has the upper hand coverage wise.

Shocked

No. There's a reason that Henderson was the Nickle MLB towards the end of the season. There might not be a worse coverage LB in the league than Brinkley.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the love for Brian Hartline?

We desperately need a #1 WR, and he's never shown that. He best fits as a #2.

Not sure how I feel about this mock. I think it helps in the long run, but provides little immediate help, which, yes, we still need.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:
anyway, why not give our 2nd & 3rd for a second late first? Two great players is better than 3 mediocre. or trade them all for round 4 picks, lol, spielman does ok there, too.

I don't like the value of the guys projected to be available at 23 and think there is good depth in the 2nd and 3rd round this year, especially at WR and DT.

SteelKing728 wrote:
Whats the love for Brian Hartline?

We desperately need a #1 WR, and he's never shown that. He best fits as a #2.

Not sure how I feel about this mock. I think it helps in the long run, but provides little immediate help, which, yes, we still need.

I consider Harvin a #1 WR. If you project his stats out for 16 games, he would have finished with 120 catches, 1334 yards, and 6 TDs. With Harvin and Rudolph as the primary weapons, Wheaton as a deep threat, I think Hartline would be fine as a complementary piece in the passing game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: