Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Spencer in contract talk with Boy's (preliminary)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Spencer in contract talk with Boy's (preliminary) Reply with quote

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705195/a-pro-bowl-first-cowboy-last-for-anthony-spencer

Quote:
Spencer is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in March. However, the Cowboys and his agent, Jordan Woy, have had preliminary talks in recent weeks and both sides are hopeful a deal can be worked out.

I know many of you don't like the idea of keeping Spencer around. Me personally, I think it's a good idea to do so. I think he will be a very good DE for us. He is highly underated by some of you. A long term contract will help with his CAP numbers.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. He's older and we need to let him walk. This smacks of desperation. Too much restructuring to get a deal like his done....just build through the draft.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. He's older and we need to let him walk. This smacks of desperation. Too much restructuring to get a deal like his done....just build through the draft.

Why won't we do that? Because building through the draft is the responsible thing to do. Plus, it undermines Jerry's favorite word: "continuity".

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
JWingate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

Why won't we do that? Because building through the draft is the responsible thing to do. Plus, it undermines Jerry's favorite word: "continuity".

Who is to say we resign Spencer the go into the draft and get the eventual starter to Ware? The great thing to do is to cover yourself when it comes to needs, so when you are in the war room on draft day you are not worried about filling a need.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

if Spencer grades out better than what's in the draft, then why wouldn't we re-sign him? You take the best player available right?

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Spencer is a very good player and underrated as well. But I do see him as the best fit in a 3-4, and I doubt that we will get the value for our money in the 4-3 since I doubt that he will grant us any kind of discount. I still have a hard time believing he won't end up testing FA..

- If we have the money to re-sign Spencer, I would rather look at options as Freeney, Melton, Umenyiora or Jairus Byrd. They all should come cheaper, and make it more easy for us cap wise in the future.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

Who is to say we resign Spencer the go into the draft and get the eventual starter to Ware? The great thing to do is to cover yourself when it comes to needs, so when you are in the war room on draft day you are not worried about filling a need.

Which means restructuring and stuck with un cuttable contracts. When will we ever learn ?
Bailey134

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

We drafted Spencer to wait till his prime just to let him walk? He was our best player on defence last year I dont think a rookievcan fill his shoes.

Made by BigBadLion20

Favorite Teams
NFL- Dallas Cowboys
NCAA- Ohio State
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Yankees
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather not re-sign Spencer...but we did draft him so..he is a home grown talent.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that is move on from Spencer. He was great this year but that was all done for the money. He hasn't showed this kind of ability before this which leads me to believe that he's not dedicated and lazy. Who's to say that we sign him and he reverts back to the underachieving player we all know from years past? I just believe his play is due to the fact he wants his money and that's it.

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey134 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

We drafted Spencer to wait till his prime just to let him walk? He was our best player on defence last year I dont think a rookievcan fill his shoes.

Also if it means us overpaying for a guy whos strengths won't be utilized in our scheme?

- Remember, the price of Spencer really thrives up because he is great in pass coverage and setting the edge as a standing DE/OLB, while being a good passrusher. We would pay for a player, without utilizing atleast one of his strengths.

If we put him at DE, we wouldn't use his ability to drop back which really sets him apart from other pass rushers, we would also not be sure on how well he would do against the run on every down basis. 250 lbs are not much for a DE to hold up with.

If we put him at SOLB, I think that we to rarely would have a chance at going after the QB. Also, I think we look set at LB'er, or atleast to comfortable to pay big bucks for Spencer.
Captain Zapp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I would rather not re-sign Spencer...but we did draft him so..he is a home grown talent.

Thank you! Do all these people screaming to build through the draft not remember the team drafted Spencer? He is part of the structure being built through the draft. I dont recall this being shouted from every which direction about Carr last year. I swear some of these people are just never happy with anything.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Zapp wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Thank you! Do all these people screaming to build through the draft not remember the team drafted Spencer? He is part of the structure being built through the draft. I dont recall this being shouted from every which direction about Carr last year. I swear some of these people are just never happy with anything.

Cant resign everyone you draft.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Captain Zapp wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Cant resign everyone you draft.

True. But you also need to retain some talent for an extended period of time. Not saying Spencer is the answer ( I don't think he is ) but it's not like he is some random FA we are looking to sign.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because we are talking doesn't mean we will re-sign him.

^^^Deadpulse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: