Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DB424s ILB analysis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which top ILB prospect do you feel is the best fit for the Ravens in this class?
Arthur Brown Jr.
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
Kevin Minter
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Manti Te'O
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
AJ Klein
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Gerald Hodges
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kevin Reddick
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Alec Ogletree
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Khaseem Greene
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Michael Mauti
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nico Johnson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:
Skov is returning back to school, for anyone who didn't know.

Was wondering why he didn't show up on Scott Wright's rankings... thought I must've missed it. I actually thought Skov was a senior for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we don't resign Ellerbe what do you guys think abut double dipping on ILBs in the draft I know we have McClain, but lets face it he isn't that good he is a capable starter, but not much else. I think he could be a cap casualty next off season.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiagomn8 wrote:
if we don't resign Ellerbe what do you guys think abut double dipping on ILBs in the draft I know we have McClain, but lets face it he isn't that good he is a capable starter, but not much else. I think he could be a cap casualty next off season.

If that's the case then I wouldn't mind the Ravens taking two guys at that position. They probably wouldn't spend two quality picks on ILBs though. Regardless of what we think of McClain the team seems to have a fairly high opinion of him so he would probably be a good bet as a starter they feel comfortable with. Having McClain on the field for all three downs (which is what would happen if Pees sticks to the same tendencies he's had this season) makes my skin crawl though. He's even worse than Ellerbe in coverage and not as good attacking the LOS.

Enough about my anti-McClain rant. If the Ravens went with two guys at that position in the draft I think a good combo would be Brown in the late first/early second round and Mauti in the 4th or 5th. Kiko Alonso could be a good pick in the later range too.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
I've been on the AJ Klein bandwagon since early in the season.

Athletically he stacks up well against all the other premier prospects in regard to size and speed.

I like the fact that he's a playmaker, scoring 4 TDs off interception returns (tied for the NCAA record for LBs--3 of 69+ yards) and averaging 115 tackles per season for the last 3 years. He was a co-DPOY in the Big 12 in 2011, a team captain, and was a 2 time academic All-America.

When I saw ISU play this year, he was always around the ball, so he has a good motor and high level instincts that put him in the proper position most of the time.

I also think the "X" factor in his game us that he has never been afforded the luxury of playing with NFL caliber teammates like many of the other ILB prospects and was still able to shine, and with talent like Reed, Suggs and Ngata around him, he could turn into a very special player. At worst, I could see him being similar to someone like Chad Greenway at ILB (not the best comparison because of positions, but he has similar skills).

Overall, I don't think we can go wrong with any of Brown, Minter or Klein, but I think Klein gives us the opportunity to grab one of the better pass rushers first while still addressing the repacement for Ray Lewis in the middle with a quality player who is less highly publicized than the other candidates at the top of the draft.

No love for Te'O?

And yeah... I think even after Klein opens up eyes after the combine, he's still probably going to be a guy we could have a shot at with our 2nd round pick. I think that's tremendous value, considering I think talent wise, he has the skillset to go first and I wouldn't question it. This draft is the deepest draft at ILB that I can remember seeing in recent memory. Some of that is populated with players that I don't like... but still, it should help the guys I like fall down the ladder for us to nab below 'market value'.

I don't honestly think he'll be available anywhere close to our pick, and quite honestly, I'm ok with that.

I think he benefits quite a bit from the Notre Dame factor, that if he played at a school that doesn't get the tv coverage they do that he would probably be a 2nd-3rd round prospect, and deservedly so. I just don't see what a lot of other people do in his game to make him a probable top 15 pick.

Then throw in the dead fake girlfriend thing, and I have to question how he'll assimilate into a locker room full of Alpha males as the replacement for, arguably, the best player ever at his position, let alone be a leader on the field. And then, to make matters worse, he'll have to hear about it at every road game from the fans and even the media. I question if he is mentally tough enough to withstand that, because no matter what anyone says, it looks like it affected him against Alabama.

I view him as good, but not particularly special like I think Brown, Minter or Klein could be.

But you know what they say about opinions.......

I thought that before hand. But I think the factors that you talk about later on in your post will see him fall. Much of what elevated him into a top 10-15 pick wasn't just his talent, but many were elevating him due to his intangibles. But now that his intangibles are in question... he'll likely fall back to where he would've been if the Lennay Kakkua story had never hyped him and his intangibles so high in the process... the only difference is now, he has competition that has emerged.

And yeah, he was clearly distracted with preparation for the Alabama game, but that was a very trying time. I think moving forward you put Te'O into a strong locker room and that situation now acts as a building block to strengthening him. If you're a team and you believe his side of the story and you do your research and you believe him... well, I see a guy who is still of high integrity. I still see a guy who can lead people because he cares about them. And really, I think Te'O is going to fall down the draft some... and whoever selects him is going to get a highly motivated Te'O looking to prove the doubters wrong.

Honestly, my top 4 ILB prospects are all so close. I love what I see from Minter, but I also don't know much about him from an intangible aspect. I'm much more comfortable with the other three guys in that respect at this point in the process. But yeah, I'd love to have any of those 4 guys... I don't care which one. I prefer Brown... and I love the fact that most seem to think low enough on him that he could be available with a small trade up in the 2nd round.

With regard to Te'O not being considered special and being a 2nd/3rd rounder. I definitely can't agree. I suppose you'd have to expound upon that opinion. All I see is Te'O making plays since he got to Notre Dame. I thought last year that had he come out he was clearly the 2nd best ILB available. He only got better since then. I can understand a late 1st round grade on him, I just don't understand a late 2nd round grade on him. I suppose you'd have to expound upon your opinion in that respect for me to understand it.

I'm usually a person who looks at production over measurables, but in this instance I'm going against my general philosophy.

And make no mistake, he's a really good football player. But there's that feeling that I get with him that he's reached his ceiling, a feeling I don't have for Klein, Miinter or Brown.

I just don't like the fact that Te'o is probably going to run a significantly slower 40 than most of the other highly rated prospects we're discussing. He was downright bad in pass coverage until his senior season, and he isn't very adept getting to the QB either. Was that scheme, or is that where his lack of foot speed hurts him? You would think that the guy who calls the defensive signals should be able to put himself into better position to do one or the other, but he does neither.

I view him as similar to Takeo Spikes in that regard. He's a thumper in the run game, but he has to come off the field on passing downs, or you're going to have a huge liability out there in the middle of your defense.

The other thing I don't trust is how overvalued guys from high profile programs generally are. There are a handful of college programs where the helmet matters as much as the play on the field. You can tell me I'm crazy, but Notre Dame is one of those schools. And this is a beautiful example of that theory, because if you just look at production and measurables, Klein is very similar to Te'o (mostly better), but is not thought of as even a 2nd day prospect by most people--fans and evaluators alike--while Te'o is thought of as a bona fide 1st rounder with top 10 potential.

I'm not going to pretend that I know more than I do about talent evaluation (which is basically limited to the eyeball test), we haven't seen any of the Combine drills that could prove my theories wrr..wrr...incorrect, and I definitely know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see anything special about Manti Te'o as a prospect that would justify taking him earlier than the 2nd-3rd round. I know someone probably will, and I may have to eat these words someday, but Manti Te'o doesn't look like a building block player at the NFL level to me.
hemm68

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man to me it all depends of if we can resign ellerbe or not. If we could then I believe he would star at the Wilb roll and we could get a Minter Teo type. Otherwise Arthur brown or ogletree would have to be the pick for coverage purposes.
I picked brown.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellerbe is bad in coverage and he's been playing the WILB role most of the season anyways. His best position is easily MIKE in my opinion. The Ravens need a LB that can cover regardless if they're able to re-sign Ellerbe or not.
hemm68

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Ellerbe is bad in coverage and he's been playing the WILB role most of the season anyways. His best position is easily MIKE in my opinion. The Ravens need a LB that can cover regardless if they're able to re-sign Ellerbe or not.

I can't agree or disagree with ya on ellerbe's coverage. I didn't focus in on him during the season. The only games I've kept a close eye on is against the Steelers and during the playoffs all of which he was playing lights out.

If I get some time ill go back and watch. But I digress, Ellerbe is a Tad undersized for the strong side and his speed would be under utilized. I'm not saying that there isn't upgrades in this draft however if he is to get a multi year deal and is to be an integral part of our defense. I would feel that we would be better off to draft a David Harris big boy linebacker to shore up the poa.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: