Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Coordinator-- What's Going On?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Defensive Coordinator-- What's Going On? Reply with quote

Cheesy article- http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/problem-with-dom-capers

Has anybody heard anything recent about Capers' contract situation. Last I heard his contract expired. Not sure if I'm making this up, but with the New Orleans defense switching to a 3-4 alignment, it would seem awful convenient for them to snipe our coordinator who is not under contract.

This whole situation seems a little odd right now. We either let his contract expire without a contingency plan in place, or failed to announce an extension.

It is a very odd situation that is playing out in GB, typically we are very fast to extend our own. Especially when we're winning.

If we don't figure out something soon, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that he has been brought on as the Saints D-Coordinator. (purely speculation)

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope they snipe him. We need a new D-coordinator with some bite. Dom's over-the-hill and vanilla. We need a guy who can be creative, but stones-to-the-wall. I think Kevin Greene can be that guy.
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Let's hope they snipe him. We need a new D-coordinator with some bite. Dom's over-the-hill and vanilla. We need a guy who can be creative, but stones-to-the-wall. I think Kevin Greene can be that guy.

The problem is execution, not scheme. I have even less faith in Greene being ready to be a DC than I have in Capers. IMO if they were going to change DCs, it would need to be someone not on the current staff. I don't think anyone on the current Packers staff is DC material, although Greene might eventually get there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:

The problem is execution, not scheme. I have even less faith in Greene being ready to be a DC than I have in Capers. IMO if they were going to change DCs, it would need to be someone not on the current staff. I don't think anyone on the current Packers staff is DC material, although Greene might eventually get there.

I don't think Greene is close to being a coordinator.

Perry would be next in line IMO. Moss is a candidate as well too I'd imagine.
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
spilltray wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:

I don't think Greene is close to being a coordinator.

Perry would be next in line IMO. Moss is a candidate as well too I'd imagine.

I don't disagree. I just think it's likely either would be a significant downgrade from Capers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
persiandud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let Capers go and give me Lovie Smith.
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

persiandud wrote:

While I like Lovie as a coach, I don't want to see this defense switch to a 4-3 and even less to a Tampa-2.
General_Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

persiandud wrote:

Not to mention Lovie stated he didn't want a coord job, he'd rather take a year off (still getting paid by CHI mind you) and wait next year for a coaching position. I know people say one thing and do another, but Lovie seems like he's a trustworthy type of guy.

(I would love him as our D coord, Idc what defense we play, as long as it works)
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

persiandud wrote:

Absolutely not. Tampa 2 4-3? That is the polar opposite of what our personnel is designed for.

I doubt Greene will ever be a DC or even a legitimate candidate to be a DC. He seems very positionally specific and probably spends his career as a position coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's uncommon for assistant coaches and coordinators to have their contracts expire. I'm guessing Capers and the rest of the defensive staff are all on the same time frame in regards to contracts as well. They have probably already been given assurances that they will be retained. The staff is at the pro bowl this week, so business will probably be taken care of next week when it comes to handing out new deals.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Absolutely not. Tampa 2 4-3? That is the polar opposite of what our personnel is designed for.

Its really not. When you look at our team, who is a true fit for the 34? Clay? We know we lack DL length. I could definitely see us running a scheme like Seattle's 43. Clemons=Clay. Then they have 3 NT/UT types on the line. Pickett/Raji/Worthy. Bring in Neal and Perry in pass situations. Were not crazy invested in the 34.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Packerfaninmn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting sick of Dom getting the scheme isn't the problem card. If the players repeatedly can't pull it off then switch it up. I've noticed our defense looks all world against average qbs but when facing good ones they always have career days. We need a guy with flexibility. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time the defense looked food against a scrambling QB. In today's NFL that's a huge problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerfaninmn wrote:
I'm getting sick of Dom getting the scheme isn't the problem card. If the players repeatedly can't pull it off then switch it up. I've noticed our defense looks all world against average qbs but when facing good ones they always have career days. We need a guy with flexibility. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time the defense looked food against a scrambling QB. In today's NFL that's a huge problem.

Ya...switch it up, because guys that are learning one thing slowly truly need to change gears and start learning something else. That can only help.....right??!! Rolling Eyes
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Its really not. When you look at our team, who is a true fit for the 34? Clay? We know we lack DL length. I could definitely see us running a scheme like Seattle's 43. Clemons=Clay. Then they have 3 NT/UT types on the line. Pickett/Raji/Worthy. Bring in Neal and Perry in pass situations. Were not crazy invested in the 34.

A Tampa 2 4-3 would be an awful fit though.
Matthews-best as an attacker, not a Tampa 2 SLB.
Bishop-thumper inside, would not be a guy to play the seam.
Raji-a space eater, doesn't fit the Tommie Harris/Henry Melton prototype for Tampa 2 DT.
We only have one DE that fits the scheme, Perry.
Shields and Tramon are both much better in man coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duxrule wrote:
Packerfaninmn wrote:

Ya...switch it up, because guys that are learning one thing slowly truly need to change gears and start learning something else. That can only help.....right??!! Rolling Eyes

How many years should we wait for it to click? 5? 10? This "scheme" has been mediocre at best the last few years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: