Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Position of Interest notes from SeniorBowl Practice

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dallas94Ware


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 4471
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Position of Interest notes from SeniorBowl Practice Reply with quote

I admittedly had to work more than I wish I had to during the Senior bowl practices, but i did manage to catch the parts that mattered most to the Cowboys: let's call them positions of interest, where a new young player or backup will likely be sought early.

Defensive line, offensive line, in particular.

I took some notes down about anyone I thought stood out, or about any media buzz players at the position I thought did not have a good practice.

UCLA DE/OLB JONES - FAST HANDS QUICK BURST DOESNT FINISH

For a pass rusher, Jones has that burst that does indeed project to a speedy rusher as an end or rush backer in a 34. He has an amazingly fast first couple of steps, and his hand work keeps blockers at bay while he utilizes those fast first steps to get around the blocker and into the Qb's face. Now I did also notice he doesn't finish all that well, lacking the adjustment of his hips to properly finish off the sack. Blockers consistently were able to adjust to his speed and get back in his way. Ware had this problem coming out of college too, however.

PURDUE DL SHORT - GREAT UPPER BODY POWER SLOW FEET

His raw power off the snap was second to none that I saw. He has powerful, long arms that allow for him to shed blocks with ease and clog running lanes, since his average foot speed doesn't often allow him to get into the backfield quick enough to generate too much of a rush. Playing him alongside a guy like Ratliff would make him an ideal fit for the inside of a 43 front in our defense.

KENTUCKY OL LARRY WARFORD - BIG BRUISING SPACE MAKER LONG ARMS FOR PASS PROTECT

This guy is an absolute mauler of an OL. He's aggressive, and has the power to make space even in the face of very athletic DLs. He has those long arms that generally are acquainted with a solid NFL pass protector as well.

Oklahoma OL Lane Johnson - All technique, no push. swively hips good feet good pushed back easily

He seemed to lack any real ferocity when landing his blocks, but with sound technique, good hip work, and good foot work, he has the abiility to stand up some decent rushers. If he can bulk up his upperbody and gain some more power, his issues with more powerful DLs could be minimized.

LSU DL Lavar Edwards - good change of direction for DL

He is very average or raw with his mechanics and his speed is, overall, subpar. But his ability to change direction on a dime is like that of a good running back, and a DL who can do this can easily generate pressure or create sacks simply by out maneuvering an OL before the point of attack. Just ask Jared Allen, who has this same quality.

Georgia DT Jenkins - Good power but cant shed blocks raw hands

I was not a fan of Jenkins, although there is a hype and a buzz following him because of his power and leg drive at the point of impact. However, his hand work is very raw and seems unnatural for the position, leading to fewer blocks being shed than you'd expect from a powerful guy like this.

Pass rusher EZEKIEL ANSAH - POOR BURST POOR HANDS

Despite the buzz on him from him overall athleticism, he lacks the burst off the snap that allows for good pass rushing. His tackling is very average at best in the run game, and he takes poor angles when having to slide into a pursuit technique to stuff the run. His hand work is atrocious.

---

A couple other tidbits about players I thought stood out and could make good backups/potential future replacements:

RICE TE MCDONALD - FAST FOR A BIG BODY, DOESNT CATCH WITH HIS BODY GOOD HIGH POINT CATCHING LOTS OF YAC POTENTIAL GATES

syracuse QB Nassib - nice touch poor trajectory adequete arm



Now with Witten, we don't need to be drafting a TE that high. But he is aging, a viable option in our two tight powersets might be just what we needed to open up the running game out of those formations, where we have previously struggled to run. McDonald is fast for a TE, has the frame of a monster pass catcher, breaks tackles like a determined goal scorer, and reminds me very much of a raw Antonio Gates.

With Kyle Orton carrying an awfully heavy cap charge for a backup, and Romo dealing with injury two out of the last three seasons, a decent back up replacement could be on the coaching staff's mind. And with Romo not exactly being a spring chicken, a young guy at QB to develop for 3, 4 years down the road could be just as viable. Syracuse QB Nassib, who's name I did not catch and had to look up, is projected to go as a high to late second by most scouts. But if he slips, a third round selection used on a guy who reminds me quite a bit of Andy Dalton would certainly not be a bad thing. He's got the arm to make the plays he'll need to, the accuracy to place it where it should be, and although he doesn't always use the best throwing lane, most of his downsides can be coached away.
_________________
"Not saying the dog can't run, just that he can't find the meat."
Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.
Read the Football FAQ!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Nassib is the Cuse qb.

We definitely need a young qb to groom. Nassib will probably get over drafted in the first round. As long as its before 18 I am cool with it. That pushes another player down.

Short and Warford would both be welcome additions to the Cowboys.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dallas94Ware


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 4471
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Ryan Nassib is the Cuse qb.

We definitely need a young qb to groom. Nassib will probably get over drafted in the first round. As long as its before 18 I am cool with it. That pushes another player down.

Short and Warford would both be welcome additions to the Cowboys.


I agree on the need for a youn passer to groom. Romo has showed what patience with a raw talent can do for a team, and a guy like Nassib is certainly qualified for a backrup role as he sits, watches and learns. I do agree though, he will likely be over drafted and forced into a starting role early - before he's ready.

And yeah, I'd be very excited if we landed Short or Warford. Short would go great alongside Ratliff inside, a perfect match to run inside stunts or twists and the like with. And Warford has a great potential in the NFL as a solid, reliable right tackle - which would be a likely improvement over what we're fielding now. Even if we moved Warford inside like some scouts project him fitting best, he'd be miles and miles ahead of the garbage we've cycled through at G and even C.
_________________
"Not saying the dog can't run, just that he can't find the meat."
Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.
Read the Football FAQ!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Ryan Nassib is the Cuse qb.

We definitely need a young qb to groom. Nassib will probably get over drafted in the first round. As long as its before 18 I am cool with it. That pushes another player down.

Short and Warford would both be welcome additions to the Cowboys.


I agree on the need for a youn passer to groom. Romo has showed what patience with a raw talent can do for a team, and a guy like Nassib is certainly qualified for a backrup role as he sits, watches and learns. I do agree though, he will likely be over drafted and forced into a starting role early - before he's ready.

And yeah, I'd be very excited if we landed Short or Warford. Short would go great alongside Ratliff inside, a perfect match to run inside stunts or twists and the like with. And Warford has a great potential in the NFL as a solid, reliable right tackle - which would be a likely improvement over what we're fielding now. Even if we moved Warford inside like some scouts project him fitting best, he'd be miles and miles ahead of the garbage we've cycled through at G and even C.


He played rg in college so I would leave him there.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23344
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see your thoughts on:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Mike Gillislee, Florida
Josh Evans, Florida
Zachary Knight Rogers, Tennessee
Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbuilt
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dallas94Ware


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 4471
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Ryan Nassib is the Cuse qb.

We definitely need a young qb to groom. Nassib will probably get over drafted in the first round. As long as its before 18 I am cool with it. That pushes another player down.

Short and Warford would both be welcome additions to the Cowboys.


I agree on the need for a youn passer to groom. Romo has showed what patience with a raw talent can do for a team, and a guy like Nassib is certainly qualified for a backrup role as he sits, watches and learns. I do agree though, he will likely be over drafted and forced into a starting role early - before he's ready.

And yeah, I'd be very excited if we landed Short or Warford. Short would go great alongside Ratliff inside, a perfect match to run inside stunts or twists and the like with. And Warford has a great potential in the NFL as a solid, reliable right tackle - which would be a likely improvement over what we're fielding now. Even if we moved Warford inside like some scouts project him fitting best, he'd be miles and miles ahead of the garbage we've cycled through at G and even C.


He played rg in college so I would leave him there.


A lot of the buzz about him though is his potential on the strong side as a tackle. He has the footwork that looks good for a tackle position. Though keeping him inside would allow teams who pull their guards often to find much more value in him and draft him way higher than he'd be projected to go if you're looking at him as a T.
_________________
"Not saying the dog can't run, just that he can't find the meat."
Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.
Read the Football FAQ!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dallas94Ware


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 4471
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I'd like to see your thoughts on:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Mike Gillislee, Florida
Josh Evans, Florida
Zachary Knight Rogers, Tennessee
Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbuilt
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska


Didnt get to see them practice, or if I did, they didn't stand out enough for me to make any notes. I haven't had a chance in years now, since I got married actually, to go all OCD on studying draft prospects. But if I can get a chance to look on some of those guys more in depth I'll be sure to post it here.
_________________
"Not saying the dog can't run, just that he can't find the meat."
Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.
Read the Football FAQ!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5136
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Position of Interest notes from SeniorBowl Practice Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:


With Kyle Orton carrying an awfully heavy cap charge for a backup, and Romo dealing with injury two out of the last three seasons, a decent back up replacement could be on the coaching staff's mind.


I don't think 3mil this and 5 mil next year is a huge cap number for a quality backup like Orton. If they are gonna give Romo a a 4-5year deal, I'd wait on taking a qb. If they only give him a 2-3yr extension, then I'd be fine with drafting a qb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3783
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warford really intrigues me. I have heard a lot of positives about him. Nothing wrong with grabbing him in the second.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5136
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Warford really intrigues me. I have heard a lot of positives about him. Nothing wrong with grabbing him in the second.


With him, David Quessenberry, and Brennen Williams all likely to be available in the third, I'd rather move up to about 6 spots to grab one and give up only a 5th.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CowboysTilIDie


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 3273
Location: Amarillo, TX
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Northland wrote:
Warford really intrigues me. I have heard a lot of positives about him. Nothing wrong with grabbing him in the second.


With him, David Quessenberry, and Brennen Williams all likely to be available in the third, I'd rather move up to about 6 spots to grab one and give up only a 5th.


I'd be shocked if Warford dropped into the 3rd. Some are talking about him as a potential fringe 1st round pick. More than likely he'll be taken in the first half of the 2nd round though. I like Schwenke out of Cal and I like Quessenberry also.
_________________

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20033
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I'd like to see your thoughts on:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Mike Gillislee, Florida
Josh Evans, Florida
Zachary Knight Rogers, Tennessee
Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbuilt
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska


Didnt get to see them practice, or if I did, they didn't stand out enough for me to make any notes. I haven't had a chance in years now, since I got married actually, to go all OCD on studying draft prospects. But if I can get a chance to look on some of those guys more in depth I'll be sure to post it here.


A lot of those guys were underclassmen, so they weren't there.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23344
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I'd like to see your thoughts on:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Mike Gillislee, Florida
Josh Evans, Florida
Zachary Knight Rogers, Tennessee
Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbuilt
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska


Didnt get to see them practice, or if I did, they didn't stand out enough for me to make any notes. I haven't had a chance in years now, since I got married actually, to go all OCD on studying draft prospects. But if I can get a chance to look on some of those guys more in depth I'll be sure to post it here.


A lot of those guys were underclassmen, so they weren't there.


Aside from Rivera and Floyd, who else is an underclassman?
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3783
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Northland wrote:
Warford really intrigues me. I have heard a lot of positives about him. Nothing wrong with grabbing him in the second.


With him, David Quessenberry, and Brennen Williams all likely to be available in the third, I'd rather move up to about 6 spots to grab one and give up only a 5th.


A lot can change between now and April but I don't see Warford sticking around until the third. If we went D Line in round one, I would grab him in a heartbeat in round two and not worry about it.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Global Moderator
Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 25717
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
Northland wrote:
Warford really intrigues me. I have heard a lot of positives about him. Nothing wrong with grabbing him in the second.


With him, David Quessenberry, and Brennen Williams all likely to be available in the third, I'd rather move up to about 6 spots to grab one and give up only a 5th.


A lot can change between now and April but I don't see Warford sticking around until the third. If we went D Line in round one, I would grab him in a heartbeat in round two and not worry about it.


Floyd in Round 1, Warford in Round 2, Schwenke in Round 4....me = Very Happy
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group