Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Winder23 Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Winder23 Mock Offseason Reply with quote

RESIGN:

Ryan Clady (UFA)
Brandon Stokley (UFA)
Jim Leonhard (UFA)
Dan Koppen (UFA)
Kevin Vickerson (UFA)
David Bruton (UFA)
Tony Carter (ERFA)
Mitch Unrein (ERFA)
Chris Clark (RFA)
Matt Willis (RFA)
Britton Colquitt (ERFA)

FREE AGENT LOSSES/CUTS:

Keith Brooking (UFA)
Lance Ball (RFA)
Tracy Porter (UFA)
Chris Gronkowski (RFA)
Joe Mays (CUT)
DJ Williams (CUT)
Jason Hunter (UFA)
Justin Bannan (UFA)
Ty Warren (UFA)

FREE AGENT ADDITIONS:

Sammie Lee Hill DET 6-4 330

Hill is a good player on a team with alot of good DT's. He will want a chance to move on and start somewhere. Del Rio likes big aggressive DT's and Hill would add a new element to the Broncos interior defense.

Matt Shaughnessy OAK 6-5 285

Shaughnessy is a good football player on a bad team. He is an excellent run defender and can generate some push on first and second downs. His presence will allow Derek Wolfe to kick inside on a more permanent basis.

2013 BRONCOS DRAFT

1 - Zach Ertz TE Stanford 6-6 252

Ertz will put the Broncos offense over the top. He is the exact weapon the offense needs to be complete. Dreessen and Tamme are good steady players, but Ertz is going to be an excellent NFL pass catcher. He had great hands and runs very well.

2 - Ryan Swope WR Texas A&M 6-0 205

I know eveyone will think this way too early for this guy, but he is the real deal and NFL ready. He is the best blocking receiver I have ever seen in college. He routinely helped run plays go for extra yardage and is excellent at running the defender out of the play. He doen't have breaking speed, but his route running will make him the next best slot receiver in football.

3 - Alvin Bailey G Arkansas 6-5 312

Bailey is a fantastic pass blocking guard who rarely lets his man get by. He isn't a slouch as a run blocker either. I love Chris Kuper, but his salary requires that he be healthy and effective. Bailey will be staring no later than the 2014 season.

4 - Nico Johnson MLB Alabama 6-2 245

I like Johnson as a two down thumper alot more than I like another year of Keith Brooking. I figure between Nico Johnson and Steven Johnson they can get the job done. MLB isn't such an important position in the NFL anymore, unless they can play all three downs. Trevathan and Woodyard look to be the nickle LB's going forward, so I don't put a premium on the MLB position.

5 - Lonnie Pryor RB/FB Florida State 6-0 230

The Seminoles used Pryor primarily at fullback and if you have seen him block at the POA you will know why. This guy can do it all. All his coaches and Teammates rave about how unselfish and hard working Pryor is. He is fast enough to run the ball in the NFL and I figure him to be a nice compliment to Ronnie Hillman in the future. He is like Howrad Griffith, but much faster and more elusive. The guy is an NFL red zone dream.

7 - Craig Roh DE Michigan 6-4 280

Roh has played alot of positions at Michigan, but player pretty well at strongside defensive end this season. A developmental pick for sure.
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No DJ, Joe Mays, or Brooking? Who do you have as our starting MLB? And I am one of those against a TE in the first round. We need to go DL or MLB in the first, IMHO.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind it. The only pick i really have an issue with is Swope in the 2nd. He isn't very dynamic and i don't think he'll be able to line up on the outside in the NFL.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swope isnt a 2nd rounder. I think hes more like 4th.

Nico Johnson isnt a 3-down MLBer in the NFL. Hes a WLB through and through.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you go watch Matt Shaugnessy play. He's not a good football player and he certainly doesn't generate any pass rush which is why the Raiders signed Carter to replace him on passing downs.

He certainly looked promising at one point, but injuries slowed him down some.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Suggest you go watch Matt Shaugnessy play. He's not a good football player and he certainly doesn't generate any pass rush which is why the Raiders signed Carter to replace him on passing downs.

He certainly looked promising at one point, but injuries slowed him down some.
I have seen Shaughnessy play. He isn't a great pass rusher, but he is good at stopping the run. With Von Miller moving to edge rusher on nickle packages, Shaughnessy would only be brought in to play in the base defense. His role would be similar to what Wolfe did in Broncos base defense in 2012. The Raiders had him miscast at right end, he is much better suited to play on the left side.

As for the Swope pick, it was quite the reach. Quinton Patton is probably a better choice with that selection.
primetime714

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the draft. Ertz is a good player, but I don't see him as a clear upgrade over our current TE's. In fact TE is a position I'd completely ignore in this draft as I don't see anyone that could really upgrade the position. Tamme and Dreeesen are both more than adequate and Green is up-and-coming. Additionally the team still has Thomas as a talented project.

I like Swope, but round 2 seems a bit early for him as his stock is currently trending down. In the 3rd or 4th he'd be a good pick, but there will probably be better receivers still on the board in round 2.

Bailey is a solid pick. Nico Johnson could potentially fill a 1st/2nd down role in Brooking's place, but overall he's a pretty unimpressive player that could be a liability given his lack of versatility. The Broncos offense and run game worked better sans fullback, so the Pryor pick doesn't make a whole lot sense. Even in short yardage situations the Broncos still benefited from a greater pass threat.

The free agent signings both make sense though.

The team is still weak at MLB though which is a problem.
Winder23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

primetime714 wrote:
I'm not a fan of the draft. Ertz is a good player, but I don't see him as a clear upgrade over our current TE's. In fact TE is a position I'd completely ignore in this draft as I don't see anyone that could really upgrade the position. Tamme and Dreeesen are both more than adequate and Green is up-and-coming. Additionally the team still has Thomas as a talented project.

I like Swope, but round 2 seems a bit early for him as his stock is currently trending down. In the 3rd or 4th he'd be a good pick, but there will probably be better receivers still on the board in round 2.

Bailey is a solid pick. Nico Johnson could potentially fill a 1st/2nd down role in Brooking's place, but overall he's a pretty unimpressive player that could be a liability given his lack of versatility. The Broncos offense and run game worked better sans fullback, so the Pryor pick doesn't make a whole lot sense. Even in short yardage situations the Broncos still benefited from a greater pass threat.

The free agent signings both make sense though.

The team is still weak at MLB though which is a problem.
I strongly disagree about Ertz. He si much faster and athletic than Dreessen and IMO will be just a as good as Tamme as a receiver. None of our TE's offer much big play potential. Ertz however, can quickly get deep down the seam and help open the middle of the field for Manning. An area where I feel the Broncos struggled in 2012.

If you don't know much about Pryor, I suggest some research is in order. He may have played fullback in college, but he will be an all purpose back in the pros. The guy can do it all and do it well. Pryor is IMO the most underrated back in this draft. At least he is now, but after he is tested at the combine, the media and dratnicks will all take notice of his size speed ratio and put that together with what is on film.

Johnson is a two down thumper and nothing more. I don'yt place as much emphasis on the MLB as many around here do. The most important thing to have is two LB's that can play in nickle situations. The Broncos have that with Woodyard and Trevathan. Having a 3 down MLB is not as important as some are making it out to be.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
Johnson is a two down thumper and nothing more. I don'yt place as much emphasis on the MLB as many around here do. The most important thing to have is two LB's that can play in nickle situations. The Broncos have that with Woodyard and Trevathan. Having a 3 down MLB is not as important as some are making it out to be.

Agreed. Now, if the right opportunity arises to get a 3 down player early at MLB i would take it, but if not i don't think it is the end of the world. I would have no problem adding a solid veteran and letting Irving (whom reportedly will get his shot at the job this offseason) and the veteran battle it out in TC.
Winder23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Swope isnt a 2nd rounder. I think hes more like 4th.

Nico Johnson isnt a 3-down MLBer in the NFL. Hes a WLB through and through.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/130846/ryan-swope

Just sayin! The kid has talent. He catches everything and blocks like no other reciver in the draft. He is NFL ready!
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a big fan of the draft because we pay only scant attention to the front 7 and when we do we don't get impact players. Johnson is not a 3-down mike and a 7th round DE is not going to make any sort of impact. Swope in the 2nd is a major reach.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I'm not really a big fan of the draft because we pay only scant attention to the front 7 and when we do we don't get impact players. Johnson is not a 3-down mike and a 7th round DE is not going to make any sort of impact. Swope in the 2nd is a major reach.

Give me a break AAA. that statement is absolutely incorrect when dealing with the Elway regime.

Front 7, that does include our last two top picks doesn't it? Miller and Wolfe? They're not impact guys?

How 'bout Beal and jackson, Trevathon, Irving? Sorry man but this regime is into the front 7 big time with great results. To think otherwise is delusional. Thats 5 picks out of what, 17 dedicated to the front 7?

Add in UDFA's like Siliga and Garland, toss in the efforts at FA like Warren and Bannan, add a trade for Bunkley. Looks to me like we concentrate more on the front 7 than any other area.

Straighten me out here AAA. What am I missing?
Winder23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:

Give me a break AAA. that statement is absolutely incorrect when dealing with the Elway regime.

Front 7, that does include our last two top picks doesn't it? Miller and Wolfe? They're not impact guys?

How 'bout Beal and jackson, Trevathon, Irving? Sorry man but this regime is into the front 7 big time with great results. To think otherwise is delusional. Thats 5 picks out of what, 17 dedicated to the front 7?

Add in UDFA's like Siliga and Garland, toss in the efforts at FA like Warren and Bannan, add a trade for Bunkley. Looks to me like we concentrate more on the front 7 than any other area.

I think he was referring to my lack of picks in this mock. I get the feeling Elway and Fox aren't enamored with young defensive linemen in important roles. Wolfe is a little different as he was a well developed player coming out of college. Threfore I had the Broncos add players on the D-line via free agency. Most d-linemen take a considerable amount of time to be key contributors.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Winder23"]
AKRNA wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:

I think he was referring to my lack of picks in this mock. I get the feeling Elway and Fox aren't enamored with young defensive linemen in important roles. Wolfe is a little different as he was a well developed player coming out of college. Threfore I had the Broncos add players on the D-line via free agency. Most d-linemen take a considerable amount of time to be key contributors.[/quote]

They also have a very large fail rate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: