Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Texans sign 8 Reply with quote

Keith Browner
Jake Byrne
Delano Johnson
Case Keenum
Jeff Maehl
Stephen McGee
Mike Mohamed
Nick Mondek

not really ground breaking but i am a little intrigued by signing Stephen McGee, he might actually have a shot at being a 3rd QB
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans sign 8 Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Keith Browner
Jake Byrne
Delano Johnson
Case Keenum
Jeff Maehl
Stephen McGee
Mike Mohamed
Nick Mondek

not really ground breaking but i am a little intrigued by signing Stephen McGee, he might actually have a shot at being a 3rd QB

Agreed. McGee at least gives them a low rent mobile QB to play around with and see what that component adds to THIS team. However, it is crazy that some people are making wild comparisons of possibilities in our system like how lil Shanny was able to adapt our system to RGIII, referencing what Steve Young added with his legs to a similar WCO system built for Joe Montana, or speaking of John Elway's mobility.

1) There has been exactly 1 QB in NFL history with world class speed, world class arm and accuracy, and high level intelligence, character, leadership and work ethic. There is one RGIII and he doesn't play for us.
2) Steve Young was a hall of famer on a roster full of hall of famers. It's about as relevant to our situation as saying you can win a Super Bowl with a backup QB (as long as that backup is Steve Young or Tom Brady).
3) The Elway reference is the funniest. Sure, he would run for 200-250 yards per season (usually two yards at a time) but this was no "mobile QB" aside from the one helicopter play most remember. Again, that's great if there was another John Elway available to us, but last time I checked, the closest thing in a generation was drafted #1 overall by the Colts.

What I don't think people recognize is that Schaub operates under a highly micromanaged situation from Kubiak where he has little freedom to audible, better yet be "creative" when outside the pocket. He operates under strict orders to protect the ball at all costs including throwing the ball away in situations of duress and to avoid taking unnecessary hits as its better to kill a drive than to kill a season like 07, 08, and 11. This past season was almost certainly an overcorrection, but he did remain healthy for 18 games, and let's not forget that he was coming of a lisfranc injury that many feared could be career altering or ending (as it has been for some RBs). While I don't excuse away some of Schaub's conservative play especially in the playoffs and throwing the ball away when it looks like he could just run and slide for 5 yard gains, but this was also his first playoff run and I expect he has now learned that you have to throw away some of the "rules" you follow in win or go home situations and to not leave plays on the field.

I do flatly reject the notion that the QB running out of play action or the naked boot is an essential option to this offense as by it's nature it's designed to fool the defense and create uncovered tertiary receivers normally covered by LBs or Safeties who bite. It strikes me as more essential to have dynamic options at TE, WR2, WR3 that can maintain separation and actually get open on play action than it is for the QB to be able to run if they don't. I recognize that the Kaepernick effect is going to ripple for a while, but the 49ers would have been in the Super Bowl last year with Alex Smith if not for an idiot kick returner and it still remains to be seen what will happen when DCs have time to break down his tape and adjust. Kaepernicks "run" of success has included "shootout" wins against soft defenses including Green Bay and Atlanta in the playoffs and losses against the good defenses like Seattle and a loss and a tie against Fisher's Rams.

Again, find me a Kaepernick quality player available when we pick in the 2nd round at #58, I may be interested, but it's also possible that was just a lucky stroke that won't be repeated for many years, like us drafting a RB in the 2nd round, but finding our franchise RB already on our roster as a motivated UDFA. Doesn't mean everyone else should stop drafting RBs and think they'll find the next Arian Foster stashed on their practice squad.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt McGee seriously hurt his non throwing shoulder and labrum ? I remember him working out for us this season.

Maehl seem like he been on the practice squad for about 5 years. Laughing I was a fan of him when he was at Oregon and thought he could have been a pretty decent 4th receiver.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans sign 8 Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Keith Browner
Jake Byrne
Delano Johnson
Case Keenum
Jeff Maehl
Stephen McGee
Mike Mohamed
Nick Mondek

Oh yes, more directly on topic. I don't know what we are seeing in Jeff Maehl. Sure, he's a hard working over-achiever type, but if you've ever seen him in practice/camp, when we put him out there, it looks like we let the high school waterboy get a few courtesy reps as there just is no NFL body or skillset there. You would expect a scrawny kid like that to at least be fast, but he and Jean put up two of the slowest 40 times at the combine. When I first read about him, I was thinking Welker, but Welker actually uses his smaller stature to his advantage including that tough scrappy streak that allows Brady to just throw low to him and let him plow under guys, while Maehl is a 6' 1" and completely devoid of muscle tone considering he weighs the same as Welker despite being 4 inches taller and nobody is confusing Welker with Steve Smith from a strength standpoint.

Maehl did excel at the shuttle drills and was ridiculous at the 3 cone drill with one of the best times ever which I do suspect is the allure. I have always felt there was a place for a guy in our system that could get off the line quickly and cut inside for all those 5 yard passes Jacoby (and now Martin) could never catch, but I would have thought that if Maehl could do this, we would have seen it by now. I suspect that while he has theoretical quickness in drills, that goes out the window when you have no strength to fend off defenders either at the line or when you get drilled by 250 pound LBs in short space. He's also so friggin narrow I doubt he provides a decent target and being tall in the slot leads to ints as we saw when Jacoby tipped passes to LBs for gift ints. Somebody that slow in the 40 and lacking in any strength would be pretty useless in coverage teams, but I'd guess he could make some people miss as a punt returner for a while before going out for the season the first time he's drilled. For goodness sakes, I've never seen an NFL player who's helmet looked so big compared to his shoulders.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
treece300e

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans sign 8 Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Keith Browner
Jake Byrne
Delano Johnson
Case Keenum
Jeff Maehl
Stephen McGee
Mike Mohamed
Nick Mondek

Oh yes, more directly on topic. I don't know what we are seeing in Jeff Maehl. Sure, he's a hard working over-achiever type, but if you've ever seen him in practice/camp, when we put him out there, it looks like we let the high school waterboy get a few courtesy reps as there just is no NFL body or skillset there. You would expect a scrawny kid like that to at least be fast, but he and Jean put up two of the slowest 40 times at the combine. When I first read about him, I was thinking Welker, but Welker actually uses his smaller stature to his advantage including that tough scrappy streak that allows Brady to just throw low to him and let him plow under guys, while Maehl is a 6' 1" and completely devoid of muscle tone considering he weighs the same as Welker despite being 4 inches taller and nobody is confusing Welker with Steve Smith from a strength standpoint.

Maehl did excel at the shuttle drills and was ridiculous at the 3 cone drill with one of the best times ever which I do suspect is the allure. I have always felt there was a place for a guy in our system that could get off the line quickly and cut inside for all those 5 yard passes Jacoby (and now Martin) could never catch, but I would have thought that if Maehl could do this, we would have seen it by now. I suspect that while he has theoretical quickness in drills, that goes out the window when you have no strength to fend off defenders either at the line or when you get drilled by 250 pound LBs in short space. He's also so friggin narrow I doubt he provides a decent target and being tall in the slot leads to ints as we saw when Jacoby tipped passes to LBs for gift ints. Somebody that slow in the 40 and lacking in any strength would be pretty useless in coverage teams, but I'd guess he could make some people miss as a punt returner for a while before going out for the season the first time he's drilled. For goodness sakes, I've never seen an NFL player who's helmet looked so big compared to his shoulders.

While he's not in the NFL yet, Kenjon Barner comes pretty close to the "Bobblehead" look of Maehl. Perhaps it's just the uniforms. Wink

ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CASE KEENUM IS GOING TO START

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: