Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Spencer in contract talk with Boy's (preliminary)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5356
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
So Spencer has had 1 good year? Y'all truly believe that? 4 sacks is the difference between his career year and the rest of his seasons


No I believe he had 2 really good years, and 4 very mediocre years. In addition to this year, I thought he got a lot of qb pressure throughout all of 2009. I disagree with those who say he only played well, when he was getting sacks at the end of that year.

If he wants to do us a solid, and sign at a Ahmad Brooks average around 6mil per year, I wouldn't be terribly upset with that, but like every normal human in his position, he's gonna get as much cash as he can. I think he will be looking for a large amount of guaranteed money. I can see Indianapolis offering him a big contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44679
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 - 13 QBH, 14 TFL, 2 FF, 11 Sacks
2011 - 15 QBH, 12 TFL, 4 FF, 6 Sacks
2010 - 7 QBH, 5 TFL, 2 FF, 5 Sacks
2009 - 22 QBH, 13 TFL, 2 FF, 6 Sacks

In the 4 years he's started, he's only had 1 bad season (2010) - he's had 3 very good seasons. And saying he's only had 1 Pro Bowl in 6 years is asinine when he was backing up Ellis the first 2 years and the Pro Bowl is a joke anyway. In 2009 he was tied for the NFL lead with Ware for QB Hits and several times in the last 4 years he's had more Pressures+Hits+Sacks than guys who won Pro Bowls and All-Pros.

And that's just his pass rushing (which he does less often than Ware) - when his biggest strengths have been his run defense and coverage abilities. I think you put Spencer at SAM in a Von Miller role and you will have a fantastic Football Player.
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cowboyfanin2890


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 389
Location: Hayesville NC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with trying to resign Spencer is simple capology. To have the money to resign Spencer we will have to restructure Romo, if we restructure Romo then that means we are going to stick with him for 3 more years(at the least). If you are saying he is your QB for 3 more years then you have to put an o-line in front of him which means we cannot resign Spencer. Can you imagine our cap in 3 years when we would have Romo at 10+ milion, Carr at 8+, Ware and Spencer at 8+ each, Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter,Sean Lee, Morris Claiborne, and Demarco Murray all either getting deals or nearing deals.

Spencer was good while here but his strengths are defending the pass and holding the edge as a 3-4 backer.One of these is what not what a 4-3 end is asked to do(hold the edge yes). So we are taking half of his strengths away. It makes more sense to sign a veteran like Freeney or Osi and try to develop a guy to work on the other side of Ware.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44679
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboyfanin2890 wrote:
The problem with trying to resign Spencer is simple capology. To have the money to resign Spencer we will have to restructure Romo, if we restructure Romo then that means we are going to stick with him for 3 more years(at the least). If you are saying he is your QB for 3 more years then you have to put an o-line in front of him which means we cannot resign Spencer. Can you imagine our cap in 3 years when we would have Romo at 10+ milion, Carr at 8+, Ware and Spencer at 8+ each, Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter,Sean Lee, Morris Claiborne, and Demarco Murray all either getting deals or nearing deals.

Spencer was good while here but his strengths are defending the pass and holding the edge as a 3-4 backer.One of these is what not what a 4-3 end is asked to do(hold the edge yes). So we are taking half of his strengths away. It makes more sense to sign a veteran like Freeney or Osi and try to develop a guy to work on the other side of Ware.


Again - Cap won't be why Spencer doesn't return b/c he'll only hit us for $3-5m in 2013 and in 2014 the new TV deal goes into place and the salary cap will rise significantly.
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 9709
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be shocked if Spencer were to sign a Brooks type contract. I simply don't see it happening. Should that happen and Dallas was still running a 34 defense, I might be inclined to go it. But, as it is, I fully expect Spencer to want a Lamar Woodley type deal.
_________________

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Captain Zapp


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 261
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:

It's similar in the fact that Rat was about the same age as Spencer when he signed the extension. quote]


Im sorry but this has to be some of the worst logic I have ever seen. By this train of though, why doesnt the team just draft a quarterback that is the same age as Andrew Luck was when he was drafted last year?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Zapp wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

It's similar in the fact that Rat was about the same age as Spencer when he signed the extension. quote]


Im sorry but this has to be some of the worst logic I have ever seen. By this train of though, why doesnt the team just draft a quarterback that is the same age as Andrew Luck was when he was drafted last year?


HUH ?

Spencer is on the backside of his career and we would again be stuck with a big contract that would cause more cap problems. How does that compare to drafting a qb in his early 20's ? When we FINALLY do draft a qb I hope like heck he is only about 21-22 years old. I just don't see the comparison at all.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44679
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Captain Zapp wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

It's similar in the fact that Rat was about the same age as Spencer when he signed the extension. quote]


Im sorry but this has to be some of the worst logic I have ever seen. By this train of though, why doesnt the team just draft a quarterback that is the same age as Andrew Luck was when he was drafted last year?


HUH ?

Spencer is on the backside of his career and we would again be stuck with a big contract that would cause more cap problems. How does that compare to drafting a qb in his early 20's ? When we FINALLY do draft a qb I hope like heck he is only about 21-22 years old. I just don't see the comparison at all.


Backside of his career? He's only had 4 years as a starter - do you really think he'll retire before he's 34?
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Zapp


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 261
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Captain Zapp wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

It's similar in the fact that Rat was about the same age as Spencer when he signed the extension. quote]


Im sorry but this has to be some of the worst logic I have ever seen. By this train of though, why doesnt the team just draft a quarterback that is the same age as Andrew Luck was when he was drafted last year?


HUH ?

Spencer is on the backside of his career and we would again be stuck with a big contract that would cause more cap problems. How does that compare to drafting a qb in his early 20's ? When we FINALLY do draft a qb I hope like heck he is only about 21-22 years old. I just don't see the comparison at all.


Im not sure how you didnt follow the first time but let me help you out. I said the Ratliff situation doesnt compare to the Spencer situation at all. You said it did because, im paraphrasing here, they were around the same age. I then said then made an equally absurd statement. You were befuddled. Now you undersand where I was coming from from the start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Zapp


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 261
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I am not saying "screw it, give Anthony the money he wants". If he truly is holding out for D Ware money then sayonara. But if the team feels confident Spencer is the solution at DE opposite Ware then they should at least play hard ball with him on a contract, then potentially tag him and either keep him one more year or push hard for a trade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 3264
Location: J.J. Wilcox fan club headquarters
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could Spencer play SOLB? All I hear is him playing DE. Carter, Lee, and Spencer would be a nice 4-3 LB crew IMO.
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44679
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Could Spencer play SOLB? All I hear is him playing DE. Carter, Lee, and Spencer would be a nice 4-3 LB crew IMO.


I think he could and have advocated it but some think he's too slow based on a 40 he ran 6yrs ago
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Zapp wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Captain Zapp wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

It's similar in the fact that Rat was about the same age as Spencer when he signed the extension. quote]


Im sorry but this has to be some of the worst logic I have ever seen. By this train of though, why doesnt the team just draft a quarterback that is the same age as Andrew Luck was when he was drafted last year?


HUH ?

Spencer is on the backside of his career and we would again be stuck with a big contract that would cause more cap problems. How does that compare to drafting a qb in his early 20's ? When we FINALLY do draft a qb I hope like heck he is only about 21-22 years old. I just don't see the comparison at all.


Im not sure how you didnt follow the first time but let me help you out. I said the Ratliff situation doesnt compare to the Spencer situation at all. You said it did because, im paraphrasing here, they were around the same age. I then said then made an equally absurd statement. You were befuddled. Now you undersand where I was coming from from the start.


Spencer and Rat do compare....Rat signs contract extension , body breaks down as he get's older. Huge hit on the cap to release. Spencer is an older player. This will most likely be his last contract. He will want huge money. Why put yourself in a position to be stuck with him or have to take a huge cap hit ?

Surely that was simple enough for you to follow , no ?
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dboys88-82


Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 1761
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO we shouldnt re-sign spencer. If he plays at the level he did last season we may have a couple years where he is earning the money we are paying him, but towards the end of his contract it is very likely that many fans on here will be calling for his release because he is overpaid for what he is giving back in production.

It will just end up being another bad contract or "dead money" that we will be waiting to get off the books. We have seen too many of these in the past. I used to hate "almost anthony", but believe me I do recognize him as a good player after this season...he just wont be worth it in the end in my opinion. Especially considering the cap situation that we are in currently. I would rather sign some cheaper "competition guys". Some guys that we find for a bargain and might just win a starting spot and thrive on this team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
textaz03


Moderator
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 11192
Location: Land of the Jersey Devil!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and looked at the size of the 2 starting DE's for Tampa from 2002 - 2007

DE Greg Spires 6-1 265lbs
DE Simeon Rice 6-5 268lbs
DE Gaines Adams 6-5 258lbs

compared to Ware and Spencer

DE Spencer 6-3 250lbs
DE Ware 6-4 254lbs

So looking at the players that Kiffen likes for his DE, Spencer can play the part. Him and Ware will each have to pack on a few pounds of muscle (at most 15), they both have the frame for it.

Now, if your worried about Spencer being on the down side of his career, then I guess Ware is as well?? You know, since Ware is a year older. Spencer doesn't have the wear and tear of a 6 year player since he sat behind Ellis for 2 years. So to say that he is in decline is just dumb. I would say, that he is coming into his prime (or 1 year into it).

If your worried about that 2010 season when it came out that he quit on plays or took plays off, well, the whole team quit that year! He had the guts to say he did it.

If your worried about sack totals, then, you have to look beyond sacks! Just like MH stated earlier, sacks dont tell the whole story. Spencer has been asked to do a hell of alot more dropping back into coverage than most OLB's. I would like to see his total numbers of coverage plays compared to his rush plays.
_________________




"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group