Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do with Shea McClellin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
And I prefer him going after the QB every snap, instead of 10 snaps a game at most.
He could still play DE in pure passing situations.
Again, I want him doing what he is special at doing, and thats going after the QB, 40 snaps a game, not 10 snaps a game. If you prefer him going after the QB, you want him at DE, the only people that should want him at LB are ones that think he isn't any good at rushing the QB.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
And I prefer him going after the QB every snap, instead of 10 snaps a game at most.
Again, I want him doing what he is special at doing, and thats going after the QB, 40 snaps a game, not 10 snaps a game. If you prefer him going after the QB, you want him at DE, the only people that should want him at LB are ones that think he isn't any good at rushing the QB.
Well he hasn't proven to be special at anything. There's a reason blitzing from the LB position is so effective. He's best on delays and stunts.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
Well he hasn't proven to be special at anything. There's a reason blitzing from the LB position is so effective. He's best on delays and stunts.
Yes because it brings one more player on the rush than the offense has in to block, it creates a numbers advantage. There's also a reason why good QBs torch the blitz, b/c it gives them an advantage on the back end.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
Yes because it brings one more player on the rush than the offense has in to block, it creates a numbers advantage. There's also a reason why good QBs torch the blitz, b/c it gives them an advantage on the back end.
Well the best Ds in the NFL blitz more then we do. Look at the SB teams. They use stand up pass rush LBers. Seattle and Denver are good examples too. In a copy cat league I think it would be a good idea. It would also allow McClellin to do what he's best at. I dont want to take Wootton and Peppers out of there natural DE spots if I dont have to. Both those guys are better pass rushers then McClellin. Add McClellin to that mix and we could have a better pass rush. Also McClellin playing SLB would be better against the run as well. We'd give up a bit in coverage but McClellin matches up well against some of the bigger TEs in the league.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
Well the best Ds in the NFL blitz more then we do. Look at the SB teams. They use stand up pass rush LBers. Seattle and Denver are good examples too. In a copy cat league I think it would be a good idea. It would also allow McClellin to do what he's best at. I dont want to take Wootton and Peppers out of there natural DE spots if I dont have to. Both those guys are better pass rushers then McClellin. Add McClellin to that mix and we could have a better pass rush. Also McClellin playing SLB would be better against the run as well. We'd give up a bit in coverage but McClellin matches up well against some of the bigger TEs in the league.
That's really funny cause I could have swore not only were we one of the best Ds in the NFL, but also #2 in QBPs? And we only blitz when we want to, weird.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
That's really funny cause I could have swore not only were we one of the best Ds in the NFL, but also #2 in QBPs? And we only blitz when we want to, weird.
We can always get better. Especially in the pass rush department.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
Except you want to do it by playing outside of the defense. We don't play a blitzing defense, we cover. We want to keep 7 guys back in coverage and create takeaways. We were 8th in the NFL in Sacks w/o blitzing much, and losing our best DL for 3 games. And none of those 8 teams above us, gave up a better passer rating than we did. This is clearly wanting change for the sake of change.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
Except you want to do it by playing outside of the defense. We don't play a blitzing defense, we cover. We want to keep 7 guys back in coverage and create takeaways. We were 8th in the NFL in Sacks w/o blitzing much, and losing our best DL for 3 games. And none of those 8 teams above us, gave up a better passer rating than we did. This is clearly wanting change for the sake of change.
McClellin didn't help much with us being 8th in sacks. I dont want to take Peppers and Wootton off the field since they're our best pass rushers. It's about getting our players in the best position to make plays. I think McClellin could be a 10+ sacks guy if he stands up. It also brings in a new wrinkle for teams to game plan for. There's a reason every draft expert thought this guy would be better off standing then with his hand in the dirt.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
McClellin didn't help much with us being 8th in sacks. I dont want to take Peppers and Wootton off the field since they're our best pass rushers. It's about getting our players in the best position to make plays. I think McClellin could be a 10+ sacks guy if he stands up. It also brings in a new wrinkle for teams to game plan for. There's a reason every draft expert thought this guy would be better off standing then with his hand in the dirt.

This is how McClellin helped us getting to 8th best in sacks...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0131-bears-chicago--20130131,0,543643.story

Quote:
The emergence of Corey Wootton in his third season and addition of Shea McClellin as the Bears' first-round draft pick allowed the team finally to lighten the workload for Julius Peppers.

The Pro Bowl defensive end participated in 74.5 percent of the team's plays, according to NFL statistics provided to the Tribune, his lowest figure in three seasons with the club. Keeping Peppers fresh — he played 82.1 percent of the snaps in 2011 and 87.9 in 2010 — helped him remain effective throughout the season. The difference from 2010 to 2012 is 129 defensive snaps — roughly eight per game.

Peppers turned 33 earlier this month. His 111/2 sacks were his most for the Bears and his highest production since a career-best 141/2 in 2008. He tied a career-high with three sacks in the Week 16 victory at Arizona and had 11/2 in a Week 15 loss to the Packers. Peppers had three sacks in the final four games of 2011 but only one in the final four regular-season games in 2010 and the Bears tried to use their linemen in waves under former coach Lovie Smith.

The presence of McClellin as a third end filled a long-term void. McClellin played in 34.7 percent of the snaps, recording 21/2 sacks. But the Bears got tremendous production from Wootton, who placed third on the team with seven sacks playing only 54.5 percent of the snaps. The Bears finished with 41 sacks, eighth in the NFL and tying for the most in nine seasons under Smith.
Quote:

Keeping everyone fresh up front was key to our improvement last year.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0131-bears-chicago--20130131,0,543643.story

Quote:
The emergence of Corey Wootton in his third season and addition of Shea McClellin as the Bears' first-round draft pick allowed the team finally to lighten the workload for Julius Peppers.

The Pro Bowl defensive end participated in 74.5 percent of the team's plays, according to NFL statistics provided to the Tribune, his lowest figure in three seasons with the club. Keeping Peppers fresh — he played 82.1 percent of the snaps in 2011 and 87.9 in 2010 — helped him remain effective throughout the season. The difference from 2010 to 2012 is 129 defensive snaps — roughly eight per game.

Peppers turned 33 earlier this month. His 111/2 sacks were his most for the Bears and his highest production since a career-best 141/2 in 2008. He tied a career-high with three sacks in the Week 16 victory at Arizona and had 11/2 in a Week 15 loss to the Packers. Peppers had three sacks in the final four games of 2011 but only one in the final four regular-season games in 2010 and the Bears tried to use their linemen in waves under former coach Lovie Smith.

The presence of McClellin as a third end filled a long-term void. McClellin played in 34.7 percent of the snaps, recording 21/2 sacks. But the Bears got tremendous production from Wootton, who placed third on the team with seven sacks playing only 54.5 percent of the snaps. The Bears finished with 41 sacks, eighth in the NFL and tying for the most in nine seasons under Smith.
Quote:

How would that change? McClellin can still play DE.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^

Quote:

Quote:

If you’re asking him to play SLB in early downs then moving him to DE on 3rd down he is going to wear down…you need the rotation to get the best out of all 4 guys…if Izzy resigns that is…if not you really need all 3 guys in the rotation.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^

Quote:

Quote:

If you’re asking him to play SLB in early downs then moving him to DE on 3rd down he is going to wear down…you need the rotation to get the best out of all 4 guys…if Izzy resigns that is…if not you really need all 3 guys in the rotation.
I cant imagine Idonije going anywhere. Even then he doesnt have to be a full time SLB.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shea did play SOME ILB.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012smcclellin.php

Here are the key points in the argument for letting him move around.
-Fluid athlete to drop into coverage
-Has some ball-skills
-Intelligent; can learn multiple positions
-Plays well in space
-Extremely instinctive
-Very versatile

McClellin recorded 50 tackles, seven sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss, two interceptions, one forced fumble and a blocked kick in 2011. Aside from playing as a traditional defensive end, he lined up for the Broncos as both a stand-up rush linebacker and an inside linebacker. He could have had a bigger sack total if Boise State had let him rush the passer on every opportunity, but he dropped into pass coverage regularly. He actually spent about half the time with his hand in the dirt and half in coverage.

So he CAN play the SLB, and yes of course there will be a learning curve, but the Bears don't play a complex system. They just run it very well. I would prefer to give him a shot if we resign Izzy. He has much more potential than any other option we have unless we strike gold later in the draft, and Izzy and him could both rotate in at DE, allowing both rest for Pep and more snaps for Shea. We will be in nickel a lot so he will still be able to line up with his hand down, as Wooten and Melton can be DTs (Paea rotating) while Pep, Izzy, and Shea can rotate at end.

All get snaps, only Shea gets a big boost of snaps, and he gets to develop more and become more valuable to the defense. Should Pep retire, we will have a full time DE in Shea to step up or have a player in the process of developing at DE or SLB by that point.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^

Quote:

Quote:

I cant imagine Idonije going anywhere. Even then he doesnt have to be a full time SLB.

If he doesn’t play as a full time SLB then you are tipping your hand to the offence that every time he is in at SLB we are blitzing and when someone else is at SLB we more than likely aren’t.
DaMike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^

Quote:

Quote:

If he doesn’t play as a full time SLB then you are tipping your hand to the offence that every time he is in at SLB we are blitzing and when someone else is at SLB we more than likely aren’t.
No you're not. He doesn't have to blitz every play. He can still matchup in coverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: