Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Spencer in contract talk with Boy's (preliminary)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the lone star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to keep Sims for depth too. He was solid as a ILB for us in the 3-4, but moving to the 4-3 should be good for him, as I see the OLB spot in that base set as his natural position. The Bucs had some very fast LBs during the Kiffin days, and Sims certainly fits the bill there.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
I'd like to keep Sims for depth too. He was solid as a ILB for us in the 3-4, but moving to the 4-3 should be good for him, as I see the OLB spot in that base set as his natural position. The Bucs had some very fast LBs during the Kiffin days, and Sims certainly fits the bill there.

I agree with this. I see Sims in the WOLB role. Should Lee go down, I expect Carter to slide to MLB and Sims to man the WOLB spot. But for now, spot rotational duty would be best for him.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. He's older and we need to let him walk. This smacks of desperation. Too much restructuring to get a deal like his done....just build through the draft.

Why won't we do that? Because building through the draft is the responsible thing to do. Plus, it undermines Jerry's favorite word: "continuity".
if Spencer grades out better than what's in the draft, then why wouldn't we re-sign him? You take the best player available right?

Because the potential contract size for an average player who had one great season - in a contract year - is not "taking the best player available". That's the lazy man's way of doing business and proves that the team can't or won't due the proper amount of research to efficiently find a replacement.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
I would let him walk. He has only made ONE pro bowl appearance in his 4 years here. WOW.

Try 6 years in Dallas, not four. That's even worse.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. He's older and we need to let him walk. This smacks of desperation. Too much restructuring to get a deal like his done....just build through the draft.

Why won't we do that? Because building through the draft is the responsible thing to do. Plus, it undermines Jerry's favorite word: "continuity".

Who is to say we resign Spencer the go into the draft and get the eventual starter to Ware? The great thing to do is to cover yourself when it comes to needs, so when you are in the war room on draft day you are not worried about filling a need.

Then I would rather franchise him at 10.2mil for one year, than give him a contract that would avg only 2mil less over a 5 year period. Not enough consistency from him to warrant a premium contract.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
atran35 wrote:
I would let him walk. He has only made ONE pro bowl appearance in his 4 years here. WOW.

Try 6 years in Dallas, not four. That's even worse.

We can't really count Pro Bowl. It's a popularity contest.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Zapp wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Captain Zapp wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I would rather not re-sign Spencer...but we did draft him so..he is a home grown talent.

Thank you! Do all these people screaming to build through the draft not remember the team drafted Spencer? He is part of the structure being built through the draft. I dont recall this being shouted from every which direction about Carr last year. I swear some of these people are just never happy with anything.

Zapp part of that is on Spencer. He has admitted to not always playing hard. He hasn't had but one pro bowl type season. And do you want a Rat situation on your hands in a couple of years ? How many times does our gm extend a player who has one good season and it turns into a total disaster ?

Well...Lets see:

Marion Barber
Ken Hamlin
Miles Austin
Doug Free
Orlando Scandrick

Fat contracts based on one year of performance where we overvalued the "bird in the hand".

Well first off no where in my post do I argue for signing Anthony Spencer to a long term contract. But I will say if you think Spencer has only played good for one year you havent been paying attention. I was merely laughing at how people look for any excuse to complain. Even if their argument is completely bass ackward.

Quote:
I don't think it's complaining not wanting the owner to make the same mistake over n over.

Also the Jay Ratliff situation is an entirely differnet story all together and I really dont see how JJ tearing up the best contract he had signed in years just to voluntarily turn around and sign that player to one of the worst has anything to do with this topic. Unless your just wanting to stir up a JJ sucks debate. In which case Ill have to pass as im worn out on that one.

Quote:
It's similar in the fact that Rat was about the same age as Spencer when he signed the extension. Rat's skills are eroding as well as his health.

For the number of fans on here who are smarter than JJ and Redball you would think Cowboys would stop paying top dollar for all these slobs who have been doing it their whole life, but apparently really dont know anything, and just give some joe off the street a ball cap and stick him on the sideline. Should be easy enough.

Quote:
Infootball terms I dare you to defend JJ as being smart. He is a smart business man. He flat out sucks at building a team. He flat out sucks at hiring coaches. He is stubborn and stupid at times with his moves. There is no defending the guy as gm.

Its easy to criticize, not so easy to create.

DallasPride28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in cap hell as it is. I don't see us having enough firepower anyway to pull it off. We need to restructure just to get under the cap let alone free up money for Spencer's who in my mind doesn't deserve it after a season of success in a contract year.

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DallasPride28 wrote:
We are in cap hell as it is. I don't see us having enough firepower anyway to pull it off. We need to restructure just to get under the cap let alone free up money for Spencer's who in my mind doesn't deserve it after a season of success in a contract year.

x2.

If we are going to extend Romo, then IMO loading up the O-line to maximize our effectiveness on offense should be the priority. Let Monte and Rod work with the scouts and find some guys in the draft, they feel they can work with. Also, I'd like to hear their opinions on Crawford, and Albright, and whether they could man the other DE positon. After the rookie cap was instituted, you have to be getting those guys on the field soon. For example, Melvin Ingram was drafted with the #18 pick last year. His contract averages 2mil for 4 years. Spencer will average most likely 8 mil per year for at least 4 years, with a good amount of guaranteed money. We can have 3 prospects for that price. For that price, the player needs to have DWare production. This is why I believe moving down from #18 should be a priority. Draft picks are gold, even though Jerry tends to tarnish them.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
DallasPride28 wrote:

x2.

If we are going to extend Romo, then IMO loading up the O-line to maximize our effectiveness on offense should be the priority. Let Monte and Rod work with the scouts and find some guys in the draft, they feel they can work with. Also, I'd like to hear their opinions on Crawford, and Albright, and whether they could man the other DE positon. After the rookie cap was instituted, you have to be getting those guys on the field soon. For example, Melvin Ingram was drafted with the #18 pick last year. His contract averages 2mil for 4 years. Spencer will average most likely 8 mil per year for at least 4 years, with a good amount of guaranteed money. We can have 3 prospects for that price. For that price, the player needs to have DWare production. This is why I believe moving down from #18 should be a priority. Draft picks are gold, even though Jerry tends to tarnish them.

I am on board. We have been hooped in the past giving out long term contracts. One of the keys to managing and staying competitive in the salary cap era is to learn when to walk away from players. As you state I would like to beef up the o line. If we have to let Spencer walk to do that so be it. He was great this year, but he has also admitted to taking plays off in the past. That's a big red flag for me when it comes to extending him.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DallasPride28 wrote:

Spencer's cap hit in year 1 would likely be in the $3-4m range so not seeing how it'd be that hard to resign him and stay under the cap.

Sig courtesy of mack.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather use any money that Spencer may get on a player like Henry Melton or Michael Bennett.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
I'd rather use any money that Spencer may get on a player like Henry Melton or Michael Bennett.

Exactly.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Spencer has had 1 good year? Y'all truly believe that? 4 sacks is the difference between his career year and the rest of his seasons

Sig courtesy of mack.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
So Spencer has had 1 good year? Y'all truly believe that? 4 sacks is the difference between his career year and the rest of his seasons

MH for me it's not a question of Spencer's production or what his cap hit is going to be next year. It's what philosophy or direction are we taking as an organization? I don't want to extend him to a multi year deal because we will end up paying a guy top tier dollars for what will ultimately be declining production. I think we have to walk away. It's a gamble for sure but look at the contracts we have committed to in the past as others have highlighted - Barber, Hamlin, Free, Austin. We would all like a do over on those. Spencer has been a very good 3-4 OLB but I think we have to cut ties.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: