Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Coordinator-- What's Going On?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General_Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerfaninmn wrote:
duxrule wrote:
Packerfaninmn wrote:
I'm getting sick of Dom getting the scheme isn't the problem card. If the players repeatedly can't pull it off then switch it up. I've noticed our defense looks all world against average qbs but when facing good ones they always have career days. We need a guy with flexibility. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time the defense looked food against a scrambling QB. In today's NFL that's a huge problem.

Ya...switch it up, because guys that are learning one thing slowly truly need to change gears and start learning something else. That can only help.....right??!! Rolling Eyes

How many years should we wait for it to click? 5? 10? This "scheme" has been mediocre at best the last few years.

I have to agree here, It's not like this is Dom's first year. He's been here for almost 5 years now and the last 2 years show that we came out flat in big games. You mention we can't stop scrambling QBs, heck Eli tears us apart and I'm sure he's top 5 slowest in the league. How many more "repeatable offenses" should we have before it's finally time to get someone else?
Packerfaninmn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaine Gabbert had a career game against us. That's terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
persiandud wrote:
Let Capers go and give me Lovie Smith.

Absolutely not. Tampa 2 4-3? That is the polar opposite of what our personnel is designed for.

I doubt Greene will ever be a DC or even a legitimate candidate to be a DC. He seems very positionally specific and probably spends his career as a position coach.

I actually think Greene's coaching might be part of the problem. He's in charge of the OLBs, and their inability to contain certain QBs, and pressure others is what led to a lot of the problems this year. Granted, there were a lot of injuries in the LB corps, and the position depth is lacking (Moses and Perry look promising, but were rookies, and had steep learning curves).

My guess is that Capers has one more year, and if he can't get this defense in order, he'll be jettisoned after 2013. TT and MM just got the defense a whole host of talent for 2012, and they realize that rookie years involve tons of development, and the offseason program will help them make even bigger strides.
pollino14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, what other canidates are out there?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:

Nothing exciting really that I've seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

Nothing exciting really that I've seen.

SPAGS! No but seriously, I have no idea. I'd figure someone with 3-4 knowledge would jump from a Positional coach to GB instantly. I mean who wouldn't? perfect job Smile
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerfaninmn wrote:
duxrule wrote:
Packerfaninmn wrote:
I'm getting sick of Dom getting the scheme isn't the problem card. If the players repeatedly can't pull it off then switch it up. I've noticed our defense looks all world against average qbs but when facing good ones they always have career days. We need a guy with flexibility. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time the defense looked food against a scrambling QB. In today's NFL that's a huge problem.

Ya...switch it up, because guys that are learning one thing slowly truly need to change gears and start learning something else. That can only help.....right??!! Rolling Eyes

How many years should we wait for it to click? 5? 10? This "scheme" has been mediocre at best the last few years.

and I'd have to agree. We watched Dom flat out give up against the Giants in 2011. Can't have that, can't win with that...

We need a guy who can come in, be creative, and have a fire lit under his arsch. Rob Ryan could've been that guy but I honestly don't think he would've fit here.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mangini is someone who is versed in the 34, an is pretty darn smart when it comes to defense. Hell, he had one of his Browns teams beat the Patriots. He's one of the best at game planning and his 2010 Browns had a pretty good defense with very few good pieces. He's someone who's tires I wouldn't mind kicking.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerfaninmn wrote:
duxrule wrote:
Packerfaninmn wrote:

Its regressed considerably, actually.

I've always liked the idea of Seattle's defense. You can load your two best pass rushers from the same side. Matthews as the WLB and Perry at RE. Pickett (NT) Raji (UT) and Worthy (LE) start. Nickel you shift Raji to NT, worthy to UT and plug Neal at LE while taking out Hawk for the extra corner. Or take out the NT position all together for a 3-3-5. Lots of possibilities.

CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to start a new thread, but does anyone else feel like we've gotten away from the fire blitz scheme that we thought Dom was bringing in?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Didn't want to start a new thread, but does anyone else feel like we've gotten away from the fire blitz scheme that we thought Dom was bringing in?

A bit actually. I feel like we play too much coverage at times while expecting our guys to win their 1v1's. I'm looking for somewhere that has blitz % stats but I'm having trouble finding it.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say, looking through stats, a couple things we need to improve on. Most of our pass defense stats look nice. Top 8 in most things. Just need to tighten up on letting up the passing TDs (16th). Our rush defense though is yuck. 17th in total yards, 26th in YPA, 16th in TDs, 29th in fumbles caused, tied for 27th in fumbles recovered. Last three years our run defense in YPA is 4.7 ('10), 4.7 ('11) and 4.5 ('12). Ugly.

stallyns wrote:
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't "why there's been no noise about coaches and contracts" is that Dom is technically still working this year, as the Packers and Broncos coaches are coaching the NFC and AFC pro bowl squads?

I mean, I'm sure Dom isn't working hard at that (it's the Pro Bowl), but technically he's coaching at the Pro Bowl.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Isn't "why there's been no noise about coaches and contracts" is that Dom is technically still working this year, as the Packers and Broncos coaches are coaching the NFC and AFC pro bowl squads?

I mean, I'm sure Dom isn't working hard at that (it's the Pro Bowl), but technically he's coaching at the Pro Bowl.

Speaking of, over/under Dom's defense giving up 70 points in the pro bowl? Laughing

stallyns wrote:
packerfan50

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance that Mike Singletary could be a good coordinator? Firey guy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: