Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Coordinator-- What's Going On?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blankman0021


Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 1923
Location: MKE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Defensive Coordinator-- What's Going On? Reply with quote

Cheesy article- http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/problem-with-dom-capers

Has anybody heard anything recent about Capers' contract situation. Last I heard his contract expired. Not sure if I'm making this up, but with the New Orleans defense switching to a 3-4 alignment, it would seem awful convenient for them to snipe our coordinator who is not under contract.

This whole situation seems a little odd right now. We either let his contract expire without a contingency plan in place, or failed to announce an extension.

It is a very odd situation that is playing out in GB, typically we are very fast to extend our own. Especially when we're winning.

If we don't figure out something soon, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that he has been brought on as the Saints D-Coordinator. (purely speculation)
_________________


The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCPackFan


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 2244
Location: Kinston, NC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope they snipe him. We need a new D-coordinator with some bite. Dom's over-the-hill and vanilla. We need a guy who can be creative, but stones-to-the-wall. I think Kevin Greene can be that guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10473
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Let's hope they snipe him. We need a new D-coordinator with some bite. Dom's over-the-hill and vanilla. We need a guy who can be creative, but stones-to-the-wall. I think Kevin Greene can be that guy.


The problem is execution, not scheme. I have even less faith in Greene being ready to be a DC than I have in Capers. IMO if they were going to change DCs, it would need to be someone not on the current staff. I don't think anyone on the current Packers staff is DC material, although Greene might eventually get there.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 31630
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
Let's hope they snipe him. We need a new D-coordinator with some bite. Dom's over-the-hill and vanilla. We need a guy who can be creative, but stones-to-the-wall. I think Kevin Greene can be that guy.


The problem is execution, not scheme. I have even less faith in Greene being ready to be a DC than I have in Capers. IMO if they were going to change DCs, it would need to be someone not on the current staff. I don't think anyone on the current Packers staff is DC material, although Greene might eventually get there.


I don't think Greene is close to being a coordinator.

Perry would be next in line IMO. Moss is a candidate as well too I'd imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10473
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
spilltray wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
Let's hope they snipe him. We need a new D-coordinator with some bite. Dom's over-the-hill and vanilla. We need a guy who can be creative, but stones-to-the-wall. I think Kevin Greene can be that guy.


The problem is execution, not scheme. I have even less faith in Greene being ready to be a DC than I have in Capers. IMO if they were going to change DCs, it would need to be someone not on the current staff. I don't think anyone on the current Packers staff is DC material, although Greene might eventually get there.


I don't think Greene is close to being a coordinator.

Perry would be next in line IMO. Moss is a candidate as well too I'd imagine.


I don't disagree. I just think it's likely either would be a significant downgrade from Capers.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
persiandud


Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1033
Location: Davis, CA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let Capers go and give me Lovie Smith.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10473
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

persiandud wrote:
Let Capers go and give me Lovie Smith.


While I like Lovie as a coach, I don't want to see this defense switch to a 4-3 and even less to a Tampa-2.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
General_Bean


Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 1291
Location: Crossroads of CT
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

persiandud wrote:
Let Capers go and give me Lovie Smith.


Not to mention Lovie stated he didn't want a coord job, he'd rather take a year off (still getting paid by CHI mind you) and wait next year for a coaching position. I know people say one thing and do another, but Lovie seems like he's a trustworthy type of guy.

(I would love him as our D coord, Idc what defense we play, as long as it works)
_________________
Packers fan since 93.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
nfldraftguru1


Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 10086
Location: Whitewater, WI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

persiandud wrote:
Let Capers go and give me Lovie Smith.


Absolutely not. Tampa 2 4-3? That is the polar opposite of what our personnel is designed for.

I doubt Greene will ever be a DC or even a legitimate candidate to be a DC. He seems very positionally specific and probably spends his career as a position coach.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
{Family Ghost}


Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1369
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's uncommon for assistant coaches and coordinators to have their contracts expire. I'm guessing Capers and the rest of the defensive staff are all on the same time frame in regards to contracts as well. They have probably already been given assurances that they will be retained. The staff is at the pro bowl this week, so business will probably be taken care of next week when it comes to handing out new deals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I Am Rodgers


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 7203
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
persiandud wrote:
Let Capers go and give me Lovie Smith.


Absolutely not. Tampa 2 4-3? That is the polar opposite of what our personnel is designed for.
.


Its really not. When you look at our team, who is a true fit for the 34? Clay? We know we lack DL length. I could definitely see us running a scheme like Seattle's 43. Clemons=Clay. Then they have 3 NT/UT types on the line. Pickett/Raji/Worthy. Bring in Neal and Perry in pass situations. Were not crazy invested in the 34.
_________________


stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Packerfaninmn


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 7157
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting sick of Dom getting the scheme isn't the problem card. If the players repeatedly can't pull it off then switch it up. I've noticed our defense looks all world against average qbs but when facing good ones they always have career days. We need a guy with flexibility. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time the defense looked food against a scrambling QB. In today's NFL that's a huge problem.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duxrule


Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 3192
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerfaninmn wrote:
I'm getting sick of Dom getting the scheme isn't the problem card. If the players repeatedly can't pull it off then switch it up. I've noticed our defense looks all world against average qbs but when facing good ones they always have career days. We need a guy with flexibility. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time the defense looked food against a scrambling QB. In today's NFL that's a huge problem.


Ya...switch it up, because guys that are learning one thing slowly truly need to change gears and start learning something else. That can only help.....right??!! Rolling Eyes
_________________
Global Warming.....ya....right...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nfldraftguru1


Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 10086
Location: Whitewater, WI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
persiandud wrote:
Let Capers go and give me Lovie Smith.


Absolutely not. Tampa 2 4-3? That is the polar opposite of what our personnel is designed for.
.


Its really not. When you look at our team, who is a true fit for the 34? Clay? We know we lack DL length. I could definitely see us running a scheme like Seattle's 43. Clemons=Clay. Then they have 3 NT/UT types on the line. Pickett/Raji/Worthy. Bring in Neal and Perry in pass situations. Were not crazy invested in the 34.

A Tampa 2 4-3 would be an awful fit though.
Matthews-best as an attacker, not a Tampa 2 SLB.
Bishop-thumper inside, would not be a guy to play the seam.
Raji-a space eater, doesn't fit the Tommie Harris/Henry Melton prototype for Tampa 2 DT.
We only have one DE that fits the scheme, Perry.
Shields and Tramon are both much better in man coverage.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Packerfaninmn


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 7157
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duxrule wrote:
Packerfaninmn wrote:
I'm getting sick of Dom getting the scheme isn't the problem card. If the players repeatedly can't pull it off then switch it up. I've noticed our defense looks all world against average qbs but when facing good ones they always have career days. We need a guy with flexibility. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time the defense looked food against a scrambling QB. In today's NFL that's a huge problem.


Ya...switch it up, because guys that are learning one thing slowly truly need to change gears and start learning something else. That can only help.....right??!! Rolling Eyes

How many years should we wait for it to click? 5? 10? This "scheme" has been mediocre at best the last few years.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group