Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Q.B. this year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrownieTheElf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said I wanted Alex Smith a while back and still do. Sign him to a 2 year deal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
Adam Caplin added a couple q.b's we may go after besides Alex Smith. Brian Hoyer and Chase Daniels. Yhoughts?

Personally...I pass on all three. Loved Alex Smith coming into the league, not so much anymore. I think Weeden would beat all of those guys in camp and make the signing somewhat moot.

It appeared Weeden did struggle with decision making and reads (between the ears stuff) but that is most rookie QB's. That certainly can improve, moreso than limited physical abilities, you either have an arm or you do not. Colt doesn't, if he was accurate and a good decision maker, yeah you don't need the strong arm. Colts is neither, and he isn't very ballsy either, which is why he checked down so much and his int % wasn't that bad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
Adam Caplin added a couple q.b's we may go after besides Alex Smith. Brian Hoyer and Chase Daniels. Yhoughts?

Personally...I pass on all three. Loved Alex Smith coming into the league, not so much anymore. I think Weeden would beat all of those guys in camp and make the signing somewhat moot.

It appeared Weeden did struggle with decision making and reads (between the ears stuff) but that is most rookie QB's. That certainly can improve, moreso than limited physical abilities, you either have an arm or you do not. Colt doesn't, if he was accurate and a good decision maker, yeah you don't need the strong arm. Colts is neither, and he isn't very ballsy either, which is why he checked down so much and his int % wasn't that bad.

I'm with you on giving Weeden another year. Q.B. class next year looks better if our q.b. can't get the job done. However we will bring in another q.b. this year. Daniels and Hoyer would cost less than A. Smith. Both money wise and we might even have to give up a pick for Smith.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
StewieRules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what's available at QB, I really don't see how Weeden doesn't get another year. The pro's say the biggest jump a QB makes is between rookie and 2nd year, and I think it's safe to say that the WCO was not Weeden's cup of tea. He had some bad games, no doubt - but he had some good ones too, very good - and like someone else posted, you can't teach arm - either you have it or you don't.

What I don't get is the Smith love - this guy was sub-par before Harbaugh got to SF, and even though statistically he had a very good year in 2011 and a good one in '12 before being hurt, Harbaugh still went with Kaepernick. Given where SF was that was a ballzy call, and the correct one - they made it to the show. Smith is missing something, he generates no excitement, he's a manager at best - why would bringing him here (to run a vertical attack no less) be an improvement? I'd rather see us go after someone like Moore - not a great arm but stronger than McCoy's, wouldn't cost near as much as Smith and could bring some competition to camp without the threat of a constant QB controversy. Competition is a good thing, but constantly looking over your shoulder - not so much. It'll be interesting to see what Chud does.
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it won't be Vick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/11/michael-vick-eagles-agree-on-one-year-deal/

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, 49er fan here. I'm just wondering why some here would want Smith on your team. I mean the guy is ok but don't you want more out of the QB position?

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Productiondawg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Hey guys, 49er fan here. I'm just wondering why some here would want Smith on your team. I mean the guy is ok but don't you want more out of the QB position?

Personally I do want more out of the position. I think most of us view who ever we get this year (unless it's Flacco or a 1st round pick) as a stop gap, competition, or developmental QB. I'd put Smith in the stop gap category.

Season tickets, section 315, since 06
See you in the Muni with the Tailgate DJs
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productiondawg wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Personally I do want more out of the position. I think most of us view who ever we get this year (unless it's Flacco or a 1st round pick) as a stop gap, competition, or developmental QB. I'd put Smith in the stop gap category.
yeah I'd say he's a stop gap but if I were you guys I'd rather see Weeden get another crack at starting next year before you end it with him. Smith and Weeden are pretty even to me. There's no real upgrade IMO.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
3HeadedMonster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Productiondawg wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

yeah I'd say he's a stop gap but if I were you guys I'd rather see Weeden get another crack at starting next year before you end it with him. Smith and Weeden are pretty even to me. There's no real upgrade IMO.
I agree 100%! Alex Smith is NOT the answer. I don't understand why so many are saying we HAVE to get another QB next year. We JUST invested a 1st round draft pick on an unproven QB, last year. Weeds has played 1 season, for the wrong coach, in the wrong system. Give the guy a fair chance to either fail or succeed!! We have SO many other holes to fill. If we waste even a single $ in FA or draft pick on a QB, this year, I'm going to pull an Elvis and shoot my tv!! Let Norv & Chud work w/ Weeds, to improve his technique, and let's focus on filling our other gaping holes i.e. CB, LBs, TE, etc. just my $0.02...pass the Tylenol.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3HeadedMonster wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Productiondawg wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

I agree 100%! Alex Smith is NOT the answer. I don't understand why so many are saying we HAVE to get another QB next year. We JUST invested a 1st round draft pick on an unproven QB, last year. Weeds has played 1 season, for the wrong coach, in the wrong system. Give the guy a fair chance to either fail or succeed!! We have SO many other holes to fill. If we waste even a single $ in FA or draft pick on a QB, this year, I'm going to pull an Elvis and shoot my tv!! Let Norv & Chud work w/ Weeds, to improve his technique, and let's focus on filling our other gaping holes i.e. CB, LBs, TE, etc. just my $0.02...pass the Tylenol.

people are impatient...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chud likes his verticall attack, yet somehow every QB being linked to us except Mallett has a pop gun arm.

SAY NO TO ALEX SMITH

The only QB worth a crap this offseason is Joe Flacco and it would cost us 2 first and I doubt Baltimore would let it come to that anyway. If you don't have an elite QB you don't have a QB period. So, tell me WTF is the GD point in bringing in another QB?

Wasting cap space or burning high picks to get this years crap QBs is going to set us back yet again. We would be better off waiting until next year. I understand it seems the fans always say wait until next year for a QB, but has there ever been a more pathetic crop of QBs? Oh and this is not normally my beliefs. I was a big Ryan Tannehill guy as well as Jay Cutler some years back. I am not against drafting a QB in the 1st I am against drafting a QB in the 1st this season actually make that anywhere in the Top 100 this year.

Jamison on the sig
bruceb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3HeadedMonster wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Productiondawg wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

I think that more importantly than what any of us think, based on reports and rumors the new regime does not think Weeden is the answer. I agree.

A younger than Weeden Alex Smith with his performance over the last two years would be a major upgrade over Weeden, and I would get him in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay too dearly for him.
Entropy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
3HeadedMonster wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Productiondawg wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

I think that more importantly than what any of us think, based on reports and rumors the new regime does not think Weeden is the answer. I agree.

A younger than Weeden Alex Smith with his performance over the last two years would be a major upgrade over Weeden, and I would get him in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay too dearly for him.

Yes, clearly Smith is a "major" upgrade over Weeden. This is exactly why you're not the only one saying it. I mean, the guy who collects aluminum cans from dumpsters outside my office was saying it too, that's everyone, right?

And Smith's performance in his first 5 years in the NFL, where he didn't win games and lost them instead, should be ignored completely since it doesn't suit everyone's point at all that he's a "major" upgrade.

If we select to look at Smith's 6th and 7th years in the NFL (why would we look at anything else?), you know when he was playing so well he was benched in favor of a guy that had almost no experience, his performance had absolutely nothing to do with playing on a team with the #2 scoring defense in the NFL. So it was merely an unrelated coincidence that his team won over twice as many games when the defense improved.

I mean, Alex Smith won 19 games over the past 2 years. He's the reason the defense played well in the first place. His play was so good that other teams couldn't score on the 49ers. If fact, he only had to throw for 29 yards a game less than Weeden and .13 (point one three) TDs more a game to win 13 games in 2011. That's just how much of a "major" upgrade he is. There's just no question that defenses, who don't even count in the first place since all games are played exclusively by the QB, could do nothing to stop Smith from outperforming Weeden's rookie year while he was in his 6th year.

That's pretty unusual that a 6th year QB does better than a rookie in the first place. I mean, just because Weeden blew Smith's rookie year out of the water means nothing, all you have to do is ignore it.

LALALALALA-see?
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:
3HeadedMonster wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Productiondawg wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Yes, clearly Smith is a "major" upgrade over Weeden. This is exactly why you're not the only one saying it. I mean, the guy who collects aluminum cans from dumpsters outside my office was saying it too, that's everyone, right?

And Smith's performance in his first 5 years in the NFL, where he didn't win games and lost them instead, should be ignored completely since it doesn't suit everyone's point at all that he's a "major" upgrade.

If we select to look at Smith's 6th and 7th years in the NFL (why would we look at anything else?), you know when he was playing so well he was benched in favor of a guy that had almost no experience, his performance had absolutely nothing to do with playing on a team with the #2 scoring defense in the NFL. So it was merely an unrelated coincidence that his team won over twice as many games when the defense improved.

I mean, Alex Smith won 19 games over the past 2 years. He's the reason the defense played well in the first place. His play was so good that other teams couldn't score on the 49ers. If fact, he only had to throw for 29 yards a game less than Weeden and .13 (point one three) TDs more a game to win 13 games in 2011. That's just how much of a "major" upgrade he is. There's just no question that defenses, who don't even count in the first place since all games are played exclusively by the QB, could do nothing to stop Smith from outperforming Weeden's rookie year while he was in his 6th year.

That's pretty unusual that a 6th year QB does better than a rookie in the first place. I mean, just because Weeden blew Smith's rookie year out of the water means nothing, all you have to do is ignore it.

LALALALALA-see?
Very Happy

+1
I looked up the stats for his first 3 years wow, but hey just move along people these are not the posts you are looking for

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Browns draft a QB this year, I think I'd want that QB to be Zac Dysert. He's drawn comparisons to Big Ben and not just because both played at Miami. He's got a very strong arm, quick release and can run. Since Haslam used to be a minority owner of the Steelers, it would make sense that he would like a QB in the same mold as Roethlisberger.

If Dysert's available in the third round or later, would you guys be interested?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: