Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do with Shea McClellin?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: What to do with Shea McClellin? Reply with quote

I have been thinking lately what we should do with Shea McClellin to maximize what he contributes.

It is difficult because he has almost 0 chance of starting at DE with Peppers established and Wootton emerging as a force.

But it is tough to sit a 1st round pick with incredible speed on the bench for another season playing 15-20 snaps a game. It seems like a waste of a talented player.

Why can we not use him like the Broncos use Von Miller. Miller plays early downs as the Broncos SLB and he plays passing downs as a DE. This negates his lack of ideal size and strength and allows him to be on the field constantly. McClellin can stand up on 1st and 2nd down and even be called on to blitz and on 3rd down he can put his hand down and blitz.

It would also allow Mel Tucker to more easily incorporate his 3-4 look on passing downs and McClellin is on the field and can blitz anywhere along the line.

1st Down

RE Peppers
DT Melton
NT Paea
LE Wootton
SLB McClellin
MLB Roach
WLB Briggs

3rd Down

RE McClellin
DT Peppers
NT Melton
LE Wootton
MLB Roach
WLB Briggs
Nickle Hayden
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put him at DE…leave him at DE/.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

Then he spends another year or 2 playing situationally and you really have to start questioning the pick.

We need to find a way to by our best players on the field.

His versatility was one of his selling features in the draft last season I think we need to find a way to use him more.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Then he spends another year or 2 playing situationally and you really have to start questioning the pick.

His versatility was one of his selling features in the draft last season I think we need to find a way to use him more.
He's a hand in the dirt pass rusher, who you can occasionally stand up and move around the line. He's not a SLB, no matter how much anybody wants him to be. MM is 100% right. And if Wootton becomes a dominant player, its going to make Shea even that much more effective. Pep's time is running short, I doubt he has another 2 years here, especially w/ a new DC and a new defense being installed. And if he is, oh well. Shea can see more snaps, you can keep all 3 guys fresh and rotating in and out. But he's a DE.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
dabears32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really like the idea of him in the "Miller" SLB role. I agree that it puts our best players on the field, and its a wrinkle that I think we'll start to see more of in the NFL.

I remember Emery saying that his draft strategy is to draft "the best player that can transcend scheme". To me, that translates to the value he places in flexibility. Shea is a unique type of athlete, and I do think that he could have some success in that role.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

And what is wrong with that when you are getting results?...look at what the Giants did…they had Osi & Tuck and then went and grabbed JPP…you can never have enough great pass rushers…not only that but do you think a team like San Fran won’t be in the market this offseason for another pass rusher even tho they have Smith & Brooks coming off a combined 26 sack season?…they will add a pass rusher early…even look at Trestman’s philosophy…protect our QB…hit their QB…it’s that simple and we have already seen the benefits of having a situational pass rusher…Julius Peppers playing injured all season was able to play less snaps than his previous 2 seasons with us but went for his 3rd highest career total in sacks because he was able to rest more…JP is 33 years old now…you need to start developing a guy to step in to that role like the Giants were doing with JPP to take over from Osi…it just so happened JPP was impossible to keep off the field for that long and surpassed Osi…

Our scheme doesn’t ask the SLB to do much other than take up blocks…in most 2nd & 3rd down situations the SLB isn’t even on the field because we are in nickel…keeping a fresh rotation of pass rushers is far more important than having McClellin on the field for the sake of it…which given we don’t ask our SLB to blitz and Mel Tucker in Jacksonville with no pass rushing talent barely ever asked his SLB to blitz doesn’t make much sense…and we don’t want him in coverage of a TE or RB either as that will be a mismatch…let McClellin get into the offseason programme with Mike Clark…add some strength and good weight to his speed and motor…then just let him put his hand in the dirt and get after the QB.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

He's a hand in the dirt pass rusher, who you can occasionally stand up and move around the line. He's not a SLB, no matter how much anybody wants him to be. MM is 100% right. And if Wootton becomes a dominant player, its going to make Shea even that much more effective. Pep's time is running short, I doubt he has another 2 years here, especially w/ a new DC and a new defense being installed. And if he is, oh well. Shea can see more snaps, you can keep all 3 guys fresh and rotating in and out. But he's a DE.
Why do you feel he can't play SLB?

My biggest issue with him is that he's never been a very good hand in the dirt pass rusher. He's never been a very good edge rusher.

I like the idea of him as a SLB/DE. That's his skill set and that's why teams had a 1st round grade on him. We would have to adjust our scheme a bit but I love the idea of a pass rush SLB. Shea is good enough in coverage to excel in a situational role like that.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, if the SLB position only takes up blocks and plays 50% of the time then if we re-sign Nick Roach to play the middle we don't need to draft a LB high to play that position?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Okay then, if the SLB position only takes up blocks and plays 50% of the time then if we re-sign Nick Roach to play the middle we don't need to draft a LB high to play that position?

That depends on how the FO view Nick Roach…for me Roach is a player who can play 50% of snaps at SLB for us and be a great backup at all 3 LB positions…I don’t think he is a full time starting MLB tho.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
There isn't a player on our D who's job it is to just take on blocks. Outside of maybe our NT.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

That depends on how the FO view Nick Roach…for me Roach is a player who can play 50% of snaps at SLB for us and be a great backup at all 3 LB positions…I don’t think he is a full time starting MLB tho.
Why do you think he can only play half the snaps at SLB?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

In a scheme that doesn’t ask their SLB to blitz it is usually the SLB who leaves the field to accommodate the Nickelback…we will be in nickel at least 50% of the time as we have been in the past few years with how pass heavy the NFL has become…so Roach or any other SLB will only be on the field 50% of the time.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pictured him in the Osi role coming out of Boise, but then again he was rushing in all the highlights I watched of him so I have no clue about his LB prowess.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

In a scheme that doesn’t ask their SLB to blitz it is usually the SLB who leaves the field to accommodate the Nickelback…we will be in nickel at least 50% of the time as we have been in the past few years with how pass heavy the NFL has become…so Roach or any other SLB will only be on the field 50% of the time.
Ok. Just so you know that would be playing 100% of the snaps at SLB.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I pictured him in the Osi role coming out of Boise, but then again he was rushing in all the highlights I watched of him so I have no clue about his LB prowess.
There are youtube videos of his games where he plays LB and plays in coverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: