Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LITC's Personal Vikings Mock-Offseason (V1.0)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: LITC's Personal Vikings Mock-Offseason (V1.0) Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Thanks in advance for indulging me. Laughing

It's a boring Saturday here, and I just realized it's been forever since I put together a mock based just on what I would like to see happen this off-season-- not Mr. Spielman.

So here it is, my attempt at a full mock-offseason simply based off my whims and how I would approach it.

Also: I apologize for any similarities to the many good mocks floating around this forum. If they exist, they're simply because the ideas you put forth are just too darn good. Cool

Here goes:

LITC'S 2013 VIKINGS MOCK OFF-SEASON (V1.0) 1/26/2013

UFA PLAYERS RE-SIGNED:

FB Jerome Felton
OT Phil Loadholt
OG Geoff Schwartz
C Joe Berger
LB Jasper Brinkley
LB Marvin Mitchell
S Jamarca Sanford

FREE AGENTS SIGNED:

WR Brian Hartline (from MIA)
P Dustin Colquitt (from KC)

NOTES: No need to make a huge splash here. We're fully committed to building through the draft.

TRADE(S):

MINNESOTA trades WR Percy Harvin to NEW ENGLAND for their 2nd round selection (#59 overall) and QB Ryan Mallett.

NOTES: Belichick sees an opportunity and takes it. While most of us would like to get more for Harvin, this deal nets us another early pick and solidifies the QB position without wasting a draft pick and development time. With Mallett lurking, Ponder will be on a very short leash.

DRAFT:

(1) #23: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
(2) #54: Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
(2) #59: Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State
(3) #85: Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
(4) #101: Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International
(4) #119: Nickell Roby, CB, USC
(5) #150: Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia
(7) #199: Sam Brenner, OG, Utah
(7) #215: Terrence Brown, CB, Stanford

NOTES: My goals for this draft were pretty simple: 1) A complete rebuild of the WR corps, highlighted by taking two big, tough, physical specimens to pair with a precision player and route runner like Brian Hartline 2) Improve the interior of the defensive line and build for the future 3) Replace Erin Henderson 4) Continue the rebuild of the secondary by finding a starting caliber Strong Safety and building depth at both slot and outside Cornerback.

ALSO: Obviously, draft positioning is extremely fluid right now, so a few of these picks might be considered wishful thinking. Ultimately, I believe Cyprien and Geathers go slightly higher. I do feel that Da'Rick Rogers has enough character concerns to drop to the 3rd, however, and I believe that linebackers will continue with the traditional trend of undervaluing, making Brown available to us in the late 2nd.

STARTERS:

QB Christian Ponder
HB Adrian Peterson
FB Jerome Felton
WR Brian Hartline
WR DeAndre Hopkins
TE Kyle Rudolph
LT Matt Kalil
LG Charlie Johnson
C John Sullivan
RG Brandon Fusco
RT Phil Loadholt

LE Brian Robison
DT Kawann Short
DT Letroy Guion
RE Jared Allen
LOLB Arthur Brown
MLB Jasper Brinkley
ROLB Chad Greenway
CB Antoine Winfield
CB Chris Cook
FS Harrison Smith
SS Jonathan Cyprien

K Blair Walsh
P Dustin Colquitt
LS Cullen Loeffler

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: LITC's Personal Vikings Mock-Offseason (V1.0) Reply with quote

i love ya, man, but certain parts of this mock leave me in the cold. particularly this one:

LoverInTheCold wrote:
MINNESOTA trades WR Percy Harvin to NEW ENGLAND for their 2nd round selection (#59 overall) and QB Ryan Mallett.

NOTES: Belichick sees an opportunity and takes it. While most of us would like to get more for Harvin, this deal nets us another early pick and solidifies the QB position without wasting a draft pick and development time. With Mallett lurking, Ponder will be on a very short leash.

i don't think NE would do that trade, they're paying too much. add to that, FF Patriot fans do not think highly of Mallett. if he hasn't progressed under Belichick and Brady, i doubt he will in Minny.

i do like the college guys you drafted though.

Applause

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: LITC's Personal Vikings Mock-Offseason (V1.0) Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i love ya, man, but certain parts of this mock leave me in the cold. particularly this one:

LoverInTheCold wrote:

i don't think NE would do that trade, they're paying too much. add to that, FF Patriot fans do not think highly of Mallett. if he hasn't progressed under Belichick and Brady, i doubt he will in Minny.

i do like the college guys you drafted though.

Applause

No prob, VD. I totally get where you're coming from. I just don't see any viable options via FA. I'm not comfortable paying Matt Moore what he'll command, and Thigpen and Stanton just don't do anything for me.

Ultimately, I think there's some upside to Mallett. And at worst, he's going to be a guy who can come in and win you a few games. He won't rock the boat, but he'll be enough to keep Ponder looking over his shoulder.

But at the end of the day, I think you're right. I don't see it happening. So I don't think it's anything for either or any of us to get worked up about.

Just the most reasonable solution I could come up with at the moment.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
chuck44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with others I doubt Ne does that trade....anyways I think Mallet ends up in Cleveland...mike lombardi the new gm was in love with mallet coming out...already been alot of Rumours about it.

Dont see why people are so high on Hartline..watched him 4 years here in columbus for the Buckeyes...not impressed

No OG help which is imperative...a 7thrd choice wont cut it.

Absolutely Love the draft...you have four guys i would target.

LOve Da'Rick Rodgers , You cant question his talent...lit up the SEC...could be the next Michael Irvin...very similar skills...Big, Strong, willing to take a hit...not a true burner,but can get downfield

Love Kawan short and Kwame Geathers...if we get both of those i would be ecstatic...our defensibe line would be set for years

Deandre Hopkins remonds me of steve smith or santonio holmes....pair him with Da'Rick Rodgers would make me happy

Arthur Brown sure has physical skills...been some questions about him...but he is strong and fast...something we lack at LB right now....good pick although i think he will be boom or bust

Cyprien goyt high marks at senior bowl....Mayock says he goes alot higher..but who knows like the pick

Roby is a guy that i just dont see as a fit for our team...Usc lists him at 5 8 165....which means he probably is 5 7 ...with all the big receivers in our division...just cant see him getting the job done

Overall very good job...you hit every need except OG...with some big talent and reasonable picks
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NE doesnt do that trade.

Overall good mock.

You could remove Hopkins pick, and move everyone up and it would be a solid mock/draft/offseason.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't argue with a class that includes Hopkins, Cyprien, and Robey.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Mock where the Ali Brie sig is not my favorite part is an awefully good one Very Happy

I like the idea of signing Hartline assuming he isnt tremendously expensive. I would think he could be had for around 6-8 mil?

I dont mind the New England trade in theory, but so many teams have been burned now by trying to get the backup guys from a super good system (Cassel, Kolb, Flynn) and I would rather not. Getting a 2nd would be solid, but would NE just trade their late 1st for him and not include Mallet? Spielman can smokescreen ppl and generate a market with the best of em.

I like the draft a ton. Hopkins is one of my favs in the draft, as is Short. I think Brown gives us a high quality 3 down guy and even though I think he is a pure ILB, he would be inside alot in nickel.

Rodgers scares the hell outta me, but if we have insurance at the spot in case hes a huge [inappropriate/removed] or gets suspended, then its a risk worth taking.

I give it a B+...ah heck with it, Sig makes it an A-
AP_ALL_DAY_28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the draft, but guard should be addressed a lot earlier though.
NCAA: Trojans
NHL: Kings
xDarealx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first off why would Hartline leave Miami, or better yet why would they let him go. Don't see that happening.
Roby why? So many other options in the 4th why him.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care that NE wouldn't do that trade, because I wouldn't if I were the Vikings' GM. To me, that's an awful trade, because I don't see the upside in Mallett that others seem to. He's got the Jay Cutler attitude without the talent to back it up.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I don't care that NE wouldn't do that trade, because I wouldn't if I were the Vikings' GM. To me, that's an awful trade, because I don't see the upside in Mallett that others seem to. He's got the Jay Cutler attitude without the talent to back it up.

to mention his former collage substance issues.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: