Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints fire DC Steve Spagnoulo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
yrba1


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1305
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Spags goes back to Philly? It's possible he could go to New York as well but last I checked during the Rams-Giants game in 2011, he left with a sour taste to Coughlin
_________________
♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21276
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He played 3-4 DE in college and many people thought he would excel at it in the NFL, he's not a great it at 3-4 DE and I honestly see him cracking the top 5 3-4 DE list by the end of next year. He'll probably bulk up a bit and be around 300 pounds to start next year.


That's a tough list to crack.

JJ Watt, Justin Smith, Calais Campbell, Ngata, Mcdonald, Antonio Smith, corey liuget. It will take a phenomenal season.

I'm not sure how he finished but I know at some point he was statistically the best run stopping DE in the league and he showed some good pass rush moves towards the end of the year, I think he should step right in at 3-4 DE and offer dominant run support and good pass rush.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 30895
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

year 1 typically goes well since there's no film on the defense. Should be an improvement just because of that.

You guys need an edge rusher though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21276
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
year 1 typically goes well since there's no film on the defense. Should be an improvement just because of that.

You guys need an edge rusher though.

Junior Galette should honestly be a goo edge rusher if he can stay healthy, he's a freak athlete
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sputney23


Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 4072
Location: G-Bay,Bama
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
year 1 typically goes well since there's no film on the defense. Should be an improvement just because of that.

You guys need an edge rusher though.

Junior Galette should honestly be a goo edge rusher if he can stay healthy, he's a freak athlete

Martez Wilson as well
_________________

NS922 On the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
popie70


Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 1064
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that turn NT into a priority for the Saints? I don't know how big Bunkley is and if he can anchor well as 0 technique or if he fits as a penetrating NT in a 1 gap system
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
101stSaintsFan


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 1571
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
Does that turn NT into a priority for the Saints? I don't know how big Bunkley is and if he can anchor well as 0 technique or if he fits as a penetrating NT in a 1 gap system


Negative. we have Bunkley who was a pretty good NT in Denver. We need an edge rusher first and foremost. We may actually have him in Junior Galette, but I think we draft a pass rusher. We could grab a big body for insurance late in the draft.
_________________


2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson

Keenan Lewis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chris00cm


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 17072
Location: St. Charles, Missouri
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spagnuolo has Philly written all over him.

I do think he's a hell of a schemer. One of the best if you ask me. But he needs to learn to be a lot more flexible with the way players run the plays. Needs to be more of a players coach as well. When in St. Louis, you could tell he ran this team like he was the king of the world. Players had no say in anything. He was as strict as could be.

Also think he got the short end of the stick in New Orleans. They were screwed from the beginning of the season and he had nothing to work with. I think he could really rejuvenate his coaching career with a move to the Eagles.
_________________


Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
popie70


Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 1064
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
popie70 wrote:
Does that turn NT into a priority for the Saints? I don't know how big Bunkley is and if he can anchor well as 0 technique or if he fits as a penetrating NT in a 1 gap system


Negative. we have Bunkley who was a pretty good NT in Denver. We need an edge rusher first and foremost. We may actually have him in Junior Galette, but I think we draft a pass rusher. We could grab a big body for insurance late in the draft.


Good to know. How do you think Lofton fits in to a 3-4 I know he has been primarily in a 4-3?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammymvpknight


Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 3399
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
popie70 wrote:
Does that turn NT into a priority for the Saints? I don't know how big Bunkley is and if he can anchor well as 0 technique or if he fits as a penetrating NT in a 1 gap system


Negative. we have Bunkley who was a pretty good NT in Denver. We need an edge rusher first and foremost. We may actually have him in Junior Galette, but I think we draft a pass rusher. We could grab a big body for insurance late in the draft.


The Saints secondary its also a mess. No telling what they do with that garbage heap. Jenkins and Harper are clueless in pass defense. I could easily see the Saints falling in love with a guy like Elam.

But as of this time with the scheme change, you would imagine that the Saints go front 7. They will take BPA between edge rusher and NT. Buckley is under contract for a few more years, so I would imagine that he will get an opportunity to start at NT. Dion Jordan and Bark Mingo look like great choices. If not a trade back for Jenkins or Williams at NT would be ideal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammymvpknight


Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 3399
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
Spagnuolo has Philly written all over him.

I do think he's a hell of a schemer. One of the best if you ask me. But he needs to learn to be a lot more flexible with the way players run the plays. Needs to be more of a players coach as well. When in St. Louis, you could tell he ran this team like he was the king of the world. Players had no say in anything. He was as strict as could be.

Also think he got the short end of the stick in New Orleans. They were screwed from the beginning of the season and he had nothing to work with. I think he could really rejuvenate his coaching career with a move to the Eagles.


He was doomed from the start. He needs his type of players to succeed. He didn't in New Orleans. The Saints clearly had better -3-4 personnel and Spags was too rigid in his ways to adapt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34898
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the 3-4 switch without a quality DC for the scheme. Should have gotten Ryan before he went to St. Louis.

I like it with their personnel on defense. Martez Wilson will be an interesting OLB with his speed. Cam Jordan is going to excel immensely. I liked him as a LDE in a 4-3, but as a 3-4 RDE, I think he'll be an elite player.

I guess this means Vilma is done? Lord knows he was average-at-best in a 3-4.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ersfan


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 6463
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saints should hire Romeo Crennel. Top 3-4 DC and he's on the market.

Spags could end up in Philly. The Eagles i believe are the only team in the NFL besides New Orleans that has a DC vacancy. Didn't he use to work with the Eagles? Seems like a good match.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chris00cm


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 17072
Location: St. Charles, Missouri
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I don't get the 3-4 switch without a quality DC for the scheme. Should have gotten Ryan before he went to St. Louis.

I like it with their personnel on defense. Martez Wilson will be an interesting OLB with his speed. Cam Jordan is going to excel immensely. I liked him as a LDE in a 4-3, but as a 3-4 RDE, I think he'll be an elite player.

I guess this means Vilma is done? Lord knows he was average-at-best in a 3-4.


Few comments about this post:

I think Ryan wanted the Rams job the entire time. I doubt he would have declined the Rams coordinator job and his old buddy Jeff Fisher for a job with the Saints.

Another thing, Jonathan Vilma has been done for 2 seasons. He's a bad player.
_________________


Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
101stSaintsFan


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 1571
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:
popie70 wrote:
Does that turn NT into a priority for the Saints? I don't know how big Bunkley is and if he can anchor well as 0 technique or if he fits as a penetrating NT in a 1 gap system


Negative. we have Bunkley who was a pretty good NT in Denver. We need an edge rusher first and foremost. We may actually have him in Junior Galette, but I think we draft a pass rusher. We could grab a big body for insurance late in the draft.


Good to know. How do you think Lofton fits in to a 3-4 I know he has been primarily in a 4-3?


I really don't know...He is a solid tackling machine, and he was the only bright spot in a years for LBers we've had. I'm concerned that he won't adapt just like Vilma didn't in NY. But at the same time, I think he has a chip on his shoulders to be better and deep down I see his is a great competitor. As long as there aren't too many situations where he has to play coverage (which he is dreadful in) I think he gets better.
_________________


2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson

Keenan Lewis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group