Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Franchise Tag Question- CB Derek Cox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Franchise Tag Question- CB Derek Cox Reply with quote

One Year Franchise Tag Tender is $ $10.668 million for Cornerbacks. Cox will turn 27 prior to week 3 of the 2013 Season.

Does Franchising Derek Cox make sense and is it a path GM David Caldwell will consider?
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse players have received the franchise tag in recent years and with as much cap as we have and the "limited free agency activity" we've heard that we'll have, I think it'd make sense for him to franchise tag Derek Cox.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At worst it gives him a reason to stay healthy. If he can't then we cut our loses and move on.

#JDI
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
At worst it gives him a reason to stay healthy. If he can't then we cut our loses and move on.

I'm thinking along these lines, although he would likely be cheaper by the year if he got a 3, 4 or 5 year deal.

A three year deal worth around $7.5 million per with fair guarentees would be a bargain if he could avoid his nagging injuries.

I didn't realize he was so close to 30.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was first thinking HELL NO, but I guess it would make sense. if he plays well, sign him, if not, kick him to the curb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

I'm thinking along these lines, although he would likely be cheaper by the year if he got a 3, 4 or 5 year deal.

A three year deal worth around $7.5 million per with fair guarentees would be a bargain if he could avoid his nagging injuries.

I like the bolded idea. I'd have no problem paying him as long as it was tied to playing time/productivity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

I like the bolded idea. I'd have no problem paying him as long as it was tied to playing time/productivity.

So are you a jags fan or what? I see the buffalo sig, so im just curious. Nothing personal, just wondering what you're doing here, but you havnt ruffled any feathers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

I have to assume the front office would prefer incentives in lieu of gurentees but because he's a free agent, there has to be some sort of stability in the contract.

I think he eventually gets approached in a similar way Gene dealt with our free agents last season - letting him test the market, but never really leave town.

- Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franchising him makes the a lot sense to me. Give him a year with a new Strength and Conditioning staff and see if he can clear up the soft tissue injuries.

He should absolutely be worth the cost of the Franchise tag if he stays healthy, and if he doesn't stay healthy, you can let him go knowing that you trust that he's never really going to stay healthy.

Incentives deal makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure he would go for that. And if you can get him on a deal for the cheap, do that over the Franchise tag.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i just dont see him going for an incentive-based deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
yea, i just dont see him going for an incentive-based deal.

It really depends on the market for his services. I think we'll make a strong push for him, but it ultimately depends on his market.

Obviously, I don't really want to franchise the guy. I think he's worth the risk of signing a multi-year deal.

- Gus Bradley
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

So are you a jags fan or what? I see the buffalo sig, so im just curious. Nothing personal, just wondering what you're doing here, but you havnt ruffled any feathers

I mentioned in another thread that I will be in and out of here quite a bit because of the Bradley hire. The short back-story to this is that his wife Michaela's family was essentially my refuge when I was growing up and dealing with some garbage. So, as long as Bradley's the coach, I'm gonna be rooting for you guys - as long as you aren't playing the Bills, of course. Wink

BTW, just to get this out of the way, I have absolutely no insight, no lines of communication with any of the coaching or FO staff, so won't be a source of any news, insight, etc. The only thing I've heard since his hire is that Gus was very excited for the opportunity to coach the team and the family was happy to be moving back to Florida. Frankly, pretty much info you could get by searching the internet.

Anyway, I certainly don't intend to, nor will I probably ever, ruffle any feathers unless there are people here who can't handle unbiased opinions.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool man, even if the circumstances weren't the best.

It's always nice to see some new people in here. Hopefully you're around here for a couple decades. Wink

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
sadjag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Franchising him makes the a lot sense to me. Give him a year with a new Strength and Conditioning staff and see if he can clear up the soft tissue injuries.

He should absolutely be worth the cost of the Franchise tag if he stays healthy, and if he doesn't stay healthy, you can let him go knowing that you trust that he's never really going to stay healthy.

Incentives deal makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure he would go for that. And if you can get him on a deal for the cheap, do that over the Franchise tag.

Yeah, i think he's got too much leverage to see him strong-armed into any sort of incentive-heavy deal at this point. If that's all we offer up and he doesn't like it...he can walk, and it's hard to imagine there wouldn't be a decent group of suitors. Cox and his agent are just as aware as we are, of his extensive injury history, and there will be other teams who think they can fix that somehow, or at least think luck will be on their side. Laughing

He's a talented player...when healthy, at a pretty high-demand position.

Franchise tagging would be a pretty big chunk of change if he puts in the usual half-season type campaign. But if he could stay healthy and on top of his game for a full year, he'd be worth it. And really, i can't think of anyone else this year who would be a better candidate. So if it comes to that, i wouldn't be too upset if we gave it a shot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: