Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade #6 for Revis?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Milliner
- cost #6
- would cost 500k per year for 5 years...

#6 overall makes a lot more than $500K, and rarely are contracts 5 years anymore.

Morris Claiborne signed a 4 year $16M contract last year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/morris-claiborne/

Revis for 6 is just a bad idea all around.

Teams hold the rights for 5th year under the new rookie wage scale for 1st rounders.

Your correct on the wage, bad info from the site I was looking at. Expected salary could be approx. 1.2-1.4 million first year.... WAY less than Revis.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revis and a 2nd for the 6th wouldn't be bad. Pending we can get an extension done. Front load the contract for this year so we can reach the cap floor
bruceb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
Entropy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Mastercheddaar wrote:
NO! Period. We can get a younger cheaper maybe better CB in the draft.

that is all

Mastercheddaar

We're not going to get a better CB

How do you know that candy? Remember, no one but the Jets gets his first 6 years. We need to look at what he offers the Browns going forward.

I don't think, as of right now, that it is much of a stretch to see someone like Milliner do better than Revis over the next 5-6 years.

We are still trying to build our team. We have no 2nd and cant afford to trade #6 for a injury ridden cb who holds out on his team.

Yes, that's another reason why I don't want him.

And to duke:

If a team is able to stop the run and rush the passer, they still will get a pass off more than not. It's not like there are defenses that consistently prevent a QB from throwing the ball on over 50% of dropbacks or something.

And the truth is that we were able to stop the run and rush the passer more than adequately last year with our front 7. The problem was that our defensive backfield, as a whole, did not play the pass very well. We gave up 27 passing TDs for 21st in the NFL. We were 11th in the NFL in INTs, but only 11 of our 17 INTs were from DBs. We also were 25th in passing yardage given up.

No matter what scheme a defense runs, at least 4 or 5 good DBs are required to defend against the pass.

The Cards were #10 in the NFL in passing TDs allowed, and they were #2 in INTs. 18 of their 22 INTs came from DBs. (5th in passing yardage) They had 38 sacks.

The Seahawks were #2 in passing TDs allowed and #8 in INTs. 14 of their 18 INTs came from DBs. (6th in passing yardage) They had 36 sacks.
The 49ers were #4 in yards, #7 in passing TDs given up and #16 in INTs. They had 38 sacks.

The Ravens were #17 in yards and #19 in INTs, but they were #2 in passing TDs given up. The had exactly the same amount of sacks (37) as the Browns.

Our pass rush was not the problem last year, it was the defensive backfield.

Now, I'm not against acquiring more pass rushers, but certainly not at the expense of losing a good DB.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Milliner....I wouldn't be against him at 6. Especially since our DBS played horrible last year.....but regardless the Browns have to shore up the backfield. I wouldn't flat out give up the #6 pick for Revis, but swapping picks in the 1st to allow us to shore up a lackluster defensive backfield, and give us 1st rights at him going forward. I'm down.

In FA the Browns will have to fight other teams for players to come here. If winning is their passion instead of money, lets be real here.....the Browns really haven't blown up anyone's dress in that category. The Browns need to bring in attractive pieces to the puzzle to even have other players say....wow...they really want to win.

Shoot.....I'm not saying I wanted Chip Kelly, but he didn't even want to coach here b/c we don't have solidarity or a little bite to go with our loud bark. It's time we bring in strength at positions. We all hope that Lombardi and company will bring in great rookies, but we need a strength somewhere to be comfortable going forward.

Will he cost a boatload in cash? Sure will, but with $49.8 mil....the Browns can front load the humpty out of that contract.

We do have others to resign in the next year or 2. I'm not going to lie and say I know all of them or even half for that matter, but with all the cap room we do have available now, the Browns need strength at a position. Joe Haden and Revis would do that. As for his ACL injury. Look at Peterson and others that have had surgery recently for a torn ACL. They've comeback as strong or if not stronger. That doesn't scare me. Technology and great doctors....I applaud you. No Fear.

Not to get off topic in a sense.....what top FA would want to come to Cleveland at this point? New regime again, new schemes again, no solidarity at the QB position again and last but not least.....so many holes to fill again. I'm never a pessimist when it comes to the Browns....but it's about time we make things happen, not sit and wait for things.....again.

I've had a horrible week and I missed you guys. Hahaha

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
duke2056

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Mastercheddaar wrote:

that is all

Mastercheddaar

How do you know that candy? Remember, no one but the Jets gets his first 6 years. We need to look at what he offers the Browns going forward.

I don't think, as of right now, that it is much of a stretch to see someone like Milliner do better than Revis over the next 5-6 years.

We are still trying to build our team. We have no 2nd and cant afford to trade #6 for a injury ridden cb who holds out on his team.

And to duke:

If a team is able to stop the run and rush the passer, they still will get a pass off more than not. It's not like there are defenses that consistently prevent a QB from throwing the ball on over 50% of dropbacks or something.

And the truth is that we were able to stop the run and rush the passer more than adequately last year with our front 7. The problem was that our defensive backfield, as a whole, did not play the pass very well. We gave up 27 passing TDs for 21st in the NFL. We were 11th in the NFL in INTs, but only 11 of our 17 INTs were from DBs. We also were 25th in passing yardage given up.

No matter what scheme a defense runs, at least 4 or 5 good DBs are required to defend against the pass.

The Cards were #10 in the NFL in passing TDs allowed, and they were #2 in INTs. 18 of their 22 INTs came from DBs. (5th in passing yardage) They had 38 sacks.

The Seahawks were #2 in passing TDs allowed and #8 in INTs. 14 of their 18 INTs came from DBs. (6th in passing yardage) They had 36 sacks.
The 49ers were #4 in yards, #7 in passing TDs given up and #16 in INTs. They had 38 sacks.

The Ravens were #17 in yards and #19 in INTs, but they were #2 in passing TDs given up. The had exactly the same amount of sacks (37) as the Browns.

Now, I'm not against acquiring more pass rushers, but certainly not at the expense of losing a good DB.

The we just simply disagree on what the most important part of the defense is.

The only part of what you said that I agree with is that we need 4-5 "good" defensive backs. That is correct, but we don't need two ELITE DBs.

Those other teams you mentioned might have had as many sacks as us, but it's pretty clear they have a much better front 7

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
Marky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could get #9 somehow, then yes in a heartbeat. I don't know a scenario in which we this would happen, maybe like:

Revis and #9 for #6 and a 2014 2nd and 2013 3rd?

Then maybe trade down from #9 to get draft picks back?

XBL-theUrbanator69
Student @ smww.com
Twitter: @draft4mark
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
Revis and a 2nd for the 6th wouldn't be bad. Pending we can get an extension done. Front load the contract for this year so we can reach the cap floor

Revis would hold out almost immediately. From what I heard yesterday, REvis is looking for a contract commensurate with his position as a top 5-6 player in the league.

Are you willing to give him one of the largest contracts in the history of defensive players? I'm not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
sdrawkcab321 wrote:

Revis would hold out almost immediately. From what I heard yesterday, REvis is looking for a contract commensurate with his position as a top 5-6 player in the league.

Are you willing to give him one of the largest contracts in the history of defensive players? I'm not.

the dude held out for a contract; got it then held out the next year for more!

he's a total [inappropriate/removed] and isn't as good as he was 3 years ago.

pass.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
duke2056

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were just signing him as a free agent I still wouldnt be too enthused to give him a ton of money, though would be on board if they did.

Giving up a high pick to do it????? Lord no

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
If we were just signing him as a free agent I still wouldnt be too enthused to give him a ton of money, though would be on board if they did.

Has anyone even said they'd want to?

I think the thread was made and everyone including the OP realized it was a bad idea Laughing

pnies20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:

I think the thread was made and everyone including the OP realized it was a bad idea Laughing

Go back to the 1st page lol.

<3 JF
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to trade #6 for Revis if he wasn't an arse.

But, he is.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Mastercheddaar wrote:

that is all

Mastercheddaar

And to duke:

The we just simply disagree on what the most important part of the defense is.

The only part of what you said that I agree with is that we need 4-5 "good" defensive backs. That is correct, but we don't need two ELITE DBs.

Those other teams you mentioned might have had as many sacks as us, but it's pretty clear they have a much better front 7

I'm not sure we disagree that much duke. I never said that we need two elite DBs. But I will say that it wouldn't be bad. I also never said that the front 7 is less important than the secondary. I said our biggest weakness, by far, is in the secondary.

I don't think you draft a player or sign a FA to be elite in the first place. And certainly players that are drafted tend to produce elite results far more often than FAs.

We also don't need two elite pass rushers, but it doesn't hurt either.

Our disagreement comes from the idea that there is a "most important part of the defense". I could be wrong, but it seems like you, and some others, think that continuing to add to this "most important part" will fix glaring problems with other parts.

All parts of the defense are equally important since the opposing offense will try to capitalize on the weaker parts.

A pass rusher does not help a weak secondary unless he prevents pretty much all the passes from being thrown to receivers, right?

I am curious about what you think so many other front 7s did to be "much better" than ours.

Also, how many games do you think were lost last year due to weaknesses in our secondary?

How many were lost due to weaknesses in our pass rush or front 7?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:

Go back to the 1st page lol.

Oh no.

Haha

Haven't people changed their minds since then?

That would be such an awful idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: