Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The TE Mock Draft/Trade Down [Page 2]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we sign 2-3 mid level free agents with starting experience on the OL to give ourselves options in the draft and make sure to grab 2 high upside developmental players.

Jermon Bushrod (7-8 million)

A good LT that unlike Vollmer and Albert has not missed time with injuries.

Brandon Moore (3-4 million)

Similar deal to Chris Spencer, Moore is old at 34 but he can still play and stabilize our LG position for a year.

And then add a 2nd and 5th round pick to the mix.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I wonder if we sign 2-3 mid level free agents with starting experience on the OL to give ourselves options in the draft and make sure to grab 2 high upside developmental players.

Similar deal to Chris Spencer, Moore is old at 34 but he can still play and stabilize our LG position for a year.

I'd be totally cool with adding 2 OL in FA. At least in the short term, we don't need great players. We need consistent competence. You don't have to pay top dollar for competent players but I'd you can have 4 or 5 of them then you should have a lot of success IMO.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I'd be totally cool with adding 2 OL in FA. At least in the short term, we don't need great players. We need consistent competence. You don't have to pay top dollar for competent players but I'd you can have 4 or 5 of them then you should have a lot of success IMO.

Something you said about not counting on a rookie to play well has stuck with me.

A cheap competent player like Moore who is not a long term solution would allow us to go BPA in round 1 and allow OLmen selected in rounds 2-7 to develop.

LT Bushrod
LG Moore, Warford 2nd round
C Garza, 5th round C
RG Louis, Carimi
RT Webb, Scott
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Something you said about not counting on a rookie to play well has stuck with me.

A cheap competent player like Moore who is not a long term solution would allow us to go BPA in round 1 and allow OLmen selected in rounds 2-7 to develop.

LT Bushrod
C Garza, 5th round C
RG Louis, Carimi
RT Webb, Scott

I agree with the bolded part except that in that scenario I wouldn't want to take a OL in round 1 or 2. If we "fix" the OL with 2 UFA then I would expect we address other positions at the top since we can use immediate contributors at other positions too. FWIW though I'd rather have Warford in round 2 (if he makes it to our pick) than sign a guy like Moore. Warford looks like he will be an excellent player.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

A good LT that unlike Vollmer and Albert has not missed time withh injuries.

LT Bushrod
C Garza, 5th round C
RG Louis, Carimi
RT Webb, Scott

I agree with the bolded part except that in that scenario I wouldn't want to take a OL in round 1 or 2. If we "fix" the OL with 2 UFA then I would expect we address other positions at the top since we can use immediate contributors at other positions too. FWIW though I'd rather have Warford in round 2 (if he makes it to our pick) than sign a guy like Moore. Warford looks like he will be an excellent player.

I think we still need to make the investment in an early round. That way we have talented players to develop.

I would assume that a 2nd round pick is more likely to be a quality starter than a 4th round pick even after a couple of years. I want a young player to build around and it is safer to do that in the 2nd.

I really think that the OL requires a heavy investment especially if it is not in the 1st round.

OT Jermon Bushrod
OG Brandon Moore

Draft

1. BPA (TE/LB)

We can take the best player available at a position of need and the best thing about Moore is that because of his age we can still draft an OLmen if there is an insane value.

2. OG Larry Warfod (Kentucky)

A player with dominant potential that we can develop to possibly be a Pro Bowl player down the road. The same potential will not be as easy to find in the 4th round.

4. TE/LB

A guy who has developable potential and can contribute on special teams.

5. C Brian Schwenke (Cal)

A developmental center that can be developed to take over for Garza next season. Warford and Schwenke get a year to work with Kromer before becoming the future. Good depth.

6. WR

A speed guy who can replace Hester.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

LT Bushrod
C Garza, 5th round C
RG Louis, Carimi
RT Webb, Scott

I think we still need to make the investment in an early round. That way we have talented players to develop.

I would assume that a 2nd round pick is more likely to be a quality starter than a 4th round pick even after a couple of years. I want a young player to build around and it is safer to do that in the 2nd.

I really think that the OL requires a heavy investment especially if it is not in the 1st round.

OT Jermon Bushrod
OG Brandon Moore

Draft

1. BPA (TE/LB)

We can take the best player available at a position of need and the best thing about Moore is that because of his age we can still draft an OLmen if there is an insane value.

A player with dominant potential that we can develop to possibly be a Pro Bowl player down the road. The same potential will not be as easy to find in the 4th round.

4. TE/LB

A developmental center that can be developed to take over for Garza next season. Warford and Schwenke get a year to work with Kromer before becoming the future. Good depth.

6. WR

You'd rather draft a guy in round 2 who won't play for 2 years than a guy there to see immediate playing time now at another position of need? I would respectfully disagree with that. If we take a OL that high he needs to play right away IMO. If Warford or whoever is that much better than a 4th round guy at the same position then he shouldn't be sitting at all because he should be good right away and great down the road.

For me it's either/or. If we add 2 starting OL at LT and LG via FA then it's not a top need any more assuming Louis is brought back - Garza will be adequate one more year and one of Carimi/Webb/Scott/Brown should be ok at RT. If all you are getting from an OL #1 or #2 pick as a rookie (outside of injury) is quality depth then that's a bad pick IMO, especially with the other major holes on our roster. If we don't address the OL in FA then presumably we addressed other needs in FA in which case I think 2 of our first 3 picks would need to be OL. Adding one top end FA and one pick in our first 2 rounds would be the way I would do it, assuming of course that Trestman and Kromer don't think any of the in house guys can adequately fill one of those needs.

GRRLacher wrote:
ak06max

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I remember right Pace was at the end of his career. I do not want another 34 yr old on this line

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

LT Bushrod
C Garza, 5th round C
RG Louis, Carimi
RT Webb, Scott

OT Jermon Bushrod
OG Brandon Moore

Draft

1. BPA (TE/LB)

4. TE/LB

6. WR

You'd rather draft a guy in round 2 who won't play for 2 years than a guy there to see immediate playing time now at another position of need? I would respectfully disagree with that. If we take a OL that high he needs to play right away IMO. If Warford or whoever is that much better than a 4th round guy at the same position then he shouldn't be sitting at all because he should be good right away and great down the road.

For me it's either/or. If we add 2 starting OL at LT and LG via FA then it's not a top need any more assuming Louis is brought back - Garza will be adequate one more year and one of Carimi/Webb/Scott/Brown should be ok at RT. If all you are getting from an OL #1 or #2 pick as a rookie (outside of injury) is quality depth then that's a bad pick IMO, especially with the other major holes on our roster. If we don't address the OL in FA then presumably we addressed other needs in FA in which case I think 2 of our first 3 picks would need to be OL. Adding one top end FA and one pick in our first 2 rounds would be the way I would do it, assuming of course that Trestman and Kromer don't think any of the in house guys can adequately fill one of those needs.

But in that plan we are beholden to a 34 year old LG without a clear plan behind him. Great OLmen are developed and grown and we need to get high potential/compete to start type players in here.

But there is a difference between stop gap player (Moore) and a long term starter (Warford).

We drafted a 1st round pick this season who had 0 chance of starting because we thought he had dominant potential down the road. I am sure Emery felt he was a long term starter and he may be soon.

I doubt any position we pick in the 2nd round would play much.

A CB would be sitting behind 2 Pro Bowl players and possibly sitting behind a very experienced nickel back in Hayden.

A LB would be competing at SLB a position that does not play 50% of the snaps.

In my plan Warford would compete to start, but we protect ourselves by signing a 1 year experienced stop gap.

-If Warford is not ready to start.

-If Louis is not ready or is reinjured.

If anyone else is injured.

If Moore ends up playing then we develop Warford to start and be an impact starter next season. If Warford starts then awesome we have a young stud who beat out a veteran and we have exceptional depth and we can possibly ease Louis back.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal free agency period regardless of draft,

OT Jermon Bushrod (NO) 4 years 30 million/ 15 guaranteed

Gives us a good solid LT that knows the system and does not have back issues.

OG Brandon Moore (NYJ) 2 years 6 million/2 guaranteed

A veteran stop gap that can protect the Bears against a draft pick not being ready or if Louis is still injured.

LB Daryl Smith (Jac) 4 years 14 million/5 guaranteed

A veteran MLB that knows Mel Tucker and can fill the role.

Our Re-signings

DT Henry Melton 5 years 32.5 million/17 guaranteed
OG Lance Louis 3 years 10 million/3 guaranteed
LB Nick Roach 3 years 8 million/4 guaranteed
CB Kelvin Hayden 1 year 1.5 million/1.5 guaranteed

I think this gives us a ton of flexibility in the draft and only would force a rookie TE to start. It also give us depth and competition on the OL which we need desperately.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good draft, and I like trading down, something I think we all know will happen. I do believe we will draft a QB in the mid rounds though. Trestman can coach QBs(as he has in the past) and I think we'll draft a guy in the 5th or 6th round.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:

But in that plan we are beholden to a 34 year old LG without a clear plan behind him. Great OLmen are developed and grown and we need to get high potential/compete to start type players in here.

But there is a difference between stop gap player (Moore) and a long term starter (Warford).

We drafted a 1st round pick this season who had 0 chance of starting because we thought he had dominant potential down the road. I am sure Emery felt he was a long term starter and he may be soon.

I doubt any position we pick in the 2nd round would play much.

A CB would be sitting behind 2 Pro Bowl players and possibly sitting behind a very experienced nickel back in Hayden.

A LB would be competing at SLB a position that does not play 50% of the snaps.

In my plan Warford would compete to start, but we protect ourselves by signing a 1 year experienced stop gap.

-If Warford is not ready to start.

-If Louis is not ready or is reinjured.

If anyone else is injured.

If Moore ends up playing then we develop Warford to start and be an impact starter next season. If Warford starts then awesome we have a young stud who beat out a veteran and we have exceptional depth and we can possibly ease Louis back.

If we draft a round 2 guard and bring in a 1-year stop gap type guy my expectation would be that the rookie is expected to start with the FA there only in the event that the rookie is a disaster. The big difference between a round 2 LB and CB and a round 2 OG behind a FA is that the LB will still play even if it is as a 2 down player and the CB will likely play in most nickel situations which is quite a bit. The guard won't play at all. Even McClellin was expected to (and had) a role as a situational pass rusher as a rookie. He probably would have seen more time too if not for the unexpected emergence of Wootton. My comment about a round 2 pick being expected to start right away was specific to an OL.

For me you can find good guards in the middle rounds and Kromer has history of making those good guards great ones, so if the plan is to develop one without him learning on the field as a rookie then taking a guy in the 2nd doesn't really give us anything more than if we took the guy in the 4th or 5th instead, especially in what is supposed to be a pretty deep class for interior linemen. In our situation if you're not sure that a FA guard you bring in will be good even for one year then you should probably just spend the money elsewhere especially if you are taking a guy at the same position at the top of the draft.

All of this, of course, will be moot if we just go out and sign Levitre.. Cool

GRRLacher wrote:
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My argument is that the guy picked in the 2nd round has greater potential to he dominant than the guy in the 4th round.

Larry Warford (2nd) will in most cases be better than the OG picked in the 4th round.

If we sign a veteran back up we may have the luxury of picking a 4th round OG, but he probably will never be as good as the guy who was picked in the 2nd.

Agreed on Levitre, but with the rapid assent of Lane Johnson in the draft I think we will be going OT in free agency.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
My argument is that the guy picked in the 2nd round has greater potential to he dominant than the guy in the 4th round.

Larry Warford (2nd) will in most cases be better than the OG picked in the 4th round.

If we sign a veteran back up we may have the luxury of picking a 4th round OG, but he probably will never be as good as the guy who was picked in the 2nd.

Agreed on Levitre, but with the rapid assent of Lane Johnson in the draft I think we will be going OT in free agency.

Guys like Nicks, Evans and Sitton contradict your argument but my expectations are different for a 2 and a 4 in that I expect a 2nd round OL to start right away and be effective where as a 4th rounder starting as a rookie and being good is a bonus at pretty much any position but kicker or punter.

GRRLacher wrote:
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an attempt at a mock draft that I think could be a possibility based on what we have heard from Emery and what we know of Trestman, Kromer and Tucker.

Emery: Has spoken at length about wanting to add playmakers and weapons and building around Jay Cutler. In his press conference he spoke at length about attacking the middle of the field and the failures of the Bears TE position.

Trestman: Believes in protecting the QB and running the West Coast Offense [WCO] which means that we will be targeting OL and players that can create mismatches and gather YAC yards. Trestman is a firm believer in spreading the ball around the field and the days of 20 targets for Brandon Marshall are over.

Kromer: Has an established history of taking big college OTs in the mid rounds of the draft and turning them into big short setting OGs, players like Jahri Evans [4th round] and Car Nick [5th round] have been developed by Kromer.

Tucker: Is more than likely going to run a vanilla 4-3 which means we need a LB that can cover down the field.

Re-signings

DT Henry Melton 5 years 37.5 million/20 guaranteed
OG Lance Louis 4 years 14 million/4 guaranteed
LB Nick Roach 3 years 9 million/4 guaranteed
LB Geno Hayes
CB Kelvin Hayden
DE Israel Idonije
RB Armando Allen

Cuts

Kellen Davis [2.4 million]
Hester [1.8 million]

Restructure/Extend

Brandon Marshall [4 years]
Charles Tillman [3 years]

Free Agents

OT Jermon Bushrod [New Orleans] 4 years 30 million/17 guaranteed

Bushrod might not be an elite LT but he is very good and he represents a significant upgrade over J'Marcus Webb. Last season Bushrod allowed 4.5 sacks and 1 holding penalty in 671 pass attempts. Webb allowed 9 sacks and 3 holding calls in 485 passing attempts. Bushrod also has a number of positive qualities as he has worked with Kromer, had success in a similar offense, he will come cheaper than other options and he has been incredibly healthy.

OG Brandon Moore [NYJ] 2 years 7 million/3 guaranteed

The Bears are in desperate need of starting caliber OL as their window is open right now to win and they need to stop wasting the best years of Cutler's career. Moore might be 33, but he is a very solid professional OLmen that can come in and stabilize the LG position while Kromer develops a player to take over. Moore is from Gary, Indiana and he went to Illinois so he gets to leave the Jets circus, come home and play for a contending team that needs him.

QB Drew Stanton [Indianapolis] 2 years 4 million

A mobile back up QB that has won games in the NFL and he can dougie.

Draft

1[20] TE Zach Ertz [Stanford] 6'6" 252lbs.

Ertz fills a number of needs for the Bears and he represents a good value as he is ranked in the 20s by most publications and has appeared in a number of 1st round mock drafts. Ertz provides a weapon in the middle of the field, he provides another weapon in the passing game and he has incredible YAC opportunities with his blend of speed and size. Ertz has great physical ability and he has incredible hands he made a number of clutch catches for Stanford and he has shown great body control. Ertz reminds me of a faster version of Kyle Rudolph and he provides a safety net for Cutler. The Bears inability to threaten the middle of the field killed their passing game last season and allowed teams to blitz without worrying and to double team Marshall. Trestman requires weapons that have to be covered all over the field to create spacing and levels and Ertz will draw safeties back and force LBs to turn and run with him while Marshall and Jeffery kill teams on slants and crossing routes. He also replaces the worst starter on our team Kellen Davis.

[video=youtube;_u5_y3oVj30]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u5_y3oVj30[/video]

*Trade* The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] to the San Francisco 49ers for 2[62] and 3[94].

2[62] LB Arthur Brown [Kansas St] 6'1" 235lbs.

A fast instinctive LB that can play a number of spots in the defense. Brown has played OLB and MLB in college and he as the speed to cover in our 4-3 scheme. Brown makes plays and his lack of size is made up for by his speed through the hole. Brown is a player that provides options for the Bears.

3[94] OG Chris Faulk [LSU] 6'6" 323lbs.

Kromer has shown that he can take big college OTs and turn them into very good OGs. The WCO and timing passing game requires big OGs that can short set and will not be pushed back or bull rushed. Faulk has played LT and he is a solid pass protector, he also has the size that will make it difficult for DTs to bull rush him into Jay' face. If not for a knee injury he would have gone much higher and with the signing of Moore the Bears can be patient.

4. C Brian Schwenke [Cal] 6'3" 308lbs.

Roberto Garza is on a steep decline and while he was serviceable this season we need to start developing the next center. Schwenke has shown at the Senior Bowl that he can pass protect against elite competition and he has a year to learn the system and the mental side of the game.

5. WR Tavarres King [Georgia] 6'1" 200lbs.

The Bears need a deep threat that can stretch the field vertically from the slot and allow Marshall and Jeffery to attack the underneath and get yardage after the catch. King has incredible speed and runs good routes.

[img]http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tavarres+King+Vanderbilt+v+Georgia+1cH2IuaW8rKl.jp g[/img]

6. CB Sheldon Price [UCLA] 6'2" 200lbs.

The Bears have 2 Pro Bowl CBs, an experienced former Pro Bowl Nickelback and they have great special teams player. The Bears have a couple of years to develop the next generation of starters and Price has the size and physicality to contribute on special teams and play in our zone system.

Depth Chart

QB: Cutler, Stanton

RB: Forte, Bush, Allen

WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, King, Weems, Anderson

TE: Ertz, Rodriguez, Adams

LT: Bushrod, Brown

LG: Moore, Faulk

C: Garza, Schwenke

RG: Louis, Carimi

RT: Webb, Scott

RE: Peppers, McClellin

DT: Melton, Collins

NT: Paea, Toenia

LE: Wootton, Idonije

SLB: Roach, Hayes, Trahan

MLB: Brown, Costanzo

WLB: Briggs, JT Thomas

CB: Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, Frey, Price, McManis

FS: Conte, Hardin

SS: Wright, Steltz
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sold on Ertz in round 2. I couldn't consider him in the 1st.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: