Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Senior Bowl thoughts...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LW33

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Senior Bowl thoughts... Reply with quote

The guard Worfford(sp.) from Kentucky looked very very good today. So did the RB from Florida and Trufant from Washington.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what i posted in the College Prospects thread...

1. Ezekiel Ansah is the top defensive player in this draft. Prior to the Senior Bowl i had only seen highlights and read about him and even then i ranked him as a guy that i would select around the top 10 in the draft about a month ago. Having watched him live today and his physical skill set + motor and hustle he would be under consideration for the #1 pick if i had to make the selection. Right now he is playing purely off of his physical skills and his hustle and was easily the best and most dangerous football player on the field. He'll need some development, but with some coaching up he can be one of the most disruptive and dominant DE's in the NFL + he will come with some versatility and has room to add some weight to his 6'5" 275 pound frame.

2. I was wrong about Margus Hunt. I had him rated slightly higher than Ansah a month ago after watching a single game of his and reading about him, but it is clear he doesn't have the explosive first step or athleticism to warrant that type of grade. I don't think he is a bad prospect and i'd probably still take him in the late 2nd round, but he isn't anywhere close to being in Ansah's class.

3. Outside of Ansah and Hunt i wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to the DL, but did notice that Kawann Short and Jordan Hill seemed to be beating blockers and making plays.

4. As a whole it seemed like the defensive lines of both teams were consistently beating the OL's. Having to watch the game at a bar from a bit of a distance i found it hard to judge how well offensive lineman were playing.

5. On a similar note, with the DL's beating the OL's so badly + having poor QB play i found it difficult to judge WR's and DB's. Though i will say Marquise Goodwin intrigues me. He is a bit undersized, but it was obvious that they wanted to get the ball in his hands and he will reportedly run in the 4.3's in the 40. I also thought he looked pretty natural as a receiver, which means he isn't just a track star.

6. The only LB that stood out to me was Florida St. LB Vince Williams. I think there will be questions about his ability to cover and he likely won't be a 3 down player, but he was the only LB constantly around the football and making plays at the LOS.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:

1. Ezekiel Ansah is the top defensive player in this draft. Having watched him live today and his physical skill set + motor and hustle he would be under consideration for the #1 pick if i had to make the selection.

Wow. Laughing
McRaider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:

1. Ezekiel Ansah is the top defensive player in this draft. Prior to the Senior Bowl i had only seen highlights and read about him and even then i ranked him as a guy that i would select around the top 10 in the draft about a month ago. Having watched him live today and his physical skill set + motor and hustle he would be under consideration for the #1 pick if i had to make the selection. Right now he is playing purely off of his physical skills and his hustle and was easily the best and most dangerous football player on the field. He'll need some development, but with some coaching up he can be one of the most disruptive and dominant DE's in the NFL + he will come with some versatility and has room to add some weight to his 6'5" 275 pound frame.

2. I was wrong about Margus Hunt. I had him rated slightly higher than Ansah a month ago after watching a single game of his and reading about him, but it is clear he doesn't have the explosive first step or athleticism to warrant that type of grade. I don't think he is a bad prospect and i'd probably still take him in the late 2nd round, but he isn't anywhere close to being in Ansah's class.

3. Outside of Ansah and Hunt i wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to the DL, but did notice that Kawann Short and Jordan Hill seemed to be beating blockers and making plays.

4. As a whole it seemed like the defensive lines of both teams were consistently beating the OL's. Having to watch the game at a bar from a bit of a distance i found it hard to judge how well offensive lineman were playing.

5. On a similar note, with the DL's beating the OL's so badly + having poor QB play i found it difficult to judge WR's and DB's. Though i will say Marquise Goodwin intrigues me. He is a bit undersized, but it was obvious that they wanted to get the ball in his hands and he will reportedly run in the 4.3's in the 40. I also thought he looked pretty natural as a receiver, which means he isn't just a track star.

6. The only LB that stood out to me was Florida St. LB Vince Williams. I think there will be questions about his ability to cover and he likely won't be a 3 down player, but he was the only LB constantly around the football and making plays at the LOS.
Margus Hunt does show off the sluggish jogger type like werner & ansah looks like a JPP but is going to be a project type. i doubt ansah will fall to 28 anyways. wouldn't denver go secondary in the first or BPA?
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:

Im on your wavelength with Ansah. Loved him coming into this week and yesterday did nothing to change that. Id trade up for him in a heartbeat.

As for Hunt, while I agree he isnt even in the same breath as Ansah, I believe hes still worth a late-1st pick. I said it before, hes better off putting on about 20 pounds and playing inside. I love his toughness and strength at the POA but as you said he lacks speed on the edge.

Kawaan Short played great, hes a 1st round lock. Stepfan Taylor showed he should be the 3rd back drafted (behind Ellington and Lacey). Kenjon Barner showed he can adjust to many offenses and produce fast. Denard Robinson should be a late round pick, I thought he wouldnt get drafted. Datone Jones should go day 2.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed watching tapes on the first half of the Senior bowl and agree with most of the opinions written in the forum.
I saw a lot of good players in the game but only one great player, IMO.
Ansah show a lot for a player with 9 or 10 games starting experence. I want to see who started ahead of him in college??? He must have been awesome! lol
I have been a fan of Trufant all season and wasn't disappointed with his play Saturday. There were several other DB's that showed well also.
Several DT's looked very good but none looked "special". If Short gave 100% on every play I would think of him as "special" but I really don't think he does. There were seveal other really good DT's not in this game that I would probably rank ahead of him. I look for him to go late 1st or early second round. If Denver decides to trade out of the first into the early 2nd round again, he might be a great target for them.
I believe the difference in the quality of player selected with the 10th pick of the first round and the middle of the second round will be pretty close. That is why it is important to take the BPA and not draft for need in this draft. DT and CB's are pretty deep in this draft as are OL. QB's suck in this draft. I think the QB Denver took in the 2nd round last year is better than any of the QB's coming out this season.
Overall this is a deep draft with very few "can't miss" prospects, IMO. Teams are going to have to work a little harder but there will be some "steals" in the late rounds and UNFA's. There always are!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Broncos7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Safety Shaun Williams from Georgia. He is a big DB, but moves pretty well in space. Would be a good 3 to 5 round pick. The guy I really liked was RB Mike Gillislee from Florida. The tape I have seen shows decent power and great speed. He has limited wear on his legs and reminds me of Jamal Charles. He is worth a 2nd round pick and could go higher if he blows up the combine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: