Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ballin' Bears Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topwop1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Ballin' Bears Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Bears Mock Offseason

Re-sign

Henry Melton
Lance Louis
Nate Collins
Israel Idonije
DJ Moore
Nick Roach
Jonathan Scott
Johnny Knox (brought back to camp provided he is healthy enough on a 1-year prove it deal)
Armando Allen
Cheta Ozougwu

Cuts/Notable non re-signs

Kellen Davis (Sorry, not sorry)
Matt Toeaina
Edwin Williams

Brian Urlacher (Sorry Lach but it’s time to move in a different direction)
Jason Campbell
Chris Spencer
Amobi Okoye

Free Agency

LT – Jake Long

Hear me out. Yes, will break the bank. Yes, hasn’t played all that well and has been marred by injuries the past two seasons but this guy is a franchise LT who fits in well with the new coaching staff and identity in Chicago. It’s rare that a player of this caliber reaches the open market (think Julius Peppers a few years back). Jay needs a guy he can trust protecting his blind side and Long = upgrade over J’Marcus Webb.

TE – Jared Cook

Much needed young and dynamic tight end added to help create mismatches against opposing defenses and to provide a solid red zone target for Jay.

QB - Tarvaris Jackson

Has starting experience in the NFL and more specifically the NFC North. Is mobile and will come cheap unlike Jason Campbell. Could be a nice change of pace backup with Trestman on board.

Draft

Round 1 –Bears select

LB Alec Ogletree - Georgia

Round 2 –Bears select

OG Larry Warford - Kentucky

Round 4 –Bears select

WR Josh Boyce - TCU

Round 5 –Bears select

DT Cory Grisson – South Florida

Round 6 –Bears select

CB Terry Hawthorne - Illinois

Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - but I can't justify 10 million per, and 20+ million guaranteed to Jake Long after seeing the back-to-back seasons he just put together. He was bad. I'd rather keep Webb on his minimum wage deal at LT than sign Long for that kind of money.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Sorry - but I can't justify 10 million per, and 20+ million guaranteed to Jake Long after seeing the back-to-back seasons he just put together. He was bad. I'd rather keep Webb on his minimum wage deal at LT than sign Long for that kind of money.

Agreed.
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The back issue is very worry some with Jake Long. He seems very very risky and that's a lot of $$$ to invest into a player with back problems. The Jared Cook pickup is intriguing, gives us flexibility in the draft as well as a TE who can make plays.

Warford is growing on me and I'd be stoked if the Bears could get him. Solid scenario.

2013 Adopt a Bear: LT Jermon Bushrod#74
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake long is a broken down horse at this point.

That is 17 million in free agency [Long 10], [Cook 5] and [Jackson 2] if you add in 7-8 million for Melton that is already 25 million.
topwop1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I get your concerns about the amount of money Long would command but I think it's less of a gamble then continuing to rely on Webb being the long term answer at LT or spending a mid to late 1st round the pick on a raw tackle from the collegiate ranks and hoping that Kromer will develop that player into a stud LT.

You guys might then point to other guys like Bushrod and Albert being better options in FA but to me Bushrod is just average and not much better than Webb. Albert has the same injury concerns as Long and won't be much cheaper. And Clady certainly isn't going any where away from Denver. Long is the most realistic possibility and when healthy he is a top-5 LT in the NFL.

Seeing as how the majority so far don't like the Long addition replace him with an FA tackle of your choice or stay status quo at that position with Webb and tell me what you think of the rest of the additions.
Bears54

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

NO!!!!!!

To much of a risk for the amount money Jake Long is going to want. If we could get him for a deal, lets say something around 5 years, $35 million...Then maybe I would consider it.....his agent is going to have a hard time getting top dollar for him considering his past performance the last 2 years and his history of injury.

But I rather much sign Patriots RT Sebastian Vollmer. Have you seen this guy in the playoffs???? He is a dominant RT. He destroyed the LE almost every game. I would love to have him play RT for us and then maybe draft a 1st round LT or sign a 2nd tier like LT like Sam Baker or Andre Smith who I believe are both upgrades over Webb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: