Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals sign former Bills, Jets LB Aaron Maybin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 18666
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
I am basing this off of my experiences with him. His rookie year, he didn't take TC seriously, he goofed off and did not work hard. Then I beleive his second year with the Bills he weighed in at around 225-230 pounds. For an DE/OLB that is ridiculous. On top of that, he wasn't a good teammate, I remember a particular practise where he didn't play well at all, and then after Freddy broke off a nice run as was slowing it down, Maybin comes from behind and smokes him -then celebrates.

Not a sarcastic question: did you play for the Bills? Or work for them in some capacity where you had access to practice?
_________________


Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 16213
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Bengals love former first round picks. Almost our entire secondary is former first round picks: Leon Hall, Adam Jones, Terence Newman, Reggie Nelson, Nate Clements...


Yeah, good thing is that Zimmer and the DB coach maximizes the talent out of former picks.


It is. Maybin is an odd fit though. We like our DE's around 280 lbs. Maybin is what 240? 250 now maybe?

Really hope we don't try to make him a 4-3 OLB...


could he play the Von Miller role?


From what I'm reading now, that's exactly what he's going to do. Play 4-3 SAM and then on pass rushing downs play some DE.

We'll see how it goes. So far the players we've tried that with (Ahmad Brooks, Manny Lawson, Dontay Moch - granted he just can't get on the field,etc...), it hasn't work out...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldfishwars


Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 8567
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem Maybin is back? Lock up your Quarterbacks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 3642
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
I am basing this off of my experiences with him. His rookie year, he didn't take TC seriously, he goofed off and did not work hard. Then I beleive his second year with the Bills he weighed in at around 225-230 pounds. For an DE/OLB that is ridiculous. On top of that, he wasn't a good teammate, I remember a particular practise where he didn't play well at all, and then after Freddy broke off a nice run as was slowing it down, Maybin comes from behind and smokes him -then celebrates.

Not a sarcastic question: did you play for the Bills? Or work for them in some capacity where you had access to practice?


The Bills hold a lot of open practices (and closed ones for season ticket holders) which I have been very fortunate to attend over the years.
_________________


I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 18666
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
theJ wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
I am basing this off of my experiences with him. His rookie year, he didn't take TC seriously, he goofed off and did not work hard. Then I beleive his second year with the Bills he weighed in at around 225-230 pounds. For an DE/OLB that is ridiculous. On top of that, he wasn't a good teammate, I remember a particular practise where he didn't play well at all, and then after Freddy broke off a nice run as was slowing it down, Maybin comes from behind and smokes him -then celebrates.

Not a sarcastic question: did you play for the Bills? Or work for them in some capacity where you had access to practice?


The Bills hold a lot of open practices (and closed ones for season ticket holders) which I have been very fortunate to attend over the years.

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm always skeptical about these signings, and now i'm really skeptical. But, i'm sure Mikey will get on him from day one. Either the screaming will straighten him out like it did for Pacman and Vontaze, or he'll be gone as fast as Derrick Harvey was.
_________________


Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29095
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Same reason they signed Derrick Harvey and Jamaal Anderson last offseason. See if they can regain some mojo under Mike Zimmer. If not, camp body.

Harvey turned out to be a body, Anderson produced until he got hurt.
The Bengals have arguably the most simplistic scouting/personnel system in the league, and yet, it seems to work out for them. Whereas other teams spend a ton of money investing in scouting infrastructure, Mike Brown has never invested all that much in it (and has never even bothered hiring a GM); if I'm not mistaken, the Bengals only hired a full scouting staff very recently, right? They always seem to be the team to pick up those highly touted Mel Kiper/draftnik players who drop in the draft (Michael Johnson comes to mind, Vontaze Burfict as well), which is on the one hand almost lazy scouting but on the other hand seems like a deliberate strategy. Same goes for the way in which they operate the waiver wire: seek out former 1st round picks like Harvey, Anderson, and Maybin with the thought that they've got some talent stowed away somewhere and could be useful reclamation projects.

And yet, that seemingly spendthrift or simplistic strategy has been working for them in a lot of cases. To me, it's got to be because of Mike Zimmer, and it continues to blow my mind that no one hires him as a head coach. He just seems like a great coach. How Mike Brown has managed to hide Zimmer in plain sight every offseason while inferior coaches get HC jobs continues to confuse me.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 3642
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
theJ wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
I am basing this off of my experiences with him. His rookie year, he didn't take TC seriously, he goofed off and did not work hard. Then I beleive his second year with the Bills he weighed in at around 225-230 pounds. For an DE/OLB that is ridiculous. On top of that, he wasn't a good teammate, I remember a particular practise where he didn't play well at all, and then after Freddy broke off a nice run as was slowing it down, Maybin comes from behind and smokes him -then celebrates.

Not a sarcastic question: did you play for the Bills? Or work for them in some capacity where you had access to practice?


The Bills hold a lot of open practices (and closed ones for season ticket holders) which I have been very fortunate to attend over the years.

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm always skeptical about these signings, and now i'm really skeptical. But, i'm sure Mikey will get on him from day one. Either the screaming will straighten him out like it did for Pacman and Vontaze, or he'll be gone as fast as Derrick Harvey was.


You're welcome.

I'd like to say maybe Maybin can turn it around finally, but he was suppose to do that with the Jets. people said if anyone can get the most out of him Its Rex. Now they say the same for Zimmer. My guess is, unless there are a tonne of injuries where you need him for depth, Maybin won't be on the opening day roster.
_________________


I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 18666
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
I'd like to say maybe Maybin can turn it around finally, but he was suppose to do that with the Jets. people said if anyone can get the most out of him Its Rex. Now they say the same for Zimmer. My guess is, unless there are a tonne of injuries where you need him for depth, Maybin won't be on the opening day roster.

Well, Rex isn't really known for turning players around. He got the most out of a couple teams, but doesn't recycle players well.

Zimmer has been instrumental in turning around the careers of: Adam Jones, Terrence Newman, Reggie Nelson, Chris Crocker, and probably a few more that i'm forgetting. He also got useful time out of Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, Vontaze Burfict, Tank Johnson and Jamaal Anderson.

But, i understand the skepticism. I too am skeptical. They've missed on some guys too that were brought in under similar circumstances. So we'll just have to wait and see how this particular instance turns out.
_________________


Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 18666
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
The Bengals have arguably the most simplistic scouting/personnel system in the league, and yet, it seems to work out for them. Whereas other teams spend a ton of money investing in scouting infrastructure, Mike Brown has never invested all that much in it (and has never even bothered hiring a GM); if I'm not mistaken, the Bengals only hired a full scouting staff very recently, right? They always seem to be the team to pick up those highly touted Mel Kiper/draftnik players who drop in the draft (Michael Johnson comes to mind, Vontaze Burfict as well), which is on the one hand almost lazy scouting but on the other hand seems like a deliberate strategy. Same goes for the way in which they operate the waiver wire: seek out former 1st round picks like Harvey, Anderson, and Maybin with the thought that they've got some talent stowed away somewhere and could be useful reclamation projects.

And yet, that seemingly spendthrift or simplistic strategy has been working for them in a lot of cases. To me, it's got to be because of Mike Zimmer, and it continues to blow my mind that no one hires him as a head coach. He just seems like a great coach. How Mike Brown has managed to hide Zimmer in plain sight every offseason while inferior coaches get HC jobs continues to confuse me.

They expanded their scouting department sometime in the last few years, yes. Your whole post is pretty spot on, IMO.

I don't know that their draft strategy is necessarily to grab guys that Kiper likes or w/e (and i know you're not suggesting that necessarily), but they do like to grab guys that fall because of fixable issues. Sometimes that's an arrest as a 19 year old kid, sometimes it's because people claim they have motor issues (Michael Johnson), or sometimes it's because they appear lazy or unmotivated (Vontaze). That's really been their defensive MO since Zimmer took over. They don't really do that on offense too much.

As far as the reason Zimmer can't hired, it's pretty simple. He's a blunt guy. Reportedly he always directly confronts ownership about their team building strategy, which is taken as an insult. Only, that direct confrontational style is what makes Zimmer a great coach. It's going to take an ownership that can swallow their pride to make him the HC. So far there haven't been any out there. I hope there never are. Teams that can keep coordinators around for a long time see great success (see: Pittsburgh).
_________________


Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Philly


Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 42592
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to hire Zimmer as a HC someday, he's what a franchise needs.
_________________


simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies


#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13060
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Bengals love former first round picks.

I swear every player on the Bengals roster is either:
-a former first round pick
-from the SEC
-has "off field issues"
Is there some damn code that you guys use to pick these guys?
_________________
Pugger wrote:
Pugger? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Thelonebillsfan


Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 10570
Location: In the ether
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
I would love to hire Zimmer as a HC someday, he's what a franchise needs.


I wanted him as the Bills HC real bad, I'm still shocked Bruce Arians got a job before he did. I guess he interviews poorly? Which to me, is always an idiotic reason not to hire someone to be your teams HC.

If the guy can coach, hire him, don't worry about how much you like him or how "personable" he is.
_________________
Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JMG


Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 3141
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Bengals love former first round picks. Almost our entire secondary is former first round picks: Leon Hall, Adam Jones, Terence Newman, Reggie Nelson, Nate Clements...


Yeah, good thing is that Zimmer and the DB coach maximizes the talent out of former picks.


It is. Maybin is an odd fit though. We like our DE's around 280 lbs. Maybin is what 240? 250 now maybe?

Really hope we don't try to make him a 4-3 OLB...


could he play the Von Miller role?


From what I'm reading now, that's exactly what he's going to do. Play 4-3 SAM and then on pass rushing downs play some DE.

We'll see how it goes. So far the players we've tried that with (Ahmad Brooks, Manny Lawson, Dontay Moch - granted he just can't get on the field,etc...), it hasn't work out...


I'm looking forward to seeing him in the role. Don't think it's going to work out but I think it'll be interesting to say the least.
_________________

[]_[] Family
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 5561
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
I would love to hire Zimmer as a HC someday, he's what a franchise needs.


I honestly see him taking over for Marvin in the next year or two when Marvin is ready to try something different.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
D.Revis24


Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 3770
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
I'd like to say maybe Maybin can turn it around finally, but he was suppose to do that with the Jets. people said if anyone can get the most out of him Its Rex. Now they say the same for Zimmer. My guess is, unless there are a tonne of injuries where you need him for depth, Maybin won't be on the opening day roster.

Well, Rex isn't really known for turning players around. He got the most out of a couple teams, but doesn't recycle players well.

Zimmer has been instrumental in turning around the careers of: Adam Jones, Terrence Newman, Reggie Nelson, Chris Crocker, and probably a few more that i'm forgetting. He also got useful time out of Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, Vontaze Burfict, Tank Johnson and Jamaal Anderson.

But, i understand the skepticism. I too am skeptical. They've missed on some guys too that were brought in under similar circumstances. So we'll just have to wait and see how this particular instance turns out.



How did Zimmer turn around the careers of Adam Jones, Terrence Newman, and Chris Crocker? And Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, and Jamaal Anderson barely played with the Bengals so idk about useful minutes. At least with Anderson hes only played in 2 games with the Bengals and is still a bust. Howard didn't play last season and he was no better than he used to be with the Bengals. Manny Lawson is nothing special.

Vontaze Burfict was a talented player who had to be straighten out.
_________________


Props to El Ramster on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group