Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do with Shea McClellin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
He was a MLB and OLB. He was a situational DE on pure passing situations. He's played multiple positions but was mostly standing up.

He was not extremly effective for us. More the opposite.

He was not a MLB for Boise St. He moved around the field, but he was not a MLB by any stretch of the imagination.

Regarding the second point - Shea was 3rd on the team in pressures/disrutpions, behind only Melton and Peppers. Considering the snaps he played - thats great production.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not but he played a lot of MLB. Go back and rewatch his games. He has some on youtube.

I'm not joking at all. Shea started 3 years at DE for Boise St. It is true he played all over the field, and even lined up as a 'MLB' on occasion - but he was not a MLB. He never started a game at MLB, he never played an entire game at MLB, he never played an entire series at MLB.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from 'Windy City Gridiron' blog:

Quote:
I talked with SBNation's Boise State site, One Bronco Nation Under God, about Shea McClellin shortly after the Bears drafted him, and I asked the question that most Bears fans wanted to know; A lot has been made in Chicago about McClellin not being a true hand in the dirt defensive end. How often did he drop down from his linebacker position and rush the passer from a 3 or 4 point stance?

And what did they guys that watched every one of McClellin's games have to say about him;

Quote:
His position with the Broncos was defensive end. He played probably 70 percent of his snaps in that position. Boise State would occasionally move to a 3-3-5 or 3-4 defensive look in which case McClellin would stand up, but otherwise, he was a standard DE with the skills of an LB.

So many professional scouts started projecting him as a 3-4 outside linebacker, an edge rushing OLB, so a lot of fans began to see him that way as well. One Bronco Nation Under God continues about McClellin;

Quote:
I think a lot of Boise State fans had tempered expectations of him in the pros because they never pictured him as anything other than an end. But realizing how he would fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker or an edge rusher at the next level made a lot of sense. He just doesn't fit the traditional defensive end mold.

I agree, his unique skill set didn't scream out 'traditional DE', but in today's NFL his size isn't an issue. It's a passing league, and teams want to rush the passer. Whether as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 rush-backer, it was clear to scouts that his future in the pros would be as an edge rusher. Not a middle linebacker.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2012/12/6/3733138/shea-mcclellin-middle-linebacker-bears-chicago

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
He was a MLB and OLB. He was a situational DE on pure passing situations. He's played multiple positions but was mostly standing up.

He was not a MLB for Boise St. He moved around the field, but he was not a MLB by any stretch of the imagination.

Regarding the second point - Shea was 3rd on the team in pressures/disrutpions, behind only Melton and Peppers. Considering the snaps he played - thats great production.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not but he played a lot of MLB. Go back and rewatch his games. He has some on youtube.

I'm not joking at all. Shea started 3 years at DE for Boise St. It is true he played all over the field, and even lined up as a 'MLB' on occasion - but he was not a MLB. He never started a game at MLB, he never played an entire game at MLB, he never played an entire series at MLB.
So he wasn't a MLB but played MLB? Do you see how that doesn't make sense?
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

It makes perfect sense. Shea wasn't being asked to QB the defense or diagnose a running play and fight through the wash. He was back there in certain downs/distances and was used usually to spy a QB or show the offense a different look. Just as Marinelli used Shea this season.

Just because a guy can line up at a 'MLB' spot for 5 snaps a game - based on downs and distances, doesn't make him a MLB. There is nothing nonsensical about saying that.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

It makes perfect sense. Shea wasn't being asked to QB the defense or diagnose a running play and fight through the wash. He was back there in certain downs/distances and was used usually to spy a QB or show the offense a different look. Just as Marinelli used Shea this season.

Just because a guy can line up at a 'MLB' spot for 5 snaps a game - based on downs and distances, doesn't make him a MLB. There is nothing nonsensical about saying that.
He was used quite a bit at MLB. His responsibilites when playing MLB were similar to most MLBs. He played far more MLB in college then he played LB with us. I dont ever remember him playing LB for us. All I remember is him lining up at NT and spying Wilson a few times at the end of the Seattle game.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

He was used quite a bit at MLB. His responsibilites when playing MLB were similar to most MLBs. He played far more MLB in college then he played LB with us. I dont ever remember him playing LB for us. All I remember is him lining up at NT and spying Wilson a few times at the end of the Seattle game.
Well for 1 your comparing 3 years to 1 year. The fact is that he was ALWAYS a DE, but teams have on occasion stood him up and moved him around b/c of his athletic skillset. It doesn't change the fact that he has ALWAYS been a DE. Just like the times where he stood up and blitzed the A or B gap this year, he was STILL a DE.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
bkokot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

That obviously didn't work out very well given how that game ended.....
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Well for 1 your comparing 3 years to 1 year. The fact is that he was ALWAYS a DE, but teams have on occasion stood him up and moved him around b/c of his athletic skillset. It doesn't change the fact that he has ALWAYS been a DE. Just like the times where he stood up and blitzed the A or B gap this year, he was STILL a DE.
I'm not comparing 3 years to 1. I'm saying he played LB. Which is 100% accurate. I understand what you're saying but he never really profiled as an elite NFL DE. Lots of guys play DE in college and then are asked to play LB in the NFL. Especially guys with his skillset. He played a lot of LB. More then most college DEs.
henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about the exact same thing regarding moving him "McClellin" to slb. Teams should ALWAYS adjust their scheme around thier personel. I also envision a poor man's Von Miller. The league is constantly changing these days. I love the idea and I think he'd thrive in it.
henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCllein's optimal pos. would be ROLB in 3/4, but a Von Miller type role is the next best thing with our DE's set.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

I'm not comparing 3 years to 1. I'm saying he played LB. Which is 100% accurate. I understand what you're saying but he never really profiled as an elite NFL DE. Lots of guys play DE in college and then are asked to play LB in the NFL. Especially guys with his skillset. He played a lot of LB. More then most college DEs.
But its not like he's ineffective as a DE, he was 3rd on the team in disruptions (which is a much more important stat than sacks). He has that relentless motor to accompany his athletic skill set. Now we don't know what the defense is going to look like in a new scheme so if we play more 4-3 under then he obviously fits in that "elephant" role, and I'm not opposed to that, if that's where we are going, but we drafted him to play DE, he's flashed there, leave him there, let him develop. By the end of the year this year he had also gotten pretty strong at the point of attack as well. If he's the 3rd man in on the DL rotation, so be it. Its not like Pep and Wootton aren't playing well either.

AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry wrote:
I've been thinking about the exact same thing regarding moving him "McClellin" to slb. Teams should ALWAYS adjust their scheme around thier personel. I also envision a poor man's Von Miller. The league is constantly changing these days. I love the idea and I think he'd thrive in it.

If we do move him to OLB are we not then creating a need at DE where there isn't one? Wootton is a FA after 2013. Izzy is a FA now, and Pepp is essentially year to year now with his deal. Not only should Shea get the chance to develop into the DE Emery drafted him last year to be, but we really NEED him to develop into that player if we don't want to walk into a huge need at the position again next offseason.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

But its not like he's ineffective as a DE, he was 3rd on the team in disruptions (which is a much more important stat than sacks). He has that relentless motor to accompany his athletic skill set. Now we don't know what the defense is going to look like in a new scheme so if we play more 4-3 under then he obviously fits in that "elephant" role, and I'm not opposed to that, if that's where we are going, but we drafted him to play DE, he's flashed there, leave him there, let him develop. By the end of the year this year he had also gotten pretty strong at the point of attack as well. If he's the 3rd man in on the DL rotation, so be it. Its not like Pep and Wootton aren't playing well either.
I'm not saying we should move him there if the D wouldn't allow him to blitz. I just personally love the idea of him in a blitzing role.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^
And I prefer him going after the QB every snap, instead of 10 snaps a game at most.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^
And I prefer him going after the QB every snap, instead of 10 snaps a game at most.
He could still play DE in pure passing situations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: