Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In for the Long Haul?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Jonathan Martin was one of the worst starting tackles in the entire NFL last season. He graded out in the bottom 5 of the entire league. Anyone who thinks its a good idea to put him in as our LT next season is high as a kite. If people want to let Long walk and find a cheaper alternative, fine, but the idea that we simply plug one of the worst tackles in the game in as our starter on the right side is ludicrous. Martin must get stronger. He must improve his foot work and he sure as heck shouldn't be given a starting gig ANYWHERE on the offensive line without competition.

As for Long, why is that people think that the light came on for Incognito late in the season, but the light can't come on for Jake Long? Jake Long had about half a season in the ZBS and, I agree, was mediocre. Incognito was gawd awful, definitely worse than Long, for the first part of the season. Incognito got used to the style of play and improved. I see no reason at all the same can't be expected from Long. With that said, I agree he is no where near worth 10 million a season. However, he was better than any offensive Tackle we had on the team last year and the film breakdown proves that. The only valid questions to me are, what is he worth and will he play for us for that.

If we let Long walk, which might be the right plan, then it looks to me like we need two starting tackles next season. Martin can't be counted on.

I can't stress enough the issue with Jake Long is NOT play. He was average. Okay, great. Fine. The issues is the economics of the offensive line and his health. He has had sustained major injuries which have had a negative effect on his play on the field for the last 3 seasons. Injuries ENDED his last 2. He is on the Anthony Boselli train. Lit the league up first few years and out of the league in 7 because of health issues.

If Jake Long wants to come back and play for Miami for 5-6 million dollars, okay. I can live with that. I would welcome him back with wide open arms. But he wants double that. It's laughable. For a guy with knee, shoulder, biceps and triceps injuries/surgeries in the last 24 months, its LAUGHABLE. So I'm not about to waste 10 million dollars on a guy who is literally falling apart and has too big of an ego to know it just to watch him go down Week 14 with another injury when I can spend that money on 2-3 quality players for this football team. Give me Sebastian Vollmer and Fred Davis for approximately the same amount of money Jake Long is asking for. Would you REALLY rather have Jake Long over Vollmer and Davis?

If you think Long will take 5-6 million to play for anyone you are crazy. If Long is tageting 10M+, he will definately get 8M. I also think you guys severely underestimate teams need for a LT. Miami is going to franchise Jake Long. Much the same way they franchised Solai. They have too. This would be a different arguement if Jonathan Martin did not show signs of being a bust. Martin is a liability and cannot be trusted to protect PERIOD. His number one job descripton is to protect and he cannot do it. Sure he may improve but there is not that improvement from one year to the next.

The right move is to franchise Jake Long and continue building the line through the draft. The real question is if they should pay Sean Smith, which I am not so sure is a good idea. He is far from a top tier cornerback.

If Sean Smith gets more then 5 million a year he grifted someone bad. He could be a solid number 2, but is going to want top ten CB money and is no where near worth it. The CBs in Free Agency are pretty deep not to mention a good CB draft.

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Jonathan Martin was one of the worst starting tackles in the entire NFL last season. He graded out in the bottom 5 of the entire league. Anyone who thinks its a good idea to put him in as our LT next season is high as a kite. If people want to let Long walk and find a cheaper alternative, fine, but the idea that we simply plug one of the worst tackles in the game in as our starter on the right side is ludicrous. Martin must get stronger. He must improve his foot work and he sure as heck shouldn't be given a starting gig ANYWHERE on the offensive line without competition.

As for Long, why is that people think that the light came on for Incognito late in the season, but the light can't come on for Jake Long? Jake Long had about half a season in the ZBS and, I agree, was mediocre. Incognito was gawd awful, definitely worse than Long, for the first part of the season. Incognito got used to the style of play and improved. I see no reason at all the same can't be expected from Long. With that said, I agree he is no where near worth 10 million a season. However, he was better than any offensive Tackle we had on the team last year and the film breakdown proves that. The only valid questions to me are, what is he worth and will he play for us for that.

If we let Long walk, which might be the right plan, then it looks to me like we need two starting tackles next season. Martin can't be counted on.

I can't stress enough the issue with Jake Long is NOT play. He was average. Okay, great. Fine. The issues is the economics of the offensive line and his health. He has had sustained major injuries which have had a negative effect on his play on the field for the last 3 seasons. Injuries ENDED his last 2. He is on the Anthony Boselli train. Lit the league up first few years and out of the league in 7 because of health issues.

If Jake Long wants to come back and play for Miami for 5-6 million dollars, okay. I can live with that. I would welcome him back with wide open arms. But he wants double that. It's laughable. For a guy with knee, shoulder, biceps and triceps injuries/surgeries in the last 24 months, its LAUGHABLE. So I'm not about to waste 10 million dollars on a guy who is literally falling apart and has too big of an ego to know it just to watch him go down Week 14 with another injury when I can spend that money on 2-3 quality players for this football team. Give me Sebastian Vollmer and Fred Davis for approximately the same amount of money Jake Long is asking for. Would you REALLY rather have Jake Long over Vollmer and Davis?

If you think Long will take 5-6 million to play for anyone you are crazy. If Long is tageting 10M+, he will definately get 8M. I also think you guys severely underestimate teams need for a LT. Miami is going to franchise Jake Long. Much the same way they franchised Solai. They have too. This would be a different arguement if Jonathan Martin did not show signs of being a bust. Martin is a liability and cannot be trusted to protect PERIOD. His number one job descripton is to protect and he cannot do it. Sure he may improve but there is not that improvement from one year to the next.

The right move is to franchise Jake Long and continue building the line through the draft. The real question is if they should pay Sean Smith, which I am not so sure is a good idea. He is far from a top tier cornerback.

I agree with this. It may seem odd coming from me, considering how much I've defended Sean Smith, but I am not sure he is worth what he might get paid. Coyle has had great success with CB's and Smith's play deteriorated the second half of the season last year.

I would retain Long before Smith.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

I agree with this. It may seem odd coming from me, considering how much I've defended Sean Smith, but I am not sure he is worth what he might get paid. Coyle has had great success with CB's and Smith's play deteriorated the second half of the season last year.

To be fair, Sean Smith's play deteriorated after Week 4 Laughing

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

really? I seem to recall good games all the way though the BYE in week 7. The entire defense struggled against the Colts and I never say Smith look the same after that. Not sure what happened. I know things changed a bit after Marshall went down, and perhaps coverage was rolling to Nolan Carroll's side of the field, but all I know is Smith wasn't the same.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

really? I seem to recall good games all the way though the BYE in week 7. The entire defense struggled against the Colts and I never say Smith look the same after that. Not sure what happened. I know things changed a bit after Marshall went down, and perhaps coverage was rolling to Nolan Carroll's side of the field, but all I know is Smith wasn't the same.

I think the theory going around is when Marshall dropped out, Miami changed their secondary scheme to help Carroll and as a result dropped into a zone scheme that Smith struggled with.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the dots ....

Tag this dude and :

1. Don't complain when he doesn't finish the season
2. Don't start your fire Jeff Ireland campaign because he didn't bring in the shiny new Free Agents you want to fill every hole.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:

I think the theory going around is when Marshall dropped out, Miami changed their secondary scheme to help Carroll and as a result dropped into a zone scheme that Smith struggled with.

I believe they changes the scheme to be more zone than man coverage because Nolan couldntnt play m2m. Problem is Smith is a better CB when he is up in his receivers face.

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishDolfan wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:

I believe they changes the scheme to be more zone than man coverage because Nolan couldntnt play m2m. Problem is Smith is a better CB when he is up in his receivers face.

Irish Dolfan

The question becomes.....what is the "normal" scheme for the defense? If the team is going to allow Smith to primarily play Man-2-Man then he may be worth resigning, but if they going to roll with a zone then it will be good to let him walk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
IrishDolfan wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:

Irish Dolfan

The question becomes.....what is the "normal" scheme for the defense? If the team is going to allow Smith to primarily play Man-2-Man then he may be worth resigning, but if they going to roll with a zone then it will be good to let him walk.

At the start of the season it was more M2M than zone I believe. Coyle adapts his defense based on serval factors. Personel is just one of them.

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
MiaDolphan13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/report-jake-long-wants-at-least-10-million-annually-772643.html

Would you pay jake 10 mil a year? I wouldnt exceed 7-8. But then i go back to thinking if we let him walk we create another hole.

-Courtesy of bpastermack talking about John Beck.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiaDolphan13 wrote:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/report-jake-long-wants-at-least-10-million-annually-772643.html

Would you pay jake 10 mil a year? I wouldnt exceed 7-8. But then i go back to thinking if we let him walk we create another hole.

I don't see how we can pay 10 mil a year for an OT that doesn't fit out system. I agree with the 7-8 mil range at the very most.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: