Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Casey Hayward to FS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would he fit as a Free safety?
yes
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
no
45%
 45%  [ 16 ]
stop making threads
51%
 51%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 35

Packerraymond

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hayward will fit into Charles' position before he had to move to safety. That DB who is almost like a nickle linebacker, always moving around one the LOS. Instincts like his don't grow on trees, keep him closer to the ball at the LOS, don't move him further away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUP! The further Hayward gets down field, the less I like him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
How are the Packers "set" at CB? Tramon is getting older and his newfound lack of physicality is disturbing.

Slowpoke's physicality was originally reserved for mugging the receiver when he was able to. Take away Nick Collins to bail him out and add new coverage rules and Slowpoke is useless.

Someone else mentioned Hayward as being more "quick" than "fast" and I completely agree. Hayward's 40 time was .03 seconds faster than Slowpoke's which seriously concerned me when we drafted him. However, unlike Slowpoke, Hayward is much more careful and intelligent in space than Slowpoke. Hopefully we don't get a sophomore slump from Hayward.

If there's any CB I'd move back to Safety, it'd probably be House.

You can make all these posts about Tramon being this awful CB, doesn't make it true. He has the ability to take a #1 WR out of the game.

Even if he his best days are behind him, Tramon combined with Shields, Hayward, and House has to be one of the best CB groups in the league.

Definitely do not take Hayward out of that group, though.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
House would be a much better candidate to move to S then Hayward. Hayward and Shileds are by far our best CB's neither is moving anywhere.

Agreed. I think Hayward is a much better CB than he would be a Safety. I think he could be a decent safety, maybe elite at some point due to his seeming football IQ, but I think CB is the best place to put him to get his best out of him.

But you don't move a guy like House. He has a damn good skill set. Good hips, good strength, good size. Why tinker around with it? Keep that trio together and let them do their thing with their god-given abilities.

All this moving talk is stupid.
House is a physical, and big, DB. If we don't upgrade the S position opposite Burnett, House may be the best option to get the best 5 DB's on the field. Love House and his skill set and think he develops into a starting CB but if he needs to move to get our best DBs on the field, then I think he's the best candidate. The ideal scenerio would be McMillian developing or picking a S in the 1st or 2nd round that can contribute right away.

Kempes on the custom sig!
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spitballing here: I like the move to get House into the lineup, but I feel he does better when he can run with the WR and be physical. Almost would seem like a shame to put him at Safety.

Something nobody is mentioning, is the possibility that Shields could move to Safety if Heyward and House really come on strong again.

Shields definitely cemented himself as our #2 this year, but the kid has wheels and great ball skills. If he could handle zone a little better he would have all the fixings of a Nick Collins. Would probably need to add a few lbs in order to tackle with the best of them though from that position.

Again, this is only hinging on keeping Williams, and if House and Heyward both make strides this offseason. They both seem like very natural corners to me. Good guys to have at the LOS.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
palmy50

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackers79 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
How are the Packers "set" at CB? Tramon is getting older and his newfound lack of physicality is disturbing.

Slowpoke's physicality was originally reserved for mugging the receiver when he was able to. Take away Nick Collins to bail him out and add new coverage rules and Slowpoke is useless.

Someone else mentioned Hayward as being more "quick" than "fast" and I completely agree. Hayward's 40 time was .03 seconds faster than Slowpoke's which seriously concerned me when we drafted him. However, unlike Slowpoke, Hayward is much more careful and intelligent in space than Slowpoke. Hopefully we don't get a sophomore slump from Hayward.

If there's any CB I'd move back to Safety, it'd probably be House.

You can make all these posts about Tramon being this awful CB, doesn't make it true. He has the ability to take a #1 WR out of the game.

Even if he his best days are behind him, Tramon combined with Shields, Hayward, and House has to be one of the best CB groups in the league.

Definitely do not take Hayward out of that group, though.

I just find it funny because Williams ran 4.46 ON GRASS for a host of hands before the draft that year. He had a sub par pro-day(4.57). It happens! Small school kid that did not have a speed coach.

I'm not saying speed is the end all be all at the CB position because that's clearly not the case. But Williams is clearly faster than Hayward.

Just sayin. Man is no damn "slowpoke". Sure as hell fast enough to play CB in the NFL. Even more so with the fit at hand. Great all around athlete really. It's been said that Williams can put on one hell of a slam dunk show. Man is 5 frickin 11.

I just think it's the Greg Jennings thing all over again. Jennings ran high 4.4's before the draft and fell a click because of it. Small school kid that did not go to a speed camp though. That was a true sub 4.5 WR right there. Sub 4.5 was fast 20 years ago and it still is today! Just watch him run by guys that ran 4.4 at the combine after weeks of work at the Johnson speed camp.. Laughing

That thing has come back around because the cost has come down for said camps and they all do it today. Back then though, it was a different story.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey Heyward statistically was either the top or one of the top CB's in the NFL this year, so why would anyone even suggest he move to safety. His interceptions, passes defensed, knockdowns was outstanding so he is definitely a top CB in the league and those are hard to find. The Packers need to find a safety, not convert a true CB. The experiment this year with Charles didn't turn out too well so the team needs to go find that safety or develop one of young guys they have. I personally didn't have any real problems with either McMillian or Jennings this year and thought both played well at times, and both are very young.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Casey Heyward statistically was either the top or one of the top CB's in the NFL this year, so why would anyone even suggest he move to safety. His interceptions, passes defensed, knockdowns was outstanding so he is definitely a top CB in the league and those are hard to find. The Packers need to find a safety, not convert a true CB. The experiment this year with Charles didn't turn out too well so the team needs to go find that safety or develop one of young guys they have. I personally didn't have any real problems with either McMillian or Jennings this year and thought both played well at times, and both are very young.

I tell ya, I go back in forth with this one myself. I would love to see how those two might develop. Adding another stud like Burnett sure looks like a good idea also though. After thinking about this one a great deal I think I would be looking for a talent lean come draft day. I feel this staff did a GREAT job with what they had last year and it could develop. If not though, I'm not sure I love that combo long term. Think I lean this way because I'm not real sure McMillian will ever be a plus-play down field. If one of Burnett or Jennings were to go down............

In short, I would be looking for a safety talent in this class that can excel DOWN FIELD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: