Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders Interested in Geno Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La_Vader wrote:
Lol Geno Smith would do nothing for our defensive woes. It would be another questionable move by Reggie

If he's our QB for the next 10 years, it'd be a great move. It wouldn't do anything for our D in 2013 but it could do a lot of good to our team for a very long time. You got to look at it further than next season.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La_Vader wrote:
Lol Geno Smith would do nothing for our defensive woes. It would be another questionable move by Reggie

The real problem would be that he isn't committing to Pryor though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
holyghost wrote:
This rumor is not designed to get someone to trade up with us. It's designed to get someone to trade in front of us, which means it more than likely came from JAX. So now we know they want to trade out.

It could also come from us to have someone trade up to draft him so the guy we're targeting has a better chance to be there at #3.

True enough
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La_Vader wrote:

Yeah, drafting a franchise QB is a questionable move. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
La_Vader wrote:

If he's our QB for the next 10 years, it'd be a great move. It wouldn't do anything for our D in 2013 but it could do a lot of good to our team for a very long time. You got to look at it further than next season.

This. +1000000

This is a QB league.

I understand fans wanting Dline in this draft. But if can draft QB to be the face of your franchise, the rest will fill in.

Bottom line. Dline isn't putting Oakland in the playoffs next season.

At some point, they have to address the QB position for the long term. Yes, Dline is a need, but with a team who won't be making the playoffs in 2013 and likely 2014, would you rather start grooming a young QB now or wait another 2 years? That's the question.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is this. The Raiders are 2-3 years away from the playoffs with precise offseason moves and good drafting.

In 2-3 years, Palmer is on his last leg. You might have some better talent, but can he push you over the top?

Then you are forced to draft a QB and take on that learning curve.

So why no get a young signal caller now and rebuild around him for 2 years? At least then you know you have the right QB going forward.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Yes, Dline is a need, but with a team who won't be making the playoffs in 2013 and likely 2014, would you rather start grooming a young QB now or wait another 2 years? That's the question.

I don't think you have the freedom to choose the moment you add that QB, you do it when you get the opportunity, assuming there's a prospect you believe in. I understand the situation might not be perfect for a young QB at the moment but who's to say we'd be in position to draft one 2 years from now having worked on improving the rest of the team in the meantime? You can't plan on adressing particular needs in a given year because what you'll end up doing will/should be dictated by the prospects available.
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Yes, Dline is a need, but with a team who won't be making the playoffs in 2013 and likely 2014, would you rather start grooming a young QB now or wait another 2 years? That's the question.

I don't think you have the freedom to choose the moment you add that QB, you do it when you get the opportunity, assuming there's a prospect you believe in. I understand the situation might not be perfect for a young QB at the moment but who's to say we'd be in position to draft one 2 years from now having worked on improving the rest of the team in the meantime? You can't plan on adressing particular needs in a given year because what you'll end up doing will/should be dictated by the prospects available.

No doubt. We can only draft a QB at #3 if we believe there is one worth drafting and building a future around, not because the time is right. You can't force the issue. If Geno is a guy they see as the Raiders franchise QB and he is on the board, then by all means there is no problem having his name called at the podium.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Palooka, Smith can make any throw. He is also smart, works hard, he has all the tools, I wouldn't mind him sitting behind Carson for a season. As long as Mark Davis doesn't step in, McKenzie will not get rid of Allen if we lose ten games. He knows its a process, the Raiders were short of talent, draft picks, and strapped for cap room. As long as he sees improvements and guys working for Allen he is sticking around, regardless of who we select at number three.

Vader as much as I like Pryor's upside, how could you a Smith selection would be a fail for Reggie? He isn't more of an unknown or have any more questions than any other draft prospect this season...he has enough mobility to move around and has a test arm...I would be happy with the selection, but I think he will eventually be marked by K.C. and will ultimately go first to be Reid's QB.
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things:

1. I don't think he'll get past KC and Jax

2. I don't want to draft captain staredown at 3. I would love to wait till 2014 when the QB class is much, much better

GaTechRavens wrote:
PREDICTED RECORD: 2-14...a total clown show. It's okay, as Oakland's rebuilding period will soon be water under the bridge.
Cool
GJT1347

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
It's too easy to say 'gimmick offense' in relation to Geno.

If you watch closely, you see a guy who can do the following:

-Make all the throws including the deep out.
-Pinpoint the ball w/ accurate passes.
-Stand tall in the pocket and deliver (never shaky in the pocket).
-Buy time with his feet
-Deliver the ball with touch
-Look off defenders and go through reads.

Geno Smith is an accurate passer. He through enough balls in the intermediate/deep variety to gauge his accuracy in that capacity. He understands where the ball needs to be placed and how to put it there.

Most impressive to me is hi ability in the pocket. He doesn't get happy feet. He has a great feel in there. WV's Oline was suspect at times, but he made plays from the pocket as a passer. That's huge at the next level.

"gimmick" might be too strong of a word, but the offense certainly disguises rushing yards in the form of passing yards and hand-offs in the form of completions.

Props to Palooka ^
BigD1123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing about it is should we draft him at three it wont set us back five to six yrs like it did with J Russ. With the new rookie rules it will help alot. My personal feeling tho is that this is just a ploy to make either KC or Jacks pull the trigger on him. Making our pick more attractive to a team looking to move up for D help or Lt. I honestly feel that Reg is looking for more picks. Just because he seems to value picks alot....
BigD1123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I also feel like thats why he went with the married to Dmac speech. I think he is throwing as many smoke screens as possible to get as many picks as possible because we need a ton of players and rooks are about as cheap as you can get.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
GJT1347 wrote:
can we please put to rest the notion that only QB's win games? football is a team game and the QB position was one of our least worries last year. we have SOOOO many other positions with much less talent and potential than we have at QB. Rebuilding comes in the trenches, making it possible for a future QB to come in and have success.

Vote D-Line for 2013!

Franchise QB>>> Dline.

And there is not a franchise type guy on the Dline in this draft. in fact, I'd argue there is better value later in the draft.

If you can land a Franchise QB and add Dline talent in FA, win/win.

More than 1 way to build a team.

You're logic is confusing me. Feels like you swing from one idea to whatever the front office is thinking. For all the talk about the lack of talent on defense and no impact player and you're OK with us going QB with the #3 overall QB. Change of philosophy?

Some of these QBs aren't even clear cut 1st round guys. Its the same BS we heard when we were thinking of taking Russell. Different players but the situation is still fresh. "You need a franchise QB." If we had the picks I would have no problem. These guys are gonna take 2-3 years to develop while playing and I doubt Allen will have the time to last waiting for him to develop. Just too many holes to fill right now.

Look at teams like Seattle and San Fran who built their defense before they got their franchise guys. Thats the way this team should build IMO. Allen wants to be a tough Defense and a run first offense. Same when he was the DC in Denver.

I have absolutely no problem with taking a QB in the draft after the 1st. These guys seem to all have the same consistency problems. I really wouldn't mind EJ Manuel in the 3rd. I think it's a trade bait situation anyways as far as Geno.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I'm just not moved when I watch him play. Highlights are great. But when I sat and watched a little WV football it was rather ho-hum for me watching Geno.

Raider X hooked me with the sig

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 4 of 29

Jump to: