Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFC Rivals: Friend or Foe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When your team is out of the equation; do you root for or against your NFC West Rivals?
Root for them
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Root against them
76%
 76%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 17

SFaithful97

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: NFC Rivals: Friend or Foe? Reply with quote

I posted this in all the other NFC West forums and figured it would be fun to see the results in our own as well.

When your team is out of playoff contention (meaning the playoffs are underway, and your team is eliminated or didn't qualify), do you root for or against your division rivals? I have always had more hatred for the Cowboys and the Falcons than I have for say the Cardinals. More than that, I take the term "representing the NFC west" in its literal meaning. I feel that anything that gets some recognition for a team not in NY, Dallas, etc is a good thing. I rooted for the Hawks (my most hated division rival) against the Steelers as well as the Cards against the Steelers a few years later.

I equate it to my own experience in sports. I tried out for the olympics some years back, but ended up the alternate (never made the team). Even though the guys who I competed with to make the tournament beat me, I still rooted for them to do well so as to make my status as their runner up feel like less of a failure. Also I guess if they won, I knew for sure I wouldn't have been able to do better myself.

I suppose I am just curious how the fans of the NFC West feel about this question. Fire away.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never root for any NFC West team ever. Especially the Seahawks. I want no West team winning Super Bowls.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no allegiance to the division or the conference, so it depends on the teams playing. Even then, it depends on circumstances. I remember rooting for the Colts against the Bears, but rooting for the Saints against the Colts. And now, I just enjoy every Saints' loss as they come. So circumstances... some years, like last year, I truly wish both teams could lose. I remember rooting against the Rams, when they played the Titans, but that was mostly because I had a bet on.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on who they're playing. The only team I'd never root for no matter what are the Seacheaters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
It depends on who they're playing. The only team I'd never root for no matter what are the Seacheaters.

+ 1 to this.

If the Rams/Cards are battling the Cowpukes in the NFCCG? I'm pulling for the Rams/Cards.

In most cases, I'm a "death to the NFCW rivals" kinda guy though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see myself maybe cheering for the Rams or Cards. But I hate the Seachickens way to much to even consider it. Easily my least favorite team in the NFL.

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I will never root for any NFC West team ever. Especially the Seahawks. I want no West team winning Super Bowls.

What about when the Steelers beat the Cardinals to get to 6? Or when they beat the Seahawks to get to 5?

I went against the Steelers both times as I did not want them tying, nor going ahead of us in the Super Bowl title hunt. So I have to agree with Rudy here, it all just depends on the situation

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

+ 1 to this.

If the Rams/Cards are battling the Cowpukes in the NFCCG? I'm pulling for the Rams/Cards.

In most cases, I'm a "death to the NFCW rivals" kinda guy though.

All of this.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
neezy007

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only team I could bring myself to root for in the division is the Rams. I like some of their players an I used to root for them to win when they were the GSOT. I didn't know about the long time rivalry between the teams at that age. I started following football on a day to day basis when I was 12 in 02. But I rooted for the Rams in 99.

I rooted against both the chickens and the cards in their SB appearances. I will never root for the Chickens and I may root for the cards but only if they were playing against the Patriots or something.

Most Hated list:
1. Patriots
2. Chickens
3. Cowboys
49ers4life52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only team I have no problem with in the division are the Cards. I used to hate the rams a lot because one of my friends was the biggest Ram homer of all time, but my hate towards them has died down a little. The Seahawks will never get any kind of support from me.

^Kempes^
neezy007

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so much hate for the chickens?

Mine: they were on top for a while, close physical games, Carroll, and their fans. Sherman and browner have added to this.
TKWSNx93

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends. For example, I rooted for the Cardinals to beat the Steelers in the Superbowl because 1. I didn't want the Steelers to get 6 Superbowls and 2. I feel bad for Arizona fans. That franchise has done diddly squat. They've been around since the 40s and other than the 1947 NFL Championship, they didn't win a single playoff game until 1999.

I rooted for the Rams in 1999 because I liked Marshall Faulk, and because they hadn't won a Superbowl yet. They were a fun team to watch. I did however root against them in 2001 because I thought the Tom Brady emergence was real remarkable and I wanted the Patriots to finally win a Superbowl.

I rooted against the Seahawks in 2005 but I have to admit that Superbowl had some of the most absurd calls I have ever seen in my entire life. The Steelers were handed that Superbowl. The refs were calling all these phantom penalties on literally every positive thing that happened for the Seahawks. BUT I will never ever root for the Seahawks. They have some of the most obnoxious, delusional, arrogant, ignorant fans I have ever met. ESPECIALLY online. Those guys can go ahead and get zero Superbowls and I will have no remorse for it
Rejuvenation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about the rest of the NFC West so I don't really care what the rest of the division teams do when they are playing. They haven't established themselves as 'rivals' in my mind the way our inter-conference rivals have.

I did root for Warner when he went to that SB against the Steelers. Granted that had far more to do with the player than who he was playing for.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
I think the only team I could bring myself to root for in the division is the Rams. I like some of their players an I used to root for them to win when they were the GSOT. I didn't know about the long time rivalry between the teams at that age. I started following football on a day to day basis when I was 12 in 02. But I rooted for the Rams in 99.

I rooted against both the chickens and the cards in their SB appearances. I will never root for the Chickens and I may root for the cards but only if they were playing against the Patriots or something.

Most Hated list:
1. Patriots
2. Chickens
3. Cowboys

My Current Most Hated List:

1. Eagles
2. Cowboys
3. Seahawks
4. Steelers
5. Rams

Everything but the top 2 fluctuates from year to year. Teams like the Patriots, Jets, Packers, Cardinals, and Giants may reach top 5 status. I hate the Eagles and Steelers because I am in 'disputed' territory where fans of both are everywhere, and just about all of them are as annoying as can possibly be. And some of them are really nasty, and I hope nothing good happens to them in their entire lives.

The Rams I'll always have a special kind of hatred for as I've wanted them to be terrible for longer than all the other division rivals.

So, in short, I cheered for the Steelers against the Seahawks, but the Cardinals against the Steelers. #6 had nothing to do with it for me, as I likely would have still cheered for the Cardinals in 2005, or against the Seahawks in 2008.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooted for the Cards when they played the Steelers in the Super Bowl. Mostly because I hate the Steelers and love Fitzgerald and Warner. Rooted for the Seahawks vs New Orleans when they made the playoffs with a losing record, but only for the lulz. It all depends on the matchup, but the only one I would never root for to win the SB is Seattle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: