Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Super Harbowl Round: Rayvens vs Gold Miners
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this the Ravens year (to win it all)?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 46 ]
No
26%
 26%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 63

RavensTillIDie

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Super Harbowl Round: Rayvens vs Gold Miners Reply with quote

VS

A LONG TIME COMING - Super Bowl XLVII
Baltimore Ravens (13-6) VS San Francisco 49ers (13-4-1)
Date: Sunday, February 3rd, 2013, 6:30pm EST
Channel: CBS

Sooooo let's do it old school; STORY TIME.

So the year is 2008, RTID is in his second semester as an undergrad and the Ravens are coming off one of their worst seasons in recent memory - a season in which they placed 4th in the AFC North! Long time head coach Brian Billick had just been fired and change was most certainly on the horizon.

As always, while change can be frightening, it can also be quite exhilarating contemplating the endless possibilities that could come about from it. Who were the Ravens going to pick up to replace Billick? The offensive genius down in Dallas? Maybe we'd promote from within and give Rex the nod? Or what about that polished pupil from New England? Regardless of what direction they chose to go, there was no way the front office could screw this one up, right? And yet out of all of the possible candidates, who do we end up with? A former special teams coordinator?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!

Eh, well at least he has a decent smile.

But whatever, least he decided to keep Rex on defense. And this Cam Cameron guy was pretty good back in the day with the Chargers, I think. I guess we could always do worse, not quite sure who would be worse at this exact moment in time, but I'm sure there's someone out there less qualified to be a head coach.....somewhere, maybe?

Ugh, screw it. Let's look towards the draft, that always seems to bring hope to an otherwise spiraling franchise. Maybe we'll trade up for Matt Ryan this year, or maybe we can find someone to replace the aging JO, like a Ryan Clady or Brandon Albert? Hell, maybe that BEAST Vernon Gholston will drop to us...*fingers crossed*. But wait, what...the...hell. Why does ESPN say we just drafted Bert from Sesame Street?!?!

RTID can be seen barely escaping an assault charge as he violently shakes his roommates at the time.

Why Ozzie?!? WHY!?!??!

WE GOT KYLE BOLLER DOUGH....KYLE...BOLLER....DOUGH!!!!

It's okay, just relax, breathe....breathe....In Ozzie we trust, right? Okay, as long as he doesn't screw up this next pick, we'll be okay.

With the 55th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Baltimore Ravens select Ray Rice, running back - Rutgers.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMNIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

What the hell Ozzie? We JUST traded for McGahee the year before! Come on! Welp, looks like this is going to be another long year, guess I'll have to start watching some more baseball....oh wait, I'm an Orioles' fan....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

And at this point, things just started to hit the fan. JO announced his retirement, all our QBs began to suffer from some form of ailment or another in the preseason - thus forcing the rookie into action, and our team as a whole just looked like complete crap prior to the start of the season. But then this strange little thing happened, the Ravens actually won their first game that year against the Cincinnati Bengals - a team that finished 10-6 the year before and second in the AFC North. And a large part of that win was credited to Joe and his improvisational skills, quite literally pulling out a 38 yard TD run from his arse to give the Ravens the edge in a hard-fought, 17-10 victory. Not bad unibrow, not bad.

The 2008 season went something like this, time and time again pulling out victories from games that we had no business of being in to begin with.

The Ravens would go on to post a 11-5 record that season, 2 of those losses coming against the Pittsburgh Steelers, a ominous sign of things to come. With a wild card birth wrapped up, the Ravens had already made it much farther than many had predicted prior to the start of the season, their own fans included.

In their wild card matchup, the Ravens would travel down to South Beach to face (and demolish) the Miami Dolphins - though no one knows for sure, some might say this was the start of our "Gatorade Showers" tradition - shout out to my main man BlaqOptic.

Side-note: This playoff run produced my favorite hype video of all time, and a video I love to share at whatever chance I get. So HERE you go.

After an epic victory in Tennesse in which Ray Ray posted one of these moments....

....the Ravens would move on to a date with their hated AFC North rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers. It was a tough, nail-biter of a game, and in the waning moments all the Ravens needed was a field goal to take the lead in the fourth quarter, but Joe decided to be a "rookie" at the worst possible time - throwing a pick six right into the hands of Troy Polamalu for what, essentially, put away the game for the Steelers. But as disappointing as that loss was, you couldn't really be all that mad; the Ravens had made it to a game most 'analysts' thought it would take years for this team to reach given the turnover it experienced in the off-season. There was most certainly a new found hope for the future.

The 2009 draft came and went; seemed more like a Hollywood auction than an NFL draft with the types of characters the Ravens selected. We ended up finding some guy who was coddled by Sandra Bullock to play tackle for us, some guy that sounded like he was from a horror movie to play opposite of Sizzle, and this guy who could of been a fill-in for Tobey MaGuire to play CB for us - word to Donald Glover.

The 2009 season however wasn't quite as interesting as the draft, it had it's fair share of ups and downs, the following being one of the more memorable "ups":

But somehow, the Ravens still managed to squeak into the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

And as we all know, anything can happen once you make it here. For example, the heavily favored New England Patriots getting trounced in their own home by the 6th seeded Baltimore Ravens - led by Joe Flacco and his 34 yards passing and 1 interception on the day. But in the immortal words of one of my favorite New England posters, "WE WOULD OF WON DOUGH IF YOU TAKE AWAY THAT ONE RAY RICE RUN!!?!!" Word.

But sadly, after the euphoria of crushing the pompous Pats had worn off, we found ourselves facing our arch-nemesis Peyton Manning at Indy with a hobbled quarterback. Needless to say, the outcome wasn't so pretty. Another year, another exit from the playoffs, but at least we once again made it here. So while not as hopeful as the year before, still hopeful nonetheless going into the off-season.

2010 was an exciting year; we completely revamped our receiving corps by signing Donte Stallworth and T.J. Houshmandzadeh in the off-season, as well as snatching Anquan Boldin from the Cardinals for the mere price of a 3rd and 4th round draft picks.

And the season itself seemed to start out with a bang, quite literally, as the Ravens first selection from the draft that year tumbled down a flight of stairs and fractured his skull. But the Ravens were not about to be unnerved (no pun intended) by one injury at the beginning of the year. To start the season, for the first time, the Ravens would face former defensive coordinator, and now head coach of the New York Jets, Rex Ryan. It was a hell of a way to start a season capped by one of the most vicious defensive stops in recent memory:

The Ravens would go onto post one of their best records in franchise history that year at 12-4, but like a younger sibling who could not get out of his older brother's shadow regardless of how hard they tried, the Ravens were once again forced to watch as the Steelers took the division crown - thus relegating the Ravens to the 5th seed in the playoffs.

So once again the Ravens would go on the road to face a hot upstart team in the Kansas City chiefs, a usually humble fan base that had gained a marginal sense of arrogance with their recent winning ways. Needless to say, the Ravens served up a rather large plate of humility that day, crushing the Chiefs 30-7. And after this games, there were slight murmurings that Flacco might, MIGHT just be an actually decent quarterback.

So what awaited the Ravens after that victory at Arrowhead? Ah, another date with the Steelers. Revenge would be ours, or so we hoped. Everyone knew what this game meant, how much it meant, and all the pain and agony that had gone into getting here. And the Ravens seemed to understand that better than anyone as they charged through the gates to amass a 21-7 lead at halftime. But a Ray Rice fumble here, a poorly handled snap there, sprinkled with a Joe Flacco interception for the hell of it allowed the Steelers to tie the game. And in a moment that will live in infamy, Roethlisberger did what Roethlisberger does best (no, not that), he hit rookie Antonio Brown on a 3rd-and-19 with under two minutes to go to set up Mendenhall for what would be the go ahead touchdown of the game. And while the Ravens still had a minor, yet still improbable, chance to comeback - all chance of that died on the fingertips of prized off-season acquisition, T.J. Houshmandzadeh. But no one player ever truly loses you a game, you win as a team and you lose as a team. Doesn't mean though that this loss didn't sting especially bad.

That once proud hope we experienced going into the off-season was beginning to turn into jaded pessimism with each mounting playoff exit.

The 2011 draft came and went, we picked up a couple of Smith's - one played defense while the other ran really fast. Nabbed my boy Chykie Brown and Pernell McPhee in the later rounds.

The off-season was certainly indicative of a collective change in our identity as long-time Ravens Todd Heap and Kelly Gregg, along with Derrick Mason, Willis McGahee, and Dawan Landry all were either released or ended up signing with different teams.

So what exactly were we to expect from this team? Would Joe finally take that next "step" in his progression? Would Ray Rice be able to carry the load by himself? Well, we were about to find out.

And what a hell of way to find out what this team was made of; in the first game of the season, the Ravens came out and absolutely DOMINATED the Pittsburgh Steelers 35-7 in a game in which RTID almost got kicked out of a BWW for being a little overly obnoxious. But to be fair, plays like these:

could get anyone a little overly hyped.

THIS. WAS. OUR. YEAR. I remember screaming that at the top of my lungs over and over again, trying to convince anyone that would listen. I was sure of it, absolutely sure of it.

The rest of the season did nothing to dispel my beliefs. After miraculous wins against the Texans and Cardinals, I was even further convinced that there was no way we didn't win it all this year.

And yes, finally, FINALLY we had done it. We earned ourselves the first division crown under Coach Harbaugh and secured ourselves a home playoff game. With expectations high, the Ravens did not disappoint. Though the Texans put up a pretty good fight, the home team managed to pull out a 20-13 victory - once again showing the newcomers how it was done.

We were here, once again, on the cusp of the Super Bowl. And all that stood in our way were those arrogant Patriots, if we could get through them, we would be one game away from our destiny. Though the details of that game are hazy, similar to a repressed memory perhaps, two moments will forever be etched into my brain...

and

I think Sizzle perfectly summed up the only words anyone could really utter after that sequence of events...

We had experienced exiting from the playoffs before. And last year was truly, truly a painful experience. But this one, this hurt in a way I can't even begin to describe. Knowing this was absolutely, positively our year. Investing so much of yourself into the belief that nothing would deter this team from finally reaching their goal. Yeah, this was possibly the worst possible way you could go out, and this vile taste would be left in all of our mouths until next season....

When the 2012 draft came, I think folks were just happy to know it was the start of a new season and we could finally begin to at least TRY and wipe that terrible taste from our mouths. We drafted a couple of guys that were expected to have some pretty prominent roles in their rookie seasons given the departures of key veterans in the off-season, but little did we know, it would be our 3rd round pick - a running back out of Temple who would go on to play a key role in a very magical season.

And I would try and describe how this season went, but I feel as though I could not do it justice given how eloquently BTerp worded it in a wonderfully written interview he did with GaTechRavens, located HERE.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I sort of went into this season not really expecting much, with Pagano leaving and Cam Cameron coming back and Suggs tearing his Achilles and initially being projected to miss the whole season, and the whole completely soul-crushing way in which last season ended for us in the first place. But then we came out of the gates picking up some wins And then that Cowboys game happened where Webb and Ray Lewis both got knocked out for the season and I thought, ok, this just definitely isn't our year. And then we got on another hot streak and hey diddle diddle happened and NFL Gen declared 4th and 29 screen pass conversions completely mundane and I thought, "Hey, I don't know how, but we keep winning." And then we started finding new and interesting ways to lose to Kirk Cousins and Charlie Batch and the sky went back to falling.

And yet, through all of that, we somehow pulled it together in the end. Getting hot at the right time was all that mattered in the end. Firing Cam Cameron and reshuffling the offensive line were probably two of the biggest catalysts for it. But this ride has just been amazing. After knocking on the door for so long, it's great to finally be in a big one. And the way we did it too, with that absolutely crazy win over Denver, and then that 2nd half against New England was just bonkers. And winning when you're an underdog is always a little more gratifying, so it's been fun to see the Ravens, as sort of this ugly stepchild zombie contender that keeps getting back up after everyone counts them out.

Again, I could try to elaborate on these past few playoff wins, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So here we stand, on the cusp of immortality. One win away from hoisting that Lombardi trophy and proclaiming Baltimore the city of champions. This has been a magical run to get here. And not just this season, when I say run, I mean every single moment leading up to this; from the day we hired Harbaugh to when Ray stuffed Sproles on 4th down, from when TJ dropped that pass to when Cundiff missed that kick, from when we got humiliated by the Texans in the regular season to when we FINALLY wriggled out of the death grip of Peyton Manning in a playoff game. A wise man once told me that it is our failures that make our successes taste all the more sweeter. This Ravens team has failed over and over again, so that is why it feels so damn good to finally see them succeed. No matter what happens on Sunday, you have to be quite impressed with what this team has been able to accomplish. Not bad for an "over-the-hill" team lead by a special teams coordinator, a oafish quarterback from division 1-AA, and a linebacker WELL past his prime in his 17th year. Not bad at all.

But screw saying this is enough or we're satisfied with where we are. You don't get to the greatest pinnacle in all of sports to idly stand by and watch as the other guy takes your prized possession from you. This is no longer about it being "our year" or "destiny", this is so much more than that. This Ravens team is the embodiment of mind over matter, giving it your all to reach one common goal, pushing yourself past any physical barrier. We shouldn't be here, at least that's what the "experts" say, we shouldn't have even bothered playing in any of the games up to this point, again according to the "experts". But look where we stand; on the brink of greatness. This Sunday we will show our opponents no mercy for they will show us none in return, rather we will make them and the whole world see how RAVENS football is truly played. For all those pundits and prognosticators that want to continue to yap about Colin Kapernick and blatantly ignore Joe Flacco, for all those who want to anoint Patrick Willis and quickly dismiss Ray Lewis, for all those who want to once again label the Ravens as the underdogs....after this Sunday, to quote a somewhat famous poet, "Quoth the raven, 'Nevermore.'"

With that, I will leave you with these fine words...

Ray Lewis wrote:
I've always been told that Iím too small, Iím not big enough, Iím not fast enough, I donít have what it takes.

To be the best and stay there, sweat is necessary.

Walter and Jerry had their hills, never being comfortable, with just good enough.

Its right now or never, its right now or never

I prepare so no one can take what is mine, no one can replace my mind, my heart. (come on defense)

Lombardi inspired me, and now our biggest prize, bares his name.

Iím older, of course Iím older, thatís the beauty of it.

16 years plus, different level of wisdom, different level of understanding, different level of punishment.

I wanna live LOOONG after my records have fallen, long after my rings have tarnished.

And whatever you got to do, to make sure you chase your legacy every second of your life.

Will you be remembered, how would you be remembered, why wouldn't you fight for the greatest achievement ever?

LeaveÖYourÖMarkÖ

Last edited by RavensTillIDie on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 am; edited 4 times in total
nevermore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Super Harbowl Round: Rayvens vs Gold Miners Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
[...], but need to put some "finishing" touches on it.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
canucks9314

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling It - Ed Reed return TD either punt or int.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Super Harbowl Round: Rayvens vs Gold Miners Reply with quote

nevermore wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
[...], but need to put some "finishing" touches on it.

Perfect reaction to opening this thread in current state. I believe RTID is a-cookin'a sometin up doe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we come out the tunnel to Seven Nation Army? Got to right?

Free Ray Rice
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Super Harbowl Round: Rayvens vs Gold Miners Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
VS

A LONG TIME COMING - Super Bowl XLVII
Baltimore Ravens (13-6) VS San Francisco 49ers (13-4-1)
Date: Sunday, February 3rd, 2013, 6:30pm EST
Channel: CBS

[Insert Finished GDT Here]

Thought I'd at least get the thread up for the time being. Got around to working on the GDT today, but need to put some "finishing" touches on it. Hopefully I can add those after work/class tomorrow.

Don't get me too excited........

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
Nucky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I still can't believe we're in this game. Seeing the thread name felt good.
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
Greenlaser86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a second, I thought they moved the Superbowl to M&T Bank Stadium.....
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers pass protection is a weakness IMO. I like how we matchup there. Their defense has looked mortal the last month or so and our pass pro has been stellar. Kaepernick is a stud. I think he will have a great game but we have a lot of time to prepare. I don't see us making the mistake Previous teams have by daring him to beat us through the air, which he can. I believe we can come up with something to hold him to around 20-24. Then there is the X factor, David Akers. I've had the same feeling I had with Cundiff last year that he could very well send them home in a tight game.

Ravens 23, 49ers 20

Free Ray Rice
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that gives me confidence in our team vs. Kaepernick is that we generally have a very disciplined, very intelligent defense. QBs that can run have typically not really hurt us much themselves.

Unlike DTMB, I do think we need to force Kaepernick to throw it to beat us. Their receivers aren't the best, aside from Vernon Davis, so I think we have to force them into that role. That allows our opportunistic secondary to try and jump a route or two. I think the one thing we really have to be weary of is Davis up the seam -- keep a safety above him at all times. Our LBs struggle to cover the middle of the field, so we can't let him get deep. Crabtree is a more underneath guy and we typically play those kinds well, so I don't see him as too big of a threat. Moss still has speed, but he's not what he once was.

I agree with DTMB that the 49ers defense has looked vulnerable a bit recently, but this gives them another 2 weeks off, so I think we see Justin Smith a good bit healthier. That will open things up for Aldon. If we can neutralize Smith with a single blocker for a good portion of the game (asking a lot, I know, however KO did lock down Wilfork very well), Aldon will struggle getting pressure, giving Joe time to make the throws we know he can make.

Overall, I like the matchup pretty well. It's just going to come down to which team executes, and likely a single big play.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
RavensTillIDie

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenlaser86 wrote:
For a second, I thought they moved the Superbowl to M&T Bank Stadium.....

Embarassed

I totally didn't copy the base format from our GDT versus the Niners last year.....

Laughing
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer 'Harbagedon' to all of the monikers being strewn out there.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.Ē
Ataal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to stop in and say good luck, guys!

Would love to win it, but I think the fact that we're in the big game still hasn't sunk in yet. Relevancy, oh how I've missed you!

This is the matchup I wanted since last season. Just screams epic SuperBowl, minus the Beyonce half-time show, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To mirror what Flaccomania said, I think we must make Kaep beat us through the air, not on the ground. I feel like Kaepernick is a better runner than he is passer. I also feel like he ALWAYS throws lasers (as any baseball player would), and thus maybe a couple of overthrows will lead to an Ed Reed INT?

Beyond that, I think a critical part of the gameplan should be to force them to kick field goals. If we can beat Brady by making him go 10 play drives every time, we can beat Kaepernick. The trick is to contain Vernon Davis and the big plays. If we can limit the big plays, force them to drive, and then settle for David Akers FG's, I really REALLY like our chances to win.

However, Vernon Davis is a specimen at TE. He's not Jacob Tamme, he's not Aaron Hernandez, he's a WR playing TE, so we have to use Graham or even Ihedigbo on him, not linebackers. If we remove Vernon Davis from the game and make their WR's beat us, I like our chances considering Moss is a one-trick pony who's one trick isn't that good anymore. Crabtree is useless unless it's a short route and he breaks a tackle, and they really have nobody else who's a threat.

On the offensive side of the ball, we just need to keep doing what we've been doing. I don't think their corners are that great, and I've said that all year long and I truly believe that. They don't have a guy who can match Torrey's speed, they don't have a guy who can match Q's physicality, and they certainly don't have another guy to keep up with Jacoby Jones. The X-Factor though, is Ray Rice. I don't think Ray Rice is going to do much against those ILB's that SF has, but aside from their secondadry their biggest weakness is Ahmad Brooks. He's not quick, he's not agile, he's just a watered down version of Jarret Johnson and if we force him into coverage, we can certainly exploit him.

In terms of the Smith's, like others have said if you can beat Justin Smith with 1 blocker, Aldon Smith becomes a non-factor. 0 sacks since Justin Smith went down with an injury and I don't think he's going to suddenly go back to being a beast in the next 2 weeks. If we can handle the TE stunt they run, we can beat their pass rush, and then if we beat their pass rush, Joe WILL exploit that weak CB core they have.

All in all, I like this game and I don't like this game. I love this game if we can hold their offense to FG's and not touchdowns. I don't like this game if we can't block the Smith's and they can run wild on Flacco.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 1 of 35

Jump to: