Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Romeo Crennel makes so much sense for Saints:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Why Romeo Crennel makes so much sense for Saints: Reply with quote

The rumor seems to be that Romeo Crennel is near the top of Sean Payton’s wish list for his next defensive coordinator and theirs good reasons why. While Crennel has failed as a head coach twice in the NFL, he is still regarded as one of the NFL’s best defensive minds especially when it comes to the 34 defense. Crennel is a Bill Parcells disciple (not Belicheck) and understands the Big Tuna’s 2 gap 34 scheme as well as anyone. He’s proven himself as a top notch NFL defensive coordinator and he has the experience that Sean Payton typically looks for at the position.

Crennel’s connection to Parcells should not go unnoticed. Sean Payton still acknowledges that he occasionally seeks the Tuna’s advice on all things concerning football operations. It would be absurd to believe that Payton will not or hasn’t already had discussions with Parcells about all the intricacies of such a major defensive change in philosophy. If Payton values Parcells advice (and we know he does) I’m quite sure that with Crennel available he would be at the top of Parcells suggestion list.

Building this defensive now and into the future will not happen overnight and the Saints will need experienced veteran minds onboard to help in the evaluations of present and future prospects. Those are also the type of coaches needed to attract quality defensive assistants as well. This team will also need to change the way they approach the draft and free agency as well as how they view their current personnel with an unbiased eye. I would not be surprised in the least if Bill Parcells himself was hired as a team consultant during this rebuilding process to help evaluate players and prospects in an effort to collectively rebuild this unit the right way.

Bill Parcells does have a knack for idenifying talent. No he’s not a great GM but as a consultant he could end up being extremely valuable to this organization and their transformation to the 34 defense. The great relationship between Payton and Parcells combined with the relationship between Parcells and Crennel and even Mangini if they are able to land him as well would be monumental in the rebuilding of this scheme.

However, “ya can’t always have your cake and eat it too”!

If this was to happen, not everyone will be pleased about it. Parcells, Crennel and Mangini all employ the “2 gap” 34 defensive scheme. We have all talked about the different types of 34 alignments out there but this is the scheme that they specialize in. In the 2 gap scheme there are current players who just might not or will not translate. Here are some of those players that could be on their way out of the big easy if this happens…

Curtis Lofton
Shocked? Don’t be… If a 2 gap scheme is installed then Lofton could very well be shopped for draft picks. This scheme typically want taller and more athletic inside linebackers and Lofton’s value to this defense could ultimately be via a trade and what the Saints could get in return.

Brodrick Bunkley
In a one gap 34 you’d be pushing it but Bunkley could likely get the job done, not so much in the 2 gap! This is a position in this scheme that becomes the key to the unit. Remember this is an old school 34 scheme where the nose tackle is the centerpiece of the entire unit. They will look for a big body that can penetrate as well as plug up multiple gaps (think Vince Wilfork). While Bunkley is stout and tough, he just doesn’t possess the necessary bulk needed to play in this scheme and he’s not dynamic enough to play on the end either.

Remember, these two guys were Spagnuolo’s guys… they were brought in to help build Spags defense the way he saw fit. Now that Spags is gone, both could likely follow.

Other players sure to be released based solely on the switch to a 2 gap 34 defense includes…

Jonathan Vilma
Will Smith
Roman Harper
David Hawthorne
Sedrick Ellis
Albert Mack
Turk McBride
Ramon Humber
Will Herring

Then again there are players that will greatly benefit from this switch…

Akiem Hicks
Hicks would likely be one of the major building blocks of this new scheme. He would clearly play the Richard Seymour role in this defense and he has the skill set to be as good as Seymour was in it.

Cameron Jordan
At 6’4” 290lbs, Jordan would play the Ty Warren role from the Patriots past in this scheme to best utilize his power and run stuffing ability as well as his ability to get to the quarterback out of the 34 front like he did in his Cal days.

Martez Wilson
All those visions of Tez bursting off the edge like Aldon Smith of the 49ers would likely die here in this switch. The 2 gap 34 typically employs bigger more stout outside edge defenders like Ryan Kerrigan, Tamba Hali & Willie McGennis. Instead Wilson would likely be kicked back to his old college position of inside linebacker to take advantage of his length and speed. Wilson would be the perfect ILB in this scheme to cover the tight ends and backs out of the backfield and while he may not get his shot on the edge, Wilson has experience inside (his natural position) and could develop into something special.

Malcolm Jenkins
Yep, that’s right… Jenkins will remain at FS but the good news is that his duties will be minimized to better suit his skill set. With a much bigger defensive front ahead of him and a much better pressure package from the front seven, Jenkins will be allowed to attack instead of read and react and could see a major jump in production in 2013.

Other players that could benefit from this switch in either a starting or reserve role are…

Junior Galette
Scott Shanle (yep that’s right)
Tyrunn Walker
Isa Abdul-Quddus
Tom Johnson
Jonathan Casillas
Corey White
Pat Robinson
Jabari Greer
Braylon Broughton

So hypothetically speaking, If this change was to happen I could see the defensive depth chart going into free agency looking something like this…

RE – Jordan, Johnson, Walker
NT –
LE – Hicks, Broughton
SLB – Galette
ILB – Wilson, Casillas
ILB – Shanle
WLB –
CB – White
FS – Jenkins, Quddus
SS –
CB – Robinson
NCB – Greer

So as you can see, the Saints would have major work ahead of them but if so they can hopefully free up enough cap room to target some free agents to fill in the gaps before heading into the draft.

Speaking of the draft,

Players that fit the 2 gap scheme best at positions of need that could be worth the 15th pick…

NT
Jonathan Hankins, Ohio State
Jonathan Jenkins, Georgia
Jesse Williams, Alabama

ILB
Alex Ogletree, Georgia

OLB
Sam Montgomery, Louisiana State
Alex Okafor, Texas
Ezekiel Ansah, BYU

SS
Matt Elam, Florida
Eric Reid, Louisiana State
Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

CB
Desmond Trufant, Washington
Dee Milliner, Alabama

Thoughts?

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you bring in a DC that runs a one gap system and practically all the current players fit. Tough choice.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
Or you bring in a DC that runs a one gap system and practically all the current players fit. Tough choice.

While I agree with you that a 1 gap scheme would convert quicker... All the signs point to Romeo.

I personally really dont mind either way but I'll say this, this defense is going to have major turnover either way and some of the depatures are going to shock some Saints fans.

sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

While I agree with you that a 1 gap scheme would convert quicker... All the signs point to Romeo.

I personally really dont mind either way but I'll say this, this defense is going to have major turnover either way and some of the depatures are going to shock some Saints fans.

Btw...excellent write up. Lots of insight for the x and o impaired...like me. Either way...one or two gap...the defense will improve. Finding a NT and OLB without 2nd rounder and no cap space will be tough. Why settle with 2-gap?
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

Btw...excellent write up. Lots of insight for the x and o impaired...like me. Either way...one or two gap...the defense will improve. Finding a NT and OLB without 2nd rounder and no cap space will be tough. Why settle with 2-gap?

That's the question... I think Payton would go 2 gap because that is the scheme that has the top coaches available as well as being able to pick Parcells brain. I think turnover will be high either way, higher for the 2 gap but I guess it depends on if there's a one gap coach out there that convinces payton he can get the job done but my money is on Payton going with the people he feels he can trust.

PS: the Dome Patrol was a 2 gap

101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

That's the question... I think Payton would go 2 gap because that is the scheme that has the top coaches available as well as being able to pick Parcells brain. I think turnover will be high either way, higher for the 2 gap but I guess it depends on if there's a one gap coach out there that convinces payton he can get the job done but my money is on Payton going with the people he feels he can trust.

PS: the Dome Patrol was a 2 gap

Laughing Laughing I keep seeing these references to the Dome Patrol. Let me fill everyone in on this:
We do not have NEAR the talent on our team to even remotely compare what we have to the Dome Patrol.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
64 330 2 62

Keenan Lewis
T PD INT
81 6 1
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we never will but the reference gives hope to the building of the future. No ones saying were gonna have another dome patrol, but I'd be nice to see a scheme that will bring back those fond memories.

simonwayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that he gets all of the money from the next 2 years of his HC contract unless he takes a job elsewhere in those 2 years (then he gets substantially less), so I doubt it will happen. And also, given his age, health, and what he had to go through last year in watching Belcher commit suicide, it makes sense for him to take a break even if he wasn't getting paid during it.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
I saw that he gets all of the money from the next 2 years of his HC contract unless he takes a job elsewhere in those 2 years (then he gets substantially less), so I doubt it will happen. And also, given his age, health, and what he had to go through last year in watching Belcher commit suicide, it makes sense for him to take a break even if he wasn't getting paid during it.

I also heard that his payment on his contract status with the chiefs is effected if he accepts a DC or HC gig...

I also heard that dispite the all that he is still intrested in coaching next year, this maybe what is leading to the Crennel/Mangini duo. Maybe it's Mangini as DC and Crennel as D-line coach.

It would make sense, Mangini is a friend of his and Coaching the D-line would allow him to coach but not have the burden of the DC while not affecting his KC payments.

Time will tell

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rumor... "per rotoworld"

What could be going on with the whole Crennel/Mangini combo is that Mangini has been out of the league for two years now and the Saints could look to bring Romeo in as DC with Mangini part of his staff but eventually Romeo would retire and Mangini would take over.

Quote:
Profootballtalk reports the Saints have "more interest" in Romeo Crennel than Eric Mangini for their defensive-coordinator vacancy.
This piggybacks an early Adam Schefter report that indicated both Crennel and Mangini could wind up with the Saints. Mangini hasn't been on a sideline in two years, so Crennel could be a short-term solution while Mangini eases into the long-term coordinator job. They are both career proponents of the 3-4.

Thoughts?

Raves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:

What could be going on with the whole Crennel/Mangini combo is that Mangini has been out of the league for two years now and the Saints could look to bring Romeo in as DC with Mangini part of his staff but eventually Romeo would retire and Mangini would take over.

Quote:
Profootballtalk reports the Saints have "more interest" in Romeo Crennel than Eric Mangini for their defensive-coordinator vacancy.
This piggybacks an early Adam Schefter report that indicated both Crennel and Mangini could wind up with the Saints. Mangini hasn't been on a sideline in two years, so Crennel could be a short-term solution while Mangini eases into the long-term coordinator job. They are both career proponents of the 3-4.

Thoughts?

That wouldn't be bad, Mangini is a ridiculously good talent evaluator. He might've been bad at coaching, but the man was damn good at building up the NY Jets and Cleveland Browns into legit teams before getting canned before he could finally utilize the talent that the coaches that followed used to make good runs.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:

Quote:

Thoughts?

That wouldn't be bad, Mangini is a ridiculously good talent evaluator. He might've been bad at coaching, but the man was damn good at building up the NY Jets and Cleveland Browns into legit teams before getting canned before he could finally utilize the talent that the coaches that followed used to make good runs.

He did draft Vernon Gholdson though... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: