Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In for the Long Haul?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: In for the Long Haul? Reply with quote

So, it seems that Jake Long and the Dolphins are talking about a new deal. The issue, as we have ALL guessed is, how much would it take to sign Long?
ESPN reported that the Dolphins have offered a "low ball" offer. Jake Long's camp has reported that Jake Long like to think of himself as the best in the business at what he does, and one way he knows he is the best is by being paid the most at his position. Clearly, both sides are posturing.

Ireland said "Jake [Long] has a decision to make, we have a decision to make. It's a very, very difficult decision, complicated negotiation," Ireland said.

Ireland also made it clear the Dolphins wouldn't rule out using the franchise tag this season. Long made $11.2 million in 2012, and his tentative franchise number is $15.365 million.

I thought a thread dedicated to the Long negotiations was in order. Personally, I believe that if Jake Long is allowed to walk with no compensation the Ireland is a bigger tool than I already believe him to be. I am NOT opposed to franchising him for a year and seeing if he can improve in the scheme he was just learning. In the same way we saw Richie Incognito improve as the season went along, I believe Jake Long can and will improve in this system.

Beyond that, I have zero faith that Jonathan Martin can effectively hold down the blind side of Tannehill. Given another year of strength and conditioning I think its possible, but I'd prefer Long be around AT LEAST one more year.
mountainpd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a HEALTHY Jake Long is too good not to improve in this system but how healthy will he remain for the money is the calculation.

My fear like yours is the lack of belief (prey im proved wrong) I have in J martin at Left tackle.

I would love the elusive tag and trade but cant see it because of the infrequent use of this.

^^^Kempes^^^
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article that is pretty critical of Long...

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/01/the-dolphins-and-jake-long-have-been-talking-about-a-new-contract-on-and-off-for-nearly-five-months-now-and-while-the-talks.html

Apparently he has a sizable ego...

Quote:
"He's one of those guys that likes the idea of being the best at what he does and one way he proves to everyone that he is is by being the highest paid at what he does," one Dolphins source told me recently. "Yeah, there's a considerable amount of professional ego there."

If this is the case then he's going to expect to be paid and he's just not worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be shocked if Miami tagged Long. It's also hard for me to see him traded.

I think some team will want him enough to offer him much more than we are.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuces Jake. Go take your injury prone, overpaid behind to Oakland to you and Sparano can pal around again and we can watch both of you go down in flames once again.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Long may think he is the best, his mom may think he is the best, I don't think he is the best. Now he wants to be paid again like he is still the best. Jeff Ireland can negotiate with Longs camp all he wants, it still comes down to production, production and production.

Jake Long hasn't made it to the end of the season now for two straight years. So how is he going to help a team in the playoffs when hes out by week 15. His play at LT was off this year when he was on the field.

The misstep here was not trading him last year. Ireland would only compound the mistake by franchising him this year or paying him top dollar on a long term contract.

I believe there are only two moves the Dolphins have :

1) Let him walk.
2) A contract that averages no more than 9.75 million over the duration of the contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long might not even be a top 5 free agent tackle, and the only reason you'd even think about paying him anything in that price range is because he's been a Dolphin already. You damn sure wouldn't pay him 10 or 11 million a year if he were coming from somewhere else, much less 15 mil to franchise him.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Deuces Jake. Go take your injury prone, overpaid behind to Oakland to you and Sparano can pal around again and we can watch both of you go down in flames once again.

"Hey Tony, you just hot hired by the Raiders...

"Hey Tony, the Dolphins let Jake Long test Free Agency"

"Hey Tony, he wants 13 million a year"

"Hey Tony, JAke got hurt week 12"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:

Monk wins the internet.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Jake back, but PD was right all along. Upon educating myself on the financials of the NFL I wouldn't give him 1/3 of my cap room. I would pay him $7-8 million. 4 year deal for like $40 million. Backload it with easy exits for the team after first and second season. Good for both because if healthy he would be 29 and getting PAID by either Miami or we cut him due to $ and someone else pays him. Give him $7 this year, $9 next year, and $14 the next season.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
patdt13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:

Post of the year.

You win, sir.

Xbox Live GT: With The Tide
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. This is NOT about "learning a new system" .... This is about your physical skill set combined with a small dose of muscle memory. Jake long knows what the ZBS is, but because of his lack of athleticism, he will always get hurt doing it.

NONE OF YOU can point to an injury that was due to contact with a defender. THAT IS FACT. Jake Long is Alex Rodriguez with a good reputation.

2. The finances of sports say that you pay a player for the future and verbally commend him on his past.

3. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL that under this CURRENT CBA, I'm gonna tie up a 3rd of my cap space in one player. I don't care who he is, that's just bad business.

4. Any doubts about Jonathan Martin are exaggerated. He came to the NFL and played a new position that did not suit his skill set as a rookie. Then when Jake folded like a chair, he changed positions to LT and HAD ONE BAD GAME against new england. Until that NE game nobody had complaints about Martin at LT and Jake Long hasn't been right since someone came up to him and said .... "I'd like to introduce you to Brian Daboll" ... So to give Jake Long a pass and close the book on a rookie is inconsistent thinking at best.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:

NONE OF YOU can point to an injury that was due to contact with a defender. THAT IS FACT. Jake Long is Alex Rodriguez with a good reputation.

I may be remembering this incorrectly but didnt Jakes knee injury start because his leg got rolled up by a defender??

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT is an important position but I have an extremely hard time spending 10-12 million a year for any position other than a QB.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphin Dave wrote:
LT is an important position but I have an extremely hard time spending 10-12 million a year for any position other than a QB.

If Long is asking for that much, then letting him walk makes sense. What wouldn't make sense is why didn't they unload him last year when he had trade value. But I agree, 10-12 million is too much. I don't think Long will make that much this coming season, but we shall see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: