Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Questions about OG Georff Schwartz?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Questions about OG Georff Schwartz? Reply with quote

How many games did he start?

Is he the Vikings 6th man on the OL?

Do you all expect him to make it to Free Agency?

The reason I ask is from the vikings games i saw this year Schwartz did well.

Also I think he might like to cometo Cleveland to play along sidehisbrother Mitchell.

Thoughts?

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwartz didnt start a single game for the Vikings last year. However, he was a constant fixture along the offensive line and constantly split series and reps with Brandon Fusco. Schwartz at times looked like a better player in the run game than Fusco and many fans clamored for him to be starting over Fusco.

I like Schwartz ideally as a backup to both OG spots and possibly RT, but I doubt he will ever be a starter as the intention will probably be to add a new LG and keep Fusco at RG.

If the Browns have a starting job at RG, Schwartz would be a solid under the radar signing that should help boost the Browns running game. He isnt much good as a pass blocker, unfortunately.

Jeff Davidson, his oline coach in Carolina and now with the Vikings is supposedly pretty close with Schwartz and that is why Schwartz followed Davidson to MN despite another offer by the 49ers. So I am not sure if any team will be able to pry Schwartz away unless the money is too good.

I would guess if the Browns, or any team, wants him as a starter it will probably cost $3-4 million per year over 3 seasons.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a good backup. He's someone you can feel comfortable coming in if injury/poor play occurs. However, I don't think he's much of a long term starter.

Like VR said, his best attribute is his run blocking, and he's not much of a pass blocker.

At this point, I think for his best intentions, he should just stay in Minnesota. He's still young, so there is room to improve I'd imagine.

down but not out. I still believe!
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was reported that the coaches didn't think he was aggressive enough as a blocker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see enough of him to pretend I know his strengths or weaknesses. There were a couple games when every series he came in, the Vikings offense seemed to move the ball better. Isolated incidents, however.

Lil Uno with the sig.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Schwartz didnt start a single game for the Vikings last year. However, he was a constant fixture along the offensive line and constantly split series and reps with Brandon Fusco. Schwartz at times looked like a better player in the run game than Fusco and many fans clamored for him to be starting over Fusco.

I like Schwartz ideally as a backup to both OG spots and possibly RT, but I doubt he will ever be a starter as the intention will probably be to add a new LG and keep Fusco at RG.

If the Browns have a starting job at RG, Schwartz would be a solid under the radar signing that should help boost the Browns running game. He isnt much good as a pass blocker, unfortunately.

Jeff Davidson, his oline coach in Carolina and now with the Vikings is supposedly pretty close with Schwartz and that is why Schwartz followed Davidson to MN despite another offer by the 49ers. So I am not sure if any team will be able to pry Schwartz away unless the money is too good.

I would guess if the Browns, or any team, wants him as a starter it will probably cost $3-4 million per year over 3 seasons.

The Browns new HC was in Carolina as well, so Chud is probably knows with him and vs versa. I am hoping the idea of playing along side his brother starting and for a power running team would appeal to him if he hits the open market.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right, that didnt process for me at first but Geoff and Mitchell are brothers. I wouldnt be surprised if the Browns signed him with that knowledge, I am not sure if he is a starting caliber player though.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwartz is definitely a starting caliber player.

He was among one of the better RG's in 2010. He was still partly recovering from his 2011 injury this year.

My guess is that he leaves to be a starter somewhere else. Cleveland does make a lot of sense.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With backup C Joe Berger a free agent, I'm hoping that we let him walk, move Fusco to backup C (where he played in college), and let Shwartz start at RG. Otherwise, if he's not set to start, I don't see him re-signing here.
Robbroy45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for one thing, it's spelled Geoff, not Georff Wink

On a more serious note, he's a great rotational guard and can be a solid starter as long as he's healthy. He was the 6th man in the rotation but only because he was hurt in training camp, and when he came back healthy he eared a good chunk of playing time rotating with Brandon Fusco. I think he could be a solid starter, not someone to bank on having a long term, dare I say "cornerstone" of a line, but as a 1 to 2 year stopgap while a younger guy develops I think he'd be a great guy to have on a team.

Heimdallr wrote:
Watching the game with two pcers fans.

Beer s good
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Schwartz could easily be a starting right guard in the NFL for 6-8 more years if he can stay healthy.

He's only 26, 27 before next season.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I think Schwartz could easily be a starting right guard in the NFL for 6-8 more years if he can stay healthy.

If Charlie Johnson is the weak link on the Oline, why not try Fusco at LG and Schwartz at RG. Or can Schwartz play LG?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Schwartz will leave.
Not that I would want him to, but I think we try and focus our attention on other needs, and another teams picks him off.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

If Charlie Johnson is the weak link on the Oline, why not try Fusco at LG and Schwartz at RG. Or can Schwartz play LG?

Either Fusco or Schwartz could play LG, it's by far the "easiest" interior line position. Most of the time the center will come over and double with the LG and the RG is left to block interior rushers 1 on 1.

From our very own...
Quote:
Todd Steussie says, "Right guard is definitely harder than left guard." Recently-retired lineman Todd Fordham, a 10-year NFL vet, agreed: "The left guard always has help."

arKnaD7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be surprised if he went to Phildelphia either, he played for Chip Kelly at Oregon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: