Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints fire DC Steve Spagnoulo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yrba1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Spags goes back to Philly? It's possible he could go to New York as well but last I checked during the Rams-Giants game in 2011, he left with a sour taste to Coughlin
Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He played 3-4 DE in college and many people thought he would excel at it in the NFL, he's not a great it at 3-4 DE and I honestly see him cracking the top 5 3-4 DE list by the end of next year. He'll probably bulk up a bit and be around 300 pounds to start next year.

That's a tough list to crack.

JJ Watt, Justin Smith, Calais Campbell, Ngata, Mcdonald, Antonio Smith, corey liuget. It will take a phenomenal season.

I'm not sure how he finished but I know at some point he was statistically the best run stopping DE in the league and he showed some good pass rush moves towards the end of the year, I think he should step right in at 3-4 DE and offer dominant run support and good pass rush.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

year 1 typically goes well since there's no film on the defense. Should be an improvement just because of that.

You guys need an edge rusher though.
Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
year 1 typically goes well since there's no film on the defense. Should be an improvement just because of that.

Junior Galette should honestly be a goo edge rusher if he can stay healthy, he's a freak athlete

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
sputney23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

Junior Galette should honestly be a goo edge rusher if he can stay healthy, he's a freak athlete

Martez Wilson as well

NS922 On the sig
popie70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that turn NT into a priority for the Saints? I don't know how big Bunkley is and if he can anchor well as 0 technique or if he fits as a penetrating NT in a 1 gap system
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
Does that turn NT into a priority for the Saints? I don't know how big Bunkley is and if he can anchor well as 0 technique or if he fits as a penetrating NT in a 1 gap system

Negative. we have Bunkley who was a pretty good NT in Denver. We need an edge rusher first and foremost. We may actually have him in Junior Galette, but I think we draft a pass rusher. We could grab a big body for insurance late in the draft.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson

Keenan Lewis
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spagnuolo has Philly written all over him.

I do think he's a hell of a schemer. One of the best if you ask me. But he needs to learn to be a lot more flexible with the way players run the plays. Needs to be more of a players coach as well. When in St. Louis, you could tell he ran this team like he was the king of the world. Players had no say in anything. He was as strict as could be.

Also think he got the short end of the stick in New Orleans. They were screwed from the beginning of the season and he had nothing to work with. I think he could really rejuvenate his coaching career with a move to the Eagles.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
popie70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Negative. we have Bunkley who was a pretty good NT in Denver. We need an edge rusher first and foremost. We may actually have him in Junior Galette, but I think we draft a pass rusher. We could grab a big body for insurance late in the draft.

Good to know. How do you think Lofton fits in to a 3-4 I know he has been primarily in a 4-3?
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
popie70 wrote:

The Saints secondary its also a mess. No telling what they do with that garbage heap. Jenkins and Harper are clueless in pass defense. I could easily see the Saints falling in love with a guy like Elam.

But as of this time with the scheme change, you would imagine that the Saints go front 7. They will take BPA between edge rusher and NT. Buckley is under contract for a few more years, so I would imagine that he will get an opportunity to start at NT. Dion Jordan and Bark Mingo look like great choices. If not a trade back for Jenkins or Williams at NT would be ideal.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
Spagnuolo has Philly written all over him.

I do think he's a hell of a schemer. One of the best if you ask me. But he needs to learn to be a lot more flexible with the way players run the plays. Needs to be more of a players coach as well. When in St. Louis, you could tell he ran this team like he was the king of the world. Players had no say in anything. He was as strict as could be.

Also think he got the short end of the stick in New Orleans. They were screwed from the beginning of the season and he had nothing to work with. I think he could really rejuvenate his coaching career with a move to the Eagles.

He was doomed from the start. He needs his type of players to succeed. He didn't in New Orleans. The Saints clearly had better -3-4 personnel and Spags was too rigid in his ways to adapt.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the 3-4 switch without a quality DC for the scheme. Should have gotten Ryan before he went to St. Louis.

I like it with their personnel on defense. Martez Wilson will be an interesting OLB with his speed. Cam Jordan is going to excel immensely. I liked him as a LDE in a 4-3, but as a 3-4 RDE, I think he'll be an elite player.

I guess this means Vilma is done? Lord knows he was average-at-best in a 3-4.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saints should hire Romeo Crennel. Top 3-4 DC and he's on the market.

Spags could end up in Philly. The Eagles i believe are the only team in the NFL besides New Orleans that has a DC vacancy. Didn't he use to work with the Eagles? Seems like a good match.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I don't get the 3-4 switch without a quality DC for the scheme. Should have gotten Ryan before he went to St. Louis.

I like it with their personnel on defense. Martez Wilson will be an interesting OLB with his speed. Cam Jordan is going to excel immensely. I liked him as a LDE in a 4-3, but as a 3-4 RDE, I think he'll be an elite player.

I guess this means Vilma is done? Lord knows he was average-at-best in a 3-4.

Few comments about this post:

I think Ryan wanted the Rams job the entire time. I doubt he would have declined the Rams coordinator job and his old buddy Jeff Fisher for a job with the Saints.

Another thing, Jonathan Vilma has been done for 2 seasons. He's a bad player.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Good to know. How do you think Lofton fits in to a 3-4 I know he has been primarily in a 4-3?

I really don't know...He is a solid tackling machine, and he was the only bright spot in a years for LBers we've had. I'm concerned that he won't adapt just like Vilma didn't in NY. But at the same time, I think he has a chip on his shoulders to be better and deep down I see his is a great competitor. As long as there aren't too many situations where he has to play coverage (which he is dreadful in) I think he gets better.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson

Keenan Lewis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: