Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Revis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather use that money on resigning Dashon and then giving Aldon the huge contract he will probably be looking for in a couple years. The way I look at it we can trade for Revis who is getting, what, 14 million a year or we could use that money to lock up the guys we already have on the team. Great teams build through the draft. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a talent like Revis on our team, just not at the price it would ultimately cost us.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere he had player options for 2014 and beyond. I am curious if thats true or what those numbers look like but the fact he only counts 6 mil against the cap makes me think this would be a great trade for us. I dont think the jets would be dumb enough to trade him tho.

We need to add another corner this offseason regardless of what anyone thinks, I love brown and cully and I really like rodgers. Cox has played well too but that shouldnt be a reason to upgrade. like others have said this would make our defense one of the greatest of all time (esp if we can revamp our DL this offseason too). I am down for the one year rental (like deon sanders) if it means adding a guy like revis. I like the way he plays and he fits our scheme PERFECTLY!

I was originally thinking alex smith + 3rd + 6th but I wouldnt mind giving up a first on the condition he signs a deal for like 3 years. This would be a great deal! make it happen baalke

Please resign Frank Gore, Chris culliver and perrish cox
adamq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revis won't be traded.. HUGE cap penalties for the Jets if they move him, who are already over the cap

-kiltman
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotrac says a 9 mil cap hit? Yeah... fogitaboutit.

Whoops.. interpreted wrong.

3 mil base + some kind of miscellaneous 6 mil included.. hmm...

unless our hit is just 3 mil, no thanks.. just work on signing Goldson or tag him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have enough players on our roster that we are going to have to pick and choose to resign in the coming years. Revis' routine holdouts and money he would constantly ask for would do more damage to the team cap-wise than he could make up for on the field.
757-NINER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryRice80 wrote:
What would everybody give up assuming we could get a deal done?

I personally would happily give up a 1st 3rd and Alex Smith. We have a lot of picks this year and our only need is depth. Delanie Walker is more than capable as a number 2 tight end, sure he has his drops but he is very athletic and can make plays. The D-line depth can be drafted in later rounds. We have KW and Manningham to come back from injury and AJ will be more involved in year 2. With Revis our D would be instantly an all time great, think about how good our run D is when we commit to stopping the run? He would allow us to get back to our run stopping form of last year and still have a shutdown pass D. Revis is as close as you get to shutdown, when healthy he is potentially the best Defensive player in the league and certainly top 5. I know it will never happen but the thought of him with our D is incredible

Honestly, Revis and Watt are the ONLY two players in the league I would ever entertain giving up that much for but I think I would. He allows you so much flexibility as a DC. The only 'true' shutdown CB in the league. I'd actually trade them any number of picks they would be interested in. I don't see them having any interest in Alex and I don't see them trading Alex somewhere he doesn't want to go(seriously doubt he wants to go to New York). Now all this is assuming we could work out a long-term deal that was beneficial for both parties, which would probably be the biggest issue in getting a deal like this done. But having to face teams like the Saints, Packers, Falcons, and G-Men every year would have me jumping at the chance to sign Revis long-term if I could.

As far as the rest of your post, if they were to bring in a guy like Revis, he changes the structure of your salary cap so some personnel changes would probably be made. Walker would be as good as gone. No longer would have the cap sapce to make Walker a competive offer as a free agent. Plus, I just feel as though Walker has made himself expendable, with the drop passes. I don't see him in as a priority for Baalke and they'll look to Celek to step next year and probably spend a draft pick on Walker's replacement. Manningham's injury was so late in the year, there really is doubt he'll be ready to go by time TC rolls around in 2013. And with K-10 coming off a similar injury, you going to need to add more bodies to the WR corps. Moss isn't likely to be back. Ginn is a free agent. That basically just leaves AJ and Crabs as your only two healthy WRs. They're defintely spending a draft pick or two on a WR. And probably will sign a cheap vet FA receiver, who has some upside and could help out short-term.

Also bringing in a contract like Revis, means Carlos Rogers will probably be cut to spare cap room. Same for a guy like Goodwin, who's cap hit jumps to 5 million next year. And the fact that we have a young replacement being groomed to step right in when he leaves(Kilgore).
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

Quote:
"There's a Revis gold rush forming," the GM said. According to CBS' Mike Freeman, the Jets are asking for a first- and second-round pick in exchange for Revis, which certainly wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if he were healthy. It's a high price for a guy coming off a torn ACL. Teams that have been linked to Revis are the Patriots, Broncos, 49ers, Bills, Seahawks, and Packers, according to Freeman. You can rule out a trade with the division rival Patriots and Bills.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

Quote:
"There's a Revis gold rush forming," the GM said. According to CBS' Mike Freeman, the Jets are asking for a first- and second-round pick in exchange for Revis, which certainly wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if he were healthy. It's a high price for a guy coming off a torn ACL. Teams that have been linked to Revis are the Patriots, Broncos, 49ers, Bills, Seahawks, and Packers, according to Freeman. You can rule out a trade with the division rival Patriots and Bills.

I'm no GM, but I'd rate our chances of giving up a first, a second and $14 million for one guy as pretty darn close to zero.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, the thought of Revis on our defense really excites me.

That being said, that's a lot of money and draft picks, and I have been overly and pleasantly surprised at many of the picks we've been getting out of the draft, no matter how early/late they were.

As much as I hate to say it.....pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
I'll be honest, the thought of Revis on our defense really excites me.

That being said, that's a lot of money and draft picks, and I have been overly and pleasantly surprised at many of the picks we've been getting out of the draft, no matter how early/late they were.

As much as I hate to say it.....pass.
A trade of our 1st, Alex, and a future 3rd for him would seem fair to me value-wise, and clear up some of the cap room we would need to sign him (the rest likely from Rogers being cut). I still think it would handicap our efforts to sign Goldson though, so it comes down to priorities. While I really want to keep Goldson, I will admit that our safeties would be a much lower priority if we had Revis on one half of the field. It is exciting to think about, but I don't see it as a feasible possibility.

I heard some say they don't believe Alex could handle being QB in NY, I disagree. Whatever you think of him as a player, he is mentally tough and handles the media well.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 1st round pick is going to be late anyways, and we have 14 picks this year. We definitely could work something out with even including a 2nd round pick for next season.

2013 1st and 3rd
2014 2nd

I would have NO problem with that what so ever. He is going to be expensive, but releasing Rogers will shed some salary off as well. The thought of Culliver and Revis for the next five years is enticing. He could be our Deion Sanders and this defense would be NASTY.

Paraag Marathe lets do this!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Our 1st round pick is going to be late anyways, and we have 14 picks this year. We definitely could work something out with even including a 2nd round pick for next season.

2013 1st and 3rd
2014 2nd

I would have NO problem with that what so ever. He is going to be expensive, but releasing Rogers will shed some salary off as well. The thought of Culliver and Revis for the next five years is enticing. He could be our Deion Sanders and this defense would be NASTY.

Paraag Marathe lets do this!
Can't link the sight per Forum rules but here are the cap numbers for five particular players next year.

................Signed....2013 salary.......Roster........Incentive......Base
A. Smith.....2013......$9,750,000....$1,000,000...$1,250,000...$7,500,000

C. Rogers...2015......$7,344,531......$250,000.............0.........$5,500,000

P. Haralson.2013......$2,870,000......$100,000.............0.........$2,570,000

J. Goodwin..2013......$5,016,667............0...........$650,000.....$3,500,000

M. Manninham.13.....$4,950,000......$250,000.............0..........$3,600,000

Can whomever the capologist for our forum is please explain what the actual cap savings would be for cutting any of these players? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting Smith and Haralson would save around 9.5M, about 16M with Rogers. Not sure why wed want to dump Goodwin and Manningham..

-kiltman

Last edited by adamq on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we dumped 4 of those 5 (keep Manningham), we would have no problem getting Revis. Only this is what would the Jets want in return? Shocked
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
If we dumped 4 of those 5 (keep Manningham), we would have no problem getting Revis. Only this is what would the Jets want in return? Shocked

No, we were more so speaking on clearing the cap by letting go some of those players. Now, the Jets will want draft picks in return, and possibly Alex Smith as well. Make it happen!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: