Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should we find a way to draft a WR in the first few rounds?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Should we find a way to draft a WR in the first few rounds? Reply with quote

Before I get into this, I know we have basically already taken a WR in this draft with Flash Gordon but I feel like we'd be missing a great opportunity to add another great option if we don't dip into this receiver class once more. The problem I see is with what pick could we do that?

Obviously not at 6. I'd like to see our 3rd rounder used on the secondary, probably at S for someone to play alongside TJ. But just throwing around ideas, say we had a few options still there at 6, maybe Lotulelei, Jones, Mingo and Dion Jordan were all still there. And we had the chance to move down a few spots and still get one of them whilst picking up a 2nd. Then use that 2nd on a WR. Would you be angry if we did that?

I don't know how I'd feel about a trade down myself but I do know that I love this WR class.

Keenan Allen
Terrance Williams
Tavon Austin
Steadman Bailey
Cordarelle Patterson
Justin Hunter
Robert Woods
DeAndre Hopkins
Marcus Wheaton
Quinton Patton
Aaron Dobson
Da'Rick Rogers

I see a great chance to grab a guy that falls into the late 2nd, early 3rd. If it's a big guy with speed, pair him up opposite Gordon and have Little in the slot. If it's Tavon Austin, you can put him in the slot with Little and have Gordon and Benji on the outside in four wide sets. Another young guy with talent would give us a lot of creativity and give Weeden and his strong arm it's best chance to succeed. Thoughts?

Last edited by poorbytehshore on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefer to add experiance to the WR position rather than youth IMO.

Going FA WR is a better option.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
mas_atc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
Prefer to add experiance to the WR position rather than youth IMO.

Going FA WR is a better option.

I'm with DawgSoldier with this. If we brought back Cribbs, he would be our "veteran", and well, yeah... Not that he cannot contribute as a mentor, but I want somebody that has been successful as a WR that can come in and contribute and mentor. Although, I really like the idea of bringing Hartline, and he has only been in the league for 4 years (Cribbs 8 years).
duke2056

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much much MUCH rather add a good FA WR this year.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use that capspace to sign Greg Jennings?
Ether

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Mike Furrey at these days?
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poorbytehshore wrote:

yes and yes or spend a little less on a solid guy like Brian Hartline.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
poorbytehshore wrote:

yes and yes or spend a little less on a solid guy like Brian Hartline.

At this point in Jennings career I would prefer Hartline over Jennings as there is more tread on the tire and not such an injury history.

That and Jennings had the one of the best QB's in the NFL throwing to him and looked pretty good. Hartline Had tannehill throwing to him and no real wr talent around him and set a franchise record.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the browns could find an extra draft pick I'd rather get a WR in the draft than FA.

Everyone being all hot and bothered by Jennings seems a bit silly to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
If the browns could find an extra draft pick I'd rather get a WR in the draft than FA.

So you'd advocate adding two WRs in the first few rounds?

Just so we're clear, we've already used our 2nd round pick on a WR. Another WR in the first few rounds would mean 2 of the top 3 picks in the 2013 draft allocated to the WR position.

I think the WRs we have are fine with an added free agent.

The offensive and defensive tackle classes are stacked this year too. I don't see us drafting either of those in the first few rounds, either.

The good news is, with all these positions stacked someone very good at a position of need is going to slide to our 3rd round pick.

The bad news is, Lombardi will take a punter or kicker with our 3rd round pick.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Just so we're clear, we've already used our 2nd round pick on a WR. Another WR in the first few rounds would mean 2 of the top 3 picks in the 2013 draft allocated to the WR position.

The offensive and defensive tackle classes are stacked this year too. I don't see us drafting either of those in the first few rounds, either.

The good news is, with all these positions stacked someone very good at a position of need is going to slide to our 3rd round pick.

Essentially yes as both picks would come from the same draft year, but we all know that is not a clear representation as Gordon already has his rookie season wit the Browns under his belt.

I like the current group of WRs on the team, but Cribbs should be gone, and Norwood and MoMass likely gone as well. WR must be addressed though FA or the Draft in this case, and if possible I'd rather look to the draft than FA for reasons we all know.

The team may very well address DT in the first round depending upon how they feel about the current groups transition, but not OT obviously in the first few rounds.. It has nothing to do with the draft class being stacked, it rather the state of the current roster.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks to drafting one that high. The Browns have too many other needs.

Cleveland's WR should be fine. They're just young and inexperienced. Gordon & Little look like they could be good starters. Benjamin, Cooper and even MoMass seem like solid contributors.

I wouldn't mind adding a FA WR like Hartline, though.

Smack on the sig.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Essentially yes as both picks would come from the same draft year, but we all know that is not a clear representation as Gordon already has his rookie season wit the Browns under his belt.

I like the current group of WRs on the team, but Cribbs should be gone, and Norwood and MoMass likely gone as well. WR must be addressed though FA or the Draft in this case, and if possible I'd rather look to the draft than FA for reasons we all know.

The team may very well address DT in the first round depending upon how they feel about the current groups transition, but not OT obviously in the first few rounds.. It has nothing to do with the draft class being stacked, it rather the state of the current roster.

It is a clear representation. We used our 2013 2nd round pick a year early on a WR. Doesn't get much clearer. Sure, he won't be a rookie in 2013, but the asset of the 2013 2nd round pick was still used on the position any way you look at it.

The team would be foolish to address the DT position in the first round. We drafted 2 DTs in the first few rounds the past 2 seasons, and got a late-round gem with Winn. Also, we have Ahtyba Rubin signed through 2014 and have Rucker in the mix also.

Very doubtful we go DT anywhere in the draft, actually. Need is so much greater at OLB, TE, CB and FS to even consider a DT, OT or especially WR in the first two picks.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

The team may very well address DT in the first round depending upon how they feel about the current groups transitions, but not OT obviously in the first few rounds.. It has nothing to do with the draft class being stacked, it rather the state of the current roster.

It is a clear representation. We used our 2013 2nd round pick a year early on a WR. Doesn't get much clearer. Sure, he won't be a rookie in 2013, but the asset of the 2013 2nd round pick was still used on the position any way you look at it.

The team would be foolish to address the DT position in the first round. We drafted 2 DTs in the first few rounds the past 2 seasons, and got a late-round gem with Winn. Also, we have Ahtyba Rubin signed through 2014 and have Rucker in the mix also.

Very doubtful we go DT anywhere in the draft, actually. Need is so much greater at OLB, TE, CB and FS to even consider a DT, OT or especially WR in the first two picks.

I care more about the roster and building a winning team than what draft picks came from what year.

As far as DT, apparently you skipped over the part of me saying that it depends on how the new staff feels about how the current players on the DL transition? I know my Grammar was not the greatest in the above post (typing on my iPad doesn't help), but I think the point is pretty clear. You may feel they all transition just fine and that in your opinion it would be foolish to draft a DL in the 1st, but to entirely discount the possibility is .... Well, foolish.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
No thanks to drafting one that high. The Browns have too many other needs.

Cleveland's WR should be fine. They're just young and inexperienced. Gordon & Little look like they could be good starters. Benjamin, Cooper and even MoMass seem like solid contributors.

I wouldn't mind adding a FA WR like Hartline, though.

MoMass won't be resigned. We will sign very few of our FA's and he is not one of them. This is a fresh start and you don't do that by keeping all your FA's. I would like to keep, Dawson, Cribbs, Brown and Watson but I'm not sure if we keep even that many.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: