Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Starting Quarterback For 2013: John Skelton?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: The Starting Quarterback For 2013: John Skelton? Reply with quote

Seriously, could it work? I wrote him off before after the terribly embarassing play and the fact that he complained about things in the media but could Skelton work now that Whiz is gone? He's got the physical tools that Arians' offense requires when very draft prospects do and Kevin Kolb really doesn't have and if Arians is a better quarterback guru than anyone we had on the staff last year maybe he could mold him into the type of passer we hoped he would become all along? Am I reaching or could John Skelton be our guy?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're reaching. I just can't see it ever happening. I mean he could stay on but I doubt we'd go into another season with him as our starter. The guy just doesn't have it mentally. He's a horrible decision maker and has actually regressed since his first year. I would be seriously depressed if he was our starting QB again.

And I too didn't like his attitude about his situation. He always seemed whiny and entitled about getting benched even after he played absolutely dreadful. A little accountability would have been nice to hear.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is a number of unknowns among our offense that is going to play out as the offseason develops and and as we work towards the season.

All we have to do is look at how John bought us back in multiple games down the stretch in 2011 to see that he does have enough talent to win the job. Whether he is given a chance and whether he can do enough to work out the issues he has are completely different questions.

I will say this. I am going to be more comfortable going into 2013 with John Skelton working in this offense than I would be going into the 2013 season with any rookie QB not named Smith or Wilson in the starting role.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I'm not sure about starter I do believe they will keep him to be the back up. As you said he has everything that Arains wants in a QB. When Arians said you can't Dink and Dunk in the NFL that wrote Kolb off in my mind. He got starting experience and has won some game so as a Vet back up I think he could do that role well.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
has actually regressed since his first year. I would be seriously depressed if he was our starting QB again.

That is false - He made a couple of large strides forwards in his second season, then took a step back in the third.

The big thing here is your have to look at the legitimate and realistic alternatives.

There is nothing decisively better in free agency who fits the offense as well as John does and there is nothing in the draft outside of Smith and Wilson who provide a big upgrade at the spot and while Wilson has a good arm, his deep ball needs work and and Geno is not a guy who possesses the massive arm of others in this draft but it is good.

We are in a spot where the best QB on our roster is not a great fit for what our offensive coaching staff really want to do and then you add in his contract situation. Combine that with (Outside of the possibility of Flacco) free agency being very, very light in guys who fit into what our offensive staff want to do and the draft is light on top talent period, and some of that top talent does not provide us with a great fit for what we want to do offensively.

You don't want to go out and take a QB just to take a QB that is counter-productive.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a RFA next year, so that means he is cheap. Maybe he gets a chance as one of four QBs, I believe Kolb restructures, Lindley is under contract, and I don't know that their is a huge market for Hoyer but maybe he ends up in SD.

I think Skelton get another short with us, however he could get traded to another team who wants to give him a try.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass 1000 times over again. Guys a turnover machine, I don't care that we have Tom Moore.

He is what he is and we've seen that one too many times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
has actually regressed since his first year. I would be seriously depressed if he was our starting QB again.

That is false - He made a couple of large strides forwards in his second season, then took a step back in the third.

I get what you're saying but it's still true. Skelton in his first year was better than Skelton in his third year IMO. Therefore, he's regressed since his first year.
sunnysouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Starting Quarterback For 2013: John Skelton? Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Seriously, could it work? I wrote him off before after the terribly embarassing play and the fact that he complained about things in the media but could Skelton work now that Whiz is gone? He's got the physical tools that Arians' offense requires when very draft prospects do and Kevin Kolb really doesn't have and if Arians is a better quarterback guru than anyone we had on the staff last year maybe he could mold him into the type of passer we hoped he would become all along? Am I reaching or could John Skelton be our guy?

I wanna smoke a little of whatever you smoked. Wink
Skelton is damaged goods.
We need to keep Hoyer; there will be a little competition on the market.
Draft another rookie somewhere in the draft. Let him compete with Lindley.
Maybe we get lucky, maybe we don't.
Give Kolb a better line and run game and go from there.
I don't see the QB of the future in this draft.
Prefer not to see Skelton again. Too damn many missed throws.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought as Skelton does fit Arians' offense better than Whis'. If Skelton, Lindley, maybe Hoyer and possibly/probably a rookie are all given a shot at starting, doesn't that almost force us to trade or release Kolb? Could Kolb possibly be dealt to Jacksonville if KC grabs Geno? I know I would definitely give them a call.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skelton can do it he needs some one to believe in him

matthouston91 made it!
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDOCKETT90 wrote:
Skelton can do it he needs some one to believe in him

lol what? That's not going to suddenly make all of his problems as a QB go away.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arians got a 4 year deal with an option.

So really he has time up his sleeve, at least 3 years.

So if he fixes everything else except QB this year and targets a QB in 2014 (year 2) with better prospects (supposedly) then he still has 2 years to get them right and keep his job?

I can see us carrying 4 qb till end of TC, then last man gets cut.

Kolb will also have to take a healthy paycut to stay till then, we need the cap space and taking less now to get more later will work for him.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the preseason game @ Tenessee when Dilfer was announcing? He said it's impossible to evaluate a QB when they don't get 90% of the reps and play behind a horrible OL. I'll trust BA whether he picks Kolb, Skelton or a rookie but he needs to get every rep whoever it is. Can't stress that enough.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Remember the preseason game @ Tenessee when Dilfer was announcing? He said it's impossible to evaluate a QB when they don't get 90% of the reps and play behind a horrible OL. I'll trust BA whether he picks Kolb, Skelton or a rookie but he needs to get every rep whoever it is. Can't stress that enough.

100% Agree, try to sort it out quick so that the starter gets reps with the oline and WRs.

As far as believing in Skelton, he was picked as the starter.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: