Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft question for Detroit fans:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Draft question for Detroit fans: Reply with quote

Regardless of what other prospects might or might not still be on the board in this hypothetical scenario, if it came down to choosing between Joekel, Milliner, or Lane Johnson, who's the pick and why?
EDIT: Okay, assume Fisher, Jordan, and Ansah are off the board.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make it too easy.

If the number 1 pick in a draft magically is available at #5, you take him. Joekel is a no brainer.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Don't make it too easy.

If the number 1 pick in a draft magically is available at #5, you take him. Joekel is a no brainer.

See, I'm not SO sure about that. Athletically, he is NOT #1 overall pick material. He's no Joe Thomas or Jake Long, by ANY stretch.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In actuality? Im assuming Joekel, Millliner or Werner in that order. By my preference? Milliner/Warmack or Joekel. In that order.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Don't make it too easy.

See, I'm not SO sure about that. Athletically, he is NOT #1 overall pick material. He's no Joe Thomas or Jake Long, by ANY stretch.

There just isnt a prospect at a position that is traditionally taken in the 1st round that actually stands out this year. Warmack is the bes t bet, but I kind of dont think the lions go that route unless we trade down a bit.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Don't make it too easy.

Revisionist history. Joekel is ALOT better prospect than Thomas was. Thomas was viewed as having TRex arms and didn't do well in strength testing.

Joekel's floor is much higher than the other guys. He is already more refined than I expect most of the other OTs in this draft to become. He is the clear favorite at #1 and has been since the draft process started.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Don't make it too easy.

Revisionist history. Joekel is ALOT better prospect than Thomas was. Thomas was viewed as having TRex arms and didn't do well in strength testing.

Joekel's floor is much higher than the other guys. He is already more refined than I expect most of the other OTs in this draft to become. He is the clear favorite at #1 and has been since the draft process started.

If you're calling Joekel a LOT better prospect than Thomas, dude......
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Don't make it too easy.

As a prospect, Thomas was not that great. Like I said revisionist history. The last thing you want from your LT is short arms....you know like Joe Thomas? Or for him not to be that strong.....you know like Joe Thomas? He makes up for it with technique, which is something you certainly can't count on as a prospect because very few in the history of the NFL have overcome such maladies to become a very good LT at all.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Don't make it too easy.

As a prospect, Thomas was not that great. Like I said revisionist history. The last thing you want from your LT is short arms....you know like Joe Thomas? Or for him not to be that strong.....you know like Joe Thomas? He makes up for it with technique, which is something you certainly can't count on as a prospect because very few in the history of the NFL have overcome such maladies to become a very good LT at all.

Regardless, I can NOT see Joekel being called, with ANY degree of accuracy, a "LOT" better prospect than Thomas. It just doesn't add up.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those guys it's likely Joeckel, but I wouldn't be suprised if they decide to draft someone else maybe like Sheldon Richardson or Cordarelle Patterson.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
With those guys it's likely Joeckel, but I wouldn't be suprised if they decide to draft someone else maybe like Sheldon Richardson or Cordarelle Patterson.

Good talents, both, but nowhere CLOSE to the biggest needs on your team.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

That doesn't matter, our front office believes you fill needs in free agency and through trades. They believe you take players in the draft that build you for the future and not the next season, so needs don't really factor into their draft decisions.

R.I.P. Stylish
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

That doesn't matter, our front office believes you fill needs in free agency and through trades. They believe you take players in the draft that build you for the future and not the next season, so needs don't really factor into their draft decisions.

Sorry; just don't see it with those two examples in particular. Defensive tackle is the LAST position you should consider for Detroit in the first ROUND, and wide receiver makes zero sense, too. Confused
It's either OT, CB, or MAYBE defensive end.
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Cordarelle eh? Me seems to remember foretelling his position within the top #10.

You've changed your mind huh?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Sorry; just don't see it with those two examples in particular. Defensive tackle is the LAST position you should consider for Detroit in the first ROUND, and wide receiver makes zero sense, too. Confused
It's either OT, CB, or MAYBE defensive end.
Position doesn't really matter. If we took Richardson we could play him at DE, or maybe play Suh or Fairely there. And WR is a need. Not a large one, but adding someone like Patterson out there would be deadly. We need a burner opposite Calvin who can take the top off of the defense to help our offense reach its full potential, and Patterson could provide that for us.

Remember, the draft we took Fairley, DT was considered one of our strongest positions, if not the strongest but we still took him because we thought he was the best player left.

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: