Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kendall Reyes DE Chargers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kampman74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Kendall Reyes DE Chargers Reply with quote

It is bugging me that I have now read twice in the last week that the Packers wanted Reyes and he was off the board when we picked, so I am asking all of you this question. Well a couple of questions

How did reyes perform this year ( maybe better asked in the Chargers forum), and was he considered that much better than Worthy?

Why would TT trade up to get Reyes if Reyes was already off the board? Did TT trade in advance of the Chargers making the pick, that is kind of scary, who knows who is going to be there.

In two or actually three articles (I think) over the last week and a half, I have read that Worthy does not fit in the 34, if is true, why in the heck would TT draft him. Were we going to switch schemes and then changed it right before pre-season? Does TT not know the difference between 34DE and 43DT?

Now I know that TT knows more than I will ever know, ya know? But I just wanted to get some opinions out there/

Finally do you guys think that this will really impact what he decides to do on draft day?

Mods if this is more of a blog/rant post you can lock it up, I have thick troll like skin, don't faze me.

Oh and finally....finally, where did two reporters get that the Pack wanted Reyes, did TT admit to it after the draft and then say "well we wanted Reyes, but all we got was Worthy"?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue about anything. My thought is one writer came up with it (McGinn) and the rest just took what he said as fact. I can tell you one thing though. I really really wanted Reyes. So much so that I would have been fine with taking him over Perry.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to answer all the questions but I'll give it a shot. Reyes had a very nice year for the Chargers and he was a forum favorite last year especially after his SR Bowl showing. As far as Worthy, he doesn't have the ideal length to be a 5-tech. As far as scheme fit goes you could make a case for a "less than ideal" fit for almost all the guys we drafted last year, Perry, Worthy, Daniels, McMillian, Manning. It's all about value, scheme fit surely plays a roll in setting up your big board but even with the fit in mind TT saw those guys as the best value left.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
rbens06

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things to add. First, I believe TT did trade up before the Chargers made their pick. At the time Still, Worthy, and Reyes were on the board and he traded up, but not who was on the clock (unless it was a delay on TV and the cards were already in, just not announced). My guess is TT liked all three and could give up less for the lower spot. Second, we played a lot of nickel the year before and Worthy is a good inside rusher. He might not be the ideal 3-4 end, but he did fit in our team and play style from the year before. Plus he has a similar body and style of play Cullen Jenkins has, who performed well in our system. Finally, I do not think you will ever hear TT, or most other GMs, say they really wanted player x, even after the draft. Most likely that came from rumors/mumblings reports heard/got from their sources inside the Packers organization.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, our D has been a 2-4-5 nickel more than it is a traditional 3-4. I think this reasoning lead TT to draft worthy. We were looking for a pass rushing 4-3 DT essentially. That is what we had in Cullen Jenkins and we were trying to replace it.

Reyes would have fit our 3-4 perfect, and very well could have been our target, but Worthy fits our D scheme. Just not the traditional 3-4 scheme

Edit: rbens06 stole my thunder. Carry on.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reyes was solid but really didn't put up any eye-popping stats other than 3.5 sacks against the Jets in Week 16 and 2 more against Denver. Other than that, he barely showed up on the stat sheet.
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
To be honest, our D has been a 2-4-5 nickel more than it is a traditional 3-4. I think this reasoning lead TT to draft worthy. We were looking for a pass rushing 4-3 DT essentially. That is what we had in Cullen Jenkins and we were trying to replace it.

This. I can't see TT making a trade for a specific guy until that pick is on the clock. I don't buy that he wanted player X and traded up anyway so settled for player Y.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Worthy was supposed to be a late first/early 2nd round pick. A lot of us had us taking him with OUR first. Reyes was considered a 2nd-4th round prospect. Second, the Worthy doesn't fit a 3-4 scheme idea is bull. He has all the skills needed. He's not JJ Watt, but I think he is Marcus Spears in his prime with a bit more push. Third, trust our scouts to decide who fits where. A Super Bowl followed by 15-1, and then the division title followed by a playoff win. I know sights were set high but the NFL is not an easy league. Perhaps some day UNICEF will get in to the world championships business but that is not today.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
No clue about anything. My thought is one writer came up with it (McGinn) and the rest just took what he said as fact. I can tell you one thing though. I really really wanted Reyes. So much so that I would have been fine with taking him over Perry.

Few things:

1) Reyes made it very clear to everyone he talked with leading up to the draft that the Packers came off as the most interested.
2) Reyes said post pick that he was on the phone with the Packers when the call came in from SD.
3) Zona said post draft that the trade was made and pending players on board for both sides the day before. They also said the Packers called and said they still wanted the slot even though Reyes was gone and said they would go DL with said pick.

Just sayin. I agree 100% that odds are very high nothing came out of the Packers camp. Those guys keep things as close to the vest as any in the league. That said, many don't and are willing to talk out of place every now and again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

Few things:

1) Reyes made it very clear to everyone he talked with leading up to the draft that the Packers came off as the most interested.
2) Reyes said post pick that he was on the phone with the Packers when the call came in from SD.
3) Zona said post draft that the trade was made and pending players on board for both sides the day before. They also said the Packers called and said they still wanted the slot even though Reyes was gone and said they would go DL with said pick.

Just sayin. I agree 100% that odds are very high nothing came out of the Packers camp. Those guys keep things as close to the vest as any in the league. That said, many don't and are willing to talk out of place every now and again.

Just in case you invite me over for draft weekend I want you to know ahead of time that I accept.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:

Few things:

Just to make sure was 3 suppose to be Philadelphia because I thought Philadelphia owned the pick from the Kolb trade? Not trying to knit pick, but just curious because I know the Packers and Eagles have had trades in the past and might explain the pre-draft agreement more.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it a bit more I think your right. Not sure without looking it up though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can tell ya is that TT is a very good draft day GM. Man new there would be a group of 5-tech prospects on the board in that tier and made the pending trade. Bet he was starting to get a little worked up when Den took the first one so early though..... Laughing

Either way, man was spot on and still had Worthy and Still on the board to pick from. That's a rare feel that the good GM's have. I can grade out players with the best of them but I lack that feel for how the flow of the board will go on draft day. Bigger deal than one might think. Been told it just comes with time. Packers are lucky to have him IMO. Ideal GM for how the Packers do their thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
What I can tell ya is that TT is a very good draft day GM. Man new there would be a group of 5-tech prospects on the board in that tier and made the pending trade. Bet he was starting to get a little worked up when Den took the first one so early though..... Laughing

Either way, man was spot on and still had Worthy and Still on the board to pick from. That's a rare feel that the good GM's have. I can grade out players with the best of them but I lack that feel for how the flow of the board will go on draft day. Bigger deal than one might think. Been told it just comes with time. Packers are lucky to have him IMO. Ideal GM for how the Packers do their thing.

I think a similar situation might happen with a WR this year. Seems like there might be a group available around that slot as well.
rbens06

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

I agree TT has that "it" factor for a GM in m opinion. I just didn't know if there was a Philly connection there or not. It seems like TT had been able to create a very good connection with some very respectable guys (Belicheck and Reid) and did know if that played into it at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: