Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Position of Interest notes from SeniorBowl Practice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Position of Interest notes from SeniorBowl Practice Reply with quote

I admittedly had to work more than I wish I had to during the Senior bowl practices, but i did manage to catch the parts that mattered most to the Cowboys: let's call them positions of interest, where a new young player or backup will likely be sought early.

Defensive line, offensive line, in particular.

I took some notes down about anyone I thought stood out, or about any media buzz players at the position I thought did not have a good practice.

UCLA DE/OLB JONES - FAST HANDS QUICK BURST DOESNT FINISH

For a pass rusher, Jones has that burst that does indeed project to a speedy rusher as an end or rush backer in a 34. He has an amazingly fast first couple of steps, and his hand work keeps blockers at bay while he utilizes those fast first steps to get around the blocker and into the Qb's face. Now I did also notice he doesn't finish all that well, lacking the adjustment of his hips to properly finish off the sack. Blockers consistently were able to adjust to his speed and get back in his way. Ware had this problem coming out of college too, however.

PURDUE DL SHORT - GREAT UPPER BODY POWER SLOW FEET

His raw power off the snap was second to none that I saw. He has powerful, long arms that allow for him to shed blocks with ease and clog running lanes, since his average foot speed doesn't often allow him to get into the backfield quick enough to generate too much of a rush. Playing him alongside a guy like Ratliff would make him an ideal fit for the inside of a 43 front in our defense.

KENTUCKY OL LARRY WARFORD - BIG BRUISING SPACE MAKER LONG ARMS FOR PASS PROTECT

This guy is an absolute mauler of an OL. He's aggressive, and has the power to make space even in the face of very athletic DLs. He has those long arms that generally are acquainted with a solid NFL pass protector as well.

Oklahoma OL Lane Johnson - All technique, no push. swively hips good feet good pushed back easily

He seemed to lack any real ferocity when landing his blocks, but with sound technique, good hip work, and good foot work, he has the abiility to stand up some decent rushers. If he can bulk up his upperbody and gain some more power, his issues with more powerful DLs could be minimized.

LSU DL Lavar Edwards - good change of direction for DL

He is very average or raw with his mechanics and his speed is, overall, subpar. But his ability to change direction on a dime is like that of a good running back, and a DL who can do this can easily generate pressure or create sacks simply by out maneuvering an OL before the point of attack. Just ask Jared Allen, who has this same quality.

Georgia DT Jenkins - Good power but cant shed blocks raw hands

I was not a fan of Jenkins, although there is a hype and a buzz following him because of his power and leg drive at the point of impact. However, his hand work is very raw and seems unnatural for the position, leading to fewer blocks being shed than you'd expect from a powerful guy like this.

Pass rusher EZEKIEL ANSAH - POOR BURST POOR HANDS

Despite the buzz on him from him overall athleticism, he lacks the burst off the snap that allows for good pass rushing. His tackling is very average at best in the run game, and he takes poor angles when having to slide into a pursuit technique to stuff the run. His hand work is atrocious.

---

A couple other tidbits about players I thought stood out and could make good backups/potential future replacements:

RICE TE MCDONALD - FAST FOR A BIG BODY, DOESNT CATCH WITH HIS BODY GOOD HIGH POINT CATCHING LOTS OF YAC POTENTIAL GATES

syracuse QB Nassib - nice touch poor trajectory adequete arm

Now with Witten, we don't need to be drafting a TE that high. But he is aging, a viable option in our two tight powersets might be just what we needed to open up the running game out of those formations, where we have previously struggled to run. McDonald is fast for a TE, has the frame of a monster pass catcher, breaks tackles like a determined goal scorer, and reminds me very much of a raw Antonio Gates.

With Kyle Orton carrying an awfully heavy cap charge for a backup, and Romo dealing with injury two out of the last three seasons, a decent back up replacement could be on the coaching staff's mind. And with Romo not exactly being a spring chicken, a young guy at QB to develop for 3, 4 years down the road could be just as viable. Syracuse QB Nassib, who's name I did not catch and had to look up, is projected to go as a high to late second by most scouts. But if he slips, a third round selection used on a guy who reminds me quite a bit of Andy Dalton would certainly not be a bad thing. He's got the arm to make the plays he'll need to, the accuracy to place it where it should be, and although he doesn't always use the best throwing lane, most of his downsides can be coached away.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Nassib is the Cuse qb.

We definitely need a young qb to groom. Nassib will probably get over drafted in the first round. As long as its before 18 I am cool with it. That pushes another player down.

Short and Warford would both be welcome additions to the Cowboys.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:

We definitely need a young qb to groom. Nassib will probably get over drafted in the first round. As long as its before 18 I am cool with it. That pushes another player down.

I agree on the need for a youn passer to groom. Romo has showed what patience with a raw talent can do for a team, and a guy like Nassib is certainly qualified for a backrup role as he sits, watches and learns. I do agree though, he will likely be over drafted and forced into a starting role early - before he's ready.

And yeah, I'd be very excited if we landed Short or Warford. Short would go great alongside Ratliff inside, a perfect match to run inside stunts or twists and the like with. And Warford has a great potential in the NFL as a solid, reliable right tackle - which would be a likely improvement over what we're fielding now. Even if we moved Warford inside like some scouts project him fitting best, he'd be miles and miles ahead of the garbage we've cycled through at G and even C.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

I agree on the need for a youn passer to groom. Romo has showed what patience with a raw talent can do for a team, and a guy like Nassib is certainly qualified for a backrup role as he sits, watches and learns. I do agree though, he will likely be over drafted and forced into a starting role early - before he's ready.

And yeah, I'd be very excited if we landed Short or Warford. Short would go great alongside Ratliff inside, a perfect match to run inside stunts or twists and the like with. And Warford has a great potential in the NFL as a solid, reliable right tackle - which would be a likely improvement over what we're fielding now. Even if we moved Warford inside like some scouts project him fitting best, he'd be miles and miles ahead of the garbage we've cycled through at G and even C.

He played rg in college so I would leave him there.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see your thoughts on:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Mike Gillislee, Florida
Josh Evans, Florida
Zachary Knight Rogers, Tennessee
Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbuilt
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

He played rg in college so I would leave him there.

A lot of the buzz about him though is his potential on the strong side as a tackle. He has the footwork that looks good for a tackle position. Though keeping him inside would allow teams who pull their guards often to find much more value in him and draft him way higher than he'd be projected to go if you're looking at him as a T.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Mike Gillislee, Florida
Josh Evans, Florida
Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska

Didnt get to see them practice, or if I did, they didn't stand out enough for me to make any notes. I haven't had a chance in years now, since I got married actually, to go all OCD on studying draft prospects. But if I can get a chance to look on some of those guys more in depth I'll be sure to post it here.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Position of Interest notes from SeniorBowl Practice Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:

With Kyle Orton carrying an awfully heavy cap charge for a backup, and Romo dealing with injury two out of the last three seasons, a decent back up replacement could be on the coaching staff's mind.

I don't think 3mil this and 5 mil next year is a huge cap number for a quality backup like Orton. If they are gonna give Romo a a 4-5year deal, I'd wait on taking a qb. If they only give him a 2-3yr extension, then I'd be fine with drafting a qb.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warford really intrigues me. I have heard a lot of positives about him. Nothing wrong with grabbing him in the second.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Warford really intrigues me. I have heard a lot of positives about him. Nothing wrong with grabbing him in the second.

With him, David Quessenberry, and Brennen Williams all likely to be available in the third, I'd rather move up to about 6 spots to grab one and give up only a 5th.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Northland wrote:

With him, David Quessenberry, and Brennen Williams all likely to be available in the third, I'd rather move up to about 6 spots to grab one and give up only a 5th.

I'd be shocked if Warford dropped into the 3rd. Some are talking about him as a potential fringe 1st round pick. More than likely he'll be taken in the first half of the 2nd round though. I like Schwenke out of Cal and I like Quessenberry also.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Mike Gillislee, Florida
Josh Evans, Florida
Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska

Didnt get to see them practice, or if I did, they didn't stand out enough for me to make any notes. I haven't had a chance in years now, since I got married actually, to go all OCD on studying draft prospects. But if I can get a chance to look on some of those guys more in depth I'll be sure to post it here.

A lot of those guys were underclassmen, so they weren't there.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Mike Gillislee, Florida
Josh Evans, Florida
Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska

A lot of those guys were underclassmen, so they weren't there.

Aside from Rivera and Floyd, who else is an underclassman?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Northland wrote:

A lot can change between now and April but I don't see Warford sticking around until the third. If we went D Line in round one, I would grab him in a heartbeat in round two and not worry about it.
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
Northland wrote:

A lot can change between now and April but I don't see Warford sticking around until the third. If we went D Line in round one, I would grab him in a heartbeat in round two and not worry about it.

Floyd in Round 1, Warford in Round 2, Schwenke in Round 4....me = Very Happy

^^^mack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: